PDA

View Full Version : california bighorns

yukon john
01-30-2009, 02:09 PM
ive guided the last 4 seasons in the yukon as a result i havent been able to hunt sheep here in b.c i would like to backpack in north of lytton has anybody hunted there? any luck? also anybody hunted the limestones recently? how did it go? how did you get in? any info is welcome thanks

bighornbob
01-30-2009, 03:03 PM
ive guided the last 4 seasons in the yukon as a result i havent been able to hunt sheep here in b.c i would like to backpack in north of lytton has anybody hunted there? any luck? also anybody hunted the limestones recently? how did it go? how did you get in? any info is welcome thanks

Post some pictures of the rams you guided up north and then I will tell you where to go for cali's.

This picture was taken on the Fraser River this September.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_029.jpg

BHB

slyfox
01-30-2009, 03:11 PM
The sheep in lytton are calif or rocky.

01-30-2009, 03:34 PM
In 3 - 17 there north of Lytton, the Cali's are more on the Fraser side, the Rockies are more on the Thompson side, although, this should get things brewwing ....... Word has it they are thought to be inter-breeding. This from a biologist.
You can draw 3/4 curl in some of the areas, also think of looking, north of Lilloett ,west of Clinton, Willies Puddle etc.
Good luck on the draw, as the Full Curls are usually a well earned Ram.
CT

Bighorn hunter
01-30-2009, 03:35 PM
the line that the bc book has drawn to separate calis from rockys is up closer to lilloet. I was up by the towers west of botanie lake this year and saw some sheep. Rugged country but very nice.

humble hunter
01-30-2009, 09:07 PM
They are really having a rough time in the clinton area especially around the limestone area sheep numbers are way down. Better bet to either put in for the ashnola late draw or stay up north where game is plentifull.

oscar makonka
01-31-2009, 06:51 PM
Word has it they are thought to be inter-breeding. This from a biologist.

I think all the sheep along both sides of the Fraser from north of Lillooet possibly all the way to Big Bar down to Lytton and then up the Thompson to Spences bridge and Cache Creek and all the way to Kamloops are pretty much hybrids these days. They've been mixing together for so long I doubt that there is much DNA that would differentiate them as a clearly seperate species in most of those areas anymore.