PDA

View Full Version : Something for you inlanders to drool over

Shooter
01-20-2009, 11:48 PM
My uncle sent me these pics the other day and I'm bored so I figured I'd share. He builds these traps and apparently they work pretty good.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/crabing_day_with_Father_Joe_08_0-2.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/crabing_day_with_Father_Joe_08_0-1.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/crabing_day_with_Father_Joe_08_08_0.jpg

lip_ripper00
01-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Wow good haul!! is not unusual to get prawns and crab in the same trap? Do the traps fold down? :idea:

Shooter
01-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Ya they are folding traps and he designed that trap to fish both.. As long as you don't leave them too long they fish both quite well. If you leave them too long tho the crabs eat the prawns. But its not all bad cus they mostly just eat the heads and then you have processed prawns :biggrin:

Johnnybear
01-21-2009, 09:54 AM
My uncle sent me these pics the other day and I'm bored so I figured I'd share. He builds these traps and apparently they work pretty good.

I guess so!!!:D. That's a nice haul of crabs.

As long as you don't leave them too long they fish both quite well. :biggrin:

That's handy:wink:.

Thanks for sharing. Get's me motivated to dig out the boat.

spreerider
01-21-2009, 07:28 PM
next time i am in tofino for work im gonna drop a trap outside the harbour.

01-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Where is the escape hole for undersize and the rot breakaway line should the trap be lost??
Wondering really if these are even legal on our coast.?
CT

Shooter
01-24-2009, 12:34 AM
Hahahaha... always someone on here... He sells them in many many stores.. in canada and the states. Canadian tire is one store that carries them.. I assure you they are very legal. But as always on here someone posts up a picture of some good outdoor fun and some clown pipes up.

Shooter
01-24-2009, 12:18 PM
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/crabing_day_with_Father_Joe_08_0-4.jpg

Ddog.... The picture hilights the rot-cord section. It is far wider than the required 20cm and the tension on the netting ensures that when it disintegrates it opens up enough to comply with a 7cmx20cm escape.

Curly top.... I'm glad you took your own advice and read the regs. Your first response was "where is the escape hole for undersize?" You must have read the regs now cus you dropped that one. As I said earlier it IS guys like you that ruin sites like this. Imagine how many guys have pictures that they refuse to share because they don't want the hassle of dealing with some of the clowns who are trying to fabricate everyone into law-breakers. If everyone would just enjoy the content of the site without over analyzing it I'm sure there would be far more content TO enjoy.

I am done defending this trap now. If you think this is an illegal trap then I shudder to think how you will get a good nights sleep ever again.

Plincker
01-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Hey Shooter, you said that you can get these traps at Can. Tire and other locations, I'ver never seen one in the Can. tire on the mainland here. So where can I get one!?!?! I love the Idea of getting prawns and Crab all in one trap!

Shooter
01-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Sending a pm Plincker.

ElectricDyck
01-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Imagine how many guys have pictures that they refuse to share because they don't want the hassle of dealing with some of the clowns who are trying to fabricate everyone into law-breakers. If everyone would just enjoy the content of the site without over analyzing it I'm sure there would be far more content TO enjoy.

I agree, nice haul!

thunderheart
01-24-2009, 04:41 PM
great website your uncle has .. i love the fact they collapse as an ex commercial prawn fisherman i have caught prawns in call inlet right in shallow by the booming ground but never prawn and crab in same trap .. differant tunnel size and the like .. so the possibility exists for sure given right conditions .. either way the traps look good ..looks like your unk has done his homework and marketing well .. great success to him

Salty
01-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Cool idea Shooter, looks like they fish pretty good.

Ah Curly Tops, best to know something about a topic before making sweeping condemnations. Or better yet ask a question. Politley. Have a nice day. :)

Shooter
01-24-2009, 05:29 PM
I personally have not used the combo traps as I sold my boat a year or so ago, but they are the only ones that my mother and a few other people that I know of use now. I do know that when they set them, they set them deep for prawns. What better bonus than to pull a prawn trap up and find a couple nice crab in with your prawns. Not many people ever set a crab trap in that depth anyways cus its just a pain to pull em and when you can get crab shallower why not. But to pull a trap with both is a bonus indeed.

I remember as a kid camping out at Toquart Bay in Barclay sound. Me and my father headed out to set the prawn traps and about halfway there we realized we only had half the rope. So we set the traps anyways. I think we set 2 traps at 400ish feet and 2 more we set in shallow (50-60 feet as we grabbed crab line by accident)and we just planned on changing rope after we checked the traps next time. Well I tell you the traps set in shallow out-fished the deep ones. IIRC we left them over night and the shallow ones were set at the base of a small creek so they must have been coming and feeding by the creek. Everyone gets so used to doing what they always do they get scared to try and mix it up a little.

fester
02-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Great pics!!

I just moved inland and sold my boat. I remember very well all the times we caught both crabs and prawns in our traps usually the crabs had most of the prawns in there mouths.

Fozzie
02-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Hey Shooter,

I have your Uncle's earlier version crab trap. They are the same dimensions but have a ramp on one end where the crabs walk up and fall in becoming trapped. I put them across my front deck just in front of my cockpit when im setting them in my kayak.

Oh by the way Curly Top, Mine came with the rot cord in case you lose your trap. And the last time I was checked by a fisheries officer, he made no mention that they were illegal!

betteroffishing
02-28-2009, 04:23 AM
great pics thank you for posting , sorry drooling over here

Camp Cook
03-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Awesome catch after reading the whining I decide to jump to the end...

So how many of them crabs were males the best hawl I ever made was 17 males in one trap in Winter Harbour on the north west end of Van Is.

What a feast... :D

bigwhiteys
03-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Cool Traps.... I think Curly Top was into the sauce last night... He's usually not such a goon...

One day... When I have a boat again... :)

Carl

dryflyguy57
03-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Hey Shooter , best prawning I have had was in Wakeman sound . 60 feet of water , 4 pound av. on the bugs and a few dungeness thrown in . Great idea . Curly Top they are where you find them not always where you think they are . Hope you don't hunt deer with the same attitude!

Marc
03-09-2009, 09:49 PM
2 week time out for mr curly for playing nice with others.