PDA

View Full Version : Best Backpacking tent....?

kootenayslam
02-02-2009, 12:42 PM
I'm looking at a tent upgrade for this season, used primarily for backpack sheep/mule deer hunts, something to hold up to some nasty snow squals but light at the same time........i'm leaning towards the MSR hubba hubba 2 man tent, anyone have a favorite backpacking tent they can recommend??

brenden
02-02-2009, 12:49 PM
I have a Sierra Designs "Clip Flashight II". It has been a really good tent. I havn't had it long it is holding up well. I think it weighs about 4.75lbs and is quite compact when packed into the stuff sack. I'm not sure if they make that exact model anymore but they have similiar models. MSR tents are really good as well. You wouldn't go wrong with either. Too bad we can't support the anti-hunting MEC.... they make some nice tents at great prices. I want to get a OR bivvy next...

Chuck
02-02-2009, 01:01 PM
I have a two man tent I bought from "Blacks of Greenoch", has a sewn in ground sheet, fly and aluminum A frame. Weighs about 5 lbs. total. Also have a down filled mummy style sleeping bag - rolls up to the size of a loaf of bread - good to zero F. Haven't used them since 1968 and still in good looking shape. I'll throw them out one day.

BiG Boar
02-02-2009, 01:02 PM
I bought the hubba hubba, worked well for 2 200 lbs guys. Its best for one guy though if you have gear in the tent. Had it in 70 mph wind for 4 days and slept like a baby. Though it was leaning on me during some of the gusts. Rained a lot, no snow, but vents quite well. While I was at MEC I told the guy I was using it to hunt sheep. He said it would work perfect. And it did. Though I went home sheepless, I didnt go home sleepless. Dont settle for anything less.

pitbell
02-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Sounds like you should be looking at a 4 season tent. The original hubba is not designed for a snow load. They do offer a new Hubba HP model that would be a better choice, however I would look at something a little sturdier for late season. If you are a fan of MSR the Fury would be a good choice. I have used it a couple of times and it is tough as nails.

bigwhiteys
02-02-2009, 01:19 PM
I went with a Integral Designs MKIII as I wanted a bombproof 4 season tent. If it's good enough for Everest expeditions it's good enough for a sheep hunt in BC.

Sleeps 2 guys, weighs about 5lbs and costs close to $800. Even though it's made in Canada you can only buy it from the US.

Carl

scott h
02-02-2009, 01:23 PM
I've got 2 sierra designs, #1 flashlight clip as mentioned previously-very small package , weight , strong , easy set up, hard to get much gear in if lousy weather as it's very small. #2 S.D. dome tent ( can't remember model name). Larger package and weight (2-3 lbs more), easy set up, handle's big weather, good room to keep more gear dry. Both are great tents and I've used them extensively from alpine to beach front . I've packed them on my back, bike and truck and never been let down. I would have a tendency to say the dome if your going to be two people using it and the Clip if only yourself in it.
Anyways that's my 2 cents.
Good luck !

Krico
02-02-2009, 02:14 PM
I've been casually shopping for tents lately too - and like everything else for backpacking, there's lots of options out there. The same names always seem to come up whenever tents are discussed. MSR, Mountain Hardware, Integral Designs, Big Agnes, Sierra Designs, North Face...the list goes on.
It's pretty easy to compare specs on all of them. Deciding what is most important to you in the tent will likely be the toughest choice. Do you want it light? Bombproof? Cheap? Pick any two.

boxhitch
02-02-2009, 02:23 PM
I usually get by with a good canvas top tarp over a pile of boughs, toss in a couple of felt pads, string up an Eviro Blue Tarp over top.
If the winds get gusty, just flip up the coat collar.
Under this, the sky is always blue.
And you can see the neighbours coming to visit.

Maxx
02-02-2009, 03:04 PM
I have a Big Agnes SL2- very light and well built- drawbacks are only 1 vestibule.

http://www.bigagnes.com/str_tents.php?bid=8

Rob
02-02-2009, 03:21 PM
I usually get by with a good canvas top tarp over a pile of boughs, toss in a couple of felt pads, string up an Eviro Blue Tarp over top.
If the winds get gusty, just flip up the coat collar.
Under this, the sky is always blue.
And you can see the neighbours coming to visit.

Nice and simple! any pics of camp?? Stony wolf prod. had a film out called "the lost antlers" and this is how he camped. Rob

kootenayslam
02-02-2009, 08:44 PM
thanks, yeah there seems to be a few in the same quality / price range......expidition tents look like the way to go though it sounds....

Rackmastr
02-03-2009, 12:30 AM
I havent put it through a pile of testing....but first impressions I REALLY like my Hilleberg Akto tent.....very nice peice of kit.

Lone Ranger
02-03-2009, 01:00 AM
I don't know if I could really sleep well knowing I'm sleeping in a tent named "Hubba Hubba" with another guy.. Yeesh.. :p

I usually just buy those cheap POS Crappy Tire tents and run 'em til they die. They're typically about $40 on sale, last a reasonably decent length of time if you treat them ok, and they're lightweight. I've bought expensive tents and have personally found that they last not a whole lot longer than the cheap ones. For me, a properly built tent is a canvas cabin wall (and I know they're completely impractical for hiking). LR

BCRiverBoater
02-03-2009, 06:23 AM
I don't know if I could really sleep well knowing I'm sleeping in a tent named "Hubba Hubba" with another guy.. Yeesh.. :p

I usually just buy those cheap POS Crappy Tire tents and run 'em til they die. They're typically about $40 on sale, last a reasonably decent length of time if you treat them ok, and they're lightweight. I've bought expensive tents and have personally found that they last not a whole lot longer than the cheap ones. For me, a properly built tent is a canvas cabin wall (and I know they're completely impractical for hiking). LR

I agree the name is a little strange for 2 guys lost in the woods.

But as far as going cheap when in the mountains...not a chance! I have seen cheap tents leak, blow over and bend poles, have seen poles break completely under snow load.

There is three things I will not cheap out on. My tent, sleeping bag and backpack. The tent and sleeping bag will keep you warm and dry and that saves lives. The backpack must hold up as it will ruin trip instantly if it breaks down our is so uncomfortable it breaks you down. There are a lot of good tents for $250-400. You do not need to spend $800 but there are some nice tents in that price range.

boxhitch
02-03-2009, 06:41 AM
Everyone in the woods should know how to build a simple life-saving shelter, and have the tools to do so.
Tents are over-rated.

BCRiverBoater
02-03-2009, 07:29 AM
Everyone in the woods should know how to build a simple life-saving shelter, and have the tools to do so.
Tents are over-rated.

Do agree with this 110%. I well built shelter will save your life or someone else.

Maxx
02-03-2009, 07:47 AM
Tents are over-rated.

care to explain what style shelter you are talking about?

mr.280
02-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Also check out the (Bibler I Tent). A guy I know in Fort St.John has one and he has used it in all four seasons,stands up tough and waterproof,packed it is less than five pounds.He loves it,but said it was quite pricey.

scallywag
02-03-2009, 08:15 AM
sierra designs hands down.. the started as a tent company and have been doing it right for quiet awhile. i love mind i forget what model i got. i know i can get replacement poles and other parts when ever i need.

Rust
02-03-2009, 07:29 PM
I havent put it through a pile of testing....but first impressions I REALLY like my Hilleberg Akto tent.....very nice peice of kit.

I have heard good things about these tents. Never seen one, but surpose to be light and tough as heck. What kind of price range do they run, Rack? Any pics of it set up?

Rackmastr
02-03-2009, 08:14 PM
I have heard good things about these tents. Never seen one, but surpose to be light and tough as heck. What kind of price range do they run, Rack? Any pics of it set up?

Very light for sure.....

I dont have any pics of mine set up....I'll have to take some this spring....

Cant remember what I paid for mine, but I think they're $350-400?