PDA

View Full Version : Shot Placement Poll: behind rear or front shoulder?

Thunderstix
10-23-2005, 09:34 AM
Almost everyone says it, but how the heck did it start?!!

oldtimer
10-23-2005, 10:33 AM
I don't know any animal that has a rear shoulder !!!!! if the poll means the hip then never, never, never. Mike

tmarschall
10-23-2005, 10:52 AM
depends on the position of the game and what you are shooting at... but never aim anywhere near the hip (rear shoulder)

Thunderstix
10-23-2005, 11:08 AM
How amny times do you hear people say (in live action or on video), "shoot it behind the front shoulder", or "I shot him behind the front shoulder"? It is one of those little things that that I find funny and dumb at the same time. I caught myself saying the front shoulder the other day after watching a Jim Shockey video, and I thought, "what the heck am I saying"? There is NO FRONT SHOULDER!

Thunderstix
10-23-2005, 11:14 AM
So I guess my whole poll was tongue in cheek. I will bet if you have never noticed people or yourself saying "front shoulder" you will from now on. There ae threads on here right now with that phrase. Of course it means nothing in the big picture if things.

Just making conversation on a Sunday.

Seabass
10-23-2005, 11:21 AM
I may aswell add to the Sunday babble. I have to say the above comments almost made me spit out my mi-morning coffee!!!! As for an animal having a front shoulder I guess it is all tongue and cheek like Thunderstix stated. Good laugh of the day. For most game I would have to go with a behind the shoulder shot but if you need to anchor your animal quicker (Bears in general or Moose too close to water) I'd have to go with a shoulder shot, (front shoulder that is :smile: .)

Cheers

Seabass

ruger#1
10-23-2005, 11:41 AM
must be one of those chernoble deer far to much radiation.

rock
10-23-2005, 01:25 PM
I try and take a lung shot on most game, that way tracking is so much easier less meat damage but in a situation you have to drop it where it stands, neck or shoulder. My son shot a moose this year at 80 yds 6" behind the shoulder dropped right there, both lungs where gone ,
Great Shot..

huntersdad
10-23-2005, 03:48 PM
boiler room baby with the occasion neck shot if Im close

eagleye
10-23-2005, 04:05 PM
Broadside shot, just at the spot where the "elbow" of the front leg points to and 1-2" higher. Angled away, aim for the opposite "shoulder" Angled towards, aim for the point of the upper leg. I have never lost any game with these shots, but there is a Caveat. If you have the "angled toward" scenario on a big animal like a big Moose or Bull Elk, Better use enough gun/bullet to be sure you get to the lungs after breaking all that bone. Partitions, Barnes X, some of the bonded bullets will do it, especially if heavy for diameter. Regards, Eagleye.

ringo
10-23-2005, 05:26 PM
How about "the front of the animal, behind the shoulder", the key words being "front" and "shoulder" when prompting a rookie, so just make a contraction, "behind the front shoulder". Not that it matters to "head" shooters or those that do a "Texas lung-shot" by way of the anus! It is better to prompt a positive shot than have to deal with a gut shot animal or one shot in the hip. Good hunting!

rrfred
10-24-2005, 09:13 AM
nice one tstix, almost bit, - I try to think of a grapefruit sized target centered between the front legs - try to make the bullet go there at somepoint while going thru the animal- either first thru lungs heart- or break the humerus in or out, depending on the shot presentation. texas heart shots need not apply. too many yummys to be wasted. cheers rrfred