PDA

View Full Version : chronic wasting diseasr

bridger
01-23-2009, 01:09 PM
with the growing concern with the possibility of chronic wasting disease finding its way into BC the moe is considering a change is regulations concerning the importing of moose, deer , elk, caribou etc from the other western provinces and the US. here is the proposed legislation note it is only proposed but in the works.

Proposed Regulation:
Restriction on import or possession of cervids killed outside of BC
(1) A person commits an offence by possessing or importing cervid heads, hides, hooves, spinal columns, internal organs, and mammary gland harvested outside of British Columbia after April 1, 2009.
(2) For the purpose of this section, a cervid head, hide, hoof, spinal column, internal organ, or mammary gland includes any part or derivative of a cervid head, hide, hoof, spinal column, internal organ, or mammary gland.
(3) For the purpose of this section, a person does not commit an offence respecting possession of a cervid hide from outside the province if, before entering British Columbia, the hide is detached from the carcass and processed by a tanner or taxidermist prior to import in such a way as to remove all tissue and hair from the hide within five days.
(4) For the purpose of subsection, a person does not commit an offence respecting possession of cervid antlers or skull if, before entering British Columbia, these parts are detached from the remainder of the skull and all hide and other tissues has been removed.
(5) For the purpose of subsection, a person is exempted if the cervid or cervid part is imported by or on behalf of a government agency or department of another jurisdiction for the purpose of scientific examination by veterinarian or recognized laboratory in BC, if from the time it enters into BC until it arrive at its intended destination, it is sealed in a waterproof container from which no fluid, tissue, or hair can escape.

boxhitch
01-23-2009, 03:25 PM
respecting possession of cervid antlers or skull if, before entering British Columbia, these parts are detached from the remainder of the skull and all hide and other tissues has been removed.

Wording may have to be straightened out, but I read that skulls may have to be boiled out before importing.

Wonder how the sampling effort went here in BC this last season ? Was there enough advertising to get participation ?

gbear
01-23-2009, 09:02 PM
So bridger, will that mean that those that travel out of province and are successful in harvesting something big, wouldn't be able to bring it home to be mounted by their local taxidermist? Unless, I guess they boil the skull plate and get a cape from a BC animal? Taxidermist's may not be too happy if that is the case. I'm sure that is part of their business, at least those that are close to the border.

Prowler
01-23-2009, 11:15 PM
I am amazed it has taken this long to do anything about this. I hunted down in Colorado regularly for 4 years with a couple of friends, and during those 4 seasons we took back 10 bucks in the back of a truck. Never had any questions at the border other than "Wow, where did you kill those?"

This is where CWD was originated in the late 60s. (I have another very interesting story as to that for another thread smetime)
Of the 10 bucks we brought home, 4 proved to have CWD. The tests done on the skulls down there took so long, that we had allready boned out, and wrapped the meat, only to find it had to be disgarded....

GoatGuy
01-24-2009, 12:31 AM
There's a lot more reading on this about what other jurisdictions are trying to do to protect themselves from CWD.

Maybe Bridger could post some of it up?

:smile::smile::smile::smile:

bridger
01-24-2009, 08:46 AM
So bridger, will that mean that those that travel out of province and are successful in harvesting something big, wouldn't be able to bring it home to be mounted by their local taxidermist? Unless, I guess they boil the skull plate and get a cape from a BC animal? Taxidermist's may not be too happy if that is the case. I'm sure that is part of their business, at least those that are close to the border.

that is what it means. If this will keep cwd out of our province in the long run i am confident that the taxidermists will understand. My view it is in everyones best interest to do what we can.

bridger
01-24-2009, 08:47 AM
There's a lot more reading on this about what other jurisdictions are trying to do to protect themselves from CWD.

Maybe Bridger could post some of it up?

:smile::smile::smile::smile:
try and do it first of the week. heading out for three day wolf hunt today

goatdancer
01-24-2009, 04:13 PM
(3) For the purpose of this section, a person does not commit an offence respecting possession of a cervid hide from outside the province if, before entering British Columbia, the hide is detached from the carcass and processed by a tanner or taxidermist prior to import in such a way as to remove all tissue and hair from the hide within five days.

Hairless taxidermy? That's a new wrinkle. The reg does say ' remove all tissue and hair '. Either something is amiss or it will mean only tanned (hairless) hides and antlers devoid of all hair and tissue. How will this affect transporting meat without evidence of sex attached?

BCrams
01-24-2009, 06:05 PM
How does this apply for those who regularly hunt in Saskatchewan and just drive their bucks home to be processed? Given the fact that hides, carcass, and antlers are separate with tags affixed to each.

Say a person shoots a big white-tailed buck in Sask and wants a euro mount with a taxi in BC?? Or even a head mount and needs to bring the hides back etc. Or even the whole body for processing at a butcher here?

dana
01-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Rams,
It sounds like they want the animals processed where they came from. Obviously it'll be more costly now for guys to hunt out-of-province, but given the seriousness of CWD, I think these rules are justified. Hunters will have to do their homework and pick out a meat processer and a taxidermist in the area they are hunting. Would be tragic if BC's deer herds were infected due to the careless act of a hunter bringing in a contaminated carcus.

Prowler,
Just curious if you contacted the Ministry when you found out that your CO bucks were infected? How did you get rid of your contaminated hides and meat?

elkdom
01-24-2009, 08:16 PM
In this area, moose deer and elk migrate back and forth across the BC / Alberta boundary, some areas I am familiar with as far as 40/50 klms either way, less than 5 klms from my home there is an Alberta elk ranch( domestic elk), the rear of the ranches deeded property borders "RIGHT" on the BC / Alberta boundary, "domestic" elk are very High at risk of CWD!.Now in this particular location drainage flows down hill into BC and into the Pouce Coupe River and eventually ends up in the PEACE River about 60 klms farther downstream, wild elk and deer actually use trails along side of the property mentioned, also water from the same drainage system, so efforts to stem harvested (dead) ungulates from entering BC would be at best only partial safe guards to protect BC herds from CWD, but LIVING animals that migrate from one province to another are of far more concern and virtually impossible to monitor or control.

BCrams
01-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Hunters will have to do their homework and pick out a meat processer and a taxidermist in the area they are hunting.

No kidding. More work indeed to plan a hunt to Saskatchewan or anywhere else.

Gunner
01-24-2009, 11:00 PM
I just filled in my taxidermist pal on this.It's going to cost him money,but he says that if it will help prevent the spread of CWD to this Province,he will support it.Whether it will prevent CWD,or whether it will eventually appear here through natural progression is another story,but I guess any steps we can take to slow it down are worthwhile. Gunner

elkdom
01-25-2009, 12:40 AM
I just filled in my taxidermist pal on this.It's going to cost him money,but he says that if it will help prevent the spread of CWD to this Province,he will support it.Whether it will prevent CWD,or whether it will eventually appear here through natural progression is another story,but I guess any steps we can take to slow it down are worthwhile. Gunner

CWD is not transmitted by dead animals, unless you plan to feed raw brain and spinal tissue to healthy uninfected cervids, and even that has been tested by the USCDC and found to date no evidence of transfer of disease from ingesting infected tissue, scientific studies to date USCDC and AVMA have determined CWD is spread through "prions" the most obvious and only spread by direct contact at sources of feed(forage) and WATER, to date there has beeen No links to human illness although CDC encourages to discard or at least only consume the lean/muscle meat portions of suspected cervids infected with CWD. Once infected CWD can be dormant up to 24 months before symptom become evident, and the only sure conclusions of disease transfer and infection comes from LIVE transport of cervids from state to state, province to province in a domestic manner prove to be the most dangerous of practices, and if these new reg's are being considered by the BC MOE then again the same as "mad cow' a DAY LATE and a DOLLAR TOO SHORT, after 5 years of MAD COW disruption and financial ruin for ranchers, alas the fact is the Brain Tissue and the Spinal tissue is most likely to contain infectious material, and hence why TWO year and older animals cannot be shipped to international markets (24 months dormant) BSE or CWD quite similar,

bridger
01-25-2009, 08:15 PM
How does this apply for those who regularly hunt in Saskatchewan and just drive their bucks home to be processed? Given the fact that hides, carcass, and antlers are separate with tags affixed to each.

Say a person shoots a big white-tailed buck in Sask and wants a euro mount with a taxi in BC?? Or even a head mount and needs to bring the hides back etc. Or even the whole body for processing at a butcher here?

bringing unprocessed animals back into bc will be a thing of the past as it now is in most provinces and western states. I know three guys that went to south dakota mule deer hunting and brought five carcasses back intact except for the entrails. coming through oregon on their way home they were arrested the deer confiscated and they were charged with bringing unprocessed deer through the state of oregon. haven't heard the outcome of the court decision. The severity of cwd is something authorities are not going to play around with or so it appears. As hunters we are going to have a change in the way we go about things that seems certain

BCrams
01-25-2009, 08:22 PM
bringing unprocessed animals back into bc will be a thing of the past as it now is in most provinces and western states. I know three guys that went to south dakota mule deer hunting and brought five carcasses back intact except for the entrails. coming through oregon on their way home they were arrested the deer confiscated and they were charged with bringing unprocessed deer through the state of oregon. haven't heard the outcome of the court decision. The severity of cwd is something authorities are not going to play around with or so it appears. As hunters we are going to have a change in the way we go about things that seems certain

Which explains the majority of deer harvested by non-residents in Saskatchewan are donated to the food bank. Which isn't a bad thing as some good does come from it. Something more and more hunters may end up doing as its 'easier' to deal with on a hunt and just dropping the cape / head off at a taxidermist on their way home should they choose to get them mounted.

I suppose there just won't be any more 'last day' meat bucks to bring home where we took the first bucks on Saturday morning, cleaned, skinned and hit the road home.

bridger
01-26-2009, 11:30 AM
this is a serious disease and the moe is looking at it very closely. The BCWF is also working very diligently on the wording that we want presented to government. The BCWF Wildlife Committee consists of volunteers around the province. If anyone has a valid opinion pm me and i will pass it along to the committee

elkdom
01-26-2009, 11:43 AM
The Alberta CWD testing and monitoring program has found 35 cases of CWD out of tens of thousands of animals tested in domestic and wild deer since Sept 2005 up until January of 2008, hardly an epidemic, and again most cases come from areas where wild deer and domestic populations are subject to close proximity , 35 confirmed cases from thousands of test results, hardly an epidemic,,,

GoatGuy
01-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Which explains the majority of deer harvested by non-residents in Saskatchewan are donated to the food bank. Which isn't a bad thing as some good does come from it. Something more and more hunters may end up doing as its 'easier' to deal with on a hunt and just dropping the cape / head off at a taxidermist on their way home should they choose to get them mounted.

I suppose there just won't be any more 'last day' meat bucks to bring home where we took the first bucks on Saturday morning, cleaned, skinned and hit the road home.

From what I hear non-res hunting might be restricted in Saskatchewan next year anyways.

CWD is very serious - there's no sense tanking any kind of risk on this sort of thing.

You can always get your meat shipped back on greyhound or better yet by air once it's been processed! ;-)

GoatGuy
01-26-2009, 11:48 AM
The Alberta CWD testing and monitoring program has found 35 cases of CWD out of tens of thousands of animals tested in domestic and wild deer since Sept 2005 up until January of 2008, hardly an epidemic, and again most cases come from areas where wild deer and domestic populations are subject to close proximity , 35 confirmed cases from thousands of test results, hardly an epidemic,,,

No sense in taking more risk than we have to. Better off being proactive than having to react to an outbreak.

riflebuilder
01-26-2009, 11:53 AM
this is a good regulation, we need to be proactive when it comes to CWD. Everywhere that has had to react to CWD has been fighting a loosing battle.

elkdom
01-26-2009, 12:12 PM
No sense in taking more risk than we have to. Better off being proactive than having to react to an outbreak.

Proactive to what? there is no scientific evidence of disease transfer from
dead animals to living animals, lab tests can only be performed on dead tissue (brain spinal), the disease can be dormant up to 24 months in healthy appearing animals, and studies even show the disease is not always transferred from mother to calves during gestation, so basically they can stop transport of domestic living animals, implement a voluntary tissue sampling program, which supposedly we have had for several years, but results are hard to find from BC, so what s prohibiting dead animals from coming into the province going to do for disease prevention? I know for a fact that a huge number of submitted head from deer and elk in Region 7B, basically rotted and were never sent to the Lab for testing! that was the MOE screw up and now they have some new approach to what they failed to take advantage of and follow through with even after hunters went through the trouble of providing specimens! sounds like more BUNKO to me!

PGK
01-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Yes, CWD is transmitted from dead animals to live animals. It is also transmitted through infected soil, water and food sources. This is scary stuff. The Peace region could take a real beating if it got over the border in a big way, and what happens if it gets through to stone sheep populations? This disease has its origins in scrapie, a domestic sheep disease. I like the regulation.

elkdom
01-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Yes, CWD is transmitted from dead animals to live animals. It is also transmitted through infected soil, water and food sources. This is scary stuff. The Peace region could take a real beating if it got over the border in a big way, and what happens if it gets through to stone sheep populations? This disease has its origins in scrapie, a domestic sheep disease. I like the regulation.
Who told you it transfers from dead to living animals?? the scientific studies say NOT!,and a for keeping CWD from entering from one province to another ,how exactly are you going to stop migrating wild herds?? CWD has been extensively tested for possible transfer to sheep and goats and found to not be possible,US AVMA tests over many years, and "scapie" remains in its own catagory a does CWD and BSE, most dieseae transfer happens from close proxcimity feeding and watering, living domestic cervids have proven the most dangerous link!

PGK
01-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Who told you it transfers from dead to living animals?? the scientific studies say NOT!,and a for keeping CWD from entering from one province to another ,how exactly are you going to stop migrating wild herds?? CWD has been extensively tested for possible transfer to sheep and goats and found to not be possible,US AVMA tests over many years, and "scapie" remains in its own catagory a does CWD and BSE, most dieseae transfer happens from close proxcimity feeding and watering, living domestic cervids have proven the most dangerous link!

If it can transmit and morph a new prion from sheep to deer, it can transmit back. It's been shown so far that this disease WILL find a way to evolve and infect new species. 3 years ago they thought it didn't infect moose. Then they found a moose in CO with a brain prion similar, but not exactly like CWD.
Transfer occurs horizontally and vertically so it doesn't make sense that they could be infected from the soil the dead animal was laying on and not the animal itself.

elkdom
01-26-2009, 12:46 PM
If it can transmit and morph a new prion from sheep to deer, it can transmit back. It's been shown so far that this disease WILL find a way to evolve and infect new species. 3 years ago they thought it didn't infect moose. Then they found a moose in CO with a brain prion similar, but not exactly like CWD.
Transfer occurs horizontally and vertically so it doesn't make sense that they could be infected from the soil the dead animal was laying on and not the animal itself.

Studies by the US CDC and AVMA confirmed many years ago that CWD was present in moose, elk and deer, so far no mutant cross over to other species, and the disease is naturally occurring in cervids, and is seldom becoming a problem except where domesticated cervids are kept or where wild herds are at risk from over population, those 2 scenarios the recipe for an epidemic,,,

GoatGuy
01-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Proactive to what? there is no scientific evidence of disease transfer from
dead animals to living animals, lab tests can only be performed on dead tissue (brain spinal), the disease can be dormant up to 24 months in healthy appearing animals, and studies even show the disease is not always transferred from mother to calves during gestation, so basically they can stop transport of domestic living animals, implement a voluntary tissue sampling program, which supposedly we have had for several years, but results are hard to find from BC, so what s prohibiting dead animals from coming into the province going to do for disease prevention? I know for a fact that a huge number of submitted head from deer and elk in Region 7B, basically rotted and were never sent to the Lab for testing! that was the MOE screw up and now they have some new approach to what they failed to take advantage of and follow through with even after hunters went through the trouble of providing specimens! sounds like more BUNKO to me!

If you could cite your sources and use quotes that would be appreciated. Probably help all of us understand things a bit better - education if you will.

If you have some papers you cut paste that would be great.

I must admit I've read a bit about it but not too much. This is one thing I'd err on the side of caution (and I'm not a very cautious person :lol:).

I've got a hunting buddy who's a doc/researcher - he's into immunology/micro bi/infectious disease etc. He's been doing it for the last 25+ years. Not that you're wrong, just that what he tells me is a bit different.

PGK
01-26-2009, 01:02 PM
It's not naturally occurring either. Whatever you've been reading, it's out of date or not the right stuff. The disease originated in MD in CO in the 60s, hypothesized to be a result of nearby sheep farms which were infected with scrapie.

Dirty
01-26-2009, 01:20 PM
It's not naturally occurring either. Whatever you've been reading, it's out of date or not the right stuff. The disease originated in MD in CO in the 60s, hypothesized to be a result of nearby sheep farms which were infected with scrapie.

PGK, Could it be a hybridization of Scrapie and BSE? :biggrin:

elkdom
01-26-2009, 02:21 PM
If you could cite your sources and use quotes that would be appreciated. Probably help all of us understand things a bit better - education if you will.

If you have some papers you cut paste that would be great.

I must admit I've read a bit about it but not too much. This is one thing I'd err on the side of caution (and I'm not a very cautious person :lol:).

I've got a hunting buddy who's a doc/researcher - he's into immunology/micro bi/infectious disease etc. He's been doing it for the last 25+ years. Not that you're wrong, just that what he tells me is a bit different.

google "American Veterinarian Medical Assoc, and CWD" then follow links to USA Center For Disease Control" also Alberta Govt F+W studies, CWD and BSE studies and Programs, I have followed this topic( CWD) and (BSE) for several years, I have handed in harvested deer heads to the BC MOE for testing, as have many others in Region 7B, only to find the MOE was not following through on their own policies, inquiries to findings for BC CWD cases have been frustrating, add to that my questions over "HOW TO MONITOR AND ISOLATE MIGRATING HERDS OF CERVIDS" has been met with BLANK STARES! I live in region that BSE (mad cow disease) devastated ranchers financially, as mad cow turned out no solutions, only to decimate ranching as an industry, I have little faith that the MOE will out perform the Federally Administered Beef Industry, as the MOE has little funding from the Prov Gov't, understaffed as for CO's and funding for Conservation Programs, I believe that this so called preventative CWD issue will turnout much the same a the "PINE BEETLE" issue! remember? they will die from cold weather! that was the BIO's story! now they can tell you CWD will be controlled by keeping dead cervids from being transported once harvested by hunters, as for CWD I hope it doesn't become epidemic, a for the MOE initiatives? pretty lame so far !

GoatGuy
01-26-2009, 02:38 PM
google "American Veterinarian Medical Assoc, and CWD" then follow links to USA Center For Disease Control" also Alberta Govt F+W studies, CWD and BSE studies and Programs, I have followed this topic( CWD) and (BSE) for several years, I have handed in harvested deer heads to the BC MOE for testing, as have many others in Region 7B, only to find the MOE was not following through on their own policies, inquiries to findings for BC CWD cases have been frustrating, add to that my questions over "HOW TO MONITOR AND ISOLATE MIGRATING HERDS OF CERVIDS" has been met with BLANK STARES! I live in region that BSE (mad cow disease) devastated ranchers financially, as mad cow turned out no solutions, only to decimate ranching as an industry, I have little faith that the MOE will out perform the Federally Administered Beef Industry, as the MOE has little funding from the Prov Gov't, understaffed as for CO's and funding for Conservation Programs, I believe that this so called preventative CWD issue will turnout much the same a the "PINE BEETLE" issue! remember? they will die from cold weather! that was the BIO's story! now they can tell you CWD will be controlled by keeping dead cervids from being transported once harvested by hunters, as for CWD I hope it doesn't become epidemic, a for the MOE initiatives? pretty lame so far !

Some of your points are very valid, however, hunters bringing dead animals into BC is a controllable factor. You're always best off dealing with what you can control than talking about what you can't.

Hunters should be informed on this stuff so that they can make their own decision. I figured you'd be the guy to do the informing.

I don't think most of the rest of it relates to the topic.

Guess I'll have to go do some fishing.

Just looking for the facts.:wink:

GoatGuy
01-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Found some - don't know these guys or who they are but the name seems to infer they know a bit about it. There's a pile there - most of the following relates to the thread about transportation of cervids and transmittion of the disease.

Chronic Wasting Disease Alliance
http://www.cwd-info.org/index.php
/fuseaction/about.faqDetail/ID/209ea1b39c93f85dde9a5a4261400ea2

How Does CWD Spread? It is not known exactly how CWD is transmitted. The infectious agent may be passed in feces, urine or saliva. Transmission is thought to be lateral (from animal to animal). Although maternal transmission (from mother to fetus) may occur, it appears to be relatively unimportant in maintaining epidemics. The minimal incubation period between infection and development of clinical disease appears to be approximately 16 months. The maximal incubation period is unknown, as is the point at which shedding of the CWD agent begins during the prolonged course of infection.

Because CWD infectious agents are extremely resistant in the environment, transmission may be both direct and indirect. Concentrating deer and elk in captivity or by artificial feeding probably increases the likelihood of both direct and indirect transmission between individuals. Contaminated pastures appear to have served as sources of infection in some CWD epidemics. The apparent persistence of the infectious agents in contaminated environments represents a significant obstacle to eradication of CWD from either captive or free-ranging cervid populations.

The movement of live animals is one of the greatest risk factors in spreading the disease into new areas. Natural movements of wild deer and elk contribute to the spread of the disease, and human-aided transportation of both captive and wild animals greatly exacerbates this risk factor. The apparent spread of CWD between captive and wild cervids is a matter of hot debate. Although strong circumstantial evidence suggests that CWD has spread from positive captive elk to wild cervids in some instances, it may never be proven which group of animals represents the source of infection. It is likely that the disease has been passed in both directions (from captive to wild animals, and from wild to captive animals).

Under - What is Being Done about CWD

Some state wildlife agencies are considering adopting or have adopted regulations regarding the transportation of hunter-harvested deer and elk carcasses out of known CWD areas. Colorado has implemented regulations that allow only boned meat, quarters (without spinal column or head) or processed meat from deer or elk to be transported out of certain CWD areas.

I'm sure there's a pile more. Like I said, don't know the credibility of the organization/website but it seems caution is a good word today.:biggrin:

Feel free to post up whatever else you find relating to CWD transmission and transportation of both dead/live critters.

GoatGuy
01-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Once again, don't know the folks or the latest - just something I found.

Environment News Service
http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/
may2004/2004-05-13-097.asp

Chronic Wasting Disease Transmitted via Environment
ARLINGTON, Virginia, May 13, 2004 (ENS) - Transmission of chronic wasting disease can take place not just through animal-to-animal direct contact but also by exposure to environments contaminated by whole carcasses or excrement of infected animals, a team of researchers from Colorado and Wyoming reports.

Colorado Division of Wildlife veterinarians Michael Miller and Lisa Wolfe, Colorado State University scientist Thomas Hobbs and University of Wyoming scientist Elizabeth Williams made the discovery, and they expect it to change the way wildlife managers handle their responses to the disease, which is similar to mad cow disease.

Miller said, "We have long suspected that chronic wasting disease could be transmitted when healthy deer were exposed to excreta and carcasses of mule deer that had the disease," said Miller. "Our findings show that environmental sources of infection may contribute to chronic wasting disease epidemics, and illustrate how potentially complex these epidemics may be in natural populations."

The research confined healthy deer in three sets of separate paddocks. In the first set, healthy deer were exposed to another deer already infected with chronic wasting disease; in the second set, deer were exposed to carcasses of deer that had died of chronic wasting disease; in the third set, deer were confined in paddocks where infected deer had previously been kept.

A few of the healthy deer contracted chronic wasting disease under all three exposure scenarios over the course of one year.

"We've had a great deal of circumstantial evidence suggesting that indirect transmission occurs," said Williams. "The experimental findings show that we need to consider several potential exposure routes when attempting to control this disease."

"Ultimately, we want to develop models that predict the behavior of the disease," Hobbs explained. "For example, we would like to predict how prevalence changes over time in different areas of Colorado."

Hobbs said previous disease models have been based on animal-to-animal contact as the sole source of infection and that disease prevalence was expected to decline as the number of infected animals is reduced. But the new finding that contaminated environments can transmit the disease means that declines in infection rates may be much slower than would be predicted by models that only consider animal-to-animal transmission."
Most researchers believe the disease is caused by an aberrant prion protein that misfolds in the brain, destroying brain tissues as it progresses in the same process that causes mad cow disease and its human form variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease.

Symptoms include lethargy, excessive salivation, loss of wariness of predators and slowly deteriorating body condition. The disease is always fatal and there is no known cure or treatment to prevent chronic wasting disease.

Federal and state health officials have found no connection between chronic wasting disease and human health. As a precaution, officials recommend that the meat of animals infected with chronic wasting disease should not be eaten.

Chronic wasting disease is a fatal neurological ailment of elk, white-tailed deer and mule deer. Most researchers believe the disease is caused by an aberrant prion protein that misfolds in the brain, destroying brain tissues as it progresses. Clinical signs include lethargy, excessive salivation, loss of wariness of predators and slowly deteriorating body condition. The disease is always fatal and there is no known cure or treatment to prevent chronic wasting disease.

Federal and state health officials have found no connection between chronic wasting disease and human health. As a precaution, officials recommend that the meat of animals infected with chronic wasting disease should not be eaten.

Miller said that while the research shows environmental contamination is possible in a captive setting, the impacts in the wild are still unknown.

"Diseases like chronic wasting disease are poorly understood and of rising concern," said Sam Scheiner, program director in NSF's division of environmental biology, which funded the research. "This study provides significant new information showing the potential for transfer of the infection through the environment after many months.

__________________________________________________ ___

I'm sure there's something a little more recent.

goatdancer
01-26-2009, 05:24 PM
If the regs stand as posted here it will mean that there will be no taxidermy mounts with the hide from the original animal because the regs state ' all hair and tissue must be removed '. I think it's a small price to pay if it helps to prevent the spread of CWD to BC.