PDA

View Full Version : Todigan mt area

Wild one
01-28-2009, 10:45 PM
I have been looking in to this area for stones and I am looking for info on ways to access the area. I have heard there is a old mining road that with an atv you can get close to alpine. The other option I have looked at is hiking in on the south slope trail .I was also wondering if there is a hunt able herd of caribou?

BCrams
01-28-2009, 11:20 PM
This bow only zone is one of the better places to hunt Stone's in BC.

This should give you a good idea regarding access. Forget the ATV. It doesn't take long to hike in.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/todagin/hiking.html

kennyj
01-29-2009, 06:49 AM
Hey BCrams .You sure have the good trail info.
kenny

SteadyGirl
01-29-2009, 06:54 AM
This bow only zone is one of the better places to hunt Stone's in BC.

This should give you a good idea regarding access. Forget the ATV. It doesn't take long to hike in.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/todagin/hiking.html

Says the tri-athelete:tongue:

BCrams
01-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Hey BCrams .You sure have the good trail info.
kenny

Not really! Everyone has access to the information if you know where to look for it and in the case of your Dall hunt and Todagin etc. They're all on the BC Parks website.

Wild one
01-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks Bcrams that looks like the best option. Now just to get one of my hunting partners to suck it up and go . This would be my first hunt for stones but not the first time hunting back country any tips you might have would be great.

Wild one
01-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Yes I am a bowhunter

BCrams
01-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Hats off to the guys who bow hunt mountain game. I certainly am not at the point where I am ready to pack archery gear!

Opinions will vary regarding Todagin but mine is 'later the better'. Bigger rams start showing up later in the season from surrounding areas. Cold weather / snow can be an issue for folks.

Earlier can provide more tolerable weather, longer days for glassing / stalking etc.

You should be able to glass up legal rams every day but whether you can stalk within bow range is the question.

Wild one
01-29-2009, 10:42 AM
I am not planing this trip expecting a ram I will be happy if I can just try my luck stalking them . As for bowhunting mountain terrain it just takes some getting used to but I like it a lot more then thick bush. I will most likely be going mid Aug for 10-12 days.

BlacktailStalker
01-29-2009, 12:43 PM
That area get a lot of bowhunters in there ?

Sitkaspruce
01-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Been there a couple of times.

Once it was good with a few good rams being seen and a few hunters around. the next time, lots of young sheep, no good (legal) rams and a lot more hunters. The G/O was there as well, but was not a worry. Some guys will ruin your stock just to say thete were there first. All this was back in the mid-late nineties, so thing will have changed. I also agree with BCR, go later, we went both time during opening two weeks. Also can be limited water up there.

Cheers

SS

Wild one
01-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Sitka did you see any caribou wile in the area?As for lots of hunters I can not see it being worse than hiking in to an area open for rifle.

Ambush
01-29-2009, 08:58 PM
As for caribou, there are some sheds laying around, so a few must winter there.

Lot's of resident hunters running around.

Guide will be there. He will disrupt your hunt, if he can.

If grizzlies bother you, don't go. If you do go, don't camp in the creek bottoms.

Lot's of people go there ONCE! It's a bow-zone so the sheep should be plentifull and nearly tame, right? No, it's still sheep hunting. Seems many hunters are easily discouraged and don't return.

It's a big area and all up or down. Be ready to put on the miles.

If I was you, I'd go and have some fun.

greybark
01-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Hey Wild One , It is still a 5-6 hr non stop in from the old mine road . Bring a good camera along as the top is unique and very senic .
I suggest not camping in pass areas as these are more than likley Griz routes . Keep your eyes pealed at the higher elivations for fossil sites . Years ago I found perfect fangs of some prehistoric animal and placed then on a rock ledge above my tent where I wouldn`t forget them , Gee I wonder if they are still there ?
Well worth the trip !!!!!
Cheers

GoatGuy
01-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Counts have been really good in there. Creyke was done by the beginning of Sept and went 100% on bowhunters for sheep.

Give 'er a go.

Wild one
01-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the guide being a dick.As for grizz they don't bug me except when they steal my animal.Would be neat to find the fossil sight.

BCbillies
01-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the guide being a dick.

Just bring some extra gear (tent) and you'll be fine! Seen him lots and have done my best to avoid him but should an encounter happen the video camera should be close by. My experience with sheep hunting - hunt where there are other hunters/outfitter and known sheep. . . or hunt and not see a sole . . . usually means no sheep!

riflebuilder
01-29-2009, 10:59 PM
sounds like a good challenging hunt go for it while your knees can still take it.

Wild one
01-30-2009, 08:48 PM
What do you mean by bring an extra tent ?Does this guide go beyond just interfering with stalks.

kgriz
01-30-2009, 09:07 PM
As for the griz......when I thought about going in there I got the MOE to provide me with a signed letter that it was OK to carry a gun in there for self-defence.....I would suggest a shotgun simply so that people won't beak at you that you're hunting with it.....get a letter and carry it to show somebody who may "think" they know what they're talking about......I'm sure somebody will say that this may be being paranoid but I can assure you that they've never truly been almost eaten. If you think that it may be too heavy, I carry a sawed off double barrel 20 gauge ( just to legal length) with 2 slugs and at close range thats going to save your life and weigh ( and cost) very little.:D

pickaspot
01-30-2009, 11:54 PM
Is there more area than sheep? so you think that an experienced bowhunter would have a legitimate shot? or would he be better off just flying into a remote area and trying his luck? what do you experts think?

Shoot straight,

Adam

BCrams
01-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Is there more area than sheep? so you think that an experienced bowhunter would have a legitimate shot? or would he be better off just flying into a remote area and trying his luck? what do you experts think?

Shoot straight,

Adam

Its not unusual to go to Todagin and be able to put several stalks a day on legal rams. The question is if you're fit enough to be able to stalk rams day in day out and have the skill to get close for a shot.

Ambush
01-31-2009, 09:34 AM
Its not unusual to go to Todagin and be able to put several stalks a day on legal rams. The question is if you're fit enough to be able to stalk rams day in day out and have the skill to get close for a shot.

But some people consider it a stalk, if they see some sheep in the distance, and run after them, hoping there is a legal one in the group.

BCrams
01-31-2009, 09:37 AM
But some people consider it a stalk, if they see some sheep in the distance, and run after them, hoping there is a legal one in the group.

lol .... I would hope if they're at the point of chasing sheep with a bow, they know how critical having good binos / spotting scopes are. Quite often the several stalks are after the same ram(s) each day trying to get close.

Ambush
01-31-2009, 09:46 AM
Well Rams, I've seen some real clowns there. Some I thought were training for some kind of military sprinting contest.

More eight year old rams taken from there than full curl, I think. Even with the guide. So learn to count rings.

Sitkaspruce
01-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Well Rams, I've seen some real clowns there. Some I thought were training for some kind of military sprinting contest.

More eight year old rams taken from there than full curl, I think. Even with the guide. So learn to count rings.

That is what it was like one time while we were up there. Each and every morning it was like getting to your Fav steelhead spot before first light. Then if sheep were spotted, then for some the race was on. We usually just watched and then set up along an possible ambush spot to see if the runners would chase them towards us. It never really worked out due to the wind and others.

It can be a pretty frustrating hunt if there is lots of others up there.

SS

Greenhead
01-31-2009, 11:56 AM
I only know one guy that has taken a sheep in there and it was just like you guy's said! Two other hunters chased the ram out of bowl due to inexperience, and drove the ram right past him so he shot it. They weren't too happy, but they never stood a chance a getting anywhere near those sheep the way were doing it.
On a different note, because it's bow only, it doesn't make it any easier and there are hundreds of other places up there that hold sheep, thats why I haven't considered hunting it? Maybe a wrong choice but.....

Wild one
01-31-2009, 12:20 PM
I am almost starting to rethink my trip as the place sounds like a gong show.Would you guys think I would be better off hiking in to an area that is open general and try with my bow?

Kitimat Killer
01-31-2009, 02:15 PM
if im correct Stringfling took a ram off there last year he look back in the bow forem and you can see pics of the ram and a countrey and ask him some ? he might help you out

kk

BCbillies
01-31-2009, 02:19 PM
What do you mean by bring an extra tent ?Does this guide go beyond just interfering with stalks.

PM sent. I do my best to avoid him!

Ambush
01-31-2009, 02:20 PM
if im correct Stringfling took a ram off there last year. look back in the bow forem and you can see pics of the ram and a countrey and ask him some ? he might help you out. kk

I'm trying to do that now.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif