PDA

View Full Version : Big Mainland two point

Geo.338
02-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Deer hunting on the mainland around here this year was quite slow .I put in about twenty days with the rifle and a few with my bow .I was lucky enough to score on anice two point in mid November .
I do not know how to post pics so if someone can help me out here that would be great .

As mentioned, I put alot of time in this year looking for a blacktail buck .I was seeing alot of does but nothing with horns.I felt that it was only a matter of time before I would see a buck with some of these does.

I had about three different spots that I was frequenting and one in particular that I had a really good feeling about .So did someone else as we seemed to be in competition for it .
I parked my truck at the bottom of the spur rd and walked the 1.5 K uphill in the dark only to find a truck already parked up in the cutblock.Discouraged I turned around and headed back to the truck to go elsewhere.
This went on for about two weeks off and on ,sometimes I would get there first and sometimes not .One morning I was just parking to walk when a truck pulls up ,it is my competitor .After a short quiet chat he tells me that he took a buck out the week before but he knows there is a bigger one around .

I hunt the morning with no luck .We have a cabin nearby so I head down for lunch and a nap .So after lunch I decide to go to another cutblock about 1K away(as the crow flies) from the other spot .I am just getting out of the truck when a quad come out of the road I am going into .After a chat with the hunter I decide to go into the road anyways .

The cutblock was pretty fresh but there were quite a few tracks around .I thoroughly glassed the slash as I was heading in .Seeing nothing .I walked back to the furthes reaches and stayed until almost dark .

As I am walking out I spot a deer standing in a spot I had just glassed minutes earlier .I glass it and it is a doe .It walks up the road out of sight .I start walking again and a couple of minutes goes by and I see another animal purposely walking up the road near where I saw the doe .Too dark now I cannot tell if it it a buck or not but it appeared to be following the same path as the first deer .
Darkness falls and I am forced to leave .I quietly walk out past where I saw the deer and head home.Planning to come back in the morning.

I arrive and park just as it is getting light out .I am in total stealth mode as I approach the cutblock .I glass every visable nook and cranny before moving and repeating the process .I spot a big set of tracks on the road heading in .

I am just about to pass by the first clearing headin towards the second one when something catche my eye .There is a large doe standing about 70 yds downhill staring right at me .I look around not seeing any other deer I take a couple of steps and right before my eyes a large buck appears .It is standing facing me sraight on and it is totally focussed on the doe .I can see his antlers but cannot tell how many points but I know he is a shooter .I take a few more quiet steps to get a bit of a quartering
shot on him .I put my crosshairs just behind the front leg and squeeze the trigger .The buck just stands there and I chamber another round and just as I am wondering if I am going to have to shoot again he falls over .

I visually land mark the spot and pull out my thermos to enjoy a cofee in the early sunlight .Cofee over I walk down to where he lays and find him .A nice big 2 point with gnarly bases and brow tines .He is a nice mature buck but he looks like he should have had more antler on him.

I dress him out and drag him down to the bottom rd. and walk back to the truck to get the quad.I cant help but smile as the sun is coming up and this is a great morning.

If someone can post pics up for me I have a few .After seeing Blacktailslayers thread I decided to measure him up and I come up with
97 2/8 B&C .

BlacktailStalker
02-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Here ya go, nice story and nice buck.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/DSC03950.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/DSC03955.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/DSC03957.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/DSC03934.jpg

farside
02-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Very very nice!!

Tikka7mm
02-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Nice looking BT Geo. He looks like he has a decent size body on him as well...he definitely looks to be a little swollen around the neck. What time of year did you get him?

proguide66
02-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Cool buck!!...you can tell he is probably old due to the broad muzzle..!!

bsa30-06
02-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Great lookin buck.

Charger440
02-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Geo,
Glad to see you got a buck that you worked so hard for:smile:. You mentioned spotting only does on your trips. Are you going far out from Vancouver? The reason I ask is about 2 hrs. drive from the lower mainland I had chances at seven bucks last season(including a group of 4 bucks) and I took a nice 4 point. I saw no does on scouting or hunting trips. Interesting story I'd like to put on this forum if there's any interest.

Again,...Nice buck.

proguide66
02-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Geo,
Glad to see you got a buck that you worked so hard for:smile:. You mentioned spotting only does on your trips. Are you going far out from Vancouver? The reason I ask is about 2 hrs. drive from the lower mainland I had chances at seven bucks last season(including a group of 4 bucks) and I took a nice 4 point. I saw no does on scouting or hunting trips. Interesting story I'd like to put on this forum if there's any interest.

Again,...Nice buck.you kiddin?...more b tails the better! put em up!

sparkes3
02-03-2009, 06:48 PM
nice buck man

wildman 22
02-03-2009, 07:37 PM
nice deer geo, got to try hunting up there (powell river?)have family that lives up in them parts.you can post pics of some of the nice rosies that are up in that neck of the woods ,if you have any. wildman 22

duckhunt
02-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Thats a nice big two point congratulations.

drakfero
02-04-2009, 12:57 AM
yup , just finished deer gulash.. was soo good. I allmost did not want to share with my wife :)

ElectricDyck
02-04-2009, 01:23 AM
Right on! Nice to read about deer hunting in February!

hunter1947
02-04-2009, 06:51 AM
Very nice 2x2 you got there George ,a pic of you finally http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Congrats on getting this big 2x2,

kennyj
02-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Thats an awesome 2 point! Love those wiggly tines.
kenny