PDA

View Full Version : Marlin fishing in Mexico

BIGHUNTERFISH
01-29-2009, 05:34 PM
I was wondering if any of you guys have ever gone Marlin fishing?I went to Mazatlan about 8 years ago and my dad and I went out for a day charter and each got a black stipped Marlin,what a blast.I am going back to Mazatlan at the end of March with my family and a friend and we have a couple charters booked again.I can hardly wait.:D

Muleycatcher
01-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Funny you posted this.. I just got back from Cabo San Lucas three days ago. I went marlin fishing while I was there..the action was incredible. We caught 3 marlin in 2 hours and lost one. It was a blast!!

Blainer
01-29-2009, 08:09 PM
I have fished the waters of Mexico on a few occasions,as well as other exotic locations.I have fished for Marlin but have yet to catch one,but many other species like,sailfish,barracuda,tuna,ect.
I will try my luck again in Cancun, this year in May.
This is my best to date.
Sailfish from Acapulco
9'10" 152lbs.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/100_01741.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12523&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=6747)

BIGHUNTERFISH
01-29-2009, 08:31 PM
I have fished the waters of Mexico on a few occasions,as well as other exotic locations.I have fished for Marlin but have yet to catch one,but many other species like,sailfish,barracuda,tuna,ect.
I will try my luck again in Cancun, this year in May.
This is my best to date.
Sailfish from Acapulco
9'10" 152lbs.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/100_01741.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12523&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=6747)

Beauty fish.I love Marlin fishing its like hunting you hunt till you find them then bam.:D

Plincker
01-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Anyone every done any fishing in Puerto Vallarta? I'm heading their this saturday for a week and was hoping to get out on the water if I could find a charter for a reasonable price. Trips on abit of a budget!!
What's the standard price for a day charter? I've seen anything from $400-$800 for a full day.

BIGHUNTERFISH
01-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Funny you posted this.. I just got back from Cabo San Lucas three days ago. I went marlin fishing while I was there..the action was incredible. We caught 3 marlin in 2 hours and lost one. It was a blast!!

Right on congrats,any pics to post up?:D

BIGHUNTERFISH
01-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Anyone every done any fishing in Puerto Vallarta? I'm heading their this saturday for a week and was hoping to get out on the water if I could find a charter for a reasonable price. Trips on abit of a budget!!
What's the standard price for a day charter? I've seen anything from $400-$800 for a full day.

My friends have fished Marlin and caught a few in Puerto Vallarta.Every thing in Mexico is negotiable ,you can get a good charter for up to 4 guys for around 350 US ,dont go through tour groups they all make commisions go right down to the marina the day before and talk to some of the captains.Also there are lots of guys that want to go for a charter and need an extra guy or two so it brings down the cost alot ,when you are on the boat you flip a coin to see who gets to take the rod with the first fish on.Also there is some great inshore fishing for barracuda ,snook,rooster fish and red snapper plus a ton of other fish.Dont drink too much the night befoe and take some gravel before you leave shore.good luck.

Blainer
01-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Beauty fish.I love Marlin fishing its like hunting you hunt till you find them then bam.:grin:

But unlike hunting,it is acceptable,almost encouraged to hoist a few brewskies or margaritas while fishing.
Maybe even a few to many,as I'm not the skipper.
Have fun.

01-30-2009, 09:11 AM
It's been many years but went to Mexico once, Playa Blanca, got super lucky with a 280 lb. Marlin, 2 hours 10 min to land the guide would have no part of releasing it though, "reba, reba reba resterauanteh "!! Funny actually, I turned to the others and said well I guess thats no eh?
They are a very cool fish up close, one of the fins on the underside near the rear third actually retracts and performs like a rudder inside, and 2 long feather like fins lie in a fine strip on the under belly, I have the bill off it but the mount would have cost a few thousand, then shipping ....... NOT !
CT

Muleycatcher
01-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Ya Cabo san lucas is supposed to be the best marlin fishing in the world. the guide went right to where the fish were. It was cool to see they were just jumping and thrashing around all over the place and he just tossed out a live makerel on a hook and bang fish on within 5 min of us showing up in the spot. kind of a neat way of fishing. we just chased the pelican groups around and when they all went down to feed on whatever was in the water the marlin were there seconds later..very aggresive fish. I'll be going back forsure.

srupp
01-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Been years ..20 ?? since I did that trip...next year???its a long range charter out of San diego for the gulf...and big cow tuna yellow fin...looking for that 300# one:mrgreen:..as ACCURATE reel pro staff I have some great reels..and custom Calstar and xenergy rods...would also think of doing a return trip for bill fish in Mexico during a Sept..especially black marlin...

maybe if enough interest we could get several memebers from here to do a trip..

I have also fished out of Hawaii and much prefer the gulf to Hawaii..hmmm but I almost caught a nuclear sub in Hawaii..lol it surfaced a mile or so away scared the poop out of me seeing something 4 foot ball fields long POP to the surface YIKES..

STEVEN

Plincker
01-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanx BHF for the advice. My buddy and I are staying at an all inclusive so it's gonna be hard not to have a few wobbly pops...Fishin's worth it and when I was a teen running a water taxi I learnt pretty quick that being on the water hung over Really Sucks!!