PDA

View Full Version : Marc's Bear

willyqbc
10-22-2005, 08:41 AM
Well we came back from region 6 early as there were no moose to be seen. we spoke to a ton of other guys there and nobody was seeing anything, talked to the CO's and they hadn't seen a moose hanging in two weeks:frown: Marc did however connect on a nice blackie. neat thing was that the bear was guarding another bear that it had been feeding on. Unsure as to wether or not the bear was shot and abandoned or if Marcs bear killed it...either way it had claimed it and had it half buried. Hopefully you can see it in the pics. We are gonna spend the next few days looking for immatures/calf/deer/bear in region 7 close to home here and hopefully send Marc home with a little more meat!:grin:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/3marc_with_two_bear-med.jpg

Chris

Steeleco
10-22-2005, 08:55 AM
Great work Chris, are you taking reservations for next year yet!!!! You keep this up and Marc might just stay. LOL

Thunderstix
10-22-2005, 09:26 AM
Wow! Very cool Marc! You never have to come back empty handed....just like fishing in the ocean.

todbartell
10-22-2005, 01:34 PM
congrats on the bear, but too bad about the moose

I'm sure there's a few to be found in the area though :wink:

Gateholio
10-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Thatr's pretty interesitng about finding the other bear...It's always interesting when you encounter weird stuff like that.:)

Nice bear!:)

Freshtracks
10-22-2005, 02:11 PM
:eek: ...Wow ... that is interesting. I wonder if maybe a grizz killed the other bear and this one claimed it. Be intersting to know. Congrats on the bear Marc.

Unusual that the moose hunting has dropped off in reg 6 ... weather?

3kills
10-23-2005, 11:59 AM
congrats on the bear marc...

bsa30-06
10-23-2005, 12:07 PM
congrats marc ,sounds like your having a great trip.

Ronforca
10-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Good going Marc.

PGKris
10-24-2005, 10:34 AM
I might be heading out for that any bull season they opened in 6-something this year (started the 22nd I think) Region 6-8 sound right? Anyways might be heading out there next weekend. I'll post any info I can get if I wander out that way. Congrats on a nice blackie.
KRIS

willyqbc
10-24-2005, 09:38 PM
better check your regs PGKris...any bull out there closes on the 26th

Chris

todbartell
10-24-2005, 10:09 PM
yeah you better know the seasons before you head out

CO's arent quite so forgiving when you start a sentence with "I thought..."

BlacktailStalker
10-25-2005, 11:46 PM
7-12 has produced lots of moose, 6-4 is in the secondary rut although it warmed up significantly there last night and may have put a pause on that... Thats why we came home, to save the calf meat we had hanging. The bulls are answering to calling, but there are a LOT of hunters in there. A Lot. Good luck.

Marc
10-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Here's another picture of the same bear. Sorry for the bloody mouth, I shot him between the eyes on a good rest at 75 yards, as that was the only shot he offered me. The bullet hit an inch bellow his eyes on his nose and blew through his nasal cavity before exiting his scull and continuing down 20+ inches into his spine. All that was recovered of the bullet was the copper shell. The front and after lead cores were both gone. :confused: The bear went bang flop so in my eyes the bullet performed perfectly. I wouldn't thing that there are to many other bullets out there that would penetrate that deep throught that much bone and keep together.

Marc.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/3marc_s_bear.jpg

Seabass
10-28-2005, 01:37 PM
What'd you hit him with Marc?? Caliber / Bullet??

Cheers

Seabass

BCHunter
10-28-2005, 01:48 PM
thats a nice bear! btw i like your hat, in black...cool

Marc
10-28-2005, 01:53 PM
What'd you hit him with Marc?? Caliber / Bullet??

Cheers

Seabass

It was a 300 Win Mag with a 200 gr partiton. Loaded with a max load of retumbo at roughly 75 yards. I'll try and find the bullet and post a picture as well.

Marc.

Marc
10-28-2005, 06:59 PM
Here is some pictures of the recovered bullet. I think when I was skinning out the bear I found a small exit wound that probably was the rear core slipping out.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/3partition_top.jpg http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/3partition_back.jpg

Gateholio
10-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Pretty cool..I've never seen a partiton lose it's rear core except after hitting rocks.

I suppose that it must have hit those uneven vertabre bones, and started to tumble at one point, probably as it slowed down.

What did the wound channel look like?

Freshtracks
10-28-2005, 10:25 PM
Marc,

That bears looks like he had his snout in a jar of Shmucker's jam. :lol:

Marc
10-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Gatehouse it was hard to see exactly. At first I couldn't tell where the bullet hit him as all I could see was blood coming out of his mouth & ears, but when I opened his mouth up and looked inside I could see where the bullet had passed through his nasal passage through his throat and down the spine. It was kind of a lucky shot that I smacked him in the nose and it continued down his spine. When we were cutting him up Swamper found the bullet a good 20 inches down it's spine and that was with the head cut off there was a lot of crushed bone and that blood jelly like mush down the spine. Lucky enough the loins were still good. My guess is like you suggested the bullet probably started to cartwheel as it was going through the vertebrae and the core separated reflected and founds it way out of the bear. When we were skinning it I found a spot that was blood shot about the size of a quarter and found a small hole the size of a pencil so I'm guessing this is where it exited.

I'm still impressed that the bullet held together as well as it did. I'm sure if it hadn't had been a partition it wouldn't have penetrated as far and caused more blood shot. Even with a poorly constructed bullet shot in the same place would have taken this animal but probably would have damaged more meat.

So far this fall I’ve fired two bullets and recovered two animals. No monsters mind you but plenty of energy to do so if one presented itself.

Marc.

elkster
10-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Marc,

Nice bear. what's the old saying? Don't shoot till you can see the whites of their eyes. Bet they weren't white after. Is that a submarineers sweater ya all got on?

Art

Thunderstix
10-30-2005, 12:10 PM
My buddy Raffe (from Duncan) shot his first bear in the ear. You could shake the bears head and its brains would make a rattling sound (I guess it was its brains).

Marc
10-30-2005, 12:14 PM
Yup it's a submarine sweater, nothing warmer then virgin whool.
Marc,

Nice bear. what's the old saying? Don't shoot till you can see the whites of their eyes. Bet they weren't white after. Is that a submarineers sweater ya all got on?

Art

Thunderstix
10-30-2005, 12:20 PM
Das Boot!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gateholio
10-30-2005, 10:16 PM
Marc

It woudl be interesting to email Nosler the pic of your bullet.

it sure didn't fail, but it would be cool to see what they have to say.

Like I said, pretty interesting recovered bullet, I've never seena partition look like that out of game. Actually I almost never recover them, so maybe they all look like that, and I never would know!:cool:

Marc
11-01-2005, 06:24 PM
The Misses and I tried some of the bear steaks on Sunday night; I was pleasantly surprised how delicious and tender they were. I marinated them with Kraft Balsamic Vinaigrette salad dressing for 3 hours and fired them up on the BBQ. I served them up with a baked potato, sour cream, a side salad, and a glass of homebrew Cabernet Shiraz Red wine that’s been aging for a couple of years. You can’t ask for anything better then that!

Marc.

todbartell
11-01-2005, 06:39 PM
\You can’t ask for anything better then that!

how about whitetail round steaks cooked on the George Foreman grill and a plate of Kraft Dinner :D

bsa30-06
11-01-2005, 07:10 PM
well that sounds alot better than my dinner.

oldtimer
11-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Marc-- it probably helped that it was a cariboo bear. glad you enjoyed.
Firebird---- KRAFT DINNER ???????????? you gotta be kidding.
MIKE

todbartell
11-01-2005, 07:43 PM
ORANGE DEATH!

a staple of my diet, as I spend my grocery money on rifles and scopes :mad: :-P

Marc
11-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Gatehouse, I just fired off an email with pictures of the bullet to Nosler, curious what they have to say on the subject. I'll post up the reply when I get one.

Marc.

Steeleco
11-02-2005, 11:12 PM
My buddy Chappy always take KD with us, just incase, not once in ten years have I had to eat that crap, incentive to stay safe I suppose.

Marc, your dinner sounds good, I'll be right over!!! don't worry I'll eat mine cold, keeping game meat warm only dries it out. :lol::lol: