PDA

View Full Version : RIP Mr. Mountain Sheep

RMG
01-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Such A Shame

According to the news on the radio this evening, yet another one of our sheep at the Salmo feeding station has succumbed to an early demise. This one, at the hands of POACHER or POACHERS. He was found this morning, dead, at the side of the hiway, near the feeding station, with an arrow still in his back.

Not sure which of these Rams it was. I was there only a week ago, these were the only rams of decent size there.

Of course there are no leads, however someone must know something.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh74/RMGoat/DSC00097-1.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh74/RMGoat/DSC00098-1.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh74/RMGoat/DSC00087-1.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh74/RMGoat/DSC00083-1-1.jpg

Rest In Peace

Rattler
01-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Lets hope someone knows something and that the SOB is caught.

What a waste!

6 K
01-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Can I be the guy to sick an arrow in his guts when he\she is found? Please please.

Dirty
01-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Was it an arrow or a crossbow bolt?

mark
01-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Very Very sad, I hope the locals find out who the dirt bag is, and beat him within an inch of life or worse!

35 Whelen
01-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Wondering if the same idiot that killed that huge ram years back is back in town. Hope someone kept the arrow, and preserves it as evidence....have it printed, arrows have great surfaces for the retention of prints. Did the C/O's get called. I sure hope the poacher goes to jail this time........:mad::mad::mad:

stickbow
01-19-2009, 09:47 PM
Scum Bag poachers:mad:

Will
01-19-2009, 09:51 PM
These Poaching Losers......will inevitably bring us ALL down with them. :(

tomahawk
01-19-2009, 10:00 PM
These Poaching Losers......will inevitably bring us ALL down with them. :(

They do have a negative impact on our opportunities, hopefully they can put an end to this guys poaching days.

Brambles
01-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Yes the CO's were called, they had the animal lifesize caped by a local.
It was an RCMP officer that came across it first so hopefully they took the matter seriously and preserved as much evidence as possible.

This whole thing absolutly sickens me, I don't have the words to explain what I'd do if I personally found this piece of shit that poached this ram. I actually hope I never run into him because If I did I'd probably loose my job and go to jail for a fairly long time.

If anyone knows anything about this or hears anything please PM me or get in contact with the Castlegar/Nelson/Trail Conservation officers.

This shit has gotta stop happening to these rams.

bighornbob
01-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Yes the CO's were called, they had the animal lifesize caped by a local.
It was an RCMP officer that came across it first so hopefully they took the matter seriously and preserved as much evidence as possible.

This whole thing absolutly sickens me, I don't have the words to explain what I'd do if I personally found this piece of shit that poached this ram. I actually hope I never run into him because If I did I'd probably loose my job and go to jail for a fairly long time.

If anyone knows anything about this or hears anything please PM me or get in contact with the Castlegar/Nelson/Trail Conservation officers.

This shit has gotta stop happening to these rams.

I take it that it was just shot and left if it was caped lifesize by a taxidermist. If so he must have been scared off before he could take the horns.

BHB

Brambles
01-19-2009, 10:50 PM
I take it that it was just shot and left if it was caped lifesize by a taxidermist. If so he must have been scared off before he could take the horns.

BHB

The word on the street is the ram ran away and died after they left.

kootenayelkslayer
01-19-2009, 10:56 PM
I'd stick a mechanical broadhead up that poachers ass if I ever found him!

ElkMasterC
01-19-2009, 11:11 PM
I'd make him go to a PeTa Convention with a fur coat glued to his Body, a Spotted Owl Hat, and baby Seal Slippers stapled to his extremities.
Oh, and a T-shirt with a pic of a baby polar bear that says "it's what's for dinner"

BCRiverBoater
01-19-2009, 11:39 PM
What is it with Salmo and poaching? I know it is easy as they are all fed and may be the easiest area to find rams. But if the feeding stations are getting poached? Then time to ask for help to monitor them some how. Poaching there should be as hard as poaching in Jasper/Banff.

Find these *******s and skin them alive.

Brambles
01-19-2009, 11:47 PM
What is it with Salmo and poaching? I know it is easy as they are all fed and may be the easiest area to find rams. But if the feeding stations are getting poached? Then time to ask for help to monitor them some how. Poaching there should be as hard as poaching in Jasper/Banff.

Find these *******s and skin them alive.

Last time a ram was poached it was a Native hunter claiming it was his right to shoot the ram. The Kutenai indian band disagree'd as did the CO's and I believe he was fined heavily.

Can't help but wonder if this is a similar scenario

wolverine
01-20-2009, 12:00 AM
Whom ever is responsible should be shot and pissed on!

reddog888
01-20-2009, 01:09 AM
wow, how do people do these things? And for what!!! I grew up with those sheep and spent a lot of cold days in the winter watching them. Really sad.

hunter1947
01-20-2009, 06:05 AM
I sure hope they catch the scums or scum who did that tragic pouching http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif ,,this is what really gives up the true haunter's a very bad name.

The person or people that did this will get caught and dealt with and when the person or they get caught I hope the person or they never can hunt again for the rest of there days on this earth.

very Very sad news http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif.

bridger
01-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Whom ever is responsible should be shot and pissed on!

and left to rot in the sun!

d6dan
01-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Last time a ram was poached it was a Native hunter claiming it was his right to shoot the ram. The Kutenai indian band disagree'd as did the CO's and I believe he was fined heavily.

Can't help but wonder if this is a similar scenario

You bettcha it was a native Brambles. I have a framed photo of that sheep. It was taken by a friend of mine about one week before the ram was poached. Apparently he worked at one of the coal mines and went up to the feeders and shot him with a bow then went home and bragged about it. He claimed sustenance hunting was his native right. He went to court and lost big time.! Should have been jailed.!!! Dan

rocksteady
01-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Damned shameful waste !!!!!

Hope the "shooter" has many, many sleepless nights (trying to be discreet here before I totally blow a fuse)

Ride
01-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Damn shame. Hopefully they will catch those responsible.

Brizz
01-20-2009, 01:41 PM
seriously....why?!?

rocksteady
01-20-2009, 01:45 PM
seriously....why?!?
Cause it was there and he/she thought they could get away with it....

Not like any taxidermist in the whole province would not say "No F*&^ing way......I ain't touching that..."

Probably 10 000 photos of this bad bay that could be sent to MOE as evidence to confirm if this ram was at a taxidermists or not.....

goatdancer
01-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Just another example of human stupidity. What a shameful waste of an animal. These kinds live amongst us, could even be somebody's neighbour, freind, or relative. Pity the courts don't take such offences as seriously as they should. Could be time for a 'healing circle' of HBC members.

Canuck2
01-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Oh no, not again. I do remember the 1993 poaching and had taken numerous photos of the ram a year earlier.

I thought I had saved more information at the time, but this is all I can find at the moment. Note the bottom of first column and top of second - the poacher had only recently received his native status. As I recollect, he did so via marriage. POS, regardless.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/Canuck2/IMGP3872.jpg

If this shows up on its side, I'm not sure why. It's vertical in photobucket.

Gateholio
01-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Am I missing something here or is there a second thread on this topic somewhere that I am not seeing???
The reason I ask is.....I could have swore I posted a response to this earlier today and I don't see my post.....so where exactly did it go??

A number of posts were deleted because they carried quotes from a deleted post.

Vader
02-08-2009, 11:51 PM
This was forwarded to me... Sposed to be the one arrowed at the feed station.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f35/imvader2/IMG_0055.jpg

The story line with the attachment is some off duty VANCITY cop was driving by just after it happened.. but you know how these things grow wings and the story changes..

35 Whelen
02-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Looking at that photo makes me think that ram died right beside the highway. Look how the snow at the front edge of the photo is all sandy and lumped up like a plow had placed it there, as well as the melt patterns in the snow.

Wondering if maybe there was a better way of feeding the sheep in a far more remote location " Away from such easy highway access"

I know the sheep rely on that feed station, but aren't we just inviting the slob poachers much to easy access to poach such treasures??

02-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Flipping sick who ever is responsible, throw the book at them.
Must have been a real challenge eh? I hope they are real proud of themselves, powers to be will probably treat it some thing like our gang problems of modern time. In other words, next to nothing for the culprit.
CT

brad ferris
02-09-2009, 10:49 PM
i just heard about this tonight at our r&g club meeting.theres a reward offered for info leading to arrest and conviction.our club kicked in a little extra as well.not that anyone on here needs an incentive to turn this person in.but if word gets out to the general public maybe someone will come forward to help catch this piece of garbage.

Slee
02-10-2009, 10:11 AM
There was a story of the poaching in the Trail Times last week with the reward amounts from the different clubs.....

Vader
02-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Little update. Reported had 16 and 16.5 bases. 37 on one side and 36.5 on the other. Roughly. Was full caped for a full size mount.. which will be on display.. at some point. Another article in this weeks paper.

twofifty
02-11-2009, 09:07 PM
The antis are going to run with this, and we need to get ahead of the story which is a poaching not a hunting story.

I suggest the BCWF hold a press conference to get out the message that poaching is a criminal act repulsive to hunters, and that hunters through our respective R&G clubs have voted reward money toward the capture and conviction of this criminal.

I see from Brad's post that the oldest Rod&Gun club in the Province has kicked in some money. What other clubs have pitched in?

Brambles
02-11-2009, 10:18 PM
I was told it scored around 174

bayou
02-11-2009, 11:18 PM
The antis are going to run with this, and we need to get ahead of the story which is a poaching not a hunting story.

I suggest the BCWF hold a press conference to get out the message that poaching is a criminal act repulsive to hunters, and that hunters through our respective R&G clubs have voted reward money toward the capture and conviction of this criminal.

I see from Brad's post that the oldest Rod&Gun club in the Province has kicked in some money. What other clubs have pitched in?

Yes this is a blantant act of poaching and good to see some concern over it. I think people should be concerned with all poaching though.
I find it weird that some that have replied to this thread are mad about this sheep being poached but are all right with illegal shooting (poaching)of wolves,and some with mountain goats as well.
Why is one animal put on a higher pedistal then another.

Brambles
02-12-2009, 01:57 AM
cause it was shot out of a feeding station, you can walk right up to the rams. Not that poachers have anything resembling morals but it takes a REAL piece of shit to do it that way IMO.

SteadyGirl
02-12-2009, 07:13 AM
If that crap doesn't stop sheep hunting will be changed for all of us forever/ NO SPECIES CAN HANDLE SPECIFIC SIZE BASED SELECTION for any length of time! Sheep have it bad.

budismyhorse
02-12-2009, 09:54 AM
.... NO SPECIES CAN HANDLE SPECIFIC SIZE BASED SELECTION for any length of time!

Are you referring GOS sheep hunting? because this is a thread about poaching.

anyways, I hope this guy gets caught....its hard to believe that greed could get someone to do something so stupid.

J_T
02-12-2009, 10:01 AM

I see from Brad's post that the oldest Rod&Gun club in the Province has kicked in some money. What other clubs have pitched in? Just to answer your question on what has been offered up as a reward.

$2,000 BCWF Wilderness Watch
$1,000 Nelson Rod & Gun
$200 Fernie Rod & Gun
$500 United Bowhunters of BC
$500 BC Archery Association

$4,200 total

Slee
02-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Just to answer your question on what has been offered up as a reward.

$2,000 BCWF Wilderness Watch
$1,000 Nelson Rod & Gun
$200 Fernie Rod & Gun
$500 United Bowhunters of BC
$500 BC Archery Association

$4,200 total

Where is the WSSBC contribution :confused:

Ride
02-12-2009, 11:41 AM
TWF's not putting anything in the pot?

SteadyGirl
02-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Are you referring GOS sheep hunting? because this is a thread about poaching.

anyways, I hope this guy gets caught....its hard to believe that greed could get someone to do something so stupid.

There is a relationship between sheep poaching and the current sheep hunting regulations. There are people out there so obsessed with sheep hunting or just having a sheep they will do anything.. It is such a status symbol,.. in part IN PART because of the regulations. I wonder if poaching would be reduced if there were LEH's given for any ram or sheep in different areas.

SteadyGirl
02-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Why can't arrows have registration numbers? It would be so simple to do!

Then when people find arrow shot game that is wounded or dead out of season or without tags somebody can be accountable.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-12-2009, 05:27 PM

Then when people find arrow shot game that is wounded or dead out of season or without tags somebody can be accountable.

As soon as you put your name on all of your bullets:p.

What'd the guy use at the Green hills mine?? A handgun??
Idiot poachers are just that..... idiots.
Where there's a will there's a way.

SSS

frenchbar
02-12-2009, 05:30 PM
There is a relationship between sheep poaching and the current sheep hunting regulations. There are people out there so obsessed with sheep hunting or just having a sheep they will do anything.. It is such a status symbol,.. in part IN PART because of the regulations. I wonder if poaching would be reduced if there were LEH's given for any ram or sheep in different areas.Gotta kinda agree to some extent on that people are obsessed and the status symbol plays a role,kinda like the people that cant hold off on shooting the borderline rams,but do anyways and latter find out its undersized but dont worry to much about the consequences.Just to have a head on their wall.jmo

J_T
02-12-2009, 05:31 PM

Then when people find arrow shot game that is wounded or dead out of season or without tags somebody can be accountable.Sounds a bit like a gun registry. If I was going to pull a criminal act... would I put my registration number on my arrow? Or yours? Only law abiding hunters would comply.

SteadyGirl
02-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Fine then:shock:

bayou
02-12-2009, 06:58 PM

I to think this is a good idea. I may be wrong but I think it was done in alberta not sure if its still in effect. Guns are used in poaching also but the bow and arrow are more silent of course. There has been lots of animals killed with them in no hunting areas, closed areas, outa season etc and arrows have been found if they had to have hunter # on them it could help in finding the person.

Riggzers
02-12-2009, 07:18 PM
If I was a poacher I would probably write someone else hunter # on the shaft and there you have it. The CO service would be chasing more ghosts then they are now Im for setting stations further out but in place were acessed is one road in and out so that vehicle travelling can be patterned easy and gate the road if necisary at times of high sheep concentration mainly large rams My fifty cents worth good luck on getting this guy hope the reward works

Stone Sheep Steve
02-12-2009, 07:18 PM
I to think this is a good idea. I may be wrong but I think it was done in alberta not sure if its still in effect. Guns are used in poaching also but the bow and arrow are more silent of course. There has been lots of animals killed with them in no hunting areas, closed areas, outa season etc and arrows have been found if they had to have hunter # on them it could help in finding the person.

Do criminals use registered guns for gun crimes??

DDD

bayou
02-12-2009, 07:59 PM
If I was a poacher I would probably write someone else hunter # on the shaft and there you have it. The CO service would be chasing more ghosts then they are now Im for setting stations further out but in place were acessed is one road in and out so that vehicle travelling can be patterned easy and gate the road if necisary at times of high sheep concentration mainly large rams My fifty cents worth good luck on getting this guy hope the reward works

Its just another way to help stop this, if a person was stopped and had anothers# or no # on the arrow it would be a charge as well.
Getting rid of the feeding station all together would also help although the sheep are probably allready habituated to being there.

Brambles
02-12-2009, 08:01 PM
I think everyone needs to think real carefully about registering arrows and bullets. Barrack Obama is trying to do that very thing right now in the USA. Every box of ammo will have all its bullets encoded with its own serial number and that number is registered to you at the time of purchase.

Just another thing to try and deter people from owning firearms, punishing the many to try and catch the few.

Criminals will get guns and ammo, crossbows and bolts etc. Laws like these only open Black Markets and make life harder for law abiding citizens.

I seriously doubt this Poacher was an avid sheep hunter who just gave into greed and decided to take the fine trophy the easy way. This guy or gal was probably a low life career criminal who probably drove by those rams countless times trying to find a way to get away with killing one just to see if he/she could.

People like this tend to brag, one day he/she will and the authorities will find out.

Brambles
02-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Its just another way to help stop this, if a person was stopped and had anothers# or no # on the arrow it would be a charge as well.
Getting rid of the feeding station all together would also help although the sheep are probably allready habituated to being there.

The feeding station is there because the sheep are there, not vice versa. No one sent the sheep a memo telling them of the feeding station. That is sheep winter range since they were transplanted.

The feeder is to help the sheep and keep them off the hwy as much as possible.
Same thing in Radium, that is sheep winter range and the sheep are all over the hwy.
The feeding station isn't the route of the evil here, its individual morals of the guilty sheep poaching scum

twofifty
02-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Who doesn't lose an arrow now and then? Poachers could use other's lost arrows, found at archery ranges.

Could feeding stations have hidden cameras set up high in adjoining trees?

500grhollowpoint
02-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Well I just read the last page here and this is the stipidest thing I have ever heard of. And not the funny stupid like you would forward to your friends. The stupid stupid. And I have the internet. It's full of stupid things.

bayou
02-12-2009, 08:56 PM
The feeding station is there because the sheep are there, not vice versa. No one sent the sheep a memo telling them of the feeding station. That is sheep winter range since they were transplanted.

The feeder is to help the sheep and keep them off the hwy as much as possible.
Same thing in Radium, that is sheep winter range and the sheep are all over the hwy.
The feeding station isn't the route of the evil here, its individual morals of the guilty sheep poaching scum

Yes but is it necesarry to even have it there any more?
The radium herd use to spread it self over various areas but now the majority seem to head to town(mainly since the construction of the golf courses) they have been trying to inhance some of the old tradional areas and some new ones but so far does not seem to be working.

crazysheephunter
02-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Sick aint the word,this is B.S. I remember years ago when the same thing happened,the idiot got caught,cause of his big mouth,and just recently in the Elk Valley were a worl class Ram was taken off one of the mine sites by an employee,smae thing caught because he was an idiot also,with any luck the person or persons responsible will slip up and get what they deserve,hopefully the feds and such will not look to kindy on these acts anymore.

RiverOtter
02-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Shame about the ram getting poached and I hope the guilty party is caught and given a sentence that sets a precident.

As a side, it never ceases to amaze me the number of people who want to further burden the law abiding hunters/recreationalists with stupid laws in hopes of deterring criminals.

News Flash: They're criminals, they break laws. More laws don't fix that.....

Brambles
02-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Yes but is it necesarry to even have it there any more?
The radium herd use to spread it self over various areas but now the majority seem to head to town(mainly since the construction of the golf courses) they have been trying to inhance some of the old tradional areas and some new ones but so far does not seem to be working.

If you read the winter range studies on the Radium herd, one of the major reasons the sheeps winter range is shrunk closer to radium is because of the lack of forest fires creating grasslands. The underbrush is becoming to thick for the sheeps liking. The town has the grassland that they were once accustom to so of course they are going to use it. They have been doing perscribed burns in radium to try and rejuvenate the grasslands and expand the herds winter range. The preliminary studies shows that the burning is helping and the herd is once again spreading itself out, but its going to take time.

The Salmo rams don't have a lot of grassland, they have to resort to feeding alongside the highways. The feeding station keeps the herd off the highway as much as possible. Everyone who routinely drives that hwy is aware that the sheep are concentrated in that area and should slow down. Personally the only time I see the sheep actually ON the hwy is during the rut.

Perhaps a perscribed burns higher up on the hillside would create some natural habitat and feeding opportunities. That would be a better solution then just stopping the feeding all together.

bayou
02-12-2009, 10:24 PM
If you read the winter range studies on the Radium herd, one of the major reasons the sheeps winter range is shrunk closer to radium is because of the lack of forest fires creating grasslands. The underbrush is becoming to thick for the sheeps liking. The town has the grassland that they were once accustom to so of course they are going to use it. They have been doing perscribed burns in radium to try and rejuvenate the grasslands and expand the herds winter range. The preliminary studies shows that the burning is helping and the herd is once again spreading itself out, but its going to take time.

The Salmo rams don't have a lot of grassland, they have to resort to feeding alongside the highways. The feeding station keeps the herd off the highway as much as possible. Everyone who routinely drives that hwy is aware that the sheep are concentrated in that area and should slow down. Personally the only time I see the sheep actually ON the hwy is during the rut.

Perhaps a perscribed burns higher up on the hillside would create some natural habitat and feeding opportunities. That would be a better solution then just stopping the feeding all together.

yes they have done some burns and thinning around the town but only some thinning in some of the tradional winter ranges maybe to much being done around the town to try and keep them there as a tourist draw.
But better then some of there suggestions a reduced speed limit has been discused as well which may help.
Havent travelled the salmo route latly but used to see them regularly and did photo the other poached ram a bit.
Burning that side hill would help, maybe if they must feed them then they should move the station further away like someone else said,get them as far from the road as possible. I would think the salt draws them to the road though as happens on the radium hill.

palmer
06-07-2009, 10:51 AM
any updates on this story ?