PDA

View Full Version : Alarm Systems in the Bush

Byson
10-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Ok I use Squirrel's as alarm Systems in the bush, everytime you walk close to one it make noise, my partner says BS pays no attention to this at all. if I hear Squirrels Talking I sit and listen and watch that direction this works for me Just currious if you guys use this little handy tool

ape
10-19-2005, 04:15 PM
100% allthe time.

bushape
10-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Ditto, but the buggers give u away too!

NEEHAMA
10-19-2005, 04:49 PM
i've emptied the clip on a few myself.

Steeleco
10-19-2005, 04:53 PM
I find they bust me more than they help me but I suppose you could use them as a hint that something is near by and bugging them, likely another squirrel but you never know. I use the Ravens as a sign that there's a kill nearby, you never know who they're for to leave.!!

john g
10-19-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm not sure how much help (or hindrance) they represent. On the weekend I spent the better part of an hour watching 7 does in a slash feeding between 25 and 80 yards away. After about 40 minutes a squirrel in a nearby tree decided that I was persona non grata and started raising a fuss. Not one of the deer paid any mind whatsoever to his racket, not even a glance in our direction. Go figure.

sealevel
10-19-2005, 05:12 PM
When i`am in a stand or watching a cut block they tell me whem somethings coming. I put a stock on a deer took me an hour to crawl up and along a ridge cause i could hear a big deer walking just to find a squirell cutting cones it was the cones hitting the ground that i herd.

rollingrock
10-19-2005, 06:35 PM
I found they're quite annoying sometimes. They might be warning other critters of your existence as well. I was once stalking in woods really slow and careful, but the little bugger was just following me all the way and making noise non-stop. I ended up blasting that little bugger away with my riflebefore I headed back to my vehicle!:mad:

tmarschall
10-19-2005, 08:18 PM
This is for all you hunters who have ever cursed a squirrel. We were out at mid day doing some hunting, stopping now and then to rattle some antlers. The dirt road running along the hillside provided some excellent cover on the downhill side. We split up where we could maintain sight of each other and cover the most road as it curved around the hillside. My buddy was doing the rattling. I laid flat on the ground on the downhill side of the road and made like a huge rock. It wasn't long before I heard leaves rustling on the thickly wooded hillside above. My rifle was already pointed in the direction of the noise... then here he came.... the SQUIRREL!! I'm not sure if he was curious about the rattling antlers 30 yds down the road, but he came across the road straight for me, apparently unaware of my presence. When he was 2 feet in front of my face I sprang up and hissed at him like a bobcat. He jumped straight up about 3 feet off the ground. While suspended in the air, his legs and tail momentarily separated from his body(just like you seen in the cartoons). When he contacted the ground again, his feet were moving so fast that he just burned rubber for a few seconds untill he got some traction. Dirt, leaves, rocks and twigs were flying as he managed a hasty retreat. Then came the terrible racket that ended the afternoon's hunt. It was me rolling on the ground laughing so hard I was ready to bust a gut. My buddy rattling the antlers must have thought I was having convulsions or had just gone plum loco!! When I regained enough composure to relate the story to him, I just couldn't find the words. It was one of those... "you just had to be there" kind of situations. Walking back to camp I felt a great sense of accomplishmnet. In that one moment, by scaring the bejoobies out of that squirrel, I felt as if I had avenged all the hunters (since the cave men walked the earth) who had ever been annoyed by the pesky critters!!!!!

rock
10-19-2005, 08:49 PM
There one of my secret methods of helping me detect game before it knows were I am.
I learned the different vocals those little pest do to help me figure out if I should watch or just ignore.
definate advantage for me especially in a tree stand.

i6s1
11-10-2005, 10:02 PM
On the same note: CROWS!

Sept long weekend, I was going for a stroll in the woods, with the 30-30. A crow was circling ahead of me a bit and making all sorts of noise. I stood and watched and listened. I started hearing snorting and crashing coming towards me. I pulled back the hammer and waited. Turned out to be a doe, but lesson learned.

huntersdad
11-11-2005, 05:37 AM
I hate bush rats

ratherbefishin
11-11-2005, 07:20 AM
yup-use your eyes-and ears-when we were driving on a logging road near where a moose had been gutted-I told my son there was a bear there-because the eagles and ravens were sitting in the tree-if the bear wasn't there, they would have been down feeding.Stuff like this can save your life

Ronforca
11-11-2005, 10:14 AM
I use the squirrels to warn me of things in the bush be it other hunters or game.Had a strange thing happen to me this year.We were heading back to camp on the quad when my wife spotted three Deer ia a field.As there was a large mound that would get us quite close to the Deer we started the stalk.Just as we got to the mound a Hawk started circling overhead making the most God awful commotion.When we poked our heads up to
check up on the Deer they were heading out in a hurry.Now there was no wind and the Deer could not see us.I think that the Hawk either scared them away or warned them somehow.First for me in a lot of years of hunting.Anyone else ever have this happer?

Brambles
11-11-2005, 10:41 AM
I don't put much faith in squirrls, they actually piss me off more than they help. The only thing that saves them is the fact that I won't waste hunting ammo on one and I don't carry a 22 while hunting away from the truck.
On many occasion I have been tempted to vaporize one with my magnum

rrfred
11-11-2005, 11:21 AM
ahhhh.. those cute little squirrels.... , leave them alone,, they are an equal opportunity alarm system, nice part of the whole scene; and they bust me a lot ...but also help me too ... cheers:)

eagleye
11-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Second largest Bull Moose I ever took [51"] was betrayed by a squirrel. We had hunted hard for two days without seeing a legal moose. The weather was a bit on the mild side, and no snow, just rustling leaves on the ground. I was walking slowly up a trail, trying to be quiet, when ole bushytail starts making a real racket up the top of the rise ahead about 200 meters. I knew he wasn't on to me, since I had a breeze in my favor, so I slowed right down and slowly crept up the trail. There was old Swampdonkey, 75 yards off the trail, with a cow. Made short work of him with my 30-06. Thanks you squirrel!!! They annoy me at times, but they have given away about 8 animals for me in the past 45 years, and I cannot complain about that. Regards, Eagleye.

Byson
11-12-2005, 04:51 PM
Swampdonkey.I'm sorry but I laugh my ass off when I hear the term Swampdonkey's

huntwriter
11-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Squirrels see deer as direct compeditors for food and always will cuss them out. Which is good for me. But I also listen to other animal sounds such as upset birds. Every sound you hear in the woods tells you something.

Of course as someone said before and it happen to me once or twice. The deer stands in my shooting lane. Slowly the string comes back to my ancor point and..... "Kagagaaaa,Kagagaaaa" the dam squirrle which I have not seen above me tells the deer "Get the hell out of here he is pulling the string on you."

Squirrles work both ways.