PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Hunting Gear List

LeverActionJunkie
02-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Ok so this is coming from a total alpine hunting virgin point of view. When I was younger I did a bit of alpine hiking/ fishing etc. but no real hunting as of yet. All of the sheep, goat, mulie and alpine picture threads have really got me interested lately though.

I was thinking of starting out sort of locally and maybe trying a high country Mule Deer hunt this fall, maybe in the Limestones above Clinton or Lillooet country. Start close to home and get a feel for things.

What I was looking for is some help from the high country experts we have here on a gear list. Recommendations on pretty well everything from packs to tents to cook stoves, clothing, and gear. What is in your packs what works and what should a Noob stay away from? Normally I dive into something and buy a bunch of stuff I figure I will need and usually wind up with a bunch of crap I don't need or stuff that doesn't work, so this time I figured I'd ask around a little first, any direction or help is appreciated. I am currently working every waking hour that I can get because after late March I have no idea where the $$ is gonna come from, so I don't have a bunch of time to be visiting various stores and websites serching for gear. Thanks for any help you can lend.

Rob.

Brambles
02-01-2009, 10:19 PM
what time of year do you plan on trekking out? That makes a big difference on some of the gear to buy

Gateholio
02-02-2009, 12:13 AM
There has been a number of threads on this topic:biggrin:

LeverActionJunkie
02-02-2009, 12:17 AM
I was hoping to get out early to mid Sept if I can.

I will have a look around Gates.

Brambles
02-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Here's a start

Sleeping bag, these are in Long, also avaliable in Regular lenght if your vertically challanged.

Synthetic

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=31&p_id=1121770

Down

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=28&p_id=1121729

Backpack, just a couple popular ones

http://www.eberlestock.com/J107%20Dragonfly.htm

Or

http://www.badlandspacks.com/4500.php

Stove

http://www.msrgear.com/stoves/simmerlite.asp

or if you can get away with a minimalist stove, I like these, get one with a piezo starter and use either the snowpeaks gas or jetfboil fuel

http://www.snowpeak.com/back/stoves/ultralight.html

Sleeping pad, most comfortable pad on the planet, also packs up pretty small. Well worth the little extra weight

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/exped/downmat-7/

Tent

Two vestibule, two side entry

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/sierra-designs/electron/

Or

Single vestibule, single front entry

http://www.bigagnes.com/str_tents.php?bid=8

Trekking poles, pick ones you like, keep weight down.

http://www.leki.com/Trekking/products.aspx

Cookware

http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php?cat_id=40

-Take dehydrated meals, so all you have to do is boil water
-Get a lightweight rifle so you don't have to pack a 9 lb heffer up the mountain
-Synthetic or wool clothes
-Dress in Layers I take both synthetic and wool depending on the item
-Good socks that you have proven your feet like

Thats a start

Brambles
02-02-2009, 12:50 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_1424.jpg

Brambles
02-02-2009, 12:52 AM
Sleeping pad in the picture isn't the downmat 7, its a Thermarest Z-lite, great to sit on if your doing a lot of glassing a touch bulky and not the best sleep but it really saves the ass while glassing.

LeverActionJunkie
02-02-2009, 01:06 AM
Brambles thatnk you very much to take the time for such a detailed response I really appreciate it. I hope others can use your list as a starting point also. Need to start getting things in order now. :)

bighornbob
02-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Brambles thatnk you very much to take the time for such a detailed response I really appreciate it. I hope others can use your list as a starting point also. Need to start getting things in order now. :)

I see your in Kamloops (as I am), send me a PM and I can show you a lot of the gear Brambles talks about as I have some of it. Nothing like seeing the gear first hand before buying it.

BHB

Ambush
02-02-2009, 10:33 AM
There are some basic items that every mountain hunter needs. Those you research, as you are starting to do now.

Then you decide which category you fit into. There's the two extremes. The minimalist and the "kitchen sink" guy. And then there's the middle-man.

I have a list of gear, on my computer, that lists everything that I would ever take for any alpine hunt. This has been refined over the years. When it's time to prepare for a hunt, I print off a list for myself and my hunting partner[s].

I put a check mark next to any item I plan on taking. When that item is in the pack, I put an X next to it.

For shared gear, who ever is resposible for that item has their name next to it.

Decide on your gear priorities and put your money there first to buy qaulity gear.

You can't hunt well or long if you don't sleep good at night. Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad.

You won't go that extra mile if your pack is an ill-fitting monkey on your back. Lots of pack advice from experienced users in past threads on HBC

Your feet take you every where you will be going. Get good boots, but remember that the brand of boots somebody bought 5-10 years ago may be an off-shore piece of crap today.

You have to eat to to hunt. You need food and a fool proof way to cook it. Duration of hunt makes a big difference. For myself it's Mountain House meals and a Snow-Peak Giga-Power stove and Snow-Peak titanium pots
The Pocket Rocket stove is also really good. Some people are hard-core white gas stove guys. Your choice.

Rain gear. I've had it with water-proof/breathable rain gear, so if you want some used stuff, I got a deal for you. It may be blasphemy, but I now carry Helly Hanson Impertect. It's light and it IS waterproof.

Pay attention to the brand names and models that experienced hunters on here are going to mention, from socks to optics. Their pain is your gain.

Take a camera so you can post your alpine pics when you get back. Good luck.

338 winmag
02-02-2009, 11:23 AM
For tents u might want to consider a tipi style with an optional floor and stove jack.This way u can add a stove when the weather turns cooler.Kifaru or a Golite tipi , the former u will have to sew in the stove jack.For packs i would go with a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab with the optional 6500 bag.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/packs/pack.php?ID=55

http://www.kifaru.net/TIPI.HTM

http://www.golite.com/Product/proddetail.aspx?p=SH6125&s=1

LeverActionJunkie
02-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks for all the tips and help so far guys i appreciate it. One thing I was thinking of is: What do weight you guys like to keep your pack weights under on the way up the mountain? Are you able to debone your game (deer/ sheep size) and bring camp out in one trip? Or is it pretty well a guarantee of multiple trips on successful hunts?

Brambles
02-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks for all the tips and help so far guys i appreciate it. One thing I was thinking of is: What do weight you guys like to keep your pack weights under on the way up the mountain? Are you able to debone your game (deer/ sheep size) and bring camp out in one trip? Or is it pretty well a guarantee of multiple trips on successful hunts?

The answer depends on how long of a trip your packing for. Pack weight will range from 45lbs to 75 lbs depending on certain things.

One guy packing everything out in one trip will be a MEGA LOAD and a corner stone character builder, but for some guys it is doable in certain terrain. Normally two guys and one deer sized animal plus all your gear is a big load figure on over 100-150 lb packs.

LeverActionJunkie
02-02-2009, 05:28 PM
That is sort of what I had been thinking also Brambles. I'm trying to establish an idea of how much to pack for the way in weight wise, as well as sort of get an Idea on my range limitations if I am gonna be making multiple trips out and time I have to do it in etc. Don't want to bite off too much on the first go:)
Been thinking of doing some mid summer scouting in the area I select to give me a better idea of what to expect.

Brambles
02-02-2009, 05:44 PM
That is sort of what I had been thinking also Brambles. I'm trying to establish an idea of how much to pack for the way in weight wise, as well as sort of get an Idea on my range limitations if I am gonna be making multiple trips out and time I have to do it in etc. Don't want to bite off too much on the first go:)
Been thinking of doing some mid summer scouting in the area I select to give me a better idea of what to expect.

I don't know what kind of shape your in, yes Round is a shape, but not the preferred one:mrgreen: Packs get REAL heavy when you have to gain any kind of altitude. Shooting a buck or ??? in the bottom of a draw and having to pack him back up to the ridge before you can start getting him back to camp is a real bitch. It will test your morals and character, you just have to slow down, and realize its not going to get out quickly. If you have to stash it half way and come back in the AM, or start a fire and camp out with your prize overnight and resume packing in the AM then go ahead and do it IF your prepared of the conditions. IF you push yourself beyond your conditioning you WILL get yourself in trouble. No prize is worth not coming home, some are definitly worth a calculated risk though.

My recommendation is to go on some summer scouting trips, pack all the gear you would on your trip to get a taste of what your in for.

mcrae
02-02-2009, 06:04 PM
I am a big guy and I was carrying 80lbs on my trip this past season with Brambles in the Alpine and I will be honest I wasn't ready. I have always prided myself in my strength but that kind of weight on your back when you are not prepared or fit enough is a tough pill to chew. My theory was I will just get use to it and adapt like I have always done. Unfortunately my body had other ideas! I am not an inactive person either I walk to and from work and I live on the side of a mountain but it still didn't really prepare me for any kind of altitude climb with weight. I will mention this was a really "tame" trip as backpacking goes and it nearly did me in!

I for sure bit off more than I could chew and nearly got into trouble. I was not in good enough shape and we did a "tame" trip. I soldiered on cause I was having a blast and seeing nice country but this year I will be leaner and more fit for sure...

The biggest thing I learned is "BOOTS"... You need good boots or you can have trouble with some of the side hilling and stuff of that nature. I also learned you have to take a good belt. You would be surprised how annoying it can be to have your belt break on you! LOL...

Brambles
02-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Water can really throw your pack weight to hell,

BCbillies
02-02-2009, 06:39 PM
What do weight you guys like to keep your pack weights under on the way up the mountain? Are you able to debone your game (deer/ sheep size) and bring camp out in one trip? Or is it pretty well a guarantee of multiple trips on successful hunts?

Good rule of thumb (for me at least). Pack in weight of 1/3rd your body weight and heading out (full) of 2/3rd's. I'm getting close to 190lbs (unfortunately) and for an alpine hunt I want 65 lbs to feel relatively easy and if I am not mentally and physically prepared to pack out 125lbs then I am simply not ready. The biggest items that have helped me to carry decent loads extended distances are boots, poles and a good pack. Although I appreciate lightweight gear I don't get too concerned about trying to make my pack 55 to 60 lbs. I would rather focus more effort on losing the extra pounds from my waist and get into better shape to pack the load when it really counts. It's all coming out in one trip!

LeverActionJunkie
02-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Conditioning is definately high on my radar of things to take care of. I am in decent shape 6' 170lbs and I work a physical job min 10hrs a day but I am not kidding myself I remember backpacking with my dad and how much of a strain it was on me even then. The cardio and physical conditioning aspects will need some tuning up, that's what I am thinking with the summer trips to get a better idea of what i will be up against. Gonna start using the ol' ladies treadmill after work aswell.

SHACK
02-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Sheep shape!! That's an old and true....tough pill to swallow! Let me tell ya, I am not in what I would consider to be anywhere NEAR sheep shape, heck I weigh in around the 230 mark, and I like to smoke the odd coffin nail too!
However, nothing beats getting ready to the best of your abilities, you owe it to yourself, and the animals your hunting. Last year was my first sheep hunt, and I started getting ready in May, hiking up to 8 kms every other day with my loaded pack on. By the time the hike was upon us, I was able to climb, bushwhack, and suck wind all the way up the mountain. The pack weight wasn't any issue for me, as I am more or less an ox, but speed was not going to happen.
Just pace yourself, and all will be fine, however that can really change if you have a partner who is not willing to hold back for the slower of the two.
I can't wait to beat myself up again next season, heck I am chewing my nails off in my sleep thinking about it!

I have posted this pick before, but its most of the stuff I take ready to be packed

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s304/sachaszymczak/DSC_0017.jpg

dana
02-02-2009, 10:29 PM
LAJ,
I personally wouldn't get too wrapped up in the latest gear yet if I were you. Some guys like Brambles have a gear fettish, kinda like the Outdoor Variety of Tim the Toolman. Doesn't mean you have to be like them and break the bank to become a backpack hunter. I would go with the same old KISS rule. Keep it simple. I have spent a lot of my backcountry hunting using cheap inexpensive gear that I have purchased in the Buy and Sell or in Thrift Shops. That is where I would start if I were you. In this age of reccession, no sense going overboard just so you can try to look smart on the internet. :razz: Even namebrands can be found for a steal in the Buy and Sell. Look now, as guys are getting hard up on cash and those one time used items can be bought cheap. Be it backpacks, sleeping bags, tents or even spotters.

I like to have my loaded pack (excluding food) in the 40lbs or less range. Why do I exclude food. Well that's simple, you eat it and don't pack it out with ya. A large deboned muley will weigh roughly 60lbs. If you actually have the intent of killing a big ol buck, then you need to be able to pack it out don't ya. So max gear weight should be less that 40lbs so your pack is a doable 100lbs for the trip out. You want to go lighter, easy to do. Just burn your gear. You buy your clothes at the thrift store for 5 bucks, pretty easy to part with them at the end of the trip ain't it? ;)

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 10:37 PM
If you're going for the weekend you can get by with your backpack, food, water, knife, sleeping bag, thermarest, and a tarp. Don't forget gun and binos/spotter. It can really be quite simple.

Longer needs a bit more gear. The old timers used to live with a trapper nelson and a tarp. If you have $ to burn then you can or just upgrade your gear as you go.

Dirty
02-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Do you guys prefer a fixed frame pack or an internal for those serious grunts packing a load? I am in the process of getting my gear together, as during my previous trips all the gear was supplied and beggars can't be choosers.

I need a bag, pad, tent, and stove. I like the looks of the Big Agnes Emerald Mountain SL3 with the added vestibule awning for cooking and storing gear. It is not the lightest but looks comfortable. I am still undecided on everything. I used a North Face Vario 33 on a Stone Hunt and it worked vary well. For bags what temperature rating do you guys think I should use? I have heard good things about the jetboil stoves and MSR pocketrockets. I am still undecided. Whether to get an isobutane, or a white gas style stove.

Brambles
02-02-2009, 10:47 PM
LAJ,
I personally wouldn't get too wrapped up in the latest gear yet if I were you. Some guys like Brambles have a gear fettish, kinda like the Outdoor Variety of Tim the Toolman. Doesn't mean you have to be like them and break the bank to become a backpack hunter. I would go with the same old KISS rule. Keep it simple. I have spent a lot of my backcountry hunting using cheap inexpensive gear that I have purchased in the Buy and Sell or in Thrift Shops. That is where I would start if I were you. In this age of reccession, no sense going overboard just so you can try to look smart on the internet. :razz: Even namebrands can be found for a steal in the Buy and Sell. Look now, as guys are getting hard up on cash and those one time used items can be bought cheap. Be it backpacks, sleeping bags, tents or even spotters.

I like to have my loaded pack (excluding food) in the 40lbs or less range. Why do I exclude food. Well that's simple, you eat it and don't pack it out with ya. A large deboned muley will weigh roughly 60lbs. If you actually have the intent of killing a big ol buck, then you need to be able to pack it out don't ya. So max gear weight should be less that 40lbs so your pack is a doable 100lbs for the trip out. You want to go lighter, easy to do. Just burn your gear. You buy your clothes at the thrift store for 5 bucks, pretty easy to part with them at the end of the trip ain't it? ;)

Oh year, leave out the heavy stuff, sure you can get your pack weight down to 40lbs, try getting a 40lb pack weight with food and water.
Add food and water Dana and you have a 60 lb pack, no to mention that 10 pound gun you pack around. If you plan on camping ridgetop for any length of time you'll need to pack up all your water. Sure if you got water your laughing, but you know as well as I do, more often then not there isn't any water up on the muley ridges.

Also he asked for a gear list so that he wouldn't have to buy everything twice to get it all accomplished.
Most of the stuff I recommended isn't the most expensive, it gives great bang for your buck if you actually take the time to do the research. Makes it alot easier to get your pack weight down. The only premium product was the downmat 7, still not the most expensive but certainly worth the price when you sleep all night instead of your hip digging into the hard ground and having to roll over every 20 minutes.

Also I'd be curious to hear what you actually pack out on a mule deer to only be getting 60 lbs of meat. The deboned mulie I did weigh was 100lbs, Approx 90 lbs of meat and 10lbs for the cape and antlers. My pack was 115 lbs an my brothers was 118 lbs, NO water when they were weighted either. You replace some of that lightweight gear I have with your salvation army selection and your pack weight is all of a sudden too heavy. Especially for smaller stature guys:smile:

dana
02-02-2009, 10:54 PM
I'm a internal frame guy. Being small, I find I carry the weight better and I don't feel offbalance with a internal frame that hugs me. I packed for years with a Gregory internal. It wasn't built for hauling meat, but I sure carried a lot of meat in it over the years. Got about 15 years of consistant use out of it. I bought it used off a buddy of mine who used to guide for Outdoor Bound in CA. He used it on 1 10 day trip and then got sponsered by North Face, so he sold it to me for dirt cheap. A couple of years ago, the abuse finally caught up to that ol' pack and I needed a new pack. After a ton of research I chose the Eberlestock J105. I am very impressed with it and have packed out numerous animals in it thus far. It definately can stand up to a lot of abuse and a lot of weight.

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Do you guys prefer a fixed frame pack or an internal for those serious grunts packing a load? I am in the process of getting my gear together, as during my previous trips all the gear was supplied and beggars can't be choosers.

I need a bag, pad, tent, and stove. I like the looks of the Big Agnes Emerald Mountain SL3 with the added vestibule awning for cooking and storing gear. It is not the lightest but looks comfortable. I am still undecided on everything. I used a North Face Vario 33 on a Stone Hunt and it worked vary well. For bags what temperature rating do you guys think I should use? I have heard good things about the jetboil stoves and MSR pocketrockets. I am still undecided. Whether to get an isobutane, or a white gas style stove.

I've got an internal somewhere but I don't use it. Like to make just one trip on the way out and also for packing swamp donkeys. I think most of the sheep/goat guys like the internals better. Those eberlestock's are nice and I'd probably get one if I was looking for another pack.

Got an MSR tent and a couple different sleeping bags. Sierra designs, couple of north face and used to have a MEC bag that ended up on an FSR somewhere about 4 hours north of FSJ. After a hard day it's nice to be warm and dry.

I've still got a whisper light that's probably 20 years old - still works good. Used a jetboil last fall and that worked well too.

I'm not a 'weight freak'. Gear is reliable and works - keeps me dry and warm. Rather be spending my $ on hunting trips, instead of hunting gear. If you've got the money to burn spend it.

Brambles
02-02-2009, 10:58 PM

Serious heavy duty work I still recommend a good external. The internals are still more comfortable (Tatonka external is pretty comfortable).

Canister stoves are a lot smaller, and you can simmer much much better. White gas stoves are better for mass production because of a bigger cooking surface. If your on a budget and can only afford one stove I'd get the white gas stove. More versitile, works better in cold temperatures and you can get ones that burn practically any combustable fuel. I have many different stoves because I'm a gear junkie, so when I go solo or two guys and all I need to do is boil water I just take the Gigapower.

White gas stoves are also easier to rig up wind breaks because the bottle is connected by a hose, canister stoves can explode if the wind break channels the heat down to the bottle, since the stove is threaded on to the fuel supply directly.

For the tent I'd get a lightweight roomy two man. You don't want to have to pack more tent weight then you need to.

Bulk is another thing to consider, if something is light and bulky then its not that great either. You only have so much roon in you pack, you don't want to use it all up on the way into the hunt, gotta leave some room for meat. Sure you can strap stuff on the outside till your hearts content, but that space is limited too.

Dirty
02-02-2009, 11:00 PM
I've got a Eberlestock J107 and it worked well this year hauling out half a mule deer and a bobcat (30lbs! LOL). I also picked up a Tatonka frame for a song and a dance, so I couldn't complain. I thought about getting a bag for it, but I might just keep it as a spare for conning friends and family into helping me haul things out.

What are the advantages/disadvantages or pros/con of Synthetic vs Down bags?

dana
02-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Brambles,
Figured you'd light off right on schedule. You are too easy man. LOL!

Why is it that guys think you need the latest and greatest gear to get er done? I'm living proof that one can whack and stack trophy muleys without the latest gizmos that the hunting companies pimp out to hunters. It isn't the gear that gets er done, it is the hunter.

As for weight in meat, I pretty much do an entire cut without the wrap. I don't eat fat and sinew so why would I pack it out on my back? My pack is pretty much cut in steaks and roasts ready for the freezer. I haven't killed a buck worthy of mounting for years, so why pack out a cape for a rat buck? ;)

Brambles
02-02-2009, 11:07 PM
What are the advantages/disadvantages or pros/con of Synthetic vs Down bags?

Down pack smaller and are lighter for any given temperature rating (provided they are using good quality down) Worthless when wet. More expensive, down lasts a lifetime

Synthetics are a little more bulky but retain warmth when wet. Cheaper, synthetic breaks down and won't last as long.

Down bags normally have a DWR(durable water repelant) finish on the fabric that will resist some moisture,

I have the exact same bag in Synthetic and in 800 fill down, both have the same temp rating but the down seems a bit warmer.

Brambles
02-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Brambles,
Figured you'd light off right on schedule. You are too easy man. LOL!

Why is it that guys think you need the latest and greatest gear to get er done? I'm living proof that one can whack and stack trophy muleys without the latest gizmos that the hunting companies pimp out to hunters. It isn't the gear that gets er done, it is the hunter.

As for weight in meat, I pretty much do an entire cut without the wrap. I don't eat fat and sinew so why would I pack it out on my back? My pack is pretty much cut in steaks and roasts ready for the freezer. I haven't killed a buck worthy of mounting for years, so why pack out a cape for a rat buck? ;)

Glad I didn't let you down:D

I take my gear seriously, I take pride in being well outfitted. I don't want to be able to say I didn't get the task accomplished because my gear let me down, in a hobbie such as hunting there are so many things OUT of your control that IMO you must address the things you DO have control over and make them the best they can be.

With the exception of the Eberlestock pack and the odd camo piece of clothing, none of my gear is marketed to hunters. Its all recreational camping/hiking gear.

A lot of my stuff I have picked because I've taken the time to research it, it hasn't been pushed on me by any marketing promo. I have spent a lot of time looking at gear and weighing the cost/weight/bulk factors of it. Can I get lighter gear, MAYBE will it be worth the extra sticker price RARELY.

Can you accomplish the same goals with dirt cheap gear, perhaps, but it is not going to be as enjoyable, you'll be fighting your gear almost every step of the way instead of doing what you set out to do and thats hunting.

BlacktailStalker
02-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Expensive gear now, ends up being cheap if it lasts a long time.
I've always opted for quality as I enjoy using it more and I also take better care of it knowing it isnt "disposable."

This will be my 8th year hunting and I can honestly say I have everything I need/want in top notch quality to last me longer than I can predict, aside from a tent upgrade (8.5lbs is just too much) that sleeping pad Brambles posted (thermorest is flat every couple hours, had 2 of them now) and one day, maybe a lightweight rifle (7mm 08 probably)

The only things I've been burnt on is crappy clothing (browning leaks, riverswest sweats like a pig) and we'll see if this list claims Meindl boots... after this warranty "process" I'm going through is finished :roll:

My best hunting partner wears $10 velcro shoes.. to each their own.

338 winmag
02-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Theres a saying that only the wealthy can afford cheap gear.Buy quality the first time and u wont end of with a garage full of crappy tents and backpacks.

Ron.C
02-03-2009, 10:27 AM
agree 100%. Quality costs up front but saves $$$ in the long run. It has only been in the past few years that I've been able to afford quality gear, but for alot of guys spending hundreds of dollars on a backpack tent or sleeping bag just isn't possible. I think the only people that will say a cheap crappy tire tent will function the same an ultarlight quality backpack tent for a remote hunt, are not speaking from too much experience. Priority 1 is keep everything as light as possible and having 100% confidence in your Kit in any and all weather conditions.

bigwhiteys
02-03-2009, 10:30 AM
My best hunting partner wears $10 velcro shoes.. to each their own.

HaHa... My dad spent most of his guiding career wearing those cheap little rubber moccassins. He wore those for every sheep hunt. Not to mention did all his hiking in cowboy jeans... How in the #$^#$^$!!!

Carl

dana
02-03-2009, 09:37 PM
agree 100%. Quality costs up front but saves $$$ in the long run. It has only been in the past few years that I've been able to afford quality gear, but for alot of guys spending hundreds of dollars on a backpack tent or sleeping bag just isn't possible. I think the only people that will say a cheap crappy tire tent will function the same an ultarlight quality backpack tent for a remote hunt, are not speaking from too much experience. Priority 1 is keep everything as light as possible and having 100% confidence in your Kit in any and all weather conditions.

As a matter of fact I have done countless trips with $40 tents I've picked up from Surplus Herbies. I've never had any problems. Heck, I've done countless solo trips with just the fly from a $40 tent.:lol: I would never have 100% confidence in any kit, but I do have 100% confidence in myself. Heck, I can remember in college doing a winter survival course where I had to spend 2 days alone and for my shelter they gave me a small white garbage bag. 8-) There are a lot of backpackers these days that lack the knowledge of even the basics of bushcraft.

The point I am trying to make is, you've got a newbie to backpackin and backpack hunting asking what he needs to get into it, and you've got a bunch of pros basically telling him that he needs to invest in the best gear right from the start. WTF??? What if he decides backpack hunting really isn't his thing? Look in the Buy and Sell and you will see many many examples of individuals that used a piece of gear once and then decided it wasn't their cup of tea. Why hunters have this facination with gear nowadays is beyond me. It almost seems it is part of a ol' boys club of my dick is bigger than your dick. A newbie asks a question about what piece of gear to buy and instantly you've got a bunch of guys saying anything but the top $ item is a piece of junk. No wonder why it's hard to recruite hunters nowadays. It's too damn expensive to hunt if you follow most advice on these forums.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-03-2009, 09:48 PM
[quote=dana;404941]

The point I am trying to make is, you've got a newbie to backpackin and backpack hunting asking what he needs to get into it, and you've got a bunch of pros basically telling him that he needs to invest in the best gear right from the start. WTF??? What if he decides backpack hunting really isn't his thing? Look in the Buy and Sell and you will see many many examples of individuals that used a piece of gear once and then decided it wasn't their cup of tea. quote]

And what's wrong if this newbie backpacker decides it's not for him?? More in the Buy and Sell for the rest of us!:-P

Some of the good stuff is not that much more expensive(yes some of it is). Some of it is actually cheaper and more durable. Buy it once and it's cheaper in the long run.....as has been mentioned.

EG...for a ground pad I like to use a Ridge Rest which also doubles as something to sit on while glassing. Bullet proof (will never leak), light and cheap.

SSS

Ambush
02-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Do you guys prefer a fixed frame pack or an internal for those serious grunts packing a load?

I have heard good things about the jetboil stoves and MSR pocketrockets. I am still undecided. Whether to get an isobutane, or a white gas style stove.

I'm older and a little slow to convert. But during the last two seasons I switched to a iso-butane stove and an internal frame pack.
I bought a SnowPeak Gigapower stove with an auto igniter and SnowPeak titanium pots. Both are very good. But side by side testing, the Pocket Rocket is faster. For back packing I'm done with white gas.

I bought a Badlands 4500 pack for last year's sheep hunt. I like it, and it can haul more than I can. Lots of room. I'm very fortunate that my hunting partners are half my age and always willing to carry more than their share.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

On a goat hunt, several years ago, I found out that my inflatable Thermarest had a hole and I had no patch kit. Miserable few nights! I now carry a patch kit. But this winter I picked up a full length and a 3/4 length Z-Lite sleeping pads.

My pack, heading up the mountain, with bow strapped on was 67 pounds. That's without water.

Our motto is "Buy Nice or Buy Twice"

I get pleasure out of using good gear. Some people enjoy seing how much they can do with as little as possible.
It's a choice, just depends on your outlook.

dana
02-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Glass is one item that always comes up on these forums. You ain't much of a hunter unless you fork over 2000-4000 on top quality glass. They say spend the money now or else you will be wasting your money. I personally laugh at this because the average joe that uses binos or a spotter can't tell the difference between good glass and great glass. Heck, most can't even tell poor glass. The average joe just won't use the binos or the spotter enough on a regular basis to see a difference. All they know is they were told on HBC that real hunters buy top $ glass. There aren't too many people out there that spend the time behind the glass that I spend. I spend hours upon hours year round looking through my binos and my spotter. I can indeed tell the difference between good glass and great glass. I'm one that would actually benifit by using great glass, but guess what? I can't justify the price. I have gone with the best I could afford at the time. Up until about 8 years ago, I was using my dad's old Bushnell spotter that is about 30 years old. Over the years, I have spotted countless animals with it. Many a monster muley was observed through that old spotter. It did the job. Sure, after hours, I had a headace, but it still did the job. 8 years ago I upgraded to a Leupold 25x50 Compact spotter. I bought it for about $250 cash brandnew at the Kamloops Gunshow. At the time, it retailed for about $850 plus taxes. I've used that spotter to locate some of the biggest and badest bucks that I've ever seen. It wasn't the best spotter on the market, but it was the best I could afford at the time. This past year, I purchased a Leupold 12-40x60 brandnew from the Kamloops Gunshow. I bought it for $800 cash. The spotter retailed about $1250 plus taxes. It is the best I could afford at the time and it will probably be my last spotter. Even though there are slight advantages to the higher $ spotters, those advantages aren't worth the price to me.
You don't need the best piece of gear to get the job done.

frenchbar
02-03-2009, 10:19 PM
LAJ.it depends on how long your going as well ,on what gear to take imo.if its just for 2to3 nights i dont take much backpack, tent ,light bag some game bags couple suppers.i never use a stove i just cook on a fireand if itsto a spot i like to go back to now and again i just leave my cookinggear and plates and cup and such tarped up and ditched up a tree.I like to travel lite.

BCrams
02-03-2009, 10:23 PM
As they say ....

......one can own the best glass and spotters on the market.......but it isn't going to do you any good if you don't have the skills to glass ......

dana
02-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Frenchbar,
You brought up a very good backcountry techique for going lite, cache your gear. I personally have several $40 tents cached in some of my hidey holes. How many are willing to cache that $700 tent to save weight? :smile:

frenchbar
02-03-2009, 10:27 PM
As they say ....

......one can own the best glass and spotters on the market.......but it isn't going to do you a any good if you don't have the skills to glass and know what to look for ......
Isnt that the truth!

frenchbar
02-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Frenchbar,
You brought up a very good backcountry techique for going lite, cache your gear. I personally have several $40 tents cached in some of my hidey holes. How many are willing to cache that $700 tent to save weight? :smile:
Ive got a few caches around the high country ,even found a few that werent mine,beats packing an extra 15 pds each time .

dana
02-03-2009, 10:30 PM
BCrams,
Exactly!!!!

I had many a client when I guided that had top-notch glass. They had no idea how to use it. Heck they would glance at me glassing, put the binos to their face and then glance at me glassing again like they were just going through the motions. Got to the point that I'd take the Swaro's from them and just use them myself.:tongue: Made them feel good when I'd spot their animal with their binos. :)

LeverActionJunkie
02-03-2009, 10:32 PM
You guys all have very good tips and info, I really do appreciate it. I must say that Dana's point of view does appeal to the Mennonite in me :) I like to get by with what works, but also know how sometimes the right peice of equipment can make or break an experience. Thats part of the thinking behind this thread. In the end I will probably wind up with a mix of better quality things and some I feel I can get by with. Hell once we are done building the new mill at Adams Lake there might be zero spare cash leftover and I might have to go 1920's adventurer style:)

To start with I am thinking of a 2 or 3 night trip, almost certainly for High country mulies. I will learn the ropes with backpacking first and then tackle new species if I survive the introduction test:)

Keep the info flowing. Hopefully others get something out of it I know I am.

Brambles
02-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Dana, I'm not sure how much time you spend researching gear, but my gear list isn't full of premium priced stuff.

Its stuff I've searched out and the "bang for your buck" is pretty damn good.

Sure its not a walmart sleeping bag, a coleman tent and a propane stove but a guy can spend a LOT more money and not get gear that shows any appreciable advantage. Shopping around on the internet saves you A LOT of money.

Sierra design tent $200
Montbel synthetic bag $150
Montbel 800 fill down bag $230
Downmat7 OK I can't remember what I paid but it was pricey but you can get sleeping pads for $30 and up
Stove $50-$80 depending on model
Leki Titanium Makalau poles, $70 on ebay
Pack, well the Eberlestock pack isn't cheap but its good for other types of hunting too.

Sure you can swap out Leki poles for cheaper ones and the Downmat 7 is pretty pricey for a sleeping pad, but I've tried 4 different sleeping pads, lay down boughs etc. The downmat so far is the most comforable I"ve tried, more time will tell the truth but so far I"m very impressed.

Plus LAJ wanted to know what was in our packs and to help cut out some of the legwork. This is whats in MY pack, I dont put Junk in my pack, so I certainly won't recommend it.
You suggest,"why spend money on good gear because you might not like the style of hunting". Well I guarantee you if you go into the bush with crappy, bulky gear then your right, he probably won't like it much.

Sure you can to backpack hunting on the cheap, I recommend everyone try it for a while. I guarantee you more of those people will be upgrading their gear to better stuff than the ones that actually stick with the original bulky gear they bought.

Another thing is not ALL of us can fit inside a small white garbage bag like you, so that is out of the question.:smile:

Brambles
02-03-2009, 10:56 PM
You guys all have very good tips and info, I really do appreciate it. I must say that Dana's point of view does appeal to the Mennonite in me :) I like to get by with what works, but also know how sometimes the right peice of equipment can make or break an experience. Thats part of the thinking behind this thread. In the end I will probably wind up with a mix of better quality things and some I feel I can get by with. Hell once we are done building the new mill at Adams Lake there might be zero spare cash leftover and I might have to go 1920's adventurer style:)

To start with I am thinking of a 2 or 3 night trip, almost certainly for High country mulies. I will learn the ropes with backpacking first and then tackle new species if I survive the introduction test:)

Keep the info flowing. Hopefully others get something out of it I know I am.

My opinion is if you want to try and do it a little more economically then thats great, we all have our own budgets, but the best gains as far as weight reduction and limiting bulk are found in a couple basic items

Sleeping bag
Sleeping pad
Tent
Stove and pots

Get these few things under control and it will go a long way to limiting weight and freeing up space.

LeverActionJunkie
02-03-2009, 11:04 PM
My opinion is if you want to try and do it a little more economically then thats great, we all have our own budgets, but the best gains as far as weight reduction and limiting bulk are found in a couple basic items

Sleeping bag
Sleeping pad
Tent
Stove and pots

Get these few things under control and it will go a long way to limiting weight and freeing up space.

Those four items are among my top concerns also, along with a good pack which I do not have. And you are right I was looking to find out what is in your packs as I wanted to see what others are using and what is proven to work.

GoatGuy
02-03-2009, 11:19 PM
I packed a weatherby spotting scope (yes they used to build spotters way back) around for 8 years until it was completely fogged 100% of the time. It worked and worked well. Spotted many a goats, bears, bou, deer. Biggest thing is to get you @ss in the bush and go hunting.

Last guy you want to be is the guy who can't afford to go hunting because he spent all his money on gear.

dana
02-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Brambles,
I poked at you because I know you are a gear nut. When you PM'd me about my Eberlestock a few years ago, how many backpacks did you say you owned?:tongue: It is not you that I am targeting my comments towards, but rather a mentality that I have seen on this site for quite a while now. In an age of hunter recruitment and retention coupled with a global reccession, I'm just trying to show others that you don't need to break the bank to be a successful hunter. During our last reccession, the gov't raised licence fees that year and it killed off a very large number of hunters. Today, people are starting to be tight with their money and this year might just be another make or break year for hunters in this province. I'm just showing people that their are ways to go out and enjoy the backcountry of our Super Natural province in a cheaper manner than many lead them to believe.

Brambles
02-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Brambles,
I poked at you because I know you are a gear nut. When you PM'd me about my Eberlestock a few years ago, how many backpacks did you say you owned?:tongue:

Hey I traded one of my spare Camptrails for a Trapper Nelson:biggrin:. Next goat I kill I"m going to pack it out on it, then get the goat mounted on it as a cape and horns. Gonna be sweeeeet.:smile:

I admit I like gear, but it can be expensive if you don't get it right the first time. I have multiples of everything. I should actually put a pack together will a bunch of my surplus gear and auction it off or raffle it to a needy hunter.:smile: Maybe one day when I'm bored.

GoatGuy
02-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Hey I traded one of my spare Camptrails for a Trapper Nelson:biggrin:. Next goat I kill I"m going to pack it out on it, then get the goat mounted on it as a cape and horns. Gonna be sweeeeet.:smile:

Now that is a cool mount.

338 winmag
02-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Certainly a guy could completely outfit himself in wool clothing for under 100 bucks at Value Village , nothing wrong with that.Then there is the other end of the spectrum where guys like to be on the cutting edge of new gear and will work two jobs so they can afford it , nothing wrong with that either.I'm sure there was an outcry when the first village hunters started shedding their buckskin leggings for wool pants also , never mind carrying bows instead of spears.

Gateholio
02-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Certainly a guy could completely outfit himself in wool clothing for under 100 bucks at Value Village , nothing wrong with that.Then there is the other end of the spectrum where guys like to be on the cutting edge of new gear and will work two jobs so they can afford it , nothing wrong with that either.I'm sure there was an outcry when the first village hunters started shedding their buckskin leggings for wool pants also never mind carrying bows instead of spears.

If there was an outcry, it was probably by people who couldn't afford a new bow or wool pants!:-P

Nothing wrong with either approach, and it's true we can get ourselves wrapped up in the gear race, but I find having good gear makes my trip more enjoyable. Not to say that all of it is brand spanking new, but it's good quality.

Everyone has priorities. I've got nice rifles and some good gear, but my truck is from 1996, and I don't plan on replacing it until it hits 600 000 km:-P

338 winmag
02-04-2009, 12:11 PM
If there was an outcry, it was probably by people who couldn't afford a new bow or wool pants!:-P

my thoughts exactly :p

Ron.C
02-04-2009, 12:13 PM
exactly Gatehouse,

not everyone can afford top quality gear and those that can't have to make do with the best they can afford, nothing wrong with doing that. Sure there are exceptions or some folks that just prefer to go with lower end gear because it works for them but there is a reason why some gear costs alot of money, it is better in some respect be it lighter, more waterproof, more reliable.....

srupp
02-05-2009, 04:18 AM
hmmm I have done it both ways..took inexpensive items up and then burned em..tent , bag, clothes...I have ' stashed " gear in areas I would go back to, and I have been "spoiled " beyond belief by Susan who has always maintained I get the best out there and have ended up with some great top of the line gear..my MEINDLES boots are 15 years old and are still waterproof and will last one more season..pretty cheap in the end..
every year I upgrade or replace one item in my hunting gear or fishing gear..I have never been let down by quality..it has usually performed flawlessly and provided comfort ,reliability and allowed me to concentrate on the task at hand ..enjoying myself...late at nite 40 kilometers back, high on a mountain is NOT the time to have your $40 tent come unglued on the first nite ..and BIBLICAL torrents of rain soak you and your gear...
If ya cant sleep ya cant hunt... warm , dry, it just has to be there..quality..and that is not found in $40 tents...I know..lol:oops:
As for optics I am no Steve Dana... and do not claim to be in the same league and probably never will...yet I seem to be able to spot animals as good as most..but I never claim to be the best..even I can see the difference between $200 optics and $800 optics and top of the line optics..and I choose to get the top of the line to get me any small advantage..
One of my many "disadvantages " is I have been called in over the years either through Search and Rescue or as a paramedic when things went wrong...and it has provided me with a long list of what the resultsw "can " be when you dont go prepared..no matter what the cost..you need to be warm, safe, dry, fed, these items are mandatory as I see it..the optics etc just make the chances somewhat better..makes ya wonder what Carls Dad would think of and do with our modern technological gear...

steven

dana
02-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Steven,
One of my most memorable highcountry hunts my brother and I did with a $40 dome tent and $20 boots. :) We went with 1 rifle and 1 spotter between the 2 of us. We went in light and came out heavy. Too think my brother did that entire trip with a broken back too. :eek:

I seems many of you have an impression that the highcountry is do or die. Do you really know how much easily accessable highcountry there is in this province. Heck, I do a ton of highcountry hunting as day trips. Go in in the dark, come out in the dark. I have done many a solo coyote camp as well. If a piece of gear fails, why is it lifethreatening? A cheap tent rips in a storm, move down to the subalpine and build yourself a shelter and a fire. It's that simple. The only failed equipment that would end a hunt is if your rifle broke. Backpacks can be lashed up, tents can be duct taped. She's all good. How do you think the ol' timers did it? Is this forum full of wimps? Where are the real men? ;)

Stone Sheep Steve
02-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Where are the real men? ;)

They don't know how to type:?

SSS

dana
02-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Does the man on the left look like he's prepared for the highcountry?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/img002.jpg
This is Angus Horne. He came from an era when men were made tuff. He explored some of the roughest country imaginable. He was a man of the highcountry. Didn't need much but a heart and a desire to see what was over the next mountain.

Brambles
02-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Does the man on the left look like he's prepared for the highcountry?

This is Angus Horne. He came from an era when men were made tuff. He explored some of the roughest country imaginable. He was a man of the highcountry. Didn't need much but a heart and a desire to see what was over the next mountain.

I don't look like I'm prepared for the mountains on my day off either...

Tatterd Pants and a hangun, no doubt an original gang banger

dana
02-06-2009, 10:44 PM
So onto my personal Alpine Hunting Gear List.

Eberlestock J105 Backpack
Kifaru 6 man Tipi Tent and Medium WoodStove
MSR Dragonfly cookstove with 975ml bottle
MSR Seagull cookpot
Light My Fire Mealkit
Light My Fire Swedish Firesteel
Asolo Milano Sleeping Bag
Thermarest Trail Lite Sleeping Pad
Small Geber Axe
Geber Bone Saw
Baush&Lomb Discoverer Binoculars
Leupold 12-40 x 60 Spotting Scope

Keep in mind, I have developed this for my style of hunting and given the fact we backpack as a family. This is not a list for everyone as it wouldn't be practical for a lot of backpackers who are going solo or duo. As I stated before, backpack hunting doesn't have to be expensive or elaborate. I've gone with far less in the past and one can be successful backpacking on a budget with a little bit of creativity.
Currently on my list the Kifaru Tipi is the most expensive piece of equipment. One I have desired for years, but never had the money to buy given other priorities in raising a young family. Last year I had the best income tax return I've ever had and we decided it was now or never. It weighs in at 11 lbs with the stove. For a solo backpacker that might be a little heavy but it fits my family of 4 perfect. Weight can be shared easily. It will allow us to get further back in more extreme weather and there won't be worries about being wet or cold. One can cook on the woodstove if one wants to trim weight and not pack the cookstove and fuel.
The MSR Dragonfly is a big stove for most. But when one is cooking for 4 it is the ideal size. Again, the extra weight can be divided and shared.
Most backpackers don't carry an axe, as they add weight fast, but when you have 1 tent between 4 and a woodstove, the weight of the axe is divided and shared.

BlacktailStalker
02-06-2009, 11:45 PM
I bought the dragonfly about 5 years ago... Even now there isnt that much weight difference between the smaller ones.. Great stoves, they boil in light speed and sound like an F-14 taking off, keeps the bears away :lol:
Pretty impressed with how little fuel they consume.