PDA

View Full Version : gps on iPhone can be used for hunting?

elker
01-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Thank you for any input on it. I need to know whether I can use gps on iPhone when I go hunting in the mountains.

Rogers called me yesterday to promote iphone. I told them to call me again this afternoon because I need to know more about iphone.

my concern is while we can certainly use gps in town, will it still be available if we go deep in the mountain, say northern bc?

the saleman will call me in a few hours, pls share your experience for me.

thanks

cainer
01-28-2009, 10:13 AM
My understanding is that it maps your gps position with wifi from cellular towers, not satellite-so if you're deep in the bush, you're basically up shit-creek with a piece of electronics as a paddle.
you can probably save pictures of google earth in it (of the area you're hunting), but it won't show you where you are.

Sunny
01-28-2009, 10:21 AM
totally agree

BiG Boar
01-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Ya doesnt work unless you have cell phone reception. Which usually isnt deep in the mountains. However, you might be able to map out google earth on it before hand, by scrolling around your area in as close as you can, and then be able to use it in the field, it just wont tell you your location. It works for a laptop anyways.

Angel
01-28-2009, 10:59 AM
My iphone will tell me where i am weather i am in cell range or not. it has the gsp in it and you can download additional software through apps. I would find out for sure if it will work where you need it tho. From my understanding it can narrow in on where you are located from pretty much anywhere. Im sure there are limitations but i am not aware if it has alot to do with cell range and reception.

goatdancer
01-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Google 'IPhone'. It'll tell you what you need to know. The GPS is not dependent on cell coverage.

brian
01-28-2009, 05:05 PM
How good is the antennae? Can you still get satellites under good forest cover? Can you create way points or keep a record of your tracks? If you can then why not?

Knobbies
01-28-2009, 10:54 PM
My understanding is that the iPhone uses GPS satellites for positioning, but it's pretty weak, and has to use cellular tower triangulation to supplement it. I wouldn't trust it outside of cell range, but then I haven't tried it either.

What I'd be more concerned about is battery life: if the GPS app is running, I'd be surprised if I'd get 5 hrs out of it, and it's not like you can just slap in a couple spare AAs. I considered using mine but went and bought a used GPS instead.

husky30-06
01-30-2009, 08:26 PM
DO NOT USE PHONE GPS SERVICE OUT SIDE OF CITY LIMITS............ they are just not set up for this purpose.... they are really for metro travel only, as they need a VERY good signal to be accurate. for the price of even a basic GPS, go buy just a GPS....