PDA

View Full Version : Which dog to get??

browningboy
01-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Well, we have a delima in our household, the kids are bugging me for a dog, we don't really want one but if I got one it would be a lab as they are just the best breed IMO but the wife says it cannot shed period, so she is looking at labridoodles etc and I don't like the looks of them as they look like a gay poodle.
What I'm asking for is a dog that is non-shedding, great with kids and can be a gun dog, the gun dog thing really isn't as important as being good with kids, it just has to be part of the family so to speak, what breeds would one suggest?

We want one that is about 40 pounds.

Barracuda
01-18-2009, 08:09 PM
I have never met a "GAY POODLE" ?
How do you know they are gay?
do the said Poodles hang out at certain gay clubs?
:roll:

ruger#1
01-18-2009, 08:20 PM
They all shed , but you dont notice it as much in the short haired breeds. Though i never had one, I would like a Visala. From the write ups seems to be a good breed.I do however have two gsp s and they are a lot of work.

01-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Yah my family owns loads of goldendoodles it is a cross between golden retrievers and poodles we breed mini's midi's and normal sizes they are great with kids, they don't shed but i'm not too sure about the hunting part haven't taken one hunting overall i love them and they are probably the choice i would take.http://www.cottagethymefarms.com/pb/wp_df77c1b7/images/img12558479d238891bda.JPG
this ones a 45 lbs. dog

moosinaround
01-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Golden Retreiver, and have him fixed at 6 months. My guy was about 55lbs, but was a very well tempered guy who lived to fetch. Loved kids!!

willydog
01-18-2009, 08:45 PM
I have a springer spaniel liver and white about 45-50 pounds loves to hunt and great with people,kids.I take him to work with me every day can't think of a better breed!(Just my opinion though)P.S. I keep his hair real short get him cliped every couple months!

jayrod
01-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Brittany Spaniel - Are's is still a pup and she doesn't shed at all. Not sure if this will change later on but I'd try and swing it with your wife because this dog has the best tempermant I've found in any breed. She is very affectionate, smart, and great with my nephews ages 3 & 6.

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2058/5/100/655405469/n655405469_2417710_2982.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2058/5/100/655405469/n655405469_2417723_6553.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2058/5/100/655405469/n655405469_2417719_5419.jpg

browningboy
01-18-2009, 08:49 PM
I have never met a "GAY POODLE" ?
How do you know they are gay?
do the said Poodles hang out at certain gay clubs?
:roll:

As your avatar says, pipe smoker.

browningboy
01-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the replies with input guys, I like the spaniels as they don't shed (as much) as the others, seems like the temperment is good as well, will have to do some research. Theres so many breeds but I want one thats "sporting" if you know what I mean.

willydog
01-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Thats a real nice lookin pup Jayrod!!! If I knew how to post pics I would LOL!!!!

Phil
01-18-2009, 09:04 PM
I have had my eye this breed for some time. I think you can eliminate the gay factor with this one. It also meets your other criteria.

Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/breedinformation/sporting/images/wirehagr.jpg

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/wirehairedpointinggriffon.htm

Barracuda
01-18-2009, 09:37 PM
you do realize that poodles were a hunting dog ? LOL

ROEBUCK
01-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the replies with input guys, I like the spaniels as they don't shed (as much) as the others, seems like the temperment is good as well, will have to do some research. Theres so many breeds but I want one thats "sporting" if you know what I mean.
SPANIELS ARE GREAT, GOOD HUNTING DOGS AND VERY AFECTIONATE WITH THE FAMILY

30-378-magnum
01-18-2009, 10:17 PM
why not get rid of kids problem solved

betteroffishing
01-18-2009, 10:22 PM
boxers make great family pets. loyal to the end and quick to take to training.

Sasquatch
01-18-2009, 10:50 PM
I'll second the vote for Griff.

German Wirehairs don't shed either and are great gun dogs.

Marc
01-18-2009, 10:54 PM
you do realize that poodles were a hunting dog ? LOL

I'll second that, when Marshall was doing his juniors there was a standard poodle in the mix of dogs and she was bang on the mark every time. Nothing wrong with a poodle, and poodles don't shed.

black 'n blue
01-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Poodles are ghey, get a bluetick.

Barracuda
01-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Yup that hound will make a heck of a good retreiver and low maintanance dog :lol:

forget a hound if you want an easy dog to deal with, we have one that fetches but if something grabs her nose For Get It!.

Spanials are great dogs if from good blood , it fits the size requirements and they can be trained to track almost everything.

I think that there are many breeds that fit your criteria as long as they are from good blood and you do your part with the training.

betteroffishing
01-19-2009, 07:01 AM
you doing your part on the training is vital. the kids want a dog but you dont. sounds like a dog not worth having because, at the end of the day the job will be yours. just my 2 c , not a judgement at all.

kinderdoggin
01-19-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm agreeing with betteroffishing here. I think if you don't really want a dog, the best kind to get for your kids would be the kind that comes with batteries included. Or take them to a local shelter to volunteer - that way the get the hands on doggy time without forcing you to make a commitment you aren't ready to make.

huntergirl270
01-19-2009, 10:16 AM
I will vote for springers myself but you MUST be ready to spend time with any of the suggested breeds. They all require training and time spent with them.

You can have an amazing dog of any breed it all boils down to how you train them and how much time you spend with them.

We have a field bred springer so she doesn't grow the long hair all round only "feathers". I, like your wife was adament about the shedding. Our springer is clipped down to almost nothing every summer so a lot of people ask us if she is a shorthair and we use a "furminator" to keep her in tip top shape. Even if you don't keep up on it, there is very little shedding with a field bred springer.

Also, springers are very receptive to all ages of children and are very loyal and easy to train. Our girl will only do her business in one corner behind our shop so I don't have to worry about cleanup all over the yard. We have done this training with all of our dogs including the dog we fostered for a while and it only takes a couple days.

Having said that though.. by your post it doesn't sound like you are ready as a family to make this commitment (I may have misunderstood). I wouldn't recommend anyone to get a dog unless 100% sure they are able to follow thru with attention, training etc. Any breed of dog is only as good as you make it.

Best of luck in your decision.

houndogger
01-19-2009, 10:36 AM
you doing your part on the training is vital. the kids want a dog but you dont. sounds like a dog not worth having because, at the end of the day the job will be yours. just my 2 c , not a judgement at all.

X2 Guy not far for here used to use a standard poodle for cougar. You sound like a cat guy to me:wink:

Ben Fougere
01-19-2009, 11:25 AM
I agree with Kinderdoggin and Betteroffishing. If you are not ready to take on the responsibility of a dog, then both the dog and yourself are better off in the long run.

If you had to find a dog that doesn't shed I have another suggestion, but I only suggest this dog with EXTREME caution. Extreme meaning that this dog needs a lot of people and dog socialization. My parents bought this dog a few years back. Great outdoor and indoor dog. He is somewhat protects the house, yet is very gentle with kids and even protects my younger brother if we "play fight" in front of him. He gets attached to a family, and I would argue that he could be an excellent hunting/sporting dog, although this is not what he was bought for. Yes, Poodles were meant for hunting and this dog exhibits a hunting instinct.

Best of all.....No shedding.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/IMG_1679.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCN2009.JPG

I believe he is a cross between airedale or wheaton terrier and poodle. As far as I know it's the terrier in him that you have to watch out for.

browningboy
01-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Thanks for all the replies, don't get me wrong, we love dogs and had them before and realize the responsibility involved, but right now with young kids that are involved with sports etc. , I just am debating if we truely have the time that is required for a companion as such.
That being said we are not saying no 100% either so thats why this thread is here, a good sporting breed that doesn't shed (wife put that part in)! I still am a fan of the lab, bar-none your best friend with lots of capabilities but after some research on spaniels, they seemlike they fit the bill as well.
I just dred the puppy distructive stage! LOL

huntergirl270
01-21-2009, 11:21 AM
You may want to consider a started pup. We purchased our pup from Hupper Kennels at 6 months and she was already introduced to the sound of guns and had some knowledge of the "game" as he is a trainer and does field trials on his property. Also, she was past the messy puppy stage.

There is also another reputable breeder in Ontario who sells what they call the "perfect pup" They will introduce the pup to cap guns and retrieval etc. They are Springville Springers. Springville no longer train the pups/dogs themselves but send them out.

Winston at Hupper Kennels charged us 900.00 plus crate and shipping(flight) not sure if that is his going rate as he wasn't originally going to sell Zena he wanted her for his breeding program and field trials. We were going to wait for a pup or go elsewhere and he offered her to us because he thought she would fit in with our family really well.

Springville charges 1500.00 plus the extras.

dakotawinters
01-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Hey I have 2 brittany's ones 30 lbs, the other is 45 lbs. They are awesome dogs... but dogs are a ton of work. They need to be fed, brushed, walked, and poop picked up. If you dont' really want a dog. You shouldn't get one unless your going to be committed to devoting 7-16 years to it depending on which breed you go for. I agree with trying walking a few dogs from the SPCA first, 4-5 times a week. See if the kids can handle that first before you dive into owning your own dog. Please do your research.

huntcoop
01-21-2009, 12:39 PM
My big want would be a dog that requires no leash...is there such a thing?

We've had/have beagles and my next pup will be a leash-less dog. One that will jump in the truck and cruise to the store, sleep in the truck waiting for you to return. Also one that doesn't shed and the 40 lbs would be a bonus.........keep the suggestions coming.........

dakotawinters
01-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Brittany's are totally portable. I used to have boxers and 85lbs vs 30-45 makes such a difference. But they for sure need lots of exercise to keep them mellow. I can actually keep 2 brittanys for the same price as one large dog. (food bills) Plus guys you can hunt with them or do field trials, tracking, show dog stuff, and we are starting to do agility. Very versatile. My dogs come everywhere with me in my car. They have minimal shedding. And very little grooming. Now a dog with no leash.... they never even have collars on any more. As I did alot of remote training with them when they were younger. I still have to do reminder lessons with them just as follow up. (as they are both under the age of 2)

FlyingHigh
01-21-2009, 12:48 PM
i would go with a lab. they don't shed as much as some people would think if you groom them properly. besides, they look nicer than poodles and other breeds. personally, i would never buy any of the dogs pictured in this thread because i don't like they way they look. i'm sure they are great dogs, don't get me wrong. but since i have to look at the dog every day, i think something that looks nice to you is just as important as one that meets your other criteria. dogs are a pretty personal choice.

Dirty
01-21-2009, 12:52 PM
I have seen quite a few Brittany's and I really like them. However, aren't Spaniels prone to skin problems? I would seriously consider this BB. Do what any good husband would do. Tell her you found a strain of Lab's that are bred to not shed. Bring it home, before she realizes it sheds, she will fall in love with how cute it is. Relationships are built on a foundation of lies. :razz:

huntergirl270
01-21-2009, 01:34 PM
I have seen quite a few Brittany's and I really like them. However, aren't Spaniels prone to skin problems? I would seriously consider this BB. Do what any good husband would do. Tell her you found a strain of Lab's that are bred to not shed. Bring it home, before she realizes it sheds, she will fall in love with how cute it is. Relationships are built on a foundation of lies. :razz:

I own and have owned Springer Spaniels in the past and have never heard of or seen one with any skin issues so maybe its only related to the Brits. Research any breed and you will come up with the health issues the breed is more prone to and skin issues with Springers is not common. Ears are an issue however as with any floppy eared dog. If you are careful in your choice and go with a line that is tried and true for health and character you will get yourself a great dog.

And again, with proper grooming and maintenance you won't have hair issues with any dog. Buy a "furminator" they are the best invention EVER.

Do you know anyone who owns a dog that does shed? Maybe get them a furminator and have them test it out on their dog and when your wife sees the results she will let you get the lab.

Angel
01-21-2009, 01:39 PM
And again, with proper grooming and maintenance you won't have hair issues with any dog. Buy a "furminator" they are the best invention EVER.

Do you know anyone who owns a dog that does shed? Maybe get them a furminator and have them test it out on their dog and when your wife sees the results she will let you get the lab.

X1000000 couldnt agree more best invenstion ever for pet owners! We love ours.

dakotawinters
01-21-2009, 03:50 PM
I have a furminator too, i love it to bits. I have not heard of any skin issues with brittanys either.

Geo.338
01-21-2009, 05:51 PM
We have an english springer spaniel he is 50 lbs and is great with kids and all people and animals .

BCBRAD
01-21-2009, 06:45 PM
A non- shedding dog is an Airedale, we are on number two and three right now. They instinctively guard kids, both of ours a free in the house while we are at work as was the first one. They need a firm hand and are scared of nothing. We had a beagle for 13 yrs......what a nightmare that was.

browningboy
01-22-2009, 07:17 AM
I have to check out the furminator, sounds interesting! Thanks for the heads up!

Angel
01-27-2009, 02:56 PM
I have to check out the furminator, sounds interesting! Thanks for the heads up!

you wont be disappointed, they are expensive but worth it.

Salty
01-28-2009, 01:39 PM
My wife wanted to get a labradoodle a few years back. I nixed the idea because I too that they looked too 'ghey' for my liking. The name doesn't help either. lol. So we ended up with a couple dogs from the pound.

Shortly after this, I was outside of the Seatle airport and this guy came down the side walk with this boss looking dog on a leash. Head high, he pranced and had a steely gaze and wasn't nervous of all the chaos around him. I nodded at the guy and asked if I could check out his dog. Sure, he said. I gave the dog my fist and he was cool, so I petted him and checked him over.

What the hell is this dog I asked. He said its a labradoodle :shock: I couldn't freaking believe it. It was one happening boss dog, not the neurotic terrior thing I was expecing. Turns out buddy was on his way to a pheasant hunt. I asked if it was a good hunting dog he just smiled and say oooooh ya!

If I was in the market I'd definitely look into one. I mean definitely. The no shed thing is a bonus too. ..

Angel
01-28-2009, 05:08 PM
My wife wanted to get a labradoodle a few years back. I nixed the idea because I too that they looked too 'ghey' for my liking. The name doesn't help either. lol. So we ended up with a couple dogs from the pound.

Shortly after this, I was outside of the Seatle airport and this guy came down the side walk with this boss looking dog on a leash. Head high, he pranced and had a steely gaze and wasn't nervous of all the chaos around him. I nodded at the guy and asked if I could check out his dog. Sure, he said. I gave the dog my fist and he was cool, so I petted him and checked him over.

What the hell is this dog I asked. He said its a labradoodle :shock: I couldn't freaking believe it. It was one happening boss dog, not the neurotic terrior thing I was expecing. Turns out buddy was on his way to a pheasant hunt. I asked if it was a good hunting dog he just smiled and say oooooh ya!

If I was in the market I'd definitely look into one. I mean definitely. The no shed thing is a bonus too. ..

I have heard great things about these dogs aswell. My brother just got a pure bred standard puddle that comes from hunting lines and he says it shows signs of learning hunting commands at 3-4 months. Very smart dogs. I personaly am not too into the poodles but JMO.

bigredchev
01-29-2009, 03:02 AM
retriever or lab. Loyal, great with people and can be trained easily. My nova scotian duck tolling retreiver is a shedder, but whats a little hairball or two for a dog thats excellent? Natural duck instincts make it a lot easier, soft mouth for birds, not too big.

I'd take breed temperment over shedding any day of the week.

goatdancer
01-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Don't have a dog so I'm not biased. What I've heard about labradoodles is very impressive. The loyalty of a lab and the intelligence of a poodle, the poodle being one of the most intelligent dogs on earth.
Whatever you do, check the parentage of the pup if at all possible. Lots of puppy mills turn out pups that grow into a nightmare.

Angel
01-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Don't have a dog so I'm not biased. What I've heard about labradoodles is very impressive. The loyalty of a lab and the intelligence of a poodle, the poodle being one of the most intelligent dogs on earth.
Whatever you do, check the parentage of the pup if at all possible. Lots of puppy mills turn out pups that grow into a nightmare.

Good point for sure. You cant be too carefull when selecting your pup. Definatly check out the parent pups and see what other info you can get.

Islandeer
01-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Keep it simple. If you want a retriever , get one. A pointer, get one. Don't get a dog and try to make it into something it aint!! :roll: And be very careful with the lab poodle thingies. They really are unproven and prone to poor breeding programs. I have not liked what i have seen. really if you want a good mixed breed there are lots at the shelters etc. And yah I am that biased Lab guy ... 8)

Angel
01-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Islandeer i agree with you about labs are labs and what not. I am a purebred bias tho, i like to know bloodlines and as much as possible.

7mag700
01-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks for all the replies, don't get me wrong, we love dogs and had them before and realize the responsibility involved, but right now with young kids that are involved with sports etc. , I just am debating if we truely have the time that is required for a companion as such.
That being said we are not saying no 100% either so thats why this thread is here, a good sporting breed that doesn't shed (wife put that part in)! I still am a fan of the lab, bar-none your best friend with lots of capabilities but after some research on spaniels, they seemlike they fit the bill as well.
I just dred the puppy distructive stage! LOL

My last dog came from the SPCA at 7 months old, so I had kinda forgotten about the destructive puppy stage. Then I got this little devil (another Aussie Shep). Her most notable feats of mayhem: eating a 1' x 2' patch of our bedroom carpet, and destroying 2/3 of a nice set of venetian blinds. At the end she had to have been launching herself at the blinds from the bed, because she managed to eat slats that were 4' or more feet off the floor!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0952_Small.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12582&size=big&cat=500)

7m7

browningboy
01-29-2009, 06:58 PM
My last dog came from the SPCA at 7 months old, so I had kinda forgotten about the destructive puppy stage. Then I got this little devil (another Aussie Shep). Her most notable feats of mayhem: eating a 1' x 2' patch of our bedroom carpet, and destroying 2/3 of a nice set of venetian blinds. At the end she had to have been launching herself at the blinds from the bed, because she managed to eat slats that were 4' or more feet off the floor!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0952_Small.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12582&size=big&cat=500)

7m7

Nice pup, very cute!

GoatGuy
01-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Well, we have a delima in our household, the kids are bugging me for a dog, we don't really want one but if I got one it would be a lab as they are just the best breed IMO but the wife says it cannot shed period, so she is looking at labridoodles etc and I don't like the looks of them as they look like a gay poodle.
What I'm asking for is a dog that is non-shedding, great with kids and can be a gun dog, the gun dog thing really isn't as important as being good with kids, it just has to be part of the family so to speak, what breeds would one suggest?

We want one that is about 40 pounds.

For these pre-reqs you could save yourself some $ and get a mutt from the SPCA.

Airheads and terriers in general might be the way to go right now as lumber's cheap- it would be a good alternative to multiple shock collars. Seen some good brittany's and some bad brittany's, probably just a training thing. Pointers are fun.

For another 20 lbs and a bit of hair you can get a lab and it can go hunting with you (not just a gun dog).

browningboy
01-30-2009, 07:03 PM
I am a lab guy at heart but I am voted down by the kids and wife , they want something smaller and I had to laugh, she told me about a king charles cavalier spaniel and told me its a sporting breed? Looked at it and can't see it doing much! Looks like I will have a mop!LOL

ROEBUCK
01-30-2009, 07:09 PM
springer spaniels rule!

The MAN
02-05-2009, 06:19 PM
I am a lab guy at heart but I am voted down by the kids and wife , they want something smaller and I had to laugh, she told me about a king charles cavalier spaniel and told me its a sporting breed? Looked at it and can't see it doing much! Looks like I will have a mop!LOL

actually a nice breed, very expensive but nice, we bought one two years ago and paid almost 3K! She has champion bloodlines from Europe as well as Canada and guarunteed for 6 years.

Angel
02-09-2009, 10:08 AM
They are a very pretty dog WAWAH! expensive tho... I dont know if I would let a dog like that get dirty:-P. Very pretty

#1fishslayer
03-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Did you say 4 pounds,lol. Hes got long hair but he dont seem to shed. Good with kids , will see about the gun dog aspect. lol
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r100/daveanddar/100_0074.jpg

dutchie
03-01-2009, 10:07 PM
what about a portugese water dog?

These dogs have hair so they do not shed... they shed about as much as a human.

They are born retrivers for cold water, but they are higher energy. About the same as a retriver.

they are really cool dogs, my ex girlfriend had one and they have a great sence of humor... I was taking him for a walk and he hid behind a bush and then jumped out at me scaring the scat out of me!

very cool dogs!

dutchie

farside
03-03-2009, 06:49 PM

Have heard and seen the same. Talk with a good breeder and they will fill you in on the genetics and how the breed is evolving and it is evolving. Most interesting I have seen as yet was 1st gen laberdoodle (female)crossed with a PB lab. Very mucha lab but with just enough poodle to tone down the shedding. The farther you get down the poodle to laberdoodle cross the less shedding you get. Stick to the hunting lines in both breeds and you cannot go wrong.

kinderdoggin
03-04-2009, 09:48 AM
If you don't like shedding, why not just get a working line Standard Poodle? And those portuguese water dogs ARE really cool dogs, I've never hunted over one but the ones I've met are very intelligent and trainable.

The labradoodle isn't a breed, I'm afraid, and with the popular emphasis on the early crosses (Lab X Poodle, or Labradoodle X PB Poodle or Lab) it won't ever become a real breed. This means there will never be any predictability as to temperament, coat qualities, hunting ability, etc- it all just depends on what the individual parent dogs bring to the table - just like with any mutt. I have yet to see a labradoodle that was from hunting lines on both sides. I don't get the impression that most of these breeders are trying to produce a better working dog... they are trying to produce a puppy that sells for big bucks to whomever will buy it. Not really the best of both worlds, IMO, a dog that sheds a little but grows enough hair it still needs to be clipped. I'm not saying that they won't hunt, just saying that I haven't met anyone breeding them intentionally as hunting dogs. Most of the labradoodle breeders I've run in to treat their dogs like a money factory and aren't really breeding anything in particular besides a cute name.

I am not against creating a new breed, but breeding mutts for big $$$ because the public thinks they are a rare new breed is not the same thing. There are plenty of curly coated retriever type breeds already, and more than enough pet type breeds already, I just don't see what the advantage is with a mixed-breed dog with no real standard as to basic things like size, coat type or behavior. If you like a gamble, get a rescue dog.

Erin

dutchie
03-04-2009, 01:27 PM
I have cracked the code why Browningboy has not replied to this thread...

He is Banned!

i think we had so great Ideas but he had to go and get himself banned!

pfff!

dutchie

Angel
03-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Pure bred or Mix?? I have personaly been going through breeders in search of the right breed. But Mix breeds can be great and can also be hit or miss, however health issues can be less in mix breeds. any thoughts?

kinderdoggin
03-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Health issues are less tracked in mixed breeds, but are not less prevalent, let me assure you. Nearly all of the research into genetic health problems is done by (or funded by) breed clubs. This is also how diseases are typically tracked. So, for example, in Labs we know that problems like Hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, PRA, EIC, CNM all are (at least partially) heritable. This may sound like a lot of problems but really, if you are buying a pup from a breeder testing for these diseases, it's relatively easy to get a healthy pup with no problems.

Mixing breeds of dogs doesn't reduce the risk of genetic problems. This is because most breeds of dog are prone to the same basic diseases (hip dysplaysia, eye disease) in addition to the extra ones that vary by breed. Unfortunately, mixing breeds actually serves to increase the odds of a health problem developing. Mixed breed dogs are not really true examples of hybrid vigor in the sense that they are not really hybrids - all dogs are the same species.

Anyway, food for thought. I've worked at a vet clinic and at an animal shelter and have seen enough mixed breed dogs with problems to know that they are in no way healthier (although it seems they tend to have the bad luck to end up with owners who won't treat their problems :( ). If a mixed breed is what you yearn for, consider a rescue and save a life... but if you are looking for known instinct, skill, look, temperament, health, etc, a purebred from a responsible breeder is the way to go.

Erin

dutchie
03-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Health issues are less tracked in mixed breeds, but are not less prevalent, let me assure you. Nearly all of the research into genetic health problems is done by (or funded by) breed clubs. This is also how diseases are typically tracked. So, for example, in Labs we know that problems like Hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, PRA, EIC, CNM all are (at least partially) heritable. This may sound like a lot of problems but really, if you are buying a pup from a breeder testing for these diseases, it's relatively easy to get a healthy pup with no problems.

Mixing breeds of dogs doesn't reduce the risk of genetic problems. This is because most breeds of dog are prone to the same basic diseases (hip dysplaysia, eye disease) in addition to the extra ones that vary by breed. Unfortunately, mixing breeds actually serves to increase the odds of a health problem developing. Mixed breed dogs are not really true examples of hybrid vigor in the sense that they are not really hybrids - all dogs are the same species.

Anyway, food for thought. I've worked at a vet clinic and at an animal shelter and have seen enough mixed breed dogs with problems to know that they are in no way healthier (although it seems they tend to have the bad luck to end up with owners who won't treat their problems :( ). If a mixed breed is what you yearn for, consider a rescue and save a life... but if you are looking for known instinct, skill, look, temperament, health, etc, a purebred from a responsible breeder is the way to go.

Erin

Mixed breed dogs are great little companions but if you want a dog that is going to work for you then you should spend the money and get a PROVEN pure breed dog and look for line breeding.

When I was searching for my dog the guys that knew exactly what they were doing had more then one dog and the supported other breeders. A breeder with lots of respect and a good track record as well as proven blood lines is the breeder that you choose if you want a great dog.

A back yard breeder that no one knows, or tries to "Sell" you on thier dogs is most likley a breeder that is not doing it for the dogs, rather doing it for the money.

Anyone that is thinking about a serious bird dog should read this... Even if you are not getting a GSP.

http://www.westwindgsps.com/linebreeding.htm

this tells you why linebreeding is the way to produce great predictible dogs.

dutchie

kinderdoggin
03-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Good point, Dutchie -
Just getting a purebred with papers isn't going to guarantee you a get a great working dog or a healthy dog - there are a lot of backyard breeders out there that sell registered dogs and are just looking for a buck. Papers are easy to come by but good genetics are not.

Check references, watch the parent dogs work, and ask lots of questions before making a decision on a specific breeder. If you can meet related adult dogs, older siblings, cousins, grandparents, or what have you, you can get an idea if the breeder is consistently producing good dogs or is just breeding at random. Beware of any breeder who tries to sell you a dog without asking any questions about what you are actually looking for.

The purchase price is just a small part of the investment in a dog - it costs the same to feed a good dog as a poor dog but where you will notice a difference is a good dog costs less in training, vet bills, and will provide you with more good experiences over the life of the dog. Always a good idea to buy the best dog you can afford when you are looking for specific working skills.

Erin

Angel
03-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Very good imput Dutchie and Kinderdoggin. I am personaly going to get a GSP by choice. We have met alot of diffrent breeders and other GSP owners and it works the best to chat and see how there dogs interact and how they work. There are not alot of good local GSP breeders in BC so it can be slim pickin's. Would definatly like to get into some ckc events and hopefully push for a master hunter or etc... Kind of an off topic question but how important do you guys find crate training a puppy from the beging??

kinderdoggin
03-05-2009, 10:41 AM
I recommend crate training... I think it helps to establish a routine from the beginning and keeps the pup out of harms way when you are not able to supervise it. IMO this is the easiest way to house train a pup, and has lots of other advantages, such as teaching the pup to deal with confinement, being alone and prevents bad habits before from forming. Not to mention the pup has his own space where he can relax without being bugged by the kids, other dogs, etc.

Erin

Angel
03-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I think my primary use for crate training would be for at night. I have heard from almost everyone aswell that its recommended to crate train. Thanks for the imput.

dutchie
03-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Very good imput Dutchie and Kinderdoggin. I am personaly going to get a GSP by choice. We have met alot of diffrent breeders and other GSP owners and it works the best to chat and see how there dogs interact and how they work. There are not alot of good local GSP breeders in BC so it can be slim pickin's. Would definatly like to get into some ckc events and hopefully push for a master hunter or etc... Kind of an off topic question but how important do you guys find crate training a puppy from the beging??

Crate training is essential with working dogs imho. When a working dog gets bored they entertain themselfs by getting into mischeif... this could be your $4000 leather couch, or your toilet paper. Also a crate is thier bedroom. they are more comfortable in thier room when things get crazy... it is thier safe place.

GSP's are amazing dogs and Angel I would still reccomend you talk to Gary Hutchinson of Westwind GSP's. His Girls just came into heat and a very solidly line breed with DC Hillhaven Hustler. (very well known dog in NAVHDA and I belive VC Jacob vd westwind MH is the sire to Pritcey vd westwind MH) GREAT combo of dogs. Hard hunters and calmer in the house

I switched gears from the GSP because the hunting I am now doing is alot different then 6 months ago. (Kinda went off the deepend with hunting) and the DK suits what I need alot better then the GSP now.

Also, the CKC will not endorse the pointers in the JH, SH and MH. CKC will give the JH,SH,and MH to retrivers only. So you will need to look into the AKC which there is a pointing club in Bellinham that is Reg'd with the AKC. If you want the dog to be able to participate in the AKC events, it needs to be reg'd to the AKC, so make sure you ask the breeder if they are reg'd in the AKC if this is your goal.

NAVHDA is another great Versitlie hunting dog accosiation. were you will have tests to run your dog through, there is Natural Ability, Utility, and versitility. You just have to join with NAVHDA to be able to test through that.

Every dog has a purpose, weather it being a lap dog or a hard hunter or a gaurd dog. there is no best dog or worst dog... as long as the reaserch is done prior to buying the dog so you don't get any suprises like... i didn't know that this breed needed lots of exercise, or this breed dosn't like kids

dutchie

LOC
03-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Also, the CKC will not endorse the pointers in the JH, SH and MH. CKC will give the JH,SH,and MH to retrivers only. So you will need to look into the AKC which there is a pointing club in Bellinham that is Reg'd with the AKC. If you want the dog to be able to participate in the AKC events, it needs to be reg'd to the AKC, so make sure you ask the breeder if they are reg'd in the AKC if this is your goal.

NAVHDA is another great Versitlie hunting dog accosiation. were you will have tests to run your dog through, there is Natural Ability, Utility, and versitility. You just have to join with NAVHDA to be able to test through that.

If you did want to work your GSP into some CKC titles, it would be the FDJ (Jr. Feild Dog), FD and FDX (Field Dog, excallent). There are events held around both the mainland and island that are CKC reg'd.

Angel
03-05-2009, 02:51 PM
do any of you Langley area GSP owners know a GSP named Treeger?? Met Treeger and her owner last weekend awsome dog.

LOC
03-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Haven't met Treeger yet. There are a few GSPs in langley and for the most they are all great dogs :)

Maybe a HBC GSP get together at one of parks is needed.

Angel
03-05-2009, 04:29 PM
That would be awsome.... which park do you usually go to for doggie walks?

moosetaken
03-10-2009, 01:04 PM
I just got back sat eve from an 1800km round trip down south to pu my new gsp pup. I got her from a member of the board and was glad to as I got to meet both of the parents and know that the pup was from a home that used their dogs for hunting not show. It gives a guy confidence to deal with a board member and know that info is a quick pm away. I can hardly wait until I get more than a couple of hours sleep at a time and can start her training. September 09 might be optimistic but we'll see. Lookout grouse!

kinderdoggin
03-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Okay now let's see some pictures of your new little one!!!

dutchie
03-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Okay now let's see some pictures of your new little one!!!

To avoid banishment!!!

PS - @ 10 months old in Septemeber that dog will be a grouse wrecking ball!!!

dutchie

bowhunterbruce
03-11-2009, 03:46 PM
i have 2 hunting hounds and i'll tell ya not only are they short haired and great with kids but they have a devotion like none i have ever owned. one is a treeing walker coonhound and the other is a walker/bluetic cross.they are dogs that love to go and have fun in the outdoors and are driven with thier noses big time.i used my dogs primarily for retrieving animals after ive shot them and there was very little training needed to do so.i have also trained them for treeing bears and again they not only picked it up fast ,they show no fear towards a bear yet they are smart and fast enough to avoid a dumb situation with a bear.so if your out camping they are good at telling ya something bad is around.the only bad thing i have found is that they hate cats which if you hunt its grate but if you or your neighbors have the house varity they tend to be abit loud.

dutchie
03-16-2009, 01:59 PM
I just got back sat eve from an 1800km round trip down south to pu my new gsp pup. I got her from a member of the board and was glad to as I got to meet both of the parents and know that the pup was from a home that used their dogs for hunting not show. It gives a guy confidence to deal with a board member and know that info is a quick pm away. I can hardly wait until I get more than a couple of hours sleep at a time and can start her training. September 09 might be optimistic but we'll see. Lookout grouse!

I vote 1 week ban for the pictures... or lack there of!!!

all in favor vote "I"!!!

dutchie

to avoid it we want pictures!!!

kinderdoggin
03-16-2009, 02:15 PM
"I"

(that's two votes!)

:smile:

gh300
03-16-2009, 05:28 PM
what is a gsp?

BCBRAD
03-16-2009, 05:54 PM
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee304/whelenpg/babinesept2008017.jpg

This is a 50lb. female Airedale, does not shed at all.

gh300
03-16-2009, 08:52 PM
what the heck kind of dog is a labradoodle? is that like a golden noodle retriever? hahaha lol

Shooter
03-16-2009, 09:38 PM
I just got myself a new pup last week. He was 8 weeks old when I got him and he is a Springer Spaniel. He has so far been a joy to have. He gets a little overstimulated fairly easily with the kids and all but he his disposition is totally awesome. He loves everyone.. he hasn't been shy at all, however he really strives on daily exersize. I started training him the very first night I got him.... Even at this VERY early age he picked up all the basic commands in a flash. Usually within about 3 try's he had the basics down. Now after a week he comes to his name, He sits, (when he greets you and before you feed him etc etc.) He's know's laydown, He goes in his kennel when told, He shakes a paw, and we are working on stay and walking on a leash. He is doing great with stay, I have him up to about 7-10 seconds before the puppy in him just can't sit still any longer :razz: Of course we still need to refine him on all of these commands as he easily can get distracted. I have him retrieving toys already but can't get him to drop them very easy. Anyone have any tips on how to get a puppy to drop after they retrieve? He really doesn't wanna give up a toy after he works so hard to get it..lol. He also pretty much sleeps through the night however by about 4:30 he is ready for a good play. Anyways here is our new guy. His name is Boone.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/P1010414.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/P1010365.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/P1010379.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/P1010375.jpg

dutchie
03-16-2009, 09:44 PM
what is a gsp?

A GSP is the Acronym for German Shorthair Pointer, in some places it is GSHP which is German Short Hair Pointer

in my opinion it is the dog that discribes "bird dog"

google it for pictures!

dutchie

dutchie
03-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Shooter your pup is so cute, Springers are loads of fun!

Are you training him to retrive or for upland? or is he a family dog?

Congrats on the great looking poop machine!:p

Dutchie

Shooter
03-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Thanx Dutchie. I am hoping he will be a good grouse dog and overall just a good outdoor companion as well as a family pet. All things so far are pointing toward him being great at all of the above. He is also about 99% paper trained so not much poop in the house. He only dropped one coiler on the carpet so far in a week.

Angel
03-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Shooter, such a cute pup where did you get him? Do you have more pics?

Shooter
03-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Ya I got him from some people in Nanaimo. I had been talking with a couple different breeders but they were all distant and I would have to have a pup flown in sight unseen. Also would have had to wait for future litters etc. I happened on some people who had an accidental litter of pups. I took a little flack from a couple people who told me that if I was going to get a pure breed that I should have went through a breeder and maybe they are right, but I did get to see records of each of the parents vet checks and health exams.He is an adoreable pup and he has the best temperament. His father was a registered purebred but his mother wasn't registered, and being able to view the pups and the mother before making the decision was a big bonus.
Here's a couple other pics Angel

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/P1010375.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/P1010365.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/P1010379.jpg

dutchie
03-22-2009, 02:16 AM
wow so cute. I am really glad you are overly excited about your pup!

Dogs are mans best friends for a reason, and this is just another reason why.

congrats on such a little cutie and many years of happy hunting!!!

PS are you interested in any training? Bopper is going to get a course going sometime soon...

Dutchie!

Shooter
03-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Yes I would love some help training and I have been speaking with Bopper via e-mail. Me being on the Island it may not be feasable for me to head to the mainland for a 2 day training course but we will see what happens. I did just order some training dvd's in and hope to have them in within the next week or so..... hope they are worth it.

Spampy
03-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Labs all the way.
They are worth the shedding.
And besides...they are only puppies for 6-8 years!
Spayed at 6 months, best dog I every had.