PDA

View Full Version : Trapline Question

kinderdoggin
01-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Regarding those who maintain a trapline - are they required to post anywhere on the trapline that it is active? Or is there some regulatory official I can contact to find out where the active traplines are in my area?

The reason I ask is because there is a lot of crownland in my area and it has been mentioned by a longtime residents that there are several traplines in the general vicinity of where I was hunting grouse and whatnot. I am concerned that, because I hunt over my dogs, we may wander into a trapline and one of them will get caught up. I'm new to the area and would like to be able to find out where all the active traplines are so I can avoid these areas on my hikes and hunts.

Any ideas or information that would point me in the right direction would be helpful. I am not terribly familiar with all the regulations regarding trapping and figured there was bound to be someone on here who would know!

Erin

tomahawk
01-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Here's a starting point, the BC Trappers Association Website, they have a contact email for questions that might help.
http://www.bctrappers.bc.ca/index.html

Marc
01-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Back east I was out with my two labs for a walk, Penny my female ended up getting caught in a snare not only once but twice. Luckily she didn't panic when she got caught and I was able to free her. I'm not sure if it's the same type of snares used here but in order to free her I had to actually tighten the snare around her neck so I cold back off on the clasp.

proguide66
01-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Email this woman!...she will know , or forward you to does.This email should also get you a map of your area wich will show trap line borders with registered #'s on it.Then you email them the #'s in question , they will tell you if it is active or not.
Good idea you have !!!.......most others wouldnt think that far ahead of their outdoor activities !!

deanna.nogueira@gov.bc.ca

Pete
01-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Regarding those who maintain a trapline - are they required to post anywhere on the trapline that it is active? Or is there some regulatory official I can contact to find out where the active traplines are in my area?

The reason I ask is because there is a lot of crownland in my area and it has been mentioned by a longtime residents that there are several traplines in the general vicinity of where I was hunting grouse and whatnot. I am concerned that, because I hunt over my dogs, we may wander into a trapline and one of them will get caught up. I'm new to the area and would like to be able to find out where all the active traplines are so I can avoid these areas on my hikes and hunts.

Any ideas or information that would point me in the right direction would be helpful. I am not terribly familiar with all the regulations regarding trapping and figured there was bound to be someone on here who would know!

Erin
The entire province of BC is covered by registerd traplines. Though not required to those of us that have active traplines will often post or flag the main road or roads in to our areas. If you have a concern you can contact the Regional Environment Office and ask for the person incharge
of traplines. By far most trapping activity takes place outside of hunting seasons.

BlacktailStalker
01-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Not what you're looking for but anybody who goes into the bush/mountains/field with a dog should tie break them at an early age.
It WILL save their life.

cainer
01-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Not what you're looking for but anybody who goes into the bush/mountains/field with a dog should tie break them at an early age.
It WILL save their life.

What do you mean by Tie break?

Jagermeister
01-21-2009, 11:14 PM
There are several active trappers in the Quesnel area. Tommy Sword is one that has a trap line that is south of the Cottonwood, east of the Fraser and runs out to the Cariboo Mountains. I'm not sure of his southern boundary. He is also the predator control contractor for the area. I'm sure that if you contacted him, he would supply you with the information that you seek. I believe that he is in the 747 exchange.
I think that the trapper to the north of Tom's line is Pete but I cannot remember his last name.

hunter1947
01-22-2009, 05:52 AM
I contacted the wildlife branch in Victoria then they put me onto the people in the trapping section.

I asked for maps of the areas where there where active trap lines ,the person at the wildlife branch sent the area land maps to me on my hot mail MSN.
Thats how I found out on where there was active traplines and the boarder lines of there land that I am interested on trapping.

hunter1947
01-22-2009, 08:30 AM
This is very interesting.

http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/102898/snares.html

Tuffcity
01-22-2009, 08:59 AM
'47,

That story is 11 years old!

kinderdoggin
01-22-2009, 09:32 AM
There are several active trappers in the Quesnel area. Tommy Sword is one that has a trap line that is south of the Cottonwood, east of the Fraser and runs out to the Cariboo Mountains.

That sounds roughly like my area. I suppose most trapping is done in the winter and we don't head out as often then but I'd rather be safe then sorry. You guys have been very helpful - I will follow up on all these leads and see if I can nail down which areas to avoid.

Erin

Downtown
01-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Your local Conservation Officer has this Information at his fingertips, just give him a call.

hunter1947
01-22-2009, 05:01 PM
'47,

That story is 11 years old!

It don't mater if it is 11 years old ,nothing has changed .