PDA

View Full Version : Big Hills and Billy Goats

brianscott
01-28-2009, 08:26 PM
For the last few years I have had an urge to go and chase Billy goats.

I am physically fit and have done some extended trips with a pack so hiking steep hills with a pack wont be an issue.

I am thinking of trying region 4 maybe a pack in camp style trip, maybe a spot and stalk style trip.

Im sure some of you members are familliar with some of the areas and are familliar with hunting goats.

Some info on terrain types, access to areas,general areas would be appreciated.

I am not looking for a secret spot or a trophy goat.
I am just wanting to experience a goat hunt and possibly take a goat as an added bonus.

There are some wise members on this board and would love to be able to pick the brain of an experienced goat hunter.

Thanks for your time,

Brian

01-28-2009, 08:32 PM
I see you are located in Calgary, that means you will require a guided hunt unless you have close relatives in BC who can get a temporary guiding permit.

See Section 70, BC Wildlife Act
http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/freeside/--%20w%20--/wildlife%20act%20%20rsbc%201996%20%20c.%20488/00_96488_01.xml#section70

brianscott
01-28-2009, 08:37 PM
BC resident just have a temporary work place in Alberta.
Sorry should have mentioned that

BCrams
01-28-2009, 08:45 PM
I see you are located in Calgary, that means you will require a guided hunt unless you have close relatives in BC who can get a temporary guiding permit.

See Section 70, BC Wildlife Act
http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/freeside/--%20w%20--/wildlife%20act%20%20rsbc%201996%20%20c.%20488/00_96488_01.xml#section70

Doesn't have to be a relative in BC (only if out of country and not holding a Canadian citiznship). Any person can apply for the permit to accompany. Pretty much anything goes except sheep.

goatdancer
01-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Only 3 zones open in Region 4 without LEH.

Ron.C
01-29-2009, 12:29 PM
I had never hunted goats before, and never even seen one for that matter. Perhaps it would of been better for me to try this with a rifle than my bow. Last year I put in an LEH for MU 4-25, around the Palliser River, just on this side of the Alberta Border. The odds to draw goat tag up there last year were pretty good, 1.2:1 for my draw.
This was my first trip to that area and there is definitely tons of areas back there to hunt. I saw a few goats and got fairly close, but no shot. I think getting the tag was the easy part, but last years hunt was an eye opener on wilderness hunting thats for sure.

01-29-2009, 12:30 PM
BC resident just have a temporary work place in Alberta.
Sorry should have mentioned that

There are really great opportunities for a goat hunter in the East Kootenay even though most areas are on LEH. There are three areas on GOS, but they're on GOS for a reason and very difficult access is the norm for those areas. Even some of the LEH areas are under-subscribed to because of access issues, so do not assume that because the odds are good, that it's a good place to apply for.

It will take some homework and some scouting to find the area that's right for you, then apply for the draw. Once you get the draw success rates are very good for the hunters that are willing to put in the effort and there's the potential for trophy goat in nearly every management unit.

The areas with easy access have poor odds. You'll have to figure out the balance between drawing odds and access and find the area that's right for you.

budismyhorse
01-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Brian,

check the LEH synopsis for odds and other info gleened out of it with a bit of research.......supplemented by Google Earth of course!

orrrrr,

follow Ron C's advice to a T, that place might be the most beautiful place to hunt goats in all of R4. If you are after a quality backpack goat hunt, look no further. bring a camera with lots of memory.

leadpillproductions
02-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Did you decide if you goin for goat .Let me know i love hunting goats i do have some good areas would love to go back in and get a couple more

riflebuilder
02-04-2009, 01:12 PM
I like hunting goats it is challenging and the country goats livin takes your breath away. nothing better to have than a tag and a open season ahead of you.

brianscott
02-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Thats for sure
I have been writing out gear lists and revising them constantly
and have been using some on line topo maps to check the terrain in some areas and cant wait for spring to get out scouting.

I also have to get out to the range and dial in some of these 150 TTSX that Mr.Bartell sold me.
Should make short work of a goat.