PDA

View Full Version : Ear Medicine

Jimbo
01-30-2009, 07:08 PM
I am in serious need of your tips and tricks for giving ear medicine to my dog. When he was 1&1/2 it was easier to hold him tight and squirt it in with an eyedropper. Now he is almost 3 and 85 lbs of muscle and he doesn't want that crap in his ears. :mad:
I carry the med bottle around in my jeans pocket for an hour or so to warm it up. Then comes the tough part. Get him in the corner and pin him against the wall with my leg. Use one arm to hold his head close to me and flip his ear out of the way. Try to hold him steady as possible while putting the bottle nozzle in the ear canal.
I feel more like a bulldoger at a rodeo than a vet.

Sasquatch
01-30-2009, 07:20 PM
It's all about the treats.
Try giving him his favorite treat while you administer. Don't be shy with them.

This may take 2 people to start and he may still struggle til he gets the idea that medicine means good stuff. Eventually, all he should think about is the treats.

This has always worked for me with meds, including shots.

Good luck.

Jimbo
01-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Well, I'm almost at the point of needing a second person anyways. Do you suggest one to give out the treats while the second one sneaks in with the meds ?

Hey ... the sponsored link in this thread is about ear infection remedies. Thats very cool.

Steeleco
01-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Our Rottie has ear problems. At least once a month I'll have to sit astride her and play with her a few minutes before the Q tips and the meds come out. She's get used to this and only tries to get out from under for a few minutes. I think the trick is to associate the process with something fun/food and not some kind of torture!!!

BTW she's 100 lbs and could get up if she really wanted too!!!!

Sasquatch
01-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Well, I'm almost at the point of needing a second person anyways. Do you suggest one to give out the treats while the second one sneaks in with the meds ?

That's exactly what I mean.
Don't try to restrain the dog, just have one person keep giving it small amounts of a treat. As soon as the dog struggles or tries to get away from the meds, the treats stop.
I would suggest, to start, having you on one side of the dog, a wall on the other side of the dog and the person with the treats in front. The only way the dog can go is backward and then the treats stop.

Eventually, they should take the meds without a struggle from one person.

dakotawinters
02-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Why dont you do hour to an hour and a half of exercise with her first. Then once your dog is good and tired try putting the drops in. Make sure they are calm and submissive before you get into a wrestling match that the dog will surely win. If you cant take the dog out put em on the treadmill... to get them tired. After a few times of doing it this way the dog shouldnt care what you are doing to its ears.

huntergirl270
02-01-2009, 07:23 PM
I don't know how you usually show affection to your dog but if you spend a lot of time rubbing their ears and touching around their heads opening their mouth, touching in their ears etc... they seem to be easier to administer meds to (oral and ear meds) Treats are a great idea and so is just sitting with your dog and scratching or rubbing their ears while not trying to give them any drops start on the outside of the ear and give him a break and then try to go closer to the inside of the ear each time you "play" with your dog working up to giving a drop and just continuing to rub his ears as if you are still just giving him attention. Eventually you should be able to touch the inside of his ear gently with your finger and it should be no big deal and pretty soon giving the drops just becomes part of the lovin' :) If this is something you just do all the time its not such a huge issue when it comes time to give meds to your dog and its a more pleasant experience for both of you.
Good luck :)

Steeleco
02-01-2009, 09:15 PM
That's good advice HG270, we played with our dog's ears feet and mouth when she was little. Trimming the nails is not such a chore as I've seen some dogs.

The Dawg
02-01-2009, 09:49 PM
I don't know how you usually show affection to your dog but if you spend a lot of time rubbing their ears and touching around their heads opening their mouth, touching in their ears etc... they seem to be easier to administer meds to (oral and ear meds) Treats are a great idea and so is just sitting with your dog and scratching or rubbing their ears while not trying to give them any drops start on the outside of the ear and give him a break and then try to go closer to the inside of the ear each time you "play" with your dog working up to giving a drop and just continuing to rub his ears as if you are still just giving him attention. Eventually you should be able to touch the inside of his ear gently with your finger and it should be no big deal and pretty soon giving the drops just becomes part of the lovin' :) If this is something you just do all the time its not such a huge issue when it comes time to give meds to your dog and its a more pleasant experience for both of you.
Good luck :)

You hit the nail on the head Sherry...what we used to do for the in-service dogs was give them a command whenever we were giving any sort of medicine. "Ears" "Eyes" "Paw"...whatever you are doing, make it a pleasurable experience and dont force them. Use treats to bait if need be and start slowly and build up, just like you would with any command.

Jimbo
02-01-2009, 10:03 PM
I appreciate all the responses.

For my past dogs, I just grabbed them and squirted the med. in the ear canal. Was quick and easy.

This dog is nothing like the others, except for his appetite. I broke up several milk bones to help distract him and two of us teamed up to get the med. in. WAY BETTER !! Goes to show you have to listen to others advice and be willing to adjust your style.

Now that I'm coming to the end of this old prescription, does anyone here have a favourite home remedy for ear infection ?

huntergirl270
02-01-2009, 10:43 PM
You hit the nail on the head Sherry...what we used to do for the in-service dogs was give them a command whenever we were giving any sort of medicine. "Ears" "Eyes" "Paw"...whatever you are doing, make it a pleasurable experience and dont force them. Use treats to bait if need be and start slowly and build up, just like you would with any command.

Why thank you Steve :) Does this mean that I don't belong barefoot and pregnant and in the kitchen ALL the time ??? (blink blink) :p:p:p

Sasquatch
02-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Now that I'm coming to the end of this old prescription, does anyone here have a favourite home remedy for ear infection ?

I haven't found a home made remedy yet that works.

If it keeps coming back, I would change his food to a different protein source. Repeated ear infections often come from food allergies.

Glad the ear meds went in without a wrestling match.

Tikka7mm
02-03-2009, 02:49 PM
I haven't found a home made remedy yet that works.

If it keeps coming back, I would change his food to a different protein source. Repeated ear infections often come from food allergies.

Glad the ear meds went in without a wrestling match.

X2 and make sure that you put a drying agent in your dogs ear after he goes swimming or after he is out in the rain if he is prone to infections. Moisture can often lead to ear infections as well.

My boxer was having problems with minor yeast infections in her ear, sounds gross but it just looks red and smells kind of odd. After a short dose of Panalog (medicated cream from the vet) I started using a cleaning solution with a drying agent after she was in the water and she no longer gets ear infections anymore. Ear infections are really uncomfortable for dogs so try and remedy them as soon as possible. You can get the ear cleaning solution/drying agent at your local pet food store for around 7-15 bucks. Some are just a powder some are liquid. I like the liquid ones the best because they clean at the same time. All you do is squirt in the ear and rub it around, do a little exterior swabbing with a q-tip or a cotton ball and it eventually evaporates. I just give my dog a treat after were done and there is no problem...she actually enjoys having her ears cleaned. If your dogs ears are dirty this can contribute to irritation/infection as well so it's best to keep them clean as best you can.

If your dog still has an issue with ear infections after continued treatment chances are that his immune system is reacting to something in his food and you should try something different. Food with a whitefish or salmon base is good and stay away from corn and beet pulp - these two fillers are responsible for a good portion of allergic reaction in dogs according to my veterinarian.

I'm not claiming to be an expert but I did have my fair share of issues with my boxer in her first year. Trying to get her on a diet that worked for her and keeping her healthy consisted of a lot of trial and error - so I'm just speaking from my own experience.

Good luck.

Jimbo
02-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks T7m, the diet is something I'll keep in mind if this gets to be chronic.
My first lab had ongoing ear infections and I spent lots of $$ at the vet until one day he asked me " Where does this dog do most of her swimming ?" The simple answer was in the North and South arms of the Fraser within sight of the sewage treatment plants. DOH !

Vet bills are a lot more manageable since then.