PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Grizzly Authorizations

ARC
01-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Don't know if its been posted already, but the number of 2009 spring grizzly authorizations are available now.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/docs/2009SpringGrizzlyLEHAuthorizations.pdf

358mag
01-21-2009, 08:45 PM
yikes ### way up and the bear huggers + NDP say there no grizzlys in BC !!!!

PGK
01-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Wow those are way up, if I remember correctly from last year

01-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Hoping this is my lucky year !!

Giddy -UPPPP!!

CT

jml11
01-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Yeah many are way up but many are also down. 7-38 went from 34 tags to 66...must be a good reason...

hannibal
01-21-2009, 09:03 PM
When is the draw?

Gunner
01-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Some are way down,4-38 was at 50 bears last year if I remember correctly.I bet there weren't 10 shot,I know I didn't get one:-(.The weather was terrible! Gunner

358mag
01-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Think it boils down to if theres any Mountain Caribou in the region the Grizzly tags ## are way up

elkdom
01-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah many are way up but many are also down. 7-38 went from 34 tags to 66...must be a good reason...

there is a REAL good reason!! it is called "money"$$$,,, lots of LTD entry card sales,,, lots of Grizzly tag sales,,, lots of hunting licenses all =$$$

do some checking and see how many G-Bears are taken in for inspection from zone 7-38 over the last 10 years from Resident LEH hunts, check the "hunter success ratio" then you decide for yourself if it is really an improvement ?? :idea:

BCbillies
01-21-2009, 10:42 PM
I don't believe that sales of LEH's and tags would play a part in establishing numbers? Region 6 authorizations went from 343 to 303. Somewhat suprised in some zones like 6-18 that it would go from 20 permits down to 2. I can only assume that a good number of guides and/or resident hunters cut their tags and maybe took a few sows. Some areas are way way up and I've lost interest in taking a number to glass the slide and sprint to be the first to the bear! The typical political hotspots that have lots of bears but very few draws remain the same.

BlacktailStalker
01-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Out of the loop on G bears, is this LEH available for purchase now and is it drawn for this year (spring 09) ?

Are these typical hot spots as secretive as other game holes or do we all just want them managed (in areas we're likely to be hiking out with elk/moose quarters in the dark in the fall :lol:!?)

I want a grizz...

Brambles
01-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Out of the loop on G bears, is this LEH available for purchase now and is it drawn for this year (spring 09) ?

Are these typical hot spots as secretive as other game holes or do we all just want them managed (in areas we're likely to be hiking out with elk/moose quarters in the dark in the fall :lol:!?)

I want a grizz...

Yup, go to your govt agent or whoever is stocking LEH applications and get your draw in, They have to be in Victoria by Feb 4th and the draw for Spring 2009 grizz is on Feb 20th.

BlacktailStalker
01-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanx Brambles, have to do a bit of research and away it will go.

BlacktailStalker
01-21-2009, 11:21 PM
BCBillies with an avatar bear like that I wouldnt be in a hurry to rat race up a slide either :biggrin:

elkdom
01-21-2009, 11:28 PM
I don't believe that sales of LEH's and tags would play a part in establishing numbers? Region 6 authorizations went from 343 to 303. Somewhat suprised in some zones like 6-18 that it would go from 20 permits down to 2. I can only assume that a good number of guides and/or resident hunters cut their tags and maybe took a few sows. Some areas are way way up and I've lost interest in taking a number to glass the slide and sprint to be the first to the bear! The typical political hotspots that have lots of bears but very few draws remain the same.

it has been going this way for many years, and it is a short slippery slope!

(1) give out LOTS of LEH authorizations in management units with low hunter success percentages,,,
(2) give out VERY few LEH authorizations in management units with very HIGH hunter success percentages,,,

results "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" :idea:

(1) very few Grizzly bears HARVESTED, low cost solution to G Bear management!
(2) Hunting enthusiasts have still a "chance" for G Bear hunt success, but in reality a very slim chance,,,
(3) Anti-hunters are pacified by low Hunter success and feel something has been accomplished in WAR against bear hunting ,,,

This is called POLITICS, and it does affect YOUR hunting opportunities!

BCbillies
01-21-2009, 11:36 PM
BCBillies with an avatar bear like that I wouldnt be in a hurry to rat race up a slide either :biggrin:

I have absolutely nothing to complain about . . . especially with 9 grizz authorizations in 13 seasons. Starting this year I may change my strategy . . . :idea: and give others the opportunity!

Will
01-21-2009, 11:44 PM
They added one more to my preferred zone for a poke at a Spring Grizz !

Maybe this'll be my Year for a Spring Grizz trip ! :shock:

Or maybe it means if drawn my actual shot at success in this MU just went down a peg ! :?

Best of Luck on the draw Folks ! :smile:

01-21-2009, 11:52 PM
it has been going this way for many years, and it is a short slippery slope!

(1) give out LOTS of LEH authorizations in management units with low hunter success percentages,,,
(2) give out VERY few LEH authorizations in management units with very HIGH hunter success percentages,,,

results "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" :idea:

(1) very few Grizzly bears HARVESTED, low cost solution to G Bear management!
(2) Hunting enthusiasts have still a "chance" for G Bear hunt success, but in reality a very slim chance,,,
(3) Anti-hunters are pacified by low Hunter success and feel something has been accomplished in WAR against bear hunting ,,,

This is called POLITICS, and it does affect YOUR hunting opportunities!

I don't agree with you. I got my grizzly bear in an area with lots of authorizations. I saw a lot of bears. Funny thing is, I saw only a few hunters. My partner and I were ALWAYS the first into areas, whether it be by snowshoe, hiking or quad. The valley I got my bear in was polluted with grizzly, and I was the first in there...at the beginning of June! It was somewhat tough to access, but totally reasonable. I was really surprised. Either most of the authorizations were drawn by "antis", or grizzly hunters are less motivated than what I would have thought.

GoatGuy
01-22-2009, 12:05 AM
Some are way down,4-38 was at 50 bears last year if I remember correctly.I bet there weren't 10 shot,I know I didn't get one:-(.The weather was terrible! Gunner

Betcha there were! ;-)

Also, don't forget about sow harvest.

elkdom
01-22-2009, 12:05 AM
I don't agree with you. I got my grizzly bear in an area with lots of authorizations. I saw a lot of bears. Funny thing is, I saw only a few hunters. My partner and I were ALWAYS the first into areas, whether it be by snowshoe, hiking or quad. The valley I got my bear in was polluted with grizzly, and I was the first in there...at the beginning of June! It was somewhat tough to access, but totally reasonable. I was really surprised. Either most of the authorizations were drawn by "antis", or grizzly hunters are less motivated than what I would have thought.

Im really happy for you,:smile: I am not very "motivated' :| any more after many successful grizzly hunts, the fact is once you have killed a few, the thrill just isn't quite the same, but guiding for grizz has it's thrills for sure, and actually never wounding any of my own GBears, but having been charged by a few shot and not dropped by non-residents is a thrill money just cant buy! A whole different ball game shooting a pissed off G BEAR!:shock:

BigBanger
01-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Thankd brambles , I want a Grizz too .

GoatGuy
01-22-2009, 12:44 AM
there is a REAL good reason!! it is called "money"$$$,,, lots of LTD entry card sales,,, lots of Grizzly tag sales,,, lots of hunting licenses all =$$$

To be very honest, the province does not care about a couple of extra tags being sold. Also the number of applicants for grizzly bear hunting doesn't tend to fluctuate relative to the number of authorizations. If there's less authorizations people still put in, driving the odds up soooooooo no more $$ from LEH, just less hunter opportunity.

Also, there are likely very very few people (<1%) who hunt grizzly bear exclusively meaning no increase in hunting license sales.

Furthermore, the managers are the ones who make the recommended tag #s up, then they go to Victoria to be checked. Grizzly bear harvest and management strategy is the most stringent of all species.

There certainly should be more tags in some areas - you're definitely right on that but the ups and downs are not necessarily the problem.

Provincially the downs in the number of tags are mostly because of sow harvest, the ups are in part because managers are starting to get on board with the allocation policy. In some areas sampling has shown far fewer bears than were expected and some MUs have been closed - this is thought to be due to habitat fragmentation not hunting.

I think there needs to be more education on sow harvest.

do some checking and see how many G-Bears are taken in for inspection from zone 7-38 over the last 10 years from Resident LEH hunts, check the "hunter success ratio" then you decide for yourself if it is really an improvement ?? :idea:

Personally I'd rather see 66 tags than 34, but hey, that's just me.

7-38 is as close as you'll get to a guaranteed hunt. Instead of sitting at home and complaining about not getting drawn a hunter can actually go grizzly bear hunting. Sure, it's a bit of a drive, but a hunter can plan this trip.

The success rate in 7-38 is consistent with the regional average in 7A.

Most of the people who are getting drawn are not buying the tag.

Theoretically the more tags you let out, the more people you'll 'find' who will buy the tag and go hunting. Practically, that doesn't always happen as there is a threshold, but in this case I'd imagine it will. If for nothing else than this website.

And there's a pile of country and a pile g-bears in that MU - some dandies at that.

boxhitch
01-22-2009, 06:33 AM
7-38 is as close as you'll get to a guaranteed hunt.

Practically, that doesn't always happen as there is a threshold, but in this case I'd imagine it will. If for nothing else than this website.

Good posts like this will ptobabbly draw more entrants, its easy to be an keyboard-hunter. Tag sales may not rise at all.
The ratio of tag sales-to-permits should be high in reg 4.

GoatGuy
01-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Good posts like this will ptobabbly draw more entrants, its easy to be an keyboard-hunter. Tag sales may not rise at all.
The ratio of tag sales-to-permits should be high in reg 4.

Trust me, even a couple more will make a difference. ;) There have been a handful of people on this board who have put in this area in the past just for that reason and a couple of them even went hunting.

It is high in Reg 4 - highest in the Province.

01-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Im really happy for you,:smile: I am not very "motivated' :| any more after many successful grizzly hunts, the fact is once you have killed a few, the thrill just isn't quite the same, but guiding for grizz has it's thrills for sure, and actually never wounding any of my own GBears, but having been charged by a few shot and not dropped by non-residents is a thrill money just cant buy! A whole different ball game shooting a pissed off G BEAR!:shock:

What does this have to do with your original statements? You may be the most successful and experienced grizzly hunter in the province....still, I don't agree with your original statement.

Barracuda
01-22-2009, 10:22 AM
doesnt make alot of difference for our choices as the odds have stayed the same. Its up top but worth the trip :tongue:

elkdom
01-22-2009, 11:50 AM
What does this have to do with your original statements? You may be the most successful and experienced grizzly hunter in the province....still, I don't agree with your original statement.

The point I was trying to make is that, just because some management Units have more authorizations has little to do with the overall Grizzly numbers for that particular Unit, many area with large authorizations are either difficult to access or have LOW hunter success stats, many areas that have over populations of Grizzly have "piddly" amounts of LEH authorizations, as for personal experience, 35 years hunting Grizzly in many MU's across BC does leave me with some first hand Grizzly savvy, and I again will state that Grizzly hunting in BC is Politically driven, and has been ever since the BC gov implemented a Grizzly "moratorium" hence all of BC becomming LEH only for Grizzly, in some parts of BC Grizzly nmbers are huge and accessable , but authorizations remain low or NIL in these Mu's, so anyone wishing to go for LEH Grizzy just because the allotment numbers are higher in that MU , I wish you luck :wink:

srupp
01-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Grizzly hunting success seems to be "the" factor in the following years allotments...low success for whatever reason usually means more tags the next year.."lately" .
This year should be awesome for G bears with all the snow it will mean the "slide " areas will be the only good source of grub for the early part and maybe most part of the season..concentrated areas to look at first...

The last few years have seen me out in MAY..for the big guys..however this year one should definatly look a week later..especially for interior mountain bears...

30 plus years of hunting and guiding and "helping " and I still LOVE getting out for spring bears...the thrill is always there for grizzly hunting..

Good luck to all you fellow bear hunters..for those who have never been drawn I hope this is your year..and for anyone drawing a LEH tag congradulations... and if in my area of this p[rovince and I can be of any assistance or help..please dont hesitate to ask and drop me a line...

Now the hard part waiting...because there are some of the biggest bears ever to be shot STILL waiting..I personally know of four areas that hold HUGE bears..one in the interior has a big blond silvertip that is pushing 9 feet...another chocolate interior bear is 8 1/2 feet ,however huge pumpkin head..

Over on the coast south of my usual "haunt" there is a very old bear that will be over 9 feet huge head but weight wise wasnt doing so well...very old bear....and then the "cave " bear is still unharvested and he will be pretty close to Tims bear pushing 9 1/2 feet but brown ... so for those adventurous souls that enjoy this type of hunting GOOD LUCK..

CHEERS

steven

01-22-2009, 11:57 AM
The point I was trying to make is that, just because some management Units have more authorizations has little to do with the overall Grizzly numbers for that particular Unit, many area with large authorizations are either difficult to access or have LOW hunter success stats, many areas that have over populations of Grizzly have "piddly" amounts of LEH authorizations, as for personal experience, 35 years hunting Grizzly in many MU's across BC does leave me with some first hand Grizzly savvy, and I again will state that Grizzly hunting in BC is Politically driven, and has been ever since the BC gov implemented a Grizzly "moratorium" hence all of BC becomming LEH only for Grizzly, in some parts of BC Grizzly nmbers are huge and accessable , but authorizations remain low or NIL in these Mu's, so anyone wishing to go for LEH Grizzy just because the allotment numbers are higher in that MU , I wish you luck :wink:

I do agree that much of the "policy" regarding grizzly hunting is politically driven. Science is often only tangentialy involved. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing that easy access areas have a low number of authorizations. If an area has easy access bears, and also an abundance of grizzly hunters, it wouldn't take too many years for grizzly numbers to fall in that MU. It can take many years for grizzly populations to recover, as population growth rates tend to be low. I have no problem having a greater number of authorizations in areas that are more difficult to access. It's not whitetail hunting. Let grizzly hunters earn their bear...it's more satisfying that way anyway IMHO.

Mr. Dean
01-22-2009, 12:19 PM
I do agree that much of the "policy" regarding grizzly hunting is politically driven. Science is often only tangentialy involved. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing that easy access areas have a low number of authorizations. If an area has easy access bears, and also an abundance of grizzly hunters, it wouldn't take too many years for grizzly numbers to fall in that MU. It can take many years for grizzly populations to recover, as population growth rates tend to be low. I have no problem having a greater number of authorizations in areas that are more difficult to access. It's not whitetail hunting. Let grizzly hunters earn their bear...it's more satisfying that way anyway IMHO.

But if the areas were managed with population dynamics and success rates (Read: science) in mind, would be the *best* possible management strategy IMO. If allotments are politically driven,,, this doesn't 'do' a damned thing for Conservation. All it does is make the "feelings" of a few humans warm and fuzzy.

Easy harvests or not, the area should be managed according to the animals within it. If a MU can support a hunt of 20 bears, it should not have only 2 or 3 tags handed out...

Mr. Dean
01-22-2009, 12:25 PM

Most of the people who are getting drawn are not buying the tag.

Theoretically the more tags you let out, the more people you'll 'find' who will buy the tag and go hunting. Practically, that doesn't always happen as there is a threshold, but in this case I'd imagine it will. If for nothing else than this website.

And there's a pile of country and a pile g-bears in that MU - some dandies at that.

Are we hunters meeting target harvest #'s in this region?

elkdom
01-22-2009, 12:34 PM
But if the areas were managed with population dynamics and success rates (Read: science) in mind, would be the *best* possible management strategy IMO. If allotments are politically driven,,, this doesn't 'do' a damned thing for Conservation. All it does is make the "feelings" of a few humans warm and fuzzy.

Easy harvests or not, the area should be managed according to the animals within it. If a MU can support a hunt of 20 bears, it should not have only 2 or 3 tags handed out...

exactly many MU's with large Grizzly populations have Gbears being killed in large numbers by,,

1 , motor vehicles
2 , railroads
3 , human conflicts logging, oil +gas exploration, tourists
4 , rural dwellers, ranchers,(shoot,shovel,shut-up)
5 , poaching and thrill kill
6 , self species mortality

ALL these dead Gbears are of absoluty NO benefit to conservation or the hunting community , and of no contribution to Grizzly enhancement whatsoever, wasted bears!, I know from experience living and working in a couple of MU's over the last 18 years, what my own eyes tell me :icon_frow, what a waste,,,

01-22-2009, 12:44 PM

I agree that science should be the primary tool used for the management of grizzly bears and all other wildlife. In fact I spent three years working as a wildlife biologist performing large mammal inventories before making a career change. Politics and "feelings" do, however, play a part in wildlife management, epecially for iconic species such as the grizzly. I love grizzly hunting, I just would rather err on the side of caution with their managemenr as it relates to hunting. If it can be shown that grizzly populations continue to be stable or increasing in the province, it will be more difficult for the antis to generate the public support to have the hunt banned. If it becomes public that a few MUs are seeing a decrease in bears directly due to over-zealous LEH allocation, and harvest, the hunt will be banned faster than you can say "grizzly hunting". I hope that doesn't happen, as I would like my 2 year old son to have the opportunity to hunt grizzlies someday, if he so chooses.

mark
01-22-2009, 12:48 PM
exactly many MU's with large Grizzly populations have Gbears being killed in large numbers by,,

1 , motor vehicles
2 , railroads
3 , human conflicts logging, oil +gas exploration, tourists
4 , rural dwellers, ranchers,(shoot,shovel,shut-up)
5 , poaching and thrill kill
6 , self species mortality

ALL these dead Gbears are of absoluty NO benefit to conservation or the hunting community , and of no contribution to Grizzly enhancement whatsoever, wasted bears!, I know from experience living and working in a couple of MU's over the last 18 years, what my own eyes tell me :icon_frow, what a waste,,,

The 5-08 zone c (bella coola mainland) was a classic example of this, for years they had 1 draw. Locals and CO's shot about 20 problem bears a year! When I was there the locals all said they wished there was more draws, more hunters to help their little economy and take out some problem bears (win/win) shortly after they had 5 draws, now I see there is 10. Step in the right direction anyway!

Stone Sheep Steve
01-22-2009, 01:16 PM
The 5-08 zone c (bella coola mainland) was a classic example of this, for years they had 1 draw. Locals and CO's shot about 20 problem bears a year! When I was there the locals all said they wished there was more draws, more hunters to help their little economy and take out some problem bears (win/win) shortly after they had 5 draws, now I see there is 10. Step in the right direction anyway!

They used to deduct problem bears that were shot from the number of bears that they wanted us to harvest.

Seems like they finally got the picture.

SSS

Mr. Dean
01-22-2009, 01:46 PM
I agree that science should be the primary tool used for the management of grizzly bears and all other wildlife. In fact I spent three years working as a wildlife biologist performing large mammal inventories before making a career change. Politics and "feelings" do, however, play a part in wildlife management, epecially for iconic species such as the grizzly. I love grizzly hunting, I just would rather err on the side of caution with their managemenr as it relates to hunting. If it can be shown that grizzly populations continue to be stable or increasing in the province, it will be more difficult for the antis to generate the public support to have the hunt banned. If it becomes public that a few MUs are seeing a decrease in bears directly due to over-zealous LEH allocation, and harvest, the hunt will be banned faster than you can say "grizzly hunting". I hope that doesn't happen, as I would like my 2 year old son to have the opportunity to hunt grizzlies someday, if he so chooses.

But we have some of the best science that can be afforded when it comes too managing G-Bear populations. Let the model work.... With all the educated noses in there and the (what I see as intense) over-seeing, I believe that were in 'good shape' in preventing a collapse of a population.

This is the second year running that we have seen increase in various Grizz allotments. A good thing IMO.... A very good thing! :smile:

I think we should sit back a little and let the bios of the day use the tools at hand. As I also think that we hunters better get crackin' at filling our quota. WTS, this year will be my 1st time EVER at entering the lottery. :mrgreen:

Barracuda
01-22-2009, 01:47 PM
cant wait for the draw

reddog888
01-22-2009, 02:05 PM
what is the difference from last years total Grizz LEH to this years #s? has the province wide #s gone up or down?

GoatGuy
01-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Are we hunters meeting target harvest #'s in this region?

We haven't been meeting them in any region.

GoatGuy
01-22-2009, 02:57 PM
They used to deduct problem bears that were shot from the number of bears that they wanted us to harvest.

Seems like they finally got the picture.

SSS

The mortality does count against 'what hunters would have had'. A lot of the mortality is due to poor city planning and lack of bear awareness - it is a somewhat controllable factor. Some of the communities have really stepped up and taken care of their garbage.

Funny how that helps bears, hunters and the environment. :shock:

358mag
01-22-2009, 08:56 PM
bet they were over 10 Grizzlys shot in 4-38

Got my grizzly in 4-38 so what if the conditions were the sh*ts it just keeped the road hunts off the good spots and the hunters just had to work a bit harder but thats why they call it hunting not shooting !!!

winbuckhunter
01-22-2009, 09:16 PM
how does a guy find out the portions for the regions in brackets?

gary mok
01-22-2009, 09:30 PM
First time to take a draw,any good chance in Reg 4 or 5 ???any help would be appreciated,thanks a lot !!!

BCbillies
01-22-2009, 09:40 PM
how does a guy find out the portions for the regions in brackets?

Look at the maps at the back of the LEH Synopsis.

Camp Cook
01-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks for posting this thread... :)

My son and I had bought our limited draws for grizzly early last year but I thought I had until Feb 15 to get the draws in so I just finished them and they will be in the mail in the morning.

I was successful last year and we know there was another huge bear in the area then so if we are lucky we'll get a chance on that one as well... :D

silvicon
01-25-2009, 11:23 AM
there are no tags for 5-5, 5-6, or 5-12.
I did write to the reg. manager several times and got back snippy lectures and excuses. (e.g.: does not know how many grizzly in regions. needs money for population count, blah blah blah...)
that guy is nothing but a gutt-less ndp lacky buraucrat.

40incher
01-27-2009, 06:38 PM
The LEH numbers posted on the website are down big time for most of the MU's in the northern Skeena. We went from 20 in 6-18 for 2008 to 2 for 2009. MU's 6-23 through 6-29 are down considerably given that these are very remote areas with high numbers of bear.

What's MOE up to?

bridger
01-27-2009, 07:36 PM
there are no tags for 5-5, 5-6, or 5-12.
I did write to the reg. manager several times and got back snippy lectures and excuses. (e.g.: does not know how many grizzly in regions. needs money for population count, blah blah blah...)
that guy is nothing but a gutt-less ndp lacky buraucrat.

commaly held opinon

Barracuda
01-27-2009, 08:06 PM
are area didnt chnage and with any luck it will work out for us :biggrin:

chinookkiller
01-26-2010, 11:29 PM
The most new info:
SPRING 2010 GRIZZLY BEAR
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/docs/2010SpringGrizzlyLEHAuthorizations.pdf

Sitkaspruce
01-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Personally I'd rather see 66 tags than 34, but hey, that's just me.
7-38 is as close as you'll get to a guaranteed hunt. Instead of sitting at home and complaining about not getting drawn a hunter can actually go grizzly bear hunting. Sure, it's a bit of a drive, but a hunter can plan this trip.

Shhhhhh:mrgreen:

Now we will have a bunch of "I have a grizz draw for ??? and I have never been there before, can anyone help me?":-D:wink:

The problem with that area is that it can have a very late spring and most of the roads have snow on them well into June. It is also a very underutilized GB area with some good numbers of GB's in most areas.

Cheers

SS

Confused
01-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Old thread!

GoatGuy
01-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Shhhhhh:mrgreen:

Now we will have a bunch of "I have a grizz draw for ??? and I have never been there before, can anyone help me?":-D:wink:

The problem with that area is that it can have a very late spring and most of the roads have snow on them well into June. It is also a very underutilized GB area with some good numbers of GB's in most areas.

Cheers

SS

Yeah, always lots of questions. I don't mind pointing people in the direction, but it kinda sucks when they ask all the questions and don't go.

Gunner
01-27-2010, 02:40 PM
That's why I put in for the local draw.The odds are terrible,but if I do get the draw I know where the bears are and when to go lookin'.Other areas I've drawn for have really variable snow conditions and they are too far away to keep checking.I don't really like to ask others when I should go in an area I decided to draw for. Gunner

Kody94
01-27-2010, 03:18 PM
That's why I put in for the local draw.The odds are terrible,but if I do get the draw I know where the bears are and when to go lookin'.Other areas I've drawn for have really variable snow conditions and they are too far away to keep checking.I don't really like to ask others when I should go in an area I decided to draw for. Gunner

Exactly. Having to book vacation 6 months in advance of Spring Bear Season doesn't allow one to be flexible to the conditions. It would almost assuredly be a complete waste of a spring tag to give one to me for up north.

For spring griz I am stuck applying in the high odds areas near home just so I can be sure I'd put it to good use if I got it.

Sitkaspruce
01-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Yeah, always lots of questions. I don't mind pointing people in the direction, but it kinda sucks when they ask all the questions and don't go.

Yea I know. The same with me.

I have no problem with the info, but it would be nice to get a reply back from how they made out....or if they even went:confused:

Cheers

SS

bionicflite
01-28-2010, 01:14 AM
Great info guys.
I put in for 5-15A &15C

Fingers crossed....can easily get the time off with a 4 week on/of rotation.

Never put in for a draw before also.

My nephew harvested last year and is up for it again this year.

GoatGuy
01-28-2010, 01:24 AM
Exactly. Having to book vacation 6 months in advance of Spring Bear Season doesn't allow one to be flexible to the conditions. It would almost assuredly be a complete waste of a spring tag to give one to me for up north.

For spring griz I am stuck applying in the high odds areas near home just so I can be sure I'd put it to good use if I got it.

Put in the low odds in the WK. Worst case you've got to put the snow shoes on and put 4 or 5 hours behind you to hunt.

Kody94
01-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Put in the low odds in the WK. Worst case you've got to put the snow shoes on and put 4 or 5 hours behind you to hunt.
I've contemplated it, but the low odds ones are still a long ways from here and I don't know that country at all. Other than what it looks like from Hwy #3, the WK is still a mystery to me. :)

Besides, the low odds units still range from 2:1 to 7:1. In the past I've gone 7 consecutive years without getting a 2.5:1 goat draw, so in theory I could use up a whole bunch of years applying for a WK draw in an area I don't know and missing those chances at a local one.

I want the low odds Grizz areas on GOS with a one in three (or even 5) regulation. :)

GoatGuy
01-28-2010, 04:51 PM
I've contemplated it, but the low odds ones are still a long ways from here and I don't know that country at all. Other than what it looks like from Hwy #3, the WK is still a mystery to me. :)

Besides, the low odds units still range from 2:1 to 7:1. In the past I've gone 7 consecutive years without getting a 2.5:1 goat draw, so in theory I could use up a whole bunch of years applying for a WK draw in an area I don't know and missing those chances at a local one.

I want the low odds Grizz areas on GOS with a one in three (or even 5) regulation. :)

There's plenty of people willing to help you solve the mystery country. :wink:

fusion
01-29-2010, 12:04 AM
Don't know where these #'s came from but received an email from our local fish and game club today on bear stats in province. The email read:
pop. estimate for griz is apprx 16,000, sustainable human mortality= 6%, current average licence harvest= 300 g-bears which translates into approx a harvest rate of 2%.

GoatGuy
01-29-2010, 03:21 AM
Don't know where these #'s came from but received an email from our local fish and game club today on bear stats in province. The email read:
pop. estimate for griz is apprx 16,000, sustainable human mortality= 6%, current average licence harvest= 300 g-bears which translates into approx a harvest rate of 2%.

The numbers came from the MoE.

The 16,000 estimate is low as there is some data that is not 'accepted' due primarily to politics.