PDA

View Full Version : No critter, but a great night nevertheless!

brotherjack
10-23-2005, 11:03 PM
So, today my wife and I are in the bush stalking down through this nice draw/drainage that looked promising on the topo map. We're new to this topo-map thing, so we have no idea what to expect. Quiet as we can be, wind at our face; we were exploring more than we were hunting, but we were hunting for sure. After the 30'th rubbed tree and who knows how many piles of elk and deer poot, we've decided we got a nice area on our hands here. Maybe there is something to this topo-map hunting trick.

I'm in the lead, doing that painful step-wait-step gait. As I take the last step over a rise, I look over, and no more than 30 yards away stands a cow elk - head down, munching grass so loud it didn't hear me. Nothing to do but wave the wife to stillness with a hand behind my back and freeze. This was probably the biggest cow elk I've ever seen - easily as big as my smallish 6x6 bull I got this year (not that any bull big enough to be sporting a 6x6 is really "small", but some are definitely larger than others).

After maybe 3 minutes, the cow elk starts browsing it's way towards me. "Where the heck were you back during either-sex bow season?" I think, "you're fat as a pig and got no calf to make me feel bad about". I was just about to get nervous for being stepped on, when the cow stops about 6 feet from me (!!!), and takes a pee. Had she taken one more step towards me, and it would have splashed on my boots. The elk is still blissfully unaware of my presence. I am doing my best to telepath to the elk "I am a stump, just a stump - nevermind the glasses and nose, I am just a stump".

Her business finished, she takes one more step and then locks eyes with my wife behind me. Then she backs off - she doesn't spook hard, just does a couple hop steps back to about 15 yards away from us and then stops and chirps. From the ridge up behind us we hear crashing in the bush, a bugle, and a couple more chirps. Our cow heads up for her friends. We did our best to get a view of the headgear on the bull, but all we ever saw was a big meaty rump disappearing slowly into the bush. We didn't push them - elk season is closed anyway, but it's cool just to see them.

A few minutes later, another bull bugles from the other ridgeline. We sat tight and hoped something would come down and let us have a look at it (we didn't have any elk calls with us, since the season closed or we'da tried to call them). Some crashing in the bush got within 150 yards of us, and we heard him thrash some helpless tree with his antlers, but never got a peek at him.

Anyway, sun was getting low, and we'd had our fun (freezer is pretty full - we're hunting for fun mostly now), so we headed back to the truck before we had to make that long dark walk through unfamiliar woods. Saw some still-steaming sign on the way back. You can bet we'll be back here come elk season next year! We were again, just stunned by the number (and size) of the rubs everywhere in there - you couldn't get out of sight of one before seeing the next one (and they were easy to spot - often trees as big around as my leg!!!).

So, on the drive out, in the last 15 minutes of shooting light, the wife spies a decent 4point whitetail. I'da let him live as full as our freezer is, but she hasn't got anything at all this year, and she want's him (and he really is a decent buck - I'm just monster-deer hunting now that the elk's in the freezer). Unfortunately, she had a little fight with her magazine trying to stuff it in the gun (looking at the deer, and not what she was doing), and couldn't get locked and loaded fast enough. She stalked him for 10 minutes, but decided not to push him and came back. Saw him a couple times, but he was with some does, and the bush was too thick to pick out which body belonged to the antlers in the fading light. Oh well, we know where he lives - he'll be there for a few days at least, whitetail don't roam much.

Anyway, was just an awesome evening in the bush - even though we didn't bring home a critter, and I thought ya'll might enjoy the tale.

:biggrin:

Ronforca
10-24-2005, 06:16 AM
Good story Brotherjack.Thanks for sharing it with us.I am in the same boat as you.Have plenty of meat but have a wife who has not cut her tag yet.

Thunderstix
10-24-2005, 06:53 AM
Sounds like a good night! It is great that you hunt with your wife.

Fred
10-24-2005, 08:33 AM
I saw one Cow Elk last year thanks to Ex's excellent eyes and nothing at all this year except for the one that Mauser98's friend got. It would be too cool to be that close! And who said you can't carry a call with you out of season. You aren't going to hurt one,just take it's picture,right!!! :mrgreen: Fred

Ronforca
10-24-2005, 08:43 AM
My wife was standing within 60 ft.of 5 Elk this year and talking to her brother and I on the radio telling us all about it.Four of them just stood and looked at her,the fifth and much larger one would not show his head.They all just walked away while she was still babbling away on the radio to us.None of us had an Elk tag anyway but it was quite a thrill for her.By the way she does not hunt with me.She says that I travel too fast,which is probably true.She shoots and guts her own Deer.All 5' nothing of her.;)

Steeleco
10-24-2005, 08:58 AM
Sounds like a good night! It is great that you hunt with your wife.

Here Here!!! I wish my wife would show some interest, I'd get a lot more time afield for sure. Good for you guys, good luck with the boss's whitey!!!

Bow Walker
10-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Just finished reading your story BJ, it is very well written and puts us right there with the two of you. Keep up the "publishing" as we will all be looking forward to more of the same.

Dan.

brotherjack
10-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the appreciation ya'll; it's nice to have good people like you to share my adventures with.

Speaking of which, here's this evening's followup:

After my wife got home from work, she had the itch, so we headed back up to near where we saw that buck last night. Only time for about an hour's hunting, but hey, it beats watching TV!

Weather was kind of odd for around here; there was fog so thick we could only see about 40 or 50 yards. We hike up to a nice spot overlooking a small draw, and my Wife almost sits down right there - but at the last second thinks a spot a little further down the hill will give her a wider field of view and more potential shots, and so she leaves me there. Ooops, for her!

Haven't been there 15 minutes, when I hear something moving super-quietly in the fog towards me. Thought a couple times it was a squirrel, but the more I listented, the more I was convinced it was something bigger. Then, out of the fog, steps the buck - off the trail, and right behind me about 40 yards. I could just barely crank my eyes around far enough to see him without moving my head. He's staring right at me. How the heck does he know? He's upwind, and I haven't done nothing but blink this whole time. Because of the fog, and the 40 yards, I couldn't get a good look at how big he was, I could just tell he was a buck, but probably not a monster. He was too far behind me to get a shot without major movement, so I sit tight.

A minute or so later, he gets tired of staring me down, and moves off behind some brush. I take that as my opportunity to turn around for a better angle and put the gun facing the right way for a quick shot if need be. I'm 99% sure I don't want him for myself, but I couldn't see him well enough to say for sure. If he keeps on track, he'll step out into a shooting lane about 18 yards from me, and I'll get a better look.

I think he saw me move as I turned, because I got a flash of raised tail and heard him hop back 2 or 3 steps in the bush. I freeze, and wait him out. After a few minutes, he cooperates and steps into a clear shooting lane for me, about 25 yards away broadside. I put the crosshairs on his vitals, and look him over in the scope. Still a little fuzzy in the fog, but I decide he's too small for me to cancel my last whitetail tag of the year on - just borderline though; I've shot smaller than him without a split second hesitation when my freezer isn't quite so full. I'm pretty sure he's our same buck from the night before. He only gave me all of 3 seconds to think about shooting him, and then he steped on out of sight for the last time. Had he gave me another few seconds, I might have changed my mind.

The good news is, the direction he headed will take him right in front of my wife, who I don't think will be so picky as me.

And then I spent the rest of the hour waiting for a shot that never came. Wily whtetail must have decided something was up and changed direction after he got out of sight of me. Wife said she heard something move, but much too far into the bush to see him, much less figure out what it was and take a shot.

Ain't that whitetail deer for you, eh?

Anyway, for a 60 minute hunt, I thought it was pretty eventful. It ain't every day I get to pass up a shot at a decent sized whitetail. We're definitely going back there for some more hunting real soon now (like tomorrow!)

bsa30-06
10-24-2005, 08:35 PM
great stories brotherjack hope your wife finds that deer she's waited so patiently for. good luck.

Bow Walker
10-25-2005, 08:13 PM
BJ..........re: your update........

:grin: Beats the heck out of watching TV just reading about your adventures. :grin:

You are so lucky that your wife hunts with you. I get a lot of support from mine, but a bush baby she is not. :-(
Keep on keeping on!