PDA

View Full Version : Spring is Coming?

CanuckShooter
01-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Spring is coming soon, at least now we can see the deer that are wandering around after the last warm spell......

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/deerinsnow.jpg

Chuck
01-28-2009, 10:12 AM
That's either awfully deep snow or the smallest deer I've ever seen!

Poor things, I hope they aren't travelling far!

horshur
01-28-2009, 10:33 AM
I have been watching a couple little guys who don't move more than 20 meters from there beds...usualy just laying in there beds...yesterday I stopped to see whether they were alive or not...still can lift there heads so maybe a little while longer.

BiG Boar
01-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Thats incredible!

quackquackbang
01-28-2009, 11:43 AM
nice pic!! i think someone needs to give them some snowshoes!

hunter1947
01-29-2009, 05:56 AM
I have noticed that we are getting more light earlier in the mornings and latter at night ,love it http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

one-shot-wonder
01-29-2009, 09:05 AM
I have been watching a couple little guys who don't move more than 20 meters from there beds...usualy just laying in there beds...yesterday I stopped to see whether they were alive or not...still can lift there heads so maybe a little while longer.

Any plan to help them out? Pack some alfalfa up there, or cut some fir bows down. or oops the wind must have blown that fir tree over.......
What does the browse in the area look like? pretty well consumed or is there still suffice winter supply?

I hiked around in some winter range on the weekend and found every shrub had been pounded by the elk & deer that share the hillside. The snow is sure crusty. The yotes and deer don't break through but the elk do.

Ultimately we'll see what mother nature brings in the month to come, to see how they make it out of this trama called winter.

Piperdown
01-29-2009, 09:55 AM
It has been a funny winter with the snow. Our property out by Burns Lake has about 8 inches of snow, my buddy's ranch outside of Quesnel has 2 feet. Some areas have above average and some below. Hopefully the animals will come out of this fine.