PDA

View Full Version : Back from 2 weeks in 7-12

LOC
10-21-2005, 12:57 PM
Well, we came back yesterday from 2 weeks up in 7-12 ( camped near 23rd off Pelican main). Besides the misrable weather for the first few days we ended up with a pretting good trip. 4th day into the trip my Dad filled his LEH cow in the morning :) , and then shortly after finishing up skinning that one, another of the guys filled their LEH Bull :grin: . Had a 'dry' spell for a few days where all we saw was cows, then another guy ( their was 7 of us in total) got a calf down :smile: .

That was it for large game, never saw any bear, and only one buck (but he was huge, and we chased him around for a day w/o managing to get a good shot off :-( ). Lots of does and rabbits this year.

Does anyone know why there is no sharp-tail grouse season open up there (or did I miss read the reg's)? Almost every grouse Jade (my pup) flushed or that we found was a %^&* sharp-tail so we couldn't (or didn't) shoot it. I only managed to ID two chicken that weren't sharp-tails, and they both are now at home here in my freezer.

todbartell
10-21-2005, 01:02 PM
congrats on the good hunt

must be a small local population of Sharpies there, as most of this region is Ruffed and some Spruce...

good work and congrats again :D

Freshtracks
10-21-2005, 08:22 PM
Congrats on a great sounding trip. Any pics? You can't leave us without pics.:p

Schmaus
10-21-2005, 08:22 PM
I hunt on the 1400 road all the time and there are a lot of sharp tails around. Lucky for me a lot of the 1400 road is in region 5 where there is a season.

P.S the 1400 road is 14 km's up the Pelican

LOC
10-21-2005, 08:49 PM
I have a few pics up so far:

http://www.bcexplorers.com/gallery/adventures/2005-10-08/

once I get the rest of them from the other guys, I'll post them and caption them.

The dodge is alot worse off than it looks in the pictures - took 4 of us 5 hours to get it out of the soup. It's high centered on the engine block and rear diff.

ex bc guide
10-21-2005, 09:07 PM
great pics thanks for sharing them.
Mike

Freshtracks
10-21-2005, 10:21 PM
Great pics Lee ...

Schmaus
10-21-2005, 10:46 PM
Cool pics, nice to see someone not afraid of using 4 wheel drive on a new truck.:mrgreen:

PGKris
10-21-2005, 11:14 PM
Looks like a good time. Right out the back door for me. The sharpies have done really well this year and I've been pushing the local wildlife guys to open a season in a few regions in that area. NO BEARS!! How did you pull that off?? I don't hunt down there much.....too many people.....thanks for the pics....looks kind of muddy eh!?
KRIS

LOC
10-22-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure how I managed no bear. 7 people, 6 different directions when hunting and no one saw a bear. Lots of sign, no animals. Even the gut piles from the two moose ( Cow and Bull) weren't touch by anything after a week and a half ( the calf looked like it had coyotes on it, but thats it).

There wasn't alot of people around. Two other groups of hunters during the first week ( 10 people total or so), and in the second week, I only saw two other hunters.

Kind of muddy was an understatement! The 4x4 was part of the problem - if he had kept it in 2 wheel and driven on the high ground instead of hitting the mud right on he would have gotten stuck. But none of us are afraid to use the 4x4, why have it if your not going to use it....

BlacktailStalker
10-25-2005, 11:43 PM
Hey congrats on your trip. I just returned tonight from 7-12. We took 2 calves in 7-12 in 6 days of hunting, also spent a couple days in 6-4 for mature bulls but struck out there. Saw a cougar chasing a coyote on to the road, then the cougar saw us and bolted. We saw probably 12-15 black bears, including a cinnamon bear, the largest being well over 400 pounds, but unfortunately I never saw it and I was the one with the bear tag. First day there we saw a white tail doe with a 2 point and a 3 point, but never had a whitetail tag. So we went and bought one in Vanderhoof and never saw another one! NOt as many deer as I hoped to see but we did find a HUGE 6 point mulie shed, so there are big ones there. Calf is already at the butcher, cant wait.