PDA

View Full Version : Taking a NEW HUNTER for turkeys, need help. PLEASE!

sfire436
01-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Howdy all. I posted a thread last year about Gobblers around the rock creek to Grand forks area as I was going to go. However I had to cancel the trip because of my Girlfriend at the time (she now is my ex, hehehe.) Anyways I am now taking a new hunter out this year for his first season and I want it to be a good one for him. I was hopeing some of you wonderful people could perhaps give me some good info as I am doing hunters a great service by taking a newbie out lol. I am looking at anywhere between Rock creek and Grand forks. We will be there for the opener. I have all the calls and decoys just would like some general areas to search out. I got some good info from some people last year but I deleted the messages! arrg.

PS thanks a million to Mark, he has been very helpfull so far.

Send me a PM if you can.

sfire436.

bad ducker
01-21-2009, 07:16 PM
get some maps and go and do it,no one is going to give you a spot, good luck

Dirty
01-21-2009, 07:19 PM
If you take me for dinner to Kobe Steakhouse I will tell you where to go hunt turkey's. Outrageous demand? Likewise.

Jelvis
01-21-2009, 07:20 PM
I heard Yahk is good--Gobble gobble.
Jel--a turkey can't soar with the eagles.

sfire436
01-21-2009, 10:27 PM
"general" area is what I said. Not "tell me where you shoot your turkeys"

Guess I found some already...........kidding gentlemen.

Dirty
01-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Tell us where you shot those moose in your avatar. General area.:razz:

BlacktailStalker
01-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Never heard or seen a turkey in the Yahk, ever, Jel.

palmer
01-21-2009, 10:56 PM
PM incoming

doubled
01-22-2009, 09:15 AM
sfire436, never hunted turkeys but I probably will some day. Now having said that, while out camping at Buck Lake above Beaverdell on the May long weeked a few years back, we have seen turkeys while going on a booze run down to Beaverdell on the old road. They were always down at the bottom of the valley. AGAIN it was May and I have no idea if they move around to different areas during different times of the year. Just where I have seen them. There were a few there. The only other place I have ever seen them was on the highway a few clicks before Castlegar in Oct/Nov.

SHACK
01-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Its quite simple, stay within the first 500 to 1000 feet of the valley floor, call morning an evening to locate birds (jakes and gobblers answer back very quickly if they are arround), and get ready to set up as close to the roost as possible without jumping them off. Next answer, the further east you go, the more birds your gonna find. At least thats what I found out. Cranbrook, Creston ect. has tonnes of em, and dont be shy, knock on some doors to see if you can get permission for private land. Then get prepared to see HORDS of guys driving arround the country road hunting them! ;)

SteadyGirl
03-25-2009, 06:57 AM

Prolly didn't see any elk, moose or mulies either:lol:

sawmill
03-25-2009, 07:39 AM
get some maps and go and do it,no one is going to give you a spot, good luck
What a dork,must live in the city.:frown:
Come over to the EK and I`ll take you to some spots.PM me.

Jokerwld
04-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Has anyone else heard that the numbers of birds are way down this year due to a harsh winter
we are planning on doing a story on Turkey hunting for an upcoming issue so we will be around Creston for opening day
I f you see the BC Outdoors Truck stop by to say hello
Mike

sfire436
04-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Hey y'all. Just want to say that noone has given me their spot (I would never ask or expect it) but there have been many very helpfull people and am looking forward to a great hunt come turkey season. Thank you all.

Canuck2
04-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=397614#post397614)

Taken in beautiful downtown Yahk, between the highway and railrod tracks.:grin:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/Canuck2/IMGP1276.jpg

sfire436
04-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=397614#post397614)

Taken in beautiful downtown Yahk, between the highway and railrod tracks.:grin:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/Canuck2/IMGP1276.jpg

This is one animal I would not feel bad AT ALL about shooting! Hideous!

Singleshotneeded
04-02-2009, 01:07 AM
:smile: Hey Sfire, Go to Christina Lake, turn right, and head southeast...lots of turkeys...

sawmill
04-02-2009, 05:28 AM
Fort Steele area outside of Cranbrook has a fair amount.Same for Wasa.

Springer
04-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Heres an idea. Take the highway North up the mountain from Christina lake and just before the Big Blue Bridge hang a left and get on the Old railway/trans canada trail on your mountain Bike and coast ,then call....all the way down to the Old bridge that crosses the kettle river and back to the highway where someone can pick you up or whatever. Each summer i try this route and usually see Turkeys along the way...worth a try.

GoatGuy
04-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Heres an idea. Take the highway North up the mountain from Christina lake and just before the Big Blue Bridge hang a left and get on the Old railway/trans canada trail on your mountain Bike and coast ,then call....all the way down to the Old bridge that crosses the kettle river and back to the highway where someone can pick you up or whatever. Each summer i try this route and usually see Turkeys along the way...worth a try.

you're giving away all the 'secret spots' and I like it. :mrgreen:

BCrams
04-03-2009, 08:46 PM
I hear Creston is turkey central.

Singleshotneeded
04-04-2009, 12:15 AM
:) Creston is where it all began, and still has the highest populations...

palmer
04-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Turkeys were going crazy this morning, on my way to work I saw about 30 with 4 large Toms all fanned out..the largest Tom had about a 8inch beard.

sfire436
04-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Again I want to say thanks to everyone that has given me great info, just enough to put together something really fun for the first time hunter I am taking. I will keep you all posted and will try my best for some pictures.

sfire436

Singleshotneeded
04-06-2009, 01:00 AM
:D Good luck...operation tommy turkey begins soon!