PDA

View Full Version : Moose hunting tips.

duckhunt
01-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Hey all you moose hunters I need early season moose hunting tips because this august me and my dad are planning going up north to do some early season moose hunting since i'm grade 11 next year and can't miss much school, some pics would be nice too. So far all i know is get up high and glass swamp and lake edges. I will be bringing my 300 wsm and 375 H&H, for me there is no such thing as overkill:biggrin:.

Rackmastr
01-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Hey all you moose hunters I need early season moose hunting tips because this august me and my dad are planning going up north to do some early season moose hunting since i'm grade 11 next year and can't miss much school, some pics would be nice too. So far all i know is get up high and glass swamp and lake edges. I will be bringing my 300 wsm and 375 H&H, for me there is no such thing as overkill:biggrin:.

Dont discount looking high as well. Depending on when and where you are hunting, you can and will find big bulls high up on the hills and into the mountains.

Getting high and glassing is the key.....

frenchbar
01-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Dont discount looking high as well. Depending on when and where you are hunting, you can and will find big bulls high up on the hills and into the mountains.

Getting high and glassing is the key.....Just dont get to high ,your liable to shoot a horse by mistake:wink:

30-378-magnum
01-18-2009, 10:16 PM
always look twice when you see a stump moving in a clearcut.dont forget to count tines

frenchbar
01-18-2009, 10:20 PM
They seem to be out in full force in the meadows on the calm mornings,no wind always seems to bring them out .

Rackmastr
01-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Just dont get to high ,your liable to shoot a horse by mistake:wink:

Haha...maybe I worded that wrong...

You darn BC guys always go there eh.....

hunter1947
01-19-2009, 06:34 AM
Moose are where you find them ,they could be anywhere ,look for a black looking color ,they stand out and are easy to spot ,just make sure it is not a grizzly you stalk when spotting this black figure.

Take lots of bug repellent as far a net to put over your head. ,good luck.

Ted
01-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Hunt all day not just the mornings and evenings and when you need a break find a clearing you can glass. Good time to eat your lunch too. Moose are usually within a few km of a water source so keep that in mind. Good luck

CanuckShooter
01-19-2009, 11:57 AM
The moose will bed down in cuts and clearings at night....slip into a cut, watch the wind direction..and pay attention to where the sun is going to rise [so as not in your eyes] pick a vanatage point sit and watch them arise in the mornings.

If you don't see anything....take a long walk along the timberlines, around water sources and look for fresh tracks....fresh tracks=animals...they all leave tracks for the practiced moose hunter. Where you see the most sign [tracks] is where you should concentrate your moose hunting efforts.

Be nice and cordial to other hunters in the area..especially the wise older fellows....perhaps they'll tell you where they passed up that massive old sausage bull they didn't want !!

Respect mother nature..don't litter...clean up your camp...follow the regulations....have fun...all good moose hunter tips.