PDA

View Full Version : blue sheep lake?

yukon john
02-02-2009, 08:46 AM
has anyone heard of blue sheep lake or sharptooth mntn. i believe its near turnigan and i have been hearing some stories of it

02-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Yup,
Just another one of the many to fly in for Stones, Drop off fly in, bust your back side with pack on for several days and Vavoom, you might get your Stone Ram.
CT

budismyhorse
02-02-2009, 09:01 AM
uh oh, another guy with 5 posts trolling for info ....roll eyes now.

however, blue sheep has always been a question for me. it shows up huge in the record books but no one seems to talk about it...

bighornbob
02-02-2009, 09:18 AM
uh oh, another guy with 5 posts trolling for info ....roll eyes now.

however, blue sheep has always been a question for me. it shows up huge in the record books but no one seems to talk about it...

It comes up huge in the record books becuase the GFC Dalziel has a number monster heads listed as from Blue Sheep Lake. Thats where he outfitted from for years so who knows where he actually got the heads. The family still runs an outfit (Bradford and Company) out of there.

I here the Myles Bradford is not keen on residents in his area, I have heard stories of him buzzing valleys when he has found out a resident is in there hunting sheep. So I doubt he would be to keen if you landed at the main lodge lake.

That said its a free country so you can land at the lake and its in Prime sheep country just never heard of anyone actually landing there.

BHB

budismyhorse
02-02-2009, 10:34 AM
BHB, thanks,

the mystery continues.....

I guess buzzing residents is the northern outfitters equivilent to slashing tires in the south.

not trying to hijack. Good Luck Yukon John! let us know what you find when you get back.

BCrams
02-02-2009, 10:44 AM
has anyone heard of blue sheep lake or sharptooth mntn. i believe its near turnigan and i have been hearing some stories of it

I think you owe the members the 'stories' you're hearing.

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 10:50 AM
I know a couple guys that have been in that country in the last 2 years and didn't have a good experience. Major competition. Both are guys that can put hair on the ground. I'd giver 'er a go anyway.

BCrams
02-02-2009, 10:52 AM
I know a couple guys that have been in that country in the last 2 years and didn't have a good experience. Major competition. Both are guys that can put hair on the ground. I'd giver 'er a go anyway.

Competition from the guides or other residents?

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Competition from the guides or other residents?

1 client with 3 guides/wranglers out glassing and covering a pile of ground. The rest of the story is best left for fireside chat.

BCrams
02-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Keep one step ahead of the guides each day and have video camera ready.

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Keep one step ahead of the guides each day and have video camera ready.

Apparently they didn't have that opportunity, the guides/spotters weren't with the client (I'm sure there was one with the client, nothing illegal going on).

Like I said the rest of the story is best left for fireside chat.

Kitimat Killer
02-02-2009, 12:42 PM
i had a two friends that flew into there last year and the guide was chacing the sheep around with the horses they came back skunked

kk

whitetailsheds
02-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Sharptooth? Or "Shark"tooth?

boxhitch
02-02-2009, 02:48 PM
the guide was chacing the sheep around with the horses
?Really......

boxhitch
02-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Sharptooth? Or "Shark"tooth?Sharp tooth.
The other one doesn't have .......

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Sharp tooth.
The other one doesn't have .......

hehehehehe

budismyhorse
02-02-2009, 03:36 PM
good thing he didn't ask about Sharktooth eh boys?

that would get awkward.

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 03:38 PM
good thing he didn't ask about Sharktooth eh boys?

that would get awkward.

Was does shark fishing have to do with this thread?

This is a hunting forum...........................
:confused:

as a hush falls over the crowd

BCrams
02-02-2009, 04:36 PM
.......and a scramble as the map books are opened and Google gets an overload of hunters on their server .......

PGK
02-02-2009, 04:39 PM
:lol:
Doesn't matter. In the last month, every sheep mtn north of Mackenzie has been named on this site :lol:

riflebuilder
02-02-2009, 04:41 PM
there is sheep up north?

PGK
02-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Hahahahaha when you google blue sheep lake the second link is this thread

BCrams
02-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Hahahahaha when you google blue sheep lake the second link is this thread

so you looked into it ........ lol

PGK
02-02-2009, 04:55 PM
so you looked into it ........ lol

I had to know. It's under a big cloud on google earth...screw it :lol:

BCrams
02-02-2009, 05:07 PM
practically his whole territory is under a big cloud except the horseranch range

yukon john
02-02-2009, 05:16 PM
acually i heard the stories from a fellow guide who once worked for bradfords apparently there is 3 lakes there and if the beaver dams havent been taken out a fellow can fly into a one and hike back to blue sheep lake and cover some prime country along the way

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 05:18 PM
acually i heard the stories from a fellow guide who once worked for bradfords apparently there is 3 lakes there and if the beaver dams havent been taken out a fellow can fly into a one and hike back to blue sheep lake and cover some prime country along the way

Wrangler or a guide?

I ran into a fellow who worked up there when I was in Whitehorse the last time. He wasn't shy with sharing the info.

yukon john
02-02-2009, 05:41 PM
guide his loyalties wouldnt let him tell me much

bridger
02-02-2009, 07:09 PM
1 client three guides and lots of competition to discourage resident hunters. seems i have heard that story before or maybe even experienced it.

bridger
02-02-2009, 07:13 PM
on another note one way to beat these guys is to fly in or pack in or whatever two or three days before the season opener. that is what we have done for several years. typically the dude doesn't arrive in camp until the day before the season opens. if you are already in there and up on the mountain you can locate the rams before the season opens and get ahead of the competiton. I know this takes a couple of days away from your actual hunting time, but so does going head to head with a bunch of guides that have way more resources than the average resident hunter. but don't get me started on this subject.

yukon john
02-02-2009, 08:18 PM
problem with that is the outfitter has probably flown the guides over and by opening day they know what ram they are shooting and where he is and if there is residents in the country a couple of low passes in the plane insures that the sheep are to far away for anyone on foot.If you can get in there without the outfitter knowing thats a different story

boxhitch
02-02-2009, 08:37 PM
:lol:
every sheep mtn north of Mackenzie has been named on this site :lol:Thats a short list.

358mag
02-02-2009, 08:42 PM
1 client with 3 guides/wranglers out glassing and covering a pile of ground. The rest of the story is best left for fireside chat.
"fireside chat" hey those are fun and its your turn to bring the BEER seeing how you drank all my last time and I dont ever remeber you getting any wood for the fire too !!!!

Stone Sheep Steve
02-02-2009, 08:46 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......it's clouded over on Google Earth....the GO makes life difficult for the residents..........I wonder if GG can get his work plane put floats??
Maybe drop 130 of us off at Blue sheep?? Not sure what's the capacity of a 737 on floats:smile:.
They can't cover all of us at once:razz:

SSS

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 08:50 PM
"fireside chat" hey those are fun and its your turn to bring the BEER seeing how you drank all my last time and I dont ever remeber you getting any wood for the fire too !!!!

hahahaha, that was quite the experience.

Come on up tomorrow night and bring the yote slayer with you. We're having beers at my place.

I'll buy.

Danimal
02-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Well Johnny, sounds like you're diggin around pandoras box. I keep hearing about this place and the potential there may be in that area, when you plan a trip let me know!

358mag
02-02-2009, 08:52 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......it's clouded over on Google Earth....the GO makes life difficult for the residents..........I wonder if GG can get his work plane put floats??
Maybe drop 130 of us off at Blue sheep?? Not sure what's the capacity of a 737 on floats:smile:.

SSS
737 on floats hummm take off not to bad on OK Lake but the landing on Blue Sheep Lake might be a little hairy
Lock + Load

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 08:52 PM

SSS

We could create some serious habitat on the t/o roll, that's for sure.

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 08:53 PM
737 on floats hummm take off not to bad on OK Lake but the landing on Blue Sheep Lake might be a little hairy
Lock + Load

It would make a permanent camp there. Ever seen the guy that turned a 727 hull into his home?

358mag
02-02-2009, 08:59 PM
hahahaha, that was quite the experience.

Come on up tomorrow night and bring the yote slayer with you. We're having beers at my place.

I'll buy.
would love too but the yote slayer working at his "other job" and the old guy fighting this crap flu bug that going around but thanks anyway maybe next time

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 09:16 PM
would love too but the yote slayer working at his "other job" and the old guy fighting this crap flu bug that going around but thanks anyway maybe next time

Is she hot?

that's all I want to know. She has all the other pre-reqs.

yukon john
02-02-2009, 09:49 PM
i like stone sheep steves idea can we find 130 volunteers for a free for all sheep hunt

boxhitch
02-02-2009, 10:06 PM
would love too but the yote slayer working at his "other job" and the old guy fighting this crap flu bug that going around but thanks anyway maybe next timeCatch you on the 15th then ?

boxhitch
02-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Not sure what's the capacity of a 737 on floats:smile:.
SSSHopefully as many as the A300 in the Hudson.

boxhitch
02-02-2009, 10:09 PM
problem with that is the outfitter has probably flown the guides over and by opening day they know what ram they are shooting and where he is and if there is residents in the country a couple of low passes in the plane insures that the sheep are to far away for anyone on foot.If you can get in there without the outfitter knowing thats a different storySpoken like a Bradford employee ?

Peacepipe
02-02-2009, 10:11 PM
I used to work in the area in the late 80,s when the odd person flew into Cry Lake now I hear it,s pretty busy. Back then when talking to a pilot friend his response about Blue Sheep Lake was "good luck finding a local pilot to drop you off".

358mag
02-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Catch you on the 15th then ?
yupper's will be there for the 60th count see you there

yukon john
02-02-2009, 10:15 PM
no sorry boxhitch i guide in the yukon and i know how things work up there

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 10:16 PM
I used to work in the area in the late 80,s when the odd person flew into Cry Lake now I hear it,s pretty busy. Back then when talking to a pilot friend his response about Blue Sheep Lake was "good luck finding a local pilot to drop you off".

Bruce doesn't have any problems dropping folks off anywhere really - I think heading into that outfit makes him feel warm inside and that's tough to do.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-03-2009, 06:19 AM
Bruce doesn't have any problems dropping folks off anywhere really - I think heading into that outfit makes him feel warm inside and that's tough to do.

Sounds like a scene from the "Grinch Who Stole X-mas".
Funny.....I saw him smile once and that's exactly who he reminded me of:tongue:.

SSS