PDA

View Full Version : 250 Pounder

Four Point
10-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Went on a 3-day muley hunt with my wife. On the third morning at first light spotted this guy peeking out of the timber staring down into the draw where there was a dozen does. The does already had me pegged so I couldn't move. Hoping this guy would work his way down the cutblock I held my ground (no choice) and waited them out. Gradually the does eased up and began to feed. Just then the wind shifted and a big doe further up the ridge winded me. She started snorting and wheezing, stomping the ground. I thought for sure the big guy was gone. He just stared at her and gradually started working his way back to the timber. It was now or never. The shot was a long one. I waited for him to hit the first plateau and turn broadside. Sitting on a small burm with elbows tucked in tight, big doe still snorting, I let fly. I held at the top of his ears quarter-way back to his heart and lungs. Nothing. Reload. He took a small step, looked right at me, I took another poke at him. Scope comes down. Nothing. I mean there was nothing there - couldn't see him. Does going in every direction. The snorting doe on the hill was finally quiet. Sat and watched for 10 minutes until the draw was vacated. Shot felt good, wind was minimal. This is where I found him. My wife and I had a long drag. Skinning him found both bullets. Good hunting.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/250_pounder.JPG

BCHunter
10-18-2005, 07:26 PM
thats a big buck! congrats...

lip_ripper00
10-18-2005, 07:27 PM
VERY nice8)

ruger#1
10-18-2005, 07:36 PM
nice monster,he is big, good show.

john g
10-18-2005, 08:02 PM
That is one big deer. Congratulations!

mark
10-18-2005, 08:03 PM
nice heavy buck, was there any sign of rut in him yet, roughly what area or region. was he really 250 on the hook at the butcher fully skinned and trimmed if so thats amazing body mass.

Crimson Viking
10-18-2005, 08:06 PM
Holy!!!!!!!!!! WOW

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

ex bc guide
10-18-2005, 08:09 PM
Congrats on a fine buck
Mike

Four Point
10-18-2005, 08:10 PM
Mark. No Not 250 on the hook. Wouldn't have been able to move 'im. 180 on the hook. Little bit stinky - not bad. Region 8 Coalmont. Go gittem.

ZENYO
10-18-2005, 08:44 PM
That's Huge! Well Done!

Gus
10-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Really nice buck. How far away do you think he was and what do you shoot?

Four Point
10-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Thx Gus Browning A Bolt 30-06 Leupold 3x9x40 Winchester 180 Grain Silvertip.
I figured 450-500 yds away. And of course 1 big horseshoe - gotta be lucky.

Steeleco
10-18-2005, 10:17 PM
First you get good then you get lucky. Nice choise in shooting irons, nicer shot. Great story.

BCHunter
10-18-2005, 10:22 PM
nice rifle! i own one too...my choice in the bush.

Freshtracks
10-18-2005, 11:14 PM
Very nice looking buck Four Point. Looks like it's getting that time.

todbartell
10-19-2005, 12:10 AM
that's a super nice buck, congrats! :mrgreen:

Thunderstix
10-19-2005, 06:56 AM
That is one nice buck indeed! Must have been one tough drag!

Fred
10-19-2005, 08:49 AM
I have seen several and once videoed a monster in the Coalmont/Tulameen corridor. No one believed us until two old timers from down here asked my buddy where to look. He told them and they got a true trophy, much to the chagrin of the local doubters! :mrgreen: Fred

Brambles
10-20-2005, 01:43 PM
Awesome job!!!
I've been planning a trip there all year, I want to close down the season over there and hopefully pull out a good one. Seeing nice bucks like that come out this early gives me hope. I cannot find anyone who wants to take the time off work to go over there so its going to be a solo hunt.

Is it worth bringing my ATV over there? I intend on hiking away from the roads a bit but if its going to be an asset then I will bring it? I have a crew cab dodge diesel 4x4, will I be able to get where I need to go with that or is it ATV country?

Again, good job with your buck and thanks for any advice

Brambles

Four Point
10-20-2005, 07:14 PM
Hey Brambles. Your dodge diesel is more than capable of any roads over there. 9/10s of all hunters road hunt. Your ATV, hopefully a 4x4, actually would be very helpful as long as you don't mind leaving it locked, tarped, something safe, for periods of time. I'm always afraid of leaving the ATV for a day hunt. But for pulling out a deer (since you're hunting solo) would make your job so much easier. You probably already know that. Lot of the area that we covered was a long way from any roads. If we had our Grizz the deer would have been at the truck in 20 minutes but where do you camp (canopy). We like to hunt the top ridges and draws looking down, looking up. The ATV won't help you there, but will get you there and back quicker. Good hunting.

ryanb
10-20-2005, 07:58 PM
That cutblock looks hauntingly familiar to me as does that buck compared to one I had scouted this summer and had a bead on for this fall. Please reassure me and tell me you weren't in region 3.

Brambles
10-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Hey Brambles. Your dodge diesel is more than capable of any roads over there. 9/10s of all hunters road hunt. Your ATV, hopefully a 4x4, actually would be very helpful as long as you don't mind leaving it locked, tarped, something safe, for periods of time. I'm always afraid of leaving the ATV for a day hunt. But for pulling out a deer (since you're hunting solo) would make your job so much easier. You probably already know that. Lot of the area that we covered was a long way from any roads. If we had our Grizz the deer would have been at the truck in 20 minutes but where do you camp (canopy). We like to hunt the top ridges and draws looking down, looking up. The ATV won't help you there, but will get you there and back quicker. Good hunting.

Four point:
Thanks for the advice, How difficult is the ATV riding off of roads, are the cutblocks driveable with an atv if you need to retrieve game. How about being able to navigate through the trees? Most of the area I hunt is either too steep or too thick to get a atv through. Ropes, pulleys and chainsaws
I have already have had one ATV stolen, so I would hate to lose another one. Is atv theft a problem there? It sucks that guys are out hunting and they have to worry about being ripped off.:mad: I should probably headed over and checked out the area before hunting season, but then I wouldn't have as much vacation time for actually hunting.
Did you get a chance to score your buck? What about some more pictures:smile:

Thanks again
Brambles

ryanb
10-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Ah, I see your post now, region 8, whew!:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nice buck!