PDA

View Full Version : Bird dogs

Geronimo
01-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Have any of you guys out there had any experience with Wirehaired Pointing Griffons--I have been researching--maybe one day a bird dog will be in the mix, but for right now it is all research--from the write-ups this breed seems to have it all-(wetland and uplands)-sounds too good to me to be true-- I'm thinking--must be extremely high maintenance, or more people would be using this dog--I like the size-look--breed-capabilities etc. also the fact that they don't shed like say a lab,or other breed-brushing and grooming I don't believe would be a problem either(as long as you don't have to groom everyday)-I had a lab-sheperd cross and lived with hair everywhere for 13 years till she had to be put down(blew a disk in her back,which rendered her rear legs useless)- I read a lot of you like Cessies, and labs I see a lot of--perhaps I should just stay with the proven and get a new vacuum, but I really like the idea of what the Griffons can do--with the right training ,of course.here is a link to a Canadian breeder back east http://www.bourg-royalkennel.com/site_anglais/index2.htm
Thanks ahead of time for sharing your knowlege

Sasquatch
01-28-2009, 09:29 PM
I have a 4 year old Griff. They are great dogs and as you mentioned, they do not shed. The coat picks up burrs and thorns, but they lose very little hair.

They are truly versatile hunters and need a lot of exercise. I guess that makes them high maintenance.
Swim like an otter, point, track. They are very willing to please and not a stubborn breed.

You see more of them back east than here, particularly in quebec. Good breeders sometimes are a little selective as to who gets a dog and like to sell them to hunters.
I sure hope it stays that way.