PDA

View Full Version : cross bow opinions please

thunderheart
01-25-2009, 05:07 PM
i have always been interested in cross bows .. does anyone have any opinions or suggestions for a novice?

Dirty
01-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Get a compound, the limbs of an Excalibur won't fit out the window of a truck. :razz:

blaker_99
01-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Compound x2 shoots thousands of arrows with one set of strings and it's a heck of a great way to kill time with your buddies.

newhunterette
01-25-2009, 06:07 PM
we have been traditional bow people for many years, Peter tried going to a compound but he didn't like the feel of it. He has a tenpoint crossbow now and loves it but he still enjoys the traditional recurves now and again.

I love my recurves but can no longer pull them, so for ability wise I am looking forward to getting my own crossbow

sometimes it is a matter of staying with something you enjoy and when you can't do it any longer finding an alternative

ElkMasterC
01-25-2009, 06:09 PM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee12/sholesshs/Smileys/popcorn.gif

OOBuck
01-25-2009, 06:13 PM
I own a Horton 175Lbs compound it shoots great, I also have fired a top of the line Excalibur they are also really nice. Can't say I would rate one over the other.

blaker_99
01-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Our family own 3 excalibur exo-max crossbows. They shoot unreal and are deadly accurate. The draw back we have found it that just like any other compound or recurve crossbow, the strings take a real beatin if you are shooting a lot. We have also had 2 sets of faulty limbs. No we never have dry fired them, they just blew up one day and scared the living sh*t out of us. We are now all back to shooting our recurves and compounds.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-25-2009, 07:16 PM
the PSE rattler Crossbow is an excellent entry level X-bow that wont break the bank

The Viper Rattler crossbow package is the best value for your money. The entry level priced Rattler model offers hi-end performance at 165 lbs. of draw weight.
It is produced with a rock solid one-piece cast riser and machined barrel construction. The short grip-stock design offers the option of an adjustable fore-end for custom fit. The complete package includes a 3-Dot Red Dot Scope, "quick detach" quiver, four crossbow bolts with points, padded sling, and shooting glasses
$370 ish
http://www.nationalarcherysupply.com/contents/media/l_pse06_rattler_crossbow.jpg

If you want the cadilac tho ... Stryker is the way to go ... the afore mentioned Crossbows are a decent mid level bows ... Strykers are the high end bows

Stryker Xbow 405 FPS Featuring twin cams that are enslaved to each other, Binary Cams function as a single unit equalizing, and automatically correcting, any imbalances in the system (limb deflections, varying cable lengths, etc).

The result is absolute synchronization, ensuring the most consistent, most efficient, and most accurate shot possible.
Whisper Silence
Highly efficient wrapped split limb design for added durability, long life, and a significantly quieter shot than other crossbows on the market. Hush kit string silencers and vibrablocks provide added stealth, eliminating the need for after-market products.
1x30 Scope
Multiple Reticle Red-Dot 1x30 Scope. This product is compatible with the Stryker and Desert Stryker crossbows or any weaver rail mount. The scope rail is fixed, for improved repeatability/durability. Its position and height is optimized both ergonomically and ballistically.
Internal Cocking Device
Having the cocking device components housed inside the bow makes for an easy cocking and de-cocking process.http://www.nationalarcherysupply.com/contents/media/stryker%20xbow%20camo.jpg
Aluminum Riser
Durable Anodized Machined 7075-T6 Aluminum Riser
Weaver Accessory Rail
Military standard Weaver rail allows for after market accessories like flashlights, bipods, laser sights, and pistol grips.
Horizontal Force Technology
Delivers greater limb angle for increased speed and accuracy with noticeably less vibration.
Foregrip
Foregrip is designed with a tapered flange to keep your fingers from entering the string flight path. Please refer to Owner's Manual for safety guidelines. It attaches to the Weaver rail and is adjustable and/or removable.
Bold Sensor
Resets the safety any time a bolt isn't present in the bow. This eliminates the possibility of accidental dry-fire as well as improving safety by automatically resetting the safety any time a bolt is removed from the bow.
The Whole Package
The Stryker package includes: Multiple Reticle Red-Dot 1x30 Scope, Four Matched 425 Gr. Bolts, Hard Carrying Case, Detachable Sling, Hip Quiver and Extra String.

all inclusive for about $1500

Now that said ... If I were in the market for a Cross bow I would go with the Desert Stryker

Desert Stryker

CENTER PIVOT TECHNOLOGY. Center Pivot engineering attaches the riser near the center of the limbs, so the limb tips move less mass weight and distance.

This creates minimal overall limb movement and the result is refined stability unlike anything experienced before.
Bolt Sensor
Resets the safety any time a bolt isn't present in the bow. This eliminates the possibility of accidental dry-fire as well as improving safety by automatically resetting the safety any time a bolt is removed from the bow.
Foregrip
Foregrip is designed with a tapered flange to keep your fingers from entering the string flight path. Please refer to Owner's Manual for safety guidelines. It attaches to the Weaver rail and is adjustable and/or removable.
Weaver Accessory Rail
Military standard Weaver rail allows for after market accessories like flashlights, bipods, laser sights, and pistol grips.
Aluminum Riser
Machined 7075-T6 Aluminum Riser
1x30 Scope
Multiple Reticle Red-Dot 1x30 Scope. This scope is compatible with the Stryker and Desert Stryker crossbows or any weaver rail mount. The scope rail is fixed, for improved repeatability/durability. Its position and height is optimized both ergonomically and ballistically.
Whisper Tech Silence
Highly efficient, long life, and a significantly quieter shot than other crossbows on the market.
Binary Cams
Featuring twin cams that are enslaved to each other, Binary Cams function as a single unit equalizing, and automatically correcting, any imbalances in the system (limb deflections, varying cable lengths, etc). The result is absolute synchronization, ensuring the most consistent, most efficient, and most accurate shot possible.
String Hook
Teflon coated string hook reduces serving wear for extended string durability.
Crisp Trigger
Crisp trigger pull with undetectable travel.
Optional EZ Draw Cocking Aid
Optional EZ2DRAW cocking aid reduces pull by 50%.
Accessory Package
Optional accessory package includes: Multiple Reticle Red-Dot 1x30 Scope, Four Matched 425 Grain Bolts, Sling, and Hip Quiver.

http://www.nationalarcherysupply.com/contents/media/l_desertstryker.gif.jpg
for about an even 1000....

thunderheart
01-25-2009, 09:17 PM
wow thanks good people .. i will be doing some homework,but i am liking the idea more, i understand one has to check the regs re: allowance of crossbows in certain areas....

and Mike thank you .. i suspect it will be an entry level xbow like the Rattler there for me or a good used one ..

boyd050
01-25-2009, 10:48 PM
it depends sowmewhat on how you hunt, I love my crossbow, I have had a couple, I now own a horton not real expensive 500 clams or so, but what i really like is it's small dimensions, for tree stand hunting it's perfect, also when i'm wandering throught the thick stuff it doesn't get in the way, mine is 150 lb compound, I have a rifle strap on it so it's easy to pack, I have some buddies with the bigger bows, and they are great but for me, I want something that fits well with how I hunt, I don't do long shots, all of the animals I have shot have been from 12 to 30 yards, so big power isn't really an asset, and bang for the buck you don't have to spend tons of money, find one you like that you shoot well and you'll be fine!

Bowzone_Mikey
01-25-2009, 11:45 PM
I deal in all the brands listed above ... lemme know if you wuld like a quote

Mike Cartwright

thunderheart
01-26-2009, 06:54 AM
thanks Mike and all contributors .... looking forward to starting

Steve Oscar
01-26-2009, 07:25 AM
my choice for a new bow would be the new for 09 Strykeforce by Bowtech. it is 18" axle to axle and shoots an amazing 385fps with a 425gr bolt. 20fps slower than its big brother the Stryker but much more compact and less money.

bushpig slayer
01-26-2009, 09:21 AM
i got my dad an excaliber exo max he is a 40 year rifle hunter and will not learn compound bows so i tried this, it feels like a rifle with a scope he is so deadly with this bow he puts me to shame.for someone that has never shot an arrow/bolt he has tagged out 2 years in a row thanks to early bow season.money well spent.you should see the look on his face when he gets a deer with it.priceless he's like a new hunter all over again.

358win
01-26-2009, 01:18 PM
I agree with Bowzone Mikey. My 14 yr. old daughter wanted to do X-bow instead of riffle so we did the Viper Rattler. She has to use a string cocker but loves it.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/tamboxbow2.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12543&size=big&cat=500)

GoatGuy
01-26-2009, 03:01 PM
I've been told Excalibur by a buddy who's into xbows.

It's really accurate.

Mr. Dean
01-26-2009, 03:11 PM
i have always been interested in cross bows .. does anyone have any opinions or suggestions for a novice?

Can't recommend anything as I haven't been 'in' to them for a while now. FUN TO SHOOT! but I found them a little cumbersome and awkward for my kind of hunting.

huntwriter
01-26-2009, 04:10 PM
I like crossbows. They are highly effective and accurate, provided one spends time to practice. But as has been said, crossbows can be a bit cumbersome to carry around. For me the crossbow is best suited for stationary hunting methods, like from a treestand or a ground blind and are less suitable for stalking, especially in thick brush. Still, a crossbow is a good choice and for some it is the only way to enjoy bowhunting.

My advice would be to shop around and try as many different models in the store as possible until you find a model that fits you and feels comfortable. Never get carried away by a brand name because they mean nothing. All brands produce good quality and lesser quality “economic” models, depending on how much you're prepared to spend.

thunderheart
01-26-2009, 09:44 PM
perfect thanks again .. was in at the sport shops today in campbell river and saw and handled a few xbows .... i like the idea of a new bow because of the no phuqt with factor
thanks 358win... how does your daughter like the red dot scope?..i take it the 3 dots are for differant distances and bushpig slayer, very cool re your ole Da ... i am not sure but i think i am getting stoked.I can see where this may be a great new experience for me

interesting talk about methods and styles when using a crossbow in the bush .. as i was handling the weapons today i wondered about that

ElkMasterC are you hoping for a show .. allready with your popcorn and soda? lmao ..

i appreciate all the posts .... had to fix the post ..lol

ElkMasterC
01-26-2009, 10:00 PM
ElkdomC are you hoping for a show .. allready with your popcorn and soda? lmao ..

Elkdom?

What did I ever do to you, you insult me so?

My crossbow opinion?

They should be for youths under 16, the elderly, and the infirm.

And maybe die-hard Freddy Mercury fans.

But that's just me.

As you all were.......nvmnd ...

thunderheart
01-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Elkdom?

What did I ever do to you, you insult me so?

sorry .. was not meant as a dig if that is the way you took it.. was my mistake ..just commenting on the helpfull posts ..i have seen the little popcorn munchin show watchin smilie on other forums ..lol ..munch away friend munch away ..lol

ElkMasterC
01-26-2009, 10:29 PM
It's OK.

I invite abuse.

It would be rude not to accept it.

358win
01-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Thunder.
I'd be asking Bowzone Mikey as I'm new at this. She loves the 3 dot scope and I imagine the dot zero distances would vary with your site in distance and complete bolt weight.
Mine is sighted in..
Top dot 30 yds.
then add 15 yds. for the centre dot.
add 12yds. for the bottom dot.
I haven't weighed my bolts but I use 22" carbon bolts with 125 gr. 3 blade Muzzy's.

Hit's an apple at 1st two and skinns it on the farthest.

Lot's of fun....

thunderheart
01-28-2009, 09:15 PM
..i take it the 3 dots are for differant distances

Bow Zone Mike so i take it the 3 red dots are for sighting in at different distances?

huntwriter
01-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Bow Zone Mike so i take it the 3 red dots are for sighting in at different distances?

Yes. Just like pins on compound bows but reds dots in a scope.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-28-2009, 10:10 PM

yep ... sorry I didnt see this thread untill now

duckhunt
01-28-2009, 11:44 PM
get an excalibur crossbow, I have one and it shoots awesome I also have a compound bow but since your new I would say use the crossbow.

thunderheart
01-29-2009, 07:21 AM
oh definatley see a new crossbow in my future .. thanks all..

Eagle1
01-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Go look at the new one put out by PSE "Tac-15" 417 fps at 170 #'s pull.
Rep says they are thinking of making one to bring into Canada. At this time the Tac-15 is used on an AR-15 frame, but very cool to see, I'd sure like to try one. pse-archery.com

pupper
01-30-2009, 11:22 AM
here is a video of my father in law shooting a barnette crossbow, check it out
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=--iCkdJEVOQ&feature=channel

huntwriter
01-30-2009, 12:58 PM
In times of recession shouldn’t we support Canadian companies like, Exaclibur?:smile:

quadrakid
01-30-2009, 07:03 PM
nice vid pupper,i shoot a compound but wouldn,t mind owning a xbow,looks like fun.

thunderheart
01-30-2009, 08:15 PM
pupper .. i am sold ..