PDA

View Full Version : MSR Carbon Reflex 2 man tent ??

BlacktailStalker
01-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Anybody use this new tent ?
3lb 4oz, carbon poles, looks pretty sweet!
The 1 man just weighs a couple ounces less, might as well pack that bit of weight and room for those socked in days.

I have to trade up (well not quality, just weight) the north face mountain 25 I packed on my sheep hunt last year (8.5lbs :shock:) and this MSR tent might fit the bill !

Nothing better than looking at sweet new gear in the off season!

I also see on the marmot site that the Lithium bag is good for -15 wheareas the pinnacle (current bag) is to -9... for 2 oz more weight (both are under 3lbs) it might be nice to take off those stinky clothes and be a bit warmer at night and have a better bag for late season...

Not doin too bad, the tent is all I need to switch up.
Sure is nice once you've acquired everything, I think this might be the first year yet where I dont cringe at the thought of what I need err-um want ! :)

Doh! super light HS Precision !? Naaah... Maybe....

One Shot
01-18-2009, 09:37 PM
I looked at that tent two years ago. I went with an Arete ASL 2 tent from REI @ 5.5 pounds. The tent is nylon instead of mesh with top closeable cross vents. I like it as it is a little warmer than the mesh style tents as the wind is not constantly wistleling through.

30-378-magnum
01-18-2009, 09:38 PM
sleeping bags are warmer if you dont wear clothes in them .i dont know why maybe moisture on your clotheshas something to do with it . i am deffinately going to ckeck out the tent though i have a 2 man eureka that is around 8 lbs ...hmmm 4 lbs lighter what else could i fit in my pack now??????

ElectricDyck
01-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Wow that's a light tent. I just bought an msr hubba hubba hp last week and weighed it on my own scale without all the stuff sacs and it was 3lbs 12oz and I thought that was light!

BlacktailStalker
01-18-2009, 10:03 PM
One shot are you sure it was the same one?
It just came out in August of last year it said.
Good point about the nylon though, the screen would be considerably colder.
The search continues!

30-378-magnum
01-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Wow that's a light tent. I just bought an msr hubba hubba hp last week and weighed it on my own scale without all the stuff sacs and it was 3lbs 12oz and I thought that was light!

that is the tent i was looking to replace my eureka 8 pounder but 1/2 pound lighter has me sold

30-378-magnum
01-18-2009, 10:05 PM
cold is no problem i have a -30 bag that weighs 3 lbs

BlacktailStalker
01-18-2009, 11:58 PM
What bag do you have 30-378?

Johnnybear
01-19-2009, 12:30 AM
Andy have you looked into the Kifaru tipi tents.

http://kifaru.net./

Their stuff is top notch. It's a different way of thinking but read some of the reviews and Google them. Lot's of good reviews from indendent sources. Good luck.

One Shot
01-19-2009, 12:35 AM
One shot are you sure it was the same one?
It just came out in August of last year it said.
Good point about the nylon though, the screen would be considerably colder.
The search continues!

It looks very similar to one that I looked at. It may be a replacement to the one I looked at, now I am not sure.

BlacktailStalker
01-19-2009, 12:39 AM
I looked at those JB, I've got their longhunter pack actually.
Their tents look nice.
At 5+lbs (4 man) and no floor, I think a small compact is what fits the bill for bivying.
That little stove sure is slick though !

One Shot
01-19-2009, 12:42 AM
sleeping bags are warmer if you dont wear clothes in them .i dont know why maybe moisture on your clotheshas something to do with it .

You are correct on this. Moisture evaporating off creates a cooling effect. If you get cold put on a pair of wool socks and a cap. If it get colder then put on a poly top. Leave bottoms for last as your crotch produces a lot of moisture. Also having an empty bladder at nite keeps you warmer as it takes energy to keep the fluid warm.

Johnnybear
01-19-2009, 12:51 AM
I looked at those JB, I've got their longhunter pack actually.
Their tents look nice.
At 5+lbs (4 man) and no floor, I think a small compact is what fits the bill for bivying.
That little stove sure is slick though !

They make a very small para tarp thing with the mini stove option as well. Having a floor isn't everything:idea:. Unless your worried about mice:D.

ElectricDyck
01-19-2009, 07:59 AM
One thing I like about the msr tents is you can leave the tent at home, bring the fly and poles only and have an extremely light shelter. It looks like this new tent is pretty much the same design just lighter. I also like the 2 doors and 2 vestibules, I think this will be extremely useful with 2 people.

BlacktailStalker
01-20-2009, 11:07 PM
The hubba hubba HP (4.4lb) looks best so far after more review...
Its double walled (both nylon) and only 4 oz more than the Hubba Bubba single wall tent.
Lotsa time left though :)

Theres a high end tent manufacturer name that slips me that has been mentioned on here before that hasnt come up a lot... if somebody can think of one feel free to name it. Its bugging me.

Krico
01-20-2009, 11:57 PM
Both the Hubba Hubba and Carbon Reflex are double walled. You shave a full pound of weight with the Carbon Reflex with lighter poles and "efficient design." As for square footage, both are listed at 29. Single vestibule for the CR, with footage listed at 14. The HH has 2 doors and 2 vestibules, but only gains 3 square feet of vestibule space.

I'd go with the Carbon Reflex - the 3 square feet of vestibule space is not worth a pound of weight. Most guys carry a waterproof pack cover anyways...

Flinch
01-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Theres a high end tent manufacturer name that slips me that has been mentioned on here before that hasnt come up a lot... if somebody can think of one feel free to name it. Its bugging me.

Hilleberg??

BlacktailStalker
01-21-2009, 10:43 AM
You're right Krico, what I meant by the single was a single wall of Nylon and another of mesh.

Bingo Flinch, thank you!
Did that ram come by way of a Hilleberg lol (jk) ?
Nice ram.

Flinch
01-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Did that ram come by way of a Hilleberg lol (jk) ?
Nice ram.

Thanks and yes we had to sit out some ugly weather (about 22.5 hours worth) confined to the tent before it let up. When it did we got into a group of sheep hunkered in the valley bottom about 700 yards from the tent. Mine is a Nallo 4 GT and the extra big vestibule sure is nice for cooking and keeping all your gear out of ugly weather.

bigwhiteys
01-21-2009, 10:58 AM
3lb 4oz, carbon poles, looks pretty sweet!

It does look like a good tent... My Integral Designs MKIII is a 4 season single wall that weighs in at 5.4 lbs. The vestibule isn't all that great though... Not really enough room for boots and packs.

2lbs shed off my pack weight is definitely an attractive proposition!

Carl

budismyhorse
01-21-2009, 01:40 PM
as far as I can tell, the CR is a great looking tent used primarily for warmer hunts. The mesh upper is nothing new, wind/elements whipping through...that is the difference between the CR and the HP. The HP's inside design is mainly lightweight fabric, not mesh, so it is actually classified as a 3+ season tent. Basically keeps things a little warmer in the tent, but not quite a 4 season.

The best option would be to get the HP (with 2 doors and 2 larger vestibultes, which are handy as heck) and buy the carbon poles for the HP that will put you right around the same weights as the CR with more room, and more insulation......

CR on the top, HP on the bottomhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/CR_vs_HP.jpg

Dirty
01-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Big Agnes is always a popular name that I hear in the tent department. I really don't think there is a perfect tent out there. There is always something that you are going to have to sacrifice. Weight, Vestibule Size, Doors, etc. Find one that meets the most of your needs.