PDA

View Full Version : strategy (suggestions needed)

BigfishCanada
10-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Strategy ( suggestions please)
Guys, Nov1 my hunting buddies and I are heading to our usual moose hunt in region 3. Last year we found a great deer and moose spot. My question is this: There will be 6 ATV's, and its one road up to our secret spot. On the way up and down we ALWAYS (Well at least last year) See deer in the first clearing. Its around a mile before our area of moose.

This is what I was thinking, Due to not wanting to hang around 5 other quads, I was thinking of building a tree stand and bringing an aluminum latter with me, and in this area where I have seen nice bucks in the past ( tons of does) Lean the ladder up against a tree with a view, screw in a nice comfy seat, and spend my time up the tree. Last year I saw a 5X5 in this spot, but due to us only passing threw this area to get to our moose spot, we never got anything there.

Up at the moose spot there area also bucks, we got a 4x4 last year, but again due to the amount of people and the deer i saw in this spot last year I figure its best for me to go with this tree stand idea?

Iw as thinking of rattling and the odd blee call from this stand as well. Also due to it being Nov 1 maybe the deer will be moving threw this spot all day?

What do you think? Would you do what I am thinking? I guess if I dont see anything first day I can joing the rest up further after the moose. By the way, we were lucky this year, we have TWO (2) Cow calf tags and ONE (1) Mullie doe tag for this area. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!!!

ape
10-19-2005, 09:47 AM
I would do the same only no stand but that is because I don't have one. Sounds like a great spot and a couple days sitting and watching can't hurt any. Good luck.

fozzy
10-19-2005, 10:31 AM
I have never hunted from a tree stand but I might shy away from a shiny alluminum ladder and use screw in steps.

Other than that, yup I'd be hunting far away from any crowds especially away from quads.

Gus
10-19-2005, 10:43 AM
Sounds like a good plan now, but to my experience, plans never seem to stay they way they were "planned". Animals always seem to be doing something different. I'd try it, but stay versatile and ready to adapt for the animals. I agree with Fozzy. Keep away from quads action.

DeerSniper
10-19-2005, 02:36 PM
I'd personally carry a grunt call, if not only to stop a buck in his tracks before shooting. As for rattling, I think it's a good idea, however keep it light as most bucks would only be sparring and not into full tilt battle. I'd also suggest a smaller set of antlers for rattling (2 or small 3 points). I've actually seen one of my buddies scare off a big buck by rattling his rather large set of 4 x 4 antlers. Other than that, just stick to the basics. Wind in your face, sun at your back, etc, etc, etc, and you should do fine. Also, takes Gus' advice and stay versitile. We can plan and plan until we're absolutely sure of success, only to find the deer have gone and changed their routine. Those are the times that the true hunter inside all of us comes out to play!!!:razz:

Good Luck and straight shootin'

ruger#1
10-19-2005, 03:01 PM
i would do the same but without the ladder i would also use a good cover sent. i have called in deer in region 3 in the second week of october. by rattling antlers and deer bleat combined. i have also had blacktail bucks come and check out what the bleating sound is. use a good scent waffer or gel doe in heat or buck rutting cover scent.i can get you some skunk scent. keep your eyes open and spot them before they spot you.

Fred
10-19-2005, 03:42 PM
From "Murphy's Laws of Combat Operations", "The best battle plan in the world goes out the window when the first shot is fired"!

I have been looking hard at Tree Stands and just started playing with calls and scents. To me with my tired old legs they look like a very viable option. You know, you could always throw a quick coat of paint onto the ladder to dull it out. Fred