View Full Version : guided hunts

yukon john
02-03-2009, 12:18 PM

40inchtwister
02-03-2009, 12:44 PM
does it count if you guide yourself???

Big7
02-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Never had the money to go on a guided hunt.....

I've done well so far with just myself as a "guide!!"

Would like to go to Africa though...maybe one day!

Skeena Hunter 1
02-03-2009, 01:18 PM
This thread will be EPIC!:smile:

boxhitch
02-03-2009, 01:21 PM
i have heard some real horror stories such as guys booking 40 sheep hunters a year and only taking 3 rams or drunken guides and poaching outfitters
You know what they say about stories.......

there is a few good one that make your hunt the adventure of a lifetime.
These must be rare, look at the number of non-resident hunters that continue to come here.

boxhitch
02-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Would love to go on a guided hunt.
25 day, horseback support, mixed bag........

Gateholio
02-03-2009, 01:25 PM
I've guided more than a few new hunters on thier first deer or bear trips. Most have been pretty memorable.:smile:

bridger
02-03-2009, 01:33 PM
have been on three guided dall sheep hunts two in the northwest territories, one in the yukon. awesome trips well worth the costs even tho it took a while to save the money. would do it again in a heartbeat. Fortunately i knew all three outfitters personally and knew the type of men they were. If I hadn't things might not have turned out so well.

MattW
02-03-2009, 01:36 PM
My wife and I went on a guided plains game hunt in South Africa. It was better than we could have imagined, a really great time. We were the only clients in camp and all the staff were wonderful, made us feel like part of the family. There was plenty of game, beautiful scenery and lots of interesting non-game species to enjoy. Our guide was about the same age as us and just out of school where he'd been studying ecology so he knew a lot about all the plants and birds and shared a lot. All the equipment was top notch and my own gear all worked well also. I shot well and all the game was taken cleanly and quickly so I'd have to say it was a very good experience.

Gateholio
02-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Would love to go on a guided hunt.
25 day, horseback support, mixed bag........

x2 And it's something I have been thinking about for awhile. Even if it is unguided, but someone that can meet you somewhere to fly out meat if neccessary, and someone to wrangle horses while you hunt. I guess that gets into the "transporter" area of things, though.:?

02-03-2009, 09:48 PM
I've been on three hunts with transporters, no bad experiances to report.

Gateholio
02-03-2009, 10:57 PM
I've got nothing agianst transporters, I just mean you woudl be constrained to operate in thier territory. I guess what I mean is, wouldn't it be nice to hire some horses and a wrangler and go on a 25 day trip, go anywhere you want, and if you get a moose, you find an airstrip and get meat flown out, etc.

I always wondered about the meat when you see the old pack train trips for a month. Must be a pain in the ass unless you had lots of help.:smile:

GoatGuy
02-03-2009, 11:22 PM
Buddies are/were guides, does that count?

boxhitch
02-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Buddies are/were guides, does that count?You suggesting that if someone else paid all the expenses , you and gang would take a 'friend' out for a month ?? No profit, of course.

GoatGuy
02-04-2009, 08:29 PM
You suggesting that if someone else paid all the expenses , you and gang would take a 'friend' out for a month ?? No profit, of course.

No silly, we share expenses.:razz: Sometimes we have a deal like, if you shoot a deer I'll buy your next tag or I'll pack it out for you. You know fun stuff to try to get guys to burn their tag.

If you're smart you'll make a deal with your buddy. Whoever shoots it doesn't have to gut it. Bang, bang. Two deer down! hahaha! Then make sure you don't hunt with him for the rest of the season.

I was just asking if your buddies were/are guides if that counts.

gamehunter6o
02-05-2009, 02:22 AM
My first guided hunt was 1986 for elk out from Edmonton. It was organised by a friend of a friend who it later turned out got a free hunt out of it. The "guides" were green amatures and the four of us were their only clients ever. Learnt a lot and had some fun.
Next was a trip to Kazakhstan in 1995 for Maral (mid asian wapiti) and ibex. It was booked through a US outfitter that had a fantastic trip the year before. We saw photos and spoke to two of the hunters so booked to go on exactly the same hunt. It was a cock up from the start. We were flown to a hunting block in nor western Kazakhstan were the deer are red maral cross type. When we asked why we weren't in the Tian Shan mountains we got answers like "colorea in the area, there's a war going on or Greenpeace has closed it". We turned down a couple of "maral" each as they were too small and were then flown to an bare mountain range for an ibex. The camp hygiene was poor and we both got Delhi belly but managed to get an ibex each.
I met a local outfitter and went back the next year by myself to the Tian Shan range and got a 6x6 maral.
My 4th guided hunt was to Queensland, Australia for a chittal or axis deer.
Had a great 5 day free range hunt with a guide and his partner (sheila) and scored a lovely buck.
In September 2008 I hunted elk in northern BC. In 10 days I did a lot of miles, got some great video but shot nothing. A great guide and booked in to hunt same area next Sept.
Each one of my hunts has been an adventure into something other than NZ bush etc. All in all it's cost me a lot of money to bring home a few trophies, but it is the experiencing different bush, animals, cultures and meeting other hunters that make all of my trips memorable.
If a trip is not going the best, roll with the punches and go with the flow as abusing the outfitter won't in the end do much good as your hunting time is counting down and you've paid your dough. It's easier to try and be constructive than be destructive.

If you must kill something to achieve a great hunt, go for a "canned hunt", there's plenty of them available worldwide.
And if you want every thing to run like clockwork, go on an ocean cruise.