PDA

View Full Version : Permission to hunt

kastles
01-24-2009, 08:05 PM
A while back someone had posted a letter he would give to farmers about his hunting ethics and rules he follows while on their land. I am making one up and only managed to think up a few things, like no drinking and hunting, no drive on field, permission is for me and a couple of buddys who ollow same rule, and leave gates as we have found them. i expect a few of yous have had a bi more experiance and could give me a few more point. i think there may be somethings so obvious they are not poppin' into my head. thanks

kastles

Ddog
01-24-2009, 08:13 PM
no littering
no shooting animals out of season (poaching)
respect to their land in general
everytime we have got permission we have always asked the landowner if there is anywhere we cant hunt, and always have asked them if we get lucky would they like some of what we are hunting, we have given a nice bottle of wine or whatever they have said they enjoy drinking, after the hunt, and again at the end of the season or near christmas time with a card.
i dunno maybe we went overboard but we are always allowed to hunt there the next year.

358win
01-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Couple off the top...

No shooting around livestock or buildings.
Remove all casings & trash. (even if it's not yours).
Report any problems you see to the owner.

Leave him a print out of " It is unlawfull to..." and let him know you follow it to the letter.

elkdom
01-24-2009, 08:23 PM
you might add this to list of promises?,,,

I ONLY WANT HUNT HERE! ;)

I promise no makee sexee time with farmers daughter or wife!:smile:

The 'Hummer'
01-24-2009, 08:33 PM
you might add this to list of promises?,,,

I ONLY WANT HUNT HERE! ;)

I promise no makee sexee time with farmers daughter or wife!:smile:

:lol:You're a bad man.:wink:
In addition to respecting their property, animals and any observing any other restrictions they may have, the odd case of canned smoked salmon used to 'open a lot of gates' for our pheasant hunting access. A good thank you as well as Christmas cards didn't hurt either.:smile:

Salty
01-24-2009, 08:49 PM
I've never really done the letter up front thing, but I always give a letter of thanks and a small gift. Here's an example of a letter I left last year:

Mr. Williams:

Thanks for letting me hunt your land. I fixed a few gates up on the east end there. They were kind of falling down. That's a pretty happening grow show in the silo shed there. cool.

And I can't thank you enough for your wife's help showing us around. Can she drink or what? :shock: Man alive we had to go back to the store for beer five times. She was getting a little frisky there bud, but she passed out and nothing happened.

And your daughter is a sweety. I've never been much for goth chicks but those black nails and piercings come in... ahem. Ya, like I said she's a nice girl.

Anyways hope all is well in Ft McMurray maybe we'll meet you next year. Here's the last of the Yukon Jack that I hid from your old lady. Take care.

Salty

358win
01-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Family site Salty.
Let's keep professional...

Wild one
01-24-2009, 09:14 PM
I don't know about letters , but I found if you talk to land owners in person and show respect and be polite you stand a good chance. The one comment that got me the right to hunt on land when others got turned away was "This is your land your rules and I will abide by them if I can hunt your land".

Ps if you use a bow you will get on lot of land that would normally turn away rifle hunters.

ElkMasterC
01-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Sweet, Salty...sweeeet.

Got a good laugh outta that one.

"Can she drink or what?"

LMAO

358win
01-24-2009, 09:41 PM
(Wild one]
I don't know about letters , but I found if you talk to land owners in person and show respect and be polite you stand a good chance.

I agree Wild one. Talk to the whites of there eyes, show professionalism and a hand shake makes a big difference.

Gunner
01-24-2009, 09:46 PM
[quote=Wild one;399133]I don't know about letters , but I found if you talk to land owners in person and show respect and be polite you stand a good chance.

I agree Wild one. Talk to the whites of there eyes, show professionalism and a hand shake makes a big difference.You bet,the landowner gets a chance to size you up,go for it all they can do is turn you down,it isn't the end of the world!Just remember in some areas(Langley,Surrey),Municipal bylaws control discharge of firearms,so it isn't just up to the Landowner. Good Luck, Gunner(I've also found that smoked salmon gets me instant permission to hunt geese!:smile:)

SUAFOYT
01-24-2009, 10:42 PM
All good points, but no matter how hard you try, something can go wrong. It happened to us today on our hunt. I've got mild frostbite (-42 today) and the typing is painful. Will give all the details when I get home. We have 2 elk out in the deep freeze tonight and tomorrow is not going to be a fun day. Today was the worst day I've ever had out in the bush.

hunter1947
01-25-2009, 06:44 AM
Tell the Farmer what time and date you will be on his land ,ask him if he would want the gut bag etc berried in the ground and if the ground is frozen what he would like us to do with them.

Some farmers don't like the gut bag left in the open ,invites unwanted animals and if he has kids that go out into these areas its not a petty site to see..

Ask him if he would need any help in his fields when he is harvesting his land.

Ask him if he would like a roast or two if you get an animal on his farm.

If his land holds lots of animals and you are going there lots I would ask him if he drinks alcohol and if so what kind and get him a bottle.

Its not all about you ,its about keeping this farmer happy and this is one way of showing him your respect as a hunterhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

SHACK
01-25-2009, 08:41 AM
There is quite a few good points, and a few baaaaaad ones ;)

I use to make a a sort of advertisment, just a piece of white stock layed out on the computer like a three sided pamphlet.
I would have a few photos,personal contact info, a bio, A request to hunt there land (leaving a blank space to write in for what, where, and when) some references of other property holders that let me hunt, clubs and oraganizations I belonged to, the name of my INSURER with my liability amount!, and on the back I would have a sort of contract with a few spaces for the land owner to fill out and return to me,

ie:

I_________________ ________________ the owner of the property located on_________________ have given (__your name__) permission to hunt my property for _____________.
notes:

_________________.

Well you get the idea. Its like trying to find a job, but I was always recieved well and given permission many time on land I never thought I would get on! It was easy to keep a bunch of printed of copies of your "resume/permission slip" in the truck and hand a few out to landowners I even had a few landowners drop me a line after leaving them in the mailboxes!

500grhollowpoint
01-25-2009, 09:00 AM
I always make sure I look presentable(Shaven, clean clothes etc) and show up at their house. Ask politely, ask what time is too ealy if it will be near their hose, ask if they want some game(Was only ducks for me) and the case-o-beer at the end of the season is a good idea.

Kelowna now has bylaws that don't prohibit hunting with shotgun in city limits but pretty much make it impossible. Sucks, we had a great spot. Two of us used to limit out on ducks in 45 min....we would have 3 or 4 just sneaking in to the pond...too good to be true I geuss.

Crazy.kayaker
01-25-2009, 07:52 PM
That's a great idea.....I'm gonna have to make some up we have some awesome ranch land that holds lots of deer that I'd love to try and get permission to hunt on.

hlram
01-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Salty your an Id***

kastles
01-25-2009, 09:13 PM
i realise that the face to face is very important but figured a land owner would feel more at ease with small stuff written down. also i believe that in surrey you need "written permission" to hunt the agricultural lands

kastles

Gunner
01-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Surrey requires a "Crop depredation permit".I believe the Farmer must submit it to the Municipality for approval.It may involve CWS as well. Gunner

martyonthewater
01-25-2009, 09:56 PM
you may want to include a reference to your gun club or bcwf membership and the incl. insurance it provides for his further peace of mind .

killman
01-25-2009, 09:57 PM
So what do you do just drive into there yards? I have been poking around looking for spots to hunt yotes and most places have Keep out signs or No tresspassing signs at the ends of the driveways. Are you not going to piss them off just driving in?