PDA

View Full Version : Fly in trip. How to's.

BiG Boar
02-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Hey guys, never been on a fly in. Would like to plan something this year. However I have never been on one. What are the steps to planning a fly in. What should I look out for, ever have any problems? How much gear can I bring? How many people is best to go with. How do I find a pilot once I have an area picked out. I am hoping to go for elk or moose. Any tips or tricks or trips I should do would be a great start. Thanks Dave

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Most of your questions can be answered once you decide where you want to go (ie gear, plane, company). Budget may also dictate where you go.

I'd pick the species/spot first than deal with the logistics.

BiG Boar
02-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Okay, so elk or moose? I would love to get a monster of each. What would be better to start with? Anyone who has any interesting experiences/on fly ins or things to look for or look out for, post away.

BCrams
02-02-2009, 01:26 PM
That would be an expensive trip if you bail out 3-4 days into your trip :)

I actually have 1 tip.

Leave the Sat phone behind. You then have to hunt the duration until your planned pick up date.

Barracuda
02-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Were you born with a silver spoon in your ass LOL!!!

I would agree with the others choose the species area outfitter .

if you want moose Alaska sub has the MAGNUM headgear for NA .

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 01:37 PM
That would be an expensive trip if you bail out 3-4 days into your trip :)

I actually have 1 tip.

Leave the Sat phone behind. You then have to hunt the duration until your planned pick up date.

Done that - it gets pretty boring after you blow up your knee.:razz:

BCrams
02-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Okay, so elk or moose? I would love to get a monster of each. What would be better to start with? Anyone who has any interesting experiences/on fly ins or things to look for or look out for, post away.

Book an outfitter in Alaska / Yukon for moose and then an outfitter for elk somewhere.

BCrams
02-02-2009, 01:41 PM

Ouch.......

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 01:47 PM

Moose can be easier to hunt and there's plenty of spots for big elk that are relatively easily accessed by boat, raft, foot. I'd look into the northern half of region 6 and you can double up on caribou.

You should be able to take 2 guys, gear and a moose out in a beaver. Bruce is the guy out of Dease. If you're hunting moose you can take a wall tent and live pretty comfortably. Also try to track down a small inflatable and a motor.

Look through the BC Record book and compare to maps, find a couple lakes and then ask about them on here.

Take lots of meat bags and a sat phone.

Be prepared to pass up some bulls. Here's a small one.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/email6.JPG

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Ouch.......

yes, it hurts.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Moose/elk means you should be looking at something the size of a beaver.
Payload is 1100lbs(or is it 1200??).

Need to figure out where you want to go and what lake you want to fly out of.

Moose/elk.... most likely Sept so you should bank on taking a wall tent and stove.

Number of guys?? I'd go with 2 or 4. 3 can work but it always good to have two guys hunt different directions.

Lots of questions need to be answered so we can help narrow it down.

SSS

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Moose/elk means you should be looking at something the size of a beaver.
Payload is 1100lbs(or is it 1200??).

Keep the floats above the water and you're good to go.

jml11
02-02-2009, 02:07 PM
I've been on a few fly-in trips for moose/elk. If you want a monster of both consider an extended hunt 12-14 days as you will have to work to find them, especially since they rut at different times. Having said that I have had opportunites at both 6 point elk and 50"+ moose in the same week. Took the 6 point elk, passed on the moose....

Also have a few guys with you. Three guys can pack out a big elk in one trip but four is better. The same number can pack out the moose but it better not be far away from camp!

On our trips we typically limit out on Elk, but we are not very picky, usually. Moose are rarely taken unless they are on/near the lake just based on logistics of packing. I have had opportunities at 55" in monsters but easliy passed due to distance required to pack and the "look" i've gotten from hunting partners. Most of the moose have been two point bulls grazing on veg along the shore. Only once did we hammer the moose, 8 IIRC, and two were 50" plus, but we were staying with the outiftter that year and had access to his horses...One year I will commit to getting a big moose and spend the rest of the week packing if I have too!

Fly-in trips are great opportuniteis that get you into spectucalur country, typically abound with game. They are also a lot of work, make a good base camp as many idividuals end up spending a lot of time there as the country is rugged and they just can't take it (on that note, make sure you are taking along passionate, strong backed hunting partners!). Our camps have always ended up with one or two camp B*****s after day two....I have been much more sore and tired after a week of chasing elk and packing meat than I ever have chasing sheep!

25tikka
02-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Fly ins can be as easy or hard as you like to make them. Moose is quite easy as they tend to be near the lake shores so getting them to camp is not usually too tough. I fly out of Tatogga lake part of the year. Will be advertising on HBC very soon. I can maybe help you with any questions if you PM me.

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Fly ins can be as easy or hard as you like to make them. Moose is quite easy as they tend to be near the lake shores so getting them to camp is not usually too tough. I fly out of Tatogga lake part of the year. Will be advertising on HBC very soon. I can maybe help you with any questions if you PM me.

Doug finally found his replacement?

25tikka
02-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Not really.....I do some fill in for him but sounds like he may not come back this year.....We have a new guy with tons of experience for the full time spot.I am usually out of Prince Rupert

BlacktailStalker
02-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Just a thought, but why fly in for moose or elk?
Those species can be had in both quality and abundance by cheaper transport?
Plus, depending on the time of year, thats a lot of meat you may lose if you wanted to get a "whole" hunt in for your time (2 weeks)
The sheep hunt I want to do next year is $3500 return :shock:, Cesna 185, 650-700lbs max weight but well worth it if I got a sheep ! Plus goats, leh grizz and moose around the lake I'd be dropped off at...

Maybe look at something like that where you'd get a crack at a harder to come by trophy (sheep, caribou or w.h.y) and then hunt one of the "bonus" animals likely to be around if you tag out early?
Just an opinion to get more bang for your buck is all.

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Not really.....I do some fill in for him but sounds like he may not come back this year.....We have a new guy with tons of experience for the full time spot.I am usually out of Prince Rupert

I think he likes it in Mexico too much.

Good deal.

BiG Boar
02-03-2009, 08:28 AM
I would like to think that there are areas that abound with game that you can walk or drive into, however I have heard if you can just get a few miles past all the walkers and drivers then you get into way more game. And it makes scence to me. I would like to do a fly in for anything, just to see what this would be like. I thought about sheep, but for people who dont hunt much, sheep is usually last on thier list. Most part time hunters like to just go for mass quantities of meat. The hard part for me is finding people who want to hunt this seriously. I just figured if I had some idea of what a fly in would be like I could sell it easier to the non-serious-hunters, I have hunted with in the past. I thought drive way up north and do a short flight in somewhere for elk or moose rut this year.

Blainer
02-03-2009, 09:13 AM
I would like to think that there are areas that abound with game that you can walk or drive into, however I have heard if you can just get a few miles past all the walkers and drivers then you get into way more game. And it makes scence to me. I would like to do a fly in for anything, just to see what this would be like. I thought about sheep, but for people who dont hunt much, sheep is usually last on thier list. Most part time hunters like to just go for mass quantities of meat. The hard part for me is finding people who want to hunt this seriously. I just figured if I had some idea of what a fly in would be like I could sell it easier to the non-serious-hunters, I have hunted with in the past. I thought drive way up north and do a short flight in somewhere for elk or moose rut this year.Most of us drive or walk because after years of hunting we have discovered our honey holes.Most also don't want to incur a $20,0000+ bill each year for hunting ,not to mention taxidermy cost's as well..Nevada,Florida,New Zealand,and now fly in hunt in the same year is costly.I opt for 1 big hunt each year and then I start preparations for the next year;mind you plans can change with the results of the L.E.H..Although if I was to win the lottery,then maybe I would hunt more exotic.
I have been looking at guides in North America and it seems to me that the Africa hunts are better value.I would also like to try Caribou in Quebec.
I believe you are on the right path as far as driving north and chartering a flight.
Keep us posted.

BCrams
02-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Talk to Srupp (the guy you went with for sheep)

He certainly has had good success in the past for big bull moose on fly in trips.

Kody94
02-03-2009, 08:47 PM
I actually have 1 tip.

Yah, I ain't leavin the sat phone behind any time soon either. :) Once burned, twice shy!

GoatGuy
02-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Yah, I ain't leavin the sat phone behind any time soon either. :) Once burned, twice shy!

Or atleast a SPOT tracker.

Kirby
02-03-2009, 10:43 PM

Thats my new toy as well. Hopefully I don't have to find out how well it works.

Kirby

BCrams
02-03-2009, 10:45 PM

Definatly !!!

roadrunner
04-24-2012, 05:45 AM
new to this site not sure if this is allowed but here goes is bruce a pilot and how would i contact him? thanx roadrunner

digger dogger
04-24-2012, 06:59 AM
Bruce Mcnaughten? BC YUkon Air in DEase lake? I'm sure google will have the #

srupp
04-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Dave fly in moose is about Timing sept 26th- oct 15th..
it doesnt take much distance from rivers and rds to access lots of moose..the plane does in fact make a BIG difference
the small fold up boat you already have
wall tents are nice I have uesed a 4 season pack tent
Bruce can pack 2 appt blocks into his plane PHENOMINAL PILOT..
learn to do moose calling they will show up..promise..

some days had 5 or more moose show up

more than once we HAVE SHOT 2 moose on one day..not the smartest..lol lots of time we could have..

dont shoot the first one unless he is a cranker..55 is doable every trip..so far we have been up to 60" Tims last year was particularly large bull..

I could fax you my list for fly ins for moose..and some lakes that have been kind to me...

cheers

Steven

BiG Boar
04-25-2012, 04:48 PM
I could fax you my list for fly ins for moose..and some lakes that have been kind to me...

cheers

Steven

Ah, I understand the call now today. However, this thread is from 2009. Already got a moosey!

Stone Sheep Steve
04-25-2012, 06:15 PM
new to this site not sure if this is allowed but here goes is bruce a pilot and how would i contact him? thanx roadrunner
Or send him a pm... bcyukonair . HBC is such a a great place!

SSS

kayjayess
04-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Having a tough time trying to track Bruce down. I have sent a PM and a phone call has had no success. Maybe Bruce & Terry are on holidays down South??? If anyone has tracked them down let me know.

GoatGuy
04-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Having a tough time trying to track Bruce down. I have sent a PM and a phone call has had no success. Maybe Bruce & Terry are on holidays down South??? If anyone has tracked them down let me know.
Probably sailing somewhere.

Wild Images
04-26-2012, 10:39 AM
I talked with Terry last week and she said that Bruce had gone to Dease, when we talked he hadn't taken the phone off call forward yet but should have by now
Call early if you want to catch him inside