PDA

View Full Version : Deer/Moose/Elk rubs...

evonkrogh
01-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi all,

I've come across trees with disturbed bark on many occasions, and usually attribute it to antler rubbing by ungulates. However, some "rubs" are located in tight locations, or areas that one might suspect a deer could not access (behind a rock, within a cluster of trunks or branches, etc.) Other "rubs" look more like something has chewed the bark off.

Can anyone tell me what is shown in the attached photo (also uploaded here in larger size: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12448&cat=500&ppuser=7751)?

It appears as though there are teeth marks at the bottom of the disturbed area, and the top appears torn, leading me to think it's from an animal chewing the bark off rather than a rub. There is a scratch in the bark on the left side of the tree with frayed bark - is this a rub?

The photo is taken at a height of about 5-6 feet off the ground in an area north of Fort St John (lots of moose sign noted) in early to mid-October...

Thanks!

Leaseman
01-19-2009, 12:49 PM
porcupine like to do that in the winter months.......

bighornbob
01-19-2009, 01:09 PM
I would also say a porcupine. Look for marks that look like teeth marks (almost like what a beaver leaves).

I have also seen where black bears pull the bark off of pine trees to eat the inner bark. These are lower to the ground and no real teeth marks.

BHB

BCrams
01-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Based on the photo.......moose in winter.

Height depends on the amount of snow. Teeth marks typically are more dominant in the lower half and gradually fading as it goes to the top (replaced by the tell tale stripping as they pull back. This is highlighted with that strip on the left when the bark was pulled off.

Sitkaspruce
01-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Based on the photo.......moose in winter.

Height depends on the amount of snow. Teeth marks typically are more dominant in the lower half and gradually fading as it goes to the top (replaced by the tell tale stripping as they pull back. This is highlighted with that strip on the left when the bark was pulled off.

Yup...moose in winter.

Go to an aspen stand after the winter and you will see lots of this. Moose rely on the bark if things are tough. Seen whole stands stripped of bark during the winter of 06/07.

SS

d6dan
01-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Yep, definately moose. Around Chetwynd I've seen the elk do the same thing litteraly stripping the bark off. Dan

elkdom
01-19-2009, 03:52 PM
I have 3 pictures posted in my"gallery pics", all associated with elk bull rubs during the rut, all have my rifle beside the tree , the rifle is 49 inches OAL, that gives you an idea how large some elk rubs can be, the "pine pitch tree" has been used for at least 11 years that I am aware of by large bull elk :o the other two rub trees are seasonal, but there are many rubs from previous years in the vicinity, they keep coming back every year for the rut, duh 8)

evonkrogh
01-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Thank guys!
Elkdom, thanks for the photos to reference.

Is this correct then:

Rubs: characterized by shredded filaments of bark at antler height
Stripped Bark: clean edges, especially at the base (scraped with lower incisors) and tear marks at the top

Porcupine sign is generally at the base of a tree, or near branches? (They use their claws to scrape the bark, so cannot produce sign on the midpoint of the trunk without a foothold)

elkdom
01-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Thank guys!
Elkdom, thanks for the photos to reference.

Is this correct then:

Rubs: characterized by shredded filaments of bark at antler height
Stripped Bark: clean edges, especially at the base (scraped with lower incisors) and tear marks at the top

Porcupine sign is generally at the base of a tree, or near branches? (They use their claws to scrape the bark, so cannot produce sign on the midpoint of the trunk without a foothold)

:smile: you pretty much got it, but porcupine will chew trees during winter, snow depth can affect the height location of chew marks, also deer, moose commonly chew bark off poplar trees, those marks tend to have a kind of chiseled look , also you find trees where male deer, moose and elk have just given a few strokes, maybe just in passing, also bears marking trees can be from 3 ft to???, those tend to be mostly vertical and have slash angle effects also,,,

hotload
01-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Odd looking slash marks on that tree vertically would suggest to me that a bear had been doing some fine tuning on it. A closer look at the tree, or around the tree would certainly give away other telltale signs.

hotload
01-19-2009, 06:09 PM
I think if it was done with anything else but claws there would be more gouges across the grain rather than with the grain. To chew something off that deep they would have to grab onto the bark from the side. Just my 2 cents.

hunter1947
01-20-2009, 06:40 AM
Porcupine like to eat the bark at the bottom of the trees ,this bark has been eaten at the 5 foot level.

I would say that the antlers from a bull moose marked this tree with his antlers as he was eating the bark off the tree.