PDA

View Full Version : Wolf medicine advice please!

N-W-Redneck
01-26-2009, 07:42 PM
As there seems to be alot of wolf topics on HBC, I hope there are some here that can help. My FIL has been contracted to do some 'predator control' on private property, and he will be using my .243 win. for the shootin'. I have worked up a load using 70gr. Nosler ballistic tips with 42gr of 4064. A max load of 42.5 shows 3541fps in a 24" bbl. I don't have a chrony, but I am guestemating my 22" tube should be giving me about 3200-3300 fps.

I am pretty sure a good shot will mean DRT, but I am wondering what kind of pelt damage to expect. My FIL is a trapper and will be selling the pelts with the rest of his furs. Anyone out there use this bullet on wolf before and what were your results?

Thanks in advance!

Shermdog
01-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Im no pro But Id geuss that a ballistic tip would do a decent amount of pelt damage, those things expand quickly. Maybe try something that holds together better....interbond or tsx? Im sure the resident ballistics pros will give you the best advice, but if it was me I wouldnt use a BT on wolf if you want the pelt.

todbartell
01-26-2009, 08:46 PM
70 gr nolser bt is a bit nasty on coyote in my experiences but on a wolf I think it will work a bit better. on a frontal shot it did not exit a coyote

bridger
01-26-2009, 09:22 PM
I would use a nosler partition or barnes x and back off on the velocity a little bit. that seems to work out ok

Dannybuoy
01-26-2009, 10:34 PM
Sounds good to me ... I shot alot of yotes years ago with practically the same load (imr4895) just dont hit the front shoulder ...

kyleklassen
01-26-2009, 11:05 PM
if its "preadator control "and not hunting can you use fmj? depends on who "contracted" you, i'm sure if it was the government it would be o.k. but joe citizen. not so o.k.

todbartell
01-26-2009, 11:10 PM
I dont think you'll find the effect of FMJ bullet on impact to be very good. The 70 gr NBT will work well I suspect

proguide66
01-26-2009, 11:21 PM
As there seems to be alot of wolf topics on HBC, I hope there are some here that can help. My FIL has been contracted to do some 'predator control' on private property, and he will be using my .243 win. for the shootin'. I have worked up a load using 70gr. Nosler ballistic tips with 42gr of 4064. A max load of 42.5 shows 3541fps in a 24" bbl. I don't have a chrony, but I am guestemating my 22" tube should be giving me about 3200-3300 fps.

I am pretty sure a good shot will mean DRT, but I am wondering what kind of pelt damage to expect. My FIL is a trapper and will be selling the pelts with the rest of his furs. Anyone out there use this bullet on wolf before and what were your results?

Thanks in advance!

I pack a 243 while trapping , and have shot wolves with it. My trap instructor says to shoot them in the ribs just like anything else...not in the head....apperantly a head shot creates more blood stain's...:neutral:

hunter1947
01-27-2009, 06:15 AM
In my trapping book they have a pic of a wolf ,the pic has a x on the forehead , the x in the pic says to shoot them just above the eyes.

boxhitch
01-27-2009, 06:32 AM
h, read the whole thing. I bet the caliber is .22.
WMR, Hornet,maybe even shorts are good for dispatch. .

6 K
01-31-2009, 12:58 PM
My hunting with ballistic tips has always produced big exit holes with lots of blood shot. However, I haven't used them in .243. If you are looking for something that will make small exit holes look to a tough slow expanding bullet. IMHO
Curiously a friend borrowed my .338 for back up on a black bear hunt. He ended up putting a 200gr BT on the shoulder at 75yds and it didn't make it through to the vitals. Huge mess though.
Good luck on them wolves! Be sure to post some picks when the time comes.

boxhitch
01-31-2009, 10:18 PM
'light for caliber' will usually give these results. try something mid- to heavy- for tough shots.

180grainer
02-01-2009, 11:18 AM
if its "preadator control "and not hunting can you use fmj? depends on who "contracted" you, i'm sure if it was the government it would be o.k. but joe citizen. not so o.k.

FMJ's are illegal for hunting. Don't think there are any exceptions to this.