PDA

View Full Version : Alpine hunting?

killman
01-24-2009, 07:56 PM
I think all these High Alpine hunting pics are awesome. Without giveing any secret spots away. Has anyone hunted the Mcgregor/Torpy mountians?

BCrams
01-24-2009, 08:28 PM
What do you want to hunt for? Mule deer? Grizzly? Mountain goat? Elk?

killman
01-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Mulies would be nice.

BCrams
01-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Big country and even bigger mountains. There are a few spots which should produce some good muley bucks but from my standpoint, I havn't seen enough to want to put an effort into hunting them in Torpy / McGregor area.....yet.

killman
01-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Big country and even bigger mountains. There are a few spots which should produce some good muley bucks but from my standpoint, I havn't seen enough to want to put an effort into hunting them in Torpy / McGregor area.

So have you hunted there for other animals? It's the closest alpine I can think of, I have snowmobiled there quite abit in years gone by, but never hunted.

BCrams
01-24-2009, 09:16 PM
To tell the truth, not much at all for anything. I have spent a lot of time out there working (including 4 months straight between the old northwood camp and herrick camp) and off season scouting / hiking and have seen a lot of wildlife and what the area has to offer as far as hunting goes.

Too many places to hunt and so little time. Unfortunatly the Torpy / McGregors have taken a back seat so far.

Ride
01-25-2009, 02:52 PM
I would agree with Rams on that area. Great looking areas, not really seeing the game to draw me back regularly. That being said i did stumble on a set of hog deer tracks out the Herrick the last time i was out there but haven't had time to go back and scout the area. Hopefully this year.

Also saw more bears and wolves than most anything else.

Dirty
01-25-2009, 03:28 PM
I was in there a few years ago and saw no sign of deer. I think that area didn't even have a deer season for awhile If my memory serves me correctly (correct me if I am wrong). I think you would be better off to head in another direction. South of Prince George. PM me for details of where I am thinking.

ve7iuq
01-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Probabley too much snow in that area to be much good for mule deer.

boxhitch
01-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Mulies love big mountains.
Mulies love open, broken habitats.
Mulies love seclusion, less-travelled areas.
Mulies get by fine without large family groups or herds.
Mulies grow big when they are left to their potential.

Other posts indicate there may not be any hunting presssure on those hills.

I can't think of a better reason to go check it out.
Besides, your post is about Alpine Hunting. So what, if you don't kill anything.

BCrams
01-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Mulies love big mountains.
Mulies love open, broken habitats.
Mulies love seclusion, less-travelled areas.
Mulies get by fine without large family groups or herds.
Mulies grow big when they are left to their potential.

Other posts indicate there may not be any hunting presssure on those hills.

He's drinking to much tonight :cool:

There are indeed a couple pockets worth checking out for mule deer in the alpine though.

Keep in mind .... there's a grizzly behind every tree in the Torpy / McGregors.

Ambush
01-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Forget the Mcgregor or Torpy, unless you're just into hiking or grizzlies. Might as well look for deer where there are some. Try off the Barkerville highway, opening week.

mwj
01-25-2009, 07:47 PM
i wonder what the wolves and grizzlies are eating lol.

BCrams
01-25-2009, 07:49 PM

Thought I was on the menu once up the Torpy :???:

Ambush
01-25-2009, 07:52 PM
razz
Salmon, moose, mice and hikers looking for mule deer.

Dirty
01-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Read some of Jack Boudreau's books about that area and the encounters with Grizzly's by trappers and outfitters. There is definitely a whack of them up in there.

boxhitch
01-25-2009, 08:33 PM
JB's books were written about a different era, iirc.

There are indeed a couple pockets worth checking out for mule deer in the alpine though.
Keep in mind .... there's a grizzly behind every tree
You have trees in the alpine ?

killman
01-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Yes I have read JB books aswell, probably more grizz there now:razz:. And you do have to go through the trees to get to the alpine, unless your droping from a plane I guess.

BCrams
01-25-2009, 08:42 PM
You have trees in the alpine ?

Funny boy. :roll:

PGK
01-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Hahahaha this thread makes me happy :D
I think Boxhitch has it. There's a wack load of country back there, and good deer populations all around the area, so why wouldn't there be some nice deer up there? I think the fact that it rarely gets hunted or even traveled in keeps its secrets safe. Lots and lots of country out there.

jml11
01-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Access is an issue in the area now and is only going to get worse. There hasn't been logging back there for years. Canfor and the MOF have deactivated many roads with MANY more to come in the near future (I have inside information...). You should be able to get around on an ATV though.

The Torpy Mt. and Fang Mt. trails are nice hikes into the alpine, never seen much form game up there, the odd goat and caribou.

muleychaser
01-26-2009, 10:54 AM
I have been on a couple spring grizzly hunts in there now and one day we jumped 3 beautiful bucks in velvet. I have hiked alpine in a couple spots but one thing to keep in mind is that it ain't to far as the crow flies and you are in Walker Creek. So just where do all the mulies that winter there go? I have talked to loggers that have seen some monsters in the headlights but that country is huge, so where to start... and definately a guy would want a fall grizzly tag too!

Shane