PDA

View Full Version : Coyote help

Gnarly
01-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Ive got some extra time on my hands this winter waiting for my tools to come back from PNG, not going back to work until mid Feb and want to do some coyote hunting. 223 is sighted in and ready to go , the foxpro's all charged up and now Im just looking for a few tips and idea's as to where to go within a couple hours of Chilliwack. Gonna head down this aft later and buy some shooting sticks, got a couple of calls (raspy coaxer and howler) to go with the foxpro and have been watching Randy Anderson vids the past couple of evenings with the missus.
So I'm asking for ideas day trip stuff, gone by 7 in the morning and home by dinner time.
thanks

Mr. Dean
01-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Glad to see ya back!

Several of us are in the same boat as you - I haven't been out since x-mas and NEED to stretch my legs soon! This weekend is trash but next weekend, I'm thinking of starting up the Jeep and cruise till I find some promise,,, somewhere!!!

Might even make a weekend of it and take 'The Lodge' along also.

Barracuda
01-23-2009, 04:25 PM
I will be out for a day trip local i will let you know conditions .

If you guys want to put together a Posse i would be up for that

rishu_pepper
01-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Kyle, when's the "posse" gonna be? :D You know I've been waiting for this one, and I'm sure, the rest of HBC has been longing to see the 'yote chow. :biggrin:

Gnarly
01-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Hey Dean, I hear you about the need to get out and stretch the legs , If I get any fatter I'll be buying new pants soon. I'm gonna head out Monday or Tuesday for a look see and if your up for it maybe we can put a posse together next weekend with some of these guys and see if we can get Rishu some yote for his yote stew.
Looking forward to the scouting report Kyle and I'll keep you guys posted as to what I see scouting early next week, I'm all ears for idea's as to what direction to head in.

Mr. Dean
01-25-2009, 01:39 AM
...... I'm all ears for idea's as to what direction to head in.

I'm ready and willing to spin a pencil and go in the direction it stops. :-?

Barracuda
01-25-2009, 09:27 AM
bitter cold and windy up high not to bad down low but still windy. main logging roads are clear and most of the snow seems to have gone in lower elevations. saw no track, the ground was mainly frozen but didnt really spend much time looking .. lots of clear cuts to sit above and call once it warms a bit.

They should start the breeding cycle shortly and start locateing calls.

The lower ones where i live are allready calling and makeing a heck of a racket at night .

did i mention cold :sad:

Mr. Dean
01-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks 'Cuda. Sounds like access is getting better.

I'm trying to nail down a new set of wheels for the Jeep. With what I got now (factory), there isn't enough clearance to hang good irons on the rear (3/4ths inches 'tween coil and rubber :sad:). I should have this righted early this week, then it's; GAME ON!! :evil:

huntergirl270
01-25-2009, 03:45 PM
My mom has been having coyote problems out at her farm behind Mission. Its Hatzic Prairie/McConnell Creek area. She says she has spotted at least one wolf and that other farmers have seen it as well but I'm not sure how good her eyes are so we will head out and confirm. Probably just some really healthy coyotes. There hasn't been a wolf spotted out there for a long time but it wouldn't surprise me with the snowfall they received this year.

lucky07
01-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Quick question ... not to bring anything off subject. If you kill a coyote are you obligated (in theory) to use the meat etc. like you would tasty game or can you just blast em and take the pelt?

boxhitch
01-25-2009, 10:58 PM
are you obligated (in theory) to use the meat etc
That would depend on whose theory you choose to adopt as your personal ethic.

trapperdan2061
01-25-2009, 11:10 PM
I had some sausage made from the hinds when I was in West Virginia a few years back also had crow stew it was all very nummy

Barracuda
01-25-2009, 11:23 PM
all the yote has to do is give you its fur coat assuming it is not riddled with mange

rishu_pepper
01-26-2009, 12:24 AM
Assuming it's not riddled with mange, it's CHOW TIME! :biggrin:

PGK
01-26-2009, 12:40 AM
The thing that I've noticed they don't have problems with in Randy Anderson's neck of the woods is snow depth.
If the yotes can't move around, they aren't there. Find areas with good travel corridors. Snowmobile trails near or in fields, fencelines, etc. Anything that will allow them to move around without being in chest deep snow.

Gnarly
01-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Got out for a couple sets this afternoon, tried the foxpro and some mouth blown calls, no takers though. Was going to go scout the Merritt area tomorow but we'll see how much snow we get coming overnight.

Mr. Dean
01-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Did ya go?

Snow's coming down pretty good here....

Gus
01-27-2009, 10:25 AM
The thing that I've noticed they don't have problems with in Randy Anderson's neck of the woods is snow depth.
If the yotes can't move around, they aren't there. Find areas with good travel corridors. Snowmobile trails near or in fields, fencelines, etc. Anything that will allow them to move around without being in chest deep snow.

If they cant move around easy that should mean they cant get food easy which should mean they are hungry which should mean they are easier to call......no?

Gnarly
01-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Postponed until tommorow Dean, we were up and on the Hiway by 7:00 but got off at Bridal Falls and went home , too slippery . Roads should be better tommorow morning and we'll give it a whirl then.

Mr. Dean
01-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Ahhhh, good to here the commitment level you got.

A+

NoLimit99
01-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Well I went on my first coyote hunt today and well lets say I heard alot and only saw 2. The story goes like this.

I was walking up to my hunting spot which is up a high hill, and as you all know it's snowing and well cold as Fu** out there, so I figured I would take my time. I was about half way up the hill when I felt an eary feeling like some thing was watching me so I went to turn around and look when I slipped and fell. "Strike 1" LOL ya I know what an idiot but any who I got up and looked and saw a coyote running shi**y for me that I had to slip at that moment because at that time he was about 100 yards away a total doable shot. I figured what the hell try any ways I pointed whistled and he stopped I looked through my scope and it was all full of snow... "Strike 2". So I cleaned it off and pointed and took aim and fired. Came close but missed, pointed and whistled he stopped and went to fire again..... Click that's all I heard, Yep I forgot to pull the bolt all the way back so I didn't fully load the round in just cocked the gun, "Strike 3". At that point I packed my crap up and went home. Today wasn't my day better luck next time I guess.

Any who thought I would just share my experience of how things can go not always your way.

Sorry didn't mean to redirect or steal your post, be paitent & scout out possible locations and stick to them, get to your locations before light and sit and wait, use a call and cross your fingers listen for the coyotes to howl if you hear them you've found a decent spot.

Mr. Dean
01-27-2009, 03:58 PM
We needed a little cheering up. :mrgreen:

Even if it was at your expense. :wink:

Mr. Dean
01-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks 'Cuda. Sounds like access is getting better.

I'm trying to nail down a new set of wheels for the Jeep. With what I got now (factory), there isn't enough clearance to hang good irons on the rear (3/4ths inches 'tween coil and rubber :sad:). I should have this righted early this week, then it's; GAME ON!! :evil:

:smile: - Got a line on some new steelies. I should have things ready to rock tomorrow (inset happy dance here: ______.)!!!! !!

Gnarly
01-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Got out today finally , 3 sets and no takers. Sure was good to get out though and its a lot of fun trying to fool these wiley coyotes! saw lots of sign and I'm sure they are there I'm just not convincing enough I suppose.
http://i39.tinypic.com/9thikx.jpg

boxhitch
01-29-2009, 11:09 PM
:smile: - Got a line on some new steelies. I should have things ready to rock tomorrow (inset happy dance here: ______.)!!!! !!Sounds like you could use some springs.