PDA

View Full Version : Salmo sheep feeding

boxhitch
01-20-2009, 11:06 AM
-Currently two clubs help out feeding the sheep at the Salmo feeding station, to benefit the herd in harsh times. What was a good thing 20 years ago may not fit todays picture.

-These sheep are part of a herd that lives south of the highway and into Washington state.
The sheep probably migrate less, due to the availability of easy feed.

-The MOE does not support the feeding efforts, partially due to the problems caused by the gathering of animals close to the highway.
Poaching, collisions, rubber-neck drivers, hazardous parking, etc.

-The feed station is close to the highway, so it is easy to get feed to.

-Mineral supplements placed away from the highway have not had a sufficient attraction as to keep the sheep from coming to the hughway for the salt.

- It has been suggested that the sheep should be left to fend for themselves, to follow a more natural path, without interference from do-gooders.

Some of you locals have more insight than I do.
What is the answer ?
Can the feeder be moved further off the highway ?
Is this herd needed, or should they all be translocated to safer grounds ?

Brambles
01-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Here we go!!!!

rocksteady
01-20-2009, 11:17 AM
-Currently two clubs help out feeding the sheep at the Salmo feeding station, to benefit the herd in harsh times. What was a good thing 20 years ago may not fit todays picture.

-These sheep are part of a herd that lives south of the highway and into Washington state.
The sheep probably migrate less, due to the availability of easy feed. Maybe MOE has data on this????

-The MOE does not support the feeding efforts, partially due to the problems caused by the gathering of animals close to the highway.
Poaching, collisions, rubber-neck drivers, hazardous parking, etc.In all my years of living in the East Kootenays and commuting lots to the West, I have never witnessed a vehicle killed sheep....

-The feed station is close to the highway, so it is easy to get feed to.In order to ensure the feeding is done, it has to be close to the highway....Even if it were a mile away, and the volunteers fed, some knothead would try to poach...

-Mineral supplements placed away from the highway have not had a sufficient attraction as to keep the sheep from coming to the hughway for the salt.I am unsure if the salt is the attractant or if it is the ease of walking on the highway (no snow)

- It has been suggested that the sheep should be left to fend for themselves, to follow a more natural path, without interference from do-gooders. We have an incredible resource there, not just for hunters, but also for traveling public, to have a close up encounter of a species not seen everywhere around the province (Ie..Moose or deer)

Some of you locals have more insight than I do.
What is the answer ?
Can the feeder be moved further off the highway ?
Is this herd needed, or should they all be translocated to safer grounds ?

Just my thoughts

boxhitch
01-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Good points.

There have been vehicle collisions, more often larger vehicles than cars.

Poaching anything-anywhere will never be eliminated. But easy temptation suckers in some, not all are die-hard enough to work at it.

It may be a good resource, offering a small hunting opp, and some wildlife viewing for those that are pavement-bound.

But maybe this isn't the best situation for the sheep.
Maybe Wildlife Viewing areas should have some seperation from a busy highway.

The pop. numbers seem to vary, but generally are not increasing. I doubt the MOE has ever had GPS tracking collars on any of these sheep.

Story has it that they mostly come north to summer, and head south to good winter habitat, but some are staying local due to the feeding.

boxhitch
01-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Here we go!!!!Nice contribution.

Ride
01-20-2009, 12:05 PM
I know there used to be collars on them in the past, but am unsure now as i haven't been near the herd for years. There is also an original feeder farther up the mountain that is unused any more as, if i recall correctly, the sheep weren't using it anyway and still moving down closer to the highway( but may not remember correctly). An interesting debate should shortly ensue on this topic.

boxhitch
01-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Or maybe its a non-issue.
Just thought I could drum up some info, for future meetings with MOE.
The sheep are a headache to some people, who are vocal.

Fisher-Dude
01-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Transplant them to region 8 where the winters are easier. :tongue:

Obama is going to close the border to Canadian trade, so why let the Yanks have them part of the year? Keep 'em here and hunt 'em.

riflebuilder
01-20-2009, 07:42 PM
I have seen two ewes hit by cars, that said in both instances the drivers could of avoided the sheep if they had been driving slower an paying better attention. I think the speed limit in the area of the summit should be dropped to 70km/hr for about 4 k each side. Just my opinion.

boxhitch
01-21-2009, 06:32 AM
The sheep are a headache to some people, who are vocal.Management suggestions have been made.
The feeding program in the Ashnola was in question at one time, also. Not sure how that worked out.
Some believe that we shouldn't interfere, leave the sheep to find a natural balance.

one-shot-wonder
01-21-2009, 09:21 AM
.In all my years of living in the East Kootenays and commuting lots to the West, I have never witnessed a vehicle killed sheep....

I met a lady from Lumby while hunting this fall, she told me an interesting story of how a couple years ago she unfortunately had a run in with these sheep up close and personal. IIRC she took out 2 or 3 big mature rams, cheese grader style, dragged them down the highway for a ways and totalled the front end of her pickup.

Such a shame......:(

Stone Sheep Steve
01-21-2009, 10:28 AM
One good thing about the feeders is that when a cat shows up near the feeders to take advantage of the sheep, it's taken out pronto.

Scatter them about on a hill side and a cat can pick them off one-by-one and no one would know any different.

SSS

reddog888
01-21-2009, 10:36 AM
where does the WSSBC stand on these issues?

one-shot-wonder
01-21-2009, 01:26 PM
One good thing about the feeders is that when a cat shows up near the feeders to take advantage of the sheep, it's taken out pronto.

Scatter them about on a hill side and a cat can pick them off one-by-one and no one would know any different.

SSS

The issue here is about feeding the sheep, not predator control.

I agree the feeding stations make feeding for the sheep easier and more concentrated but it also makes feeding for Cats easier and more concentrated. To further help out this herd, predator control needs to take place whether it is right from the highway or it is up the mountain.

I think we should relocate the feeding station to a more suitable area, where we can reduce the vehicle collisions mortality.Regardless of this herds wintering location they will always be susceptible to poaching. Until the Gov starts coming down harder on these criminals we will always deal with the issue!

GoatGuy
01-21-2009, 01:57 PM
What is the answer ?

Think big and long term!

1) Light a big, big, big fire and create some habitat in that country - carry it all the way to the Alberta border
2) Cull (some preds and some people) do us all a favour including the caribou
3) Get some $$$ for over passes right now.

If you don't find a fix now in 20 or 30 years that highway will probably be 4-laned and you can kiss those sheep goodbye.

Just ask 6616

boxhitch
01-21-2009, 07:13 PM
where does the WSSBC stand on these issues?They are seeking input from sportsman and officials, to form an educated opinion.
The WSS does not have a Policy on feeding wildlife.