PDA

View Full Version : Meat Buck

308Lover
01-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Did you ever pass up a great looking deer/moose for one that just might be better eating?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Gang_Moose_013_SMALL.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12573&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

Brambles
01-28-2009, 02:04 PM
NOPE, I have teeth and eventually the deer will be reduced to poo. The horns are the only thing that stick around as a reminder of the hunt, and since its not that difficult to fill the freezer, why not be selective?

Sitkaspruce
01-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Deer and Black bears, Yup

For Moose, Nope. Our motto is "if it has balls, it falls" They are freezer fillers.

Cheers

SS

BCrams
01-28-2009, 02:22 PM
For Moose, Nope. Our motto is "if it has balls, it falls" They are freezer fillers.

SS

Same here. If its legal, its going down.

Speaking of which, I would like to see the whole province have a harmonized 3 pt bull elk season for a limited duration! (i.e., after the rut)

Woodrow
01-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Same here. If its legal, its going down.

Speaking of which, I would like to see the whole province have a harmonized 3 pt bull elk season for a limited duration! (i.e., after the rut)
cant find a 6 point

Steeleco
01-28-2009, 04:25 PM
They're all "MEAT" if it's legal it's dinner.

Will
01-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Did you ever pass up a great looking deer/moose for one that just might be better eating?

Nope the key word is "might".......the smaller critter isn't always gonna be the best eating, given two bucks I'll take the one with the "better" rack every time, or at least what I percieve to be the "better" rack.

Deer can have big racks and taste good too:razz:

goatdancer
01-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Deer can have big racks and taste good too:razz:[/quote]

I was gonna say something but I'd probably get slapped.....:biggrin:

Hoytster
01-28-2009, 07:19 PM
I like SS and his moto.....my first ever deer was a little tender whitey with 2x2 for head gear....thought i was in for the treat of my life....WRONG!!!!!!!!....This little critter, although a beauty, was the WORST tasting anything ever...it even stunk up the house when it was being cooked,.....I swore never to take a deer ever....the next year, I took my paramedic buddy out for his first buck...WHAMM....it was a nice buck that weighed in just over 200 pounds dressed...nice rack too..not wide, but nice and tall!....I thought that buddy was going to shoot me for guiding him to this "meat" deer......It was one of the best tasting animals I have tried!!!....sooo..that being said....I got back on the saddle and "..if they had balls...they falls..."....even got into the does. I have only had one bad tasting deer thats it....never had a bad moose..never had a bad bear....grouse or whatever....

kennyj
01-28-2009, 07:27 PM
NOPE, I have teeth and eventually the deer will be reduced to poo. The horns are the only thing that stick around as a reminder of the hunt, and since its not that difficult to fill the freezer, why not be selective?

What he said.
kenny

hunter1947
01-29-2009, 05:49 AM
For big game ,moose elk etc I will take what is legal ,for the deer family I will pass on it for a bigger one if the deer is to small.

308 that mule buck you got I would take something like him near the end of my hunt if I seen him ,nice eating deer.

goatdancer
01-29-2009, 11:55 AM
I would pass on one that still had spots.....

Shooter
01-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Ive passed on small ones looking for larger but I have never passed on a large deer looking for a smaller one. That being said I have definately taken my fair share of "meat" bucks as those "bigger" ones can be hard to pin down sometimes.

Ron.C
01-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Until I have a deer down and meat in the cooler, I'm not too selective. But given a chance at a doe or small buck standing beside a big boy, I'll take the big boy anyday.