PDA

View Full Version : Spring Grizzly Reccomendations

Gateholio
01-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Despite applying for many spring and fall grizzly LEH's, I've never been lucky enough to draw one. Granted, I've sometimes applied in areas with higher odds, but often enough in lower odds areas with no luck.

I was perusing the spring grizzly LEH guide today, and of course much of Reg 6 and most of Reg 7 have very good odds. I've hunted in both regions, but unfortunately, I do not have intimate knowledge of them.

Some of this is due to access restrictions, and some of this is due to many hunters not wanting to use up vacation time for just a chance at a grizzly, etc.

I'd like to apply for an LEH somewhere that has reasonable odds, and has reasonable access. I don't mind hiking to hunt, dont' mind putting some effort into it.

Any suggestions for a starting point would be appreciated, and of course you can PM me if you want. I just would like to actualy get a tag and be able to get somewhere and hunt grizzlies...Killing one would be a bonus but not required. :)

HD95
01-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Put in for Wakeman or Kingcombe(sp) odds aren't bad,should have a quad to cruise the mainline.Pm if this interests you.Been there,good gbear numbers.

moosinaround
01-18-2009, 03:56 PM
7-41 Gatehouse. I spent two summers up there, and seen the most grizzlies I have ever seen anywhere else I have worked. It is isolated, but road networks are good to get you to the avalanche chutes! Huge blackies too, could make it a double header. Paul FSR, Pelly FSR, Finlay Main, Akie FSR, all real good roads to start a hunt from!! It is almost as beautiful as the coastal mountains, a little drier. Moosin

mark
01-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Despite applying for many spring and fall grizzly LEH's, I've never been lucky enough to draw one. Granted, I've sometimes applied in areas with higher odds, but often enough in lower odds areas with no luck.

I was perusing the spring grizzly LEH guide today, and of course much of Reg 6 and most of Reg 7 have very good odds. I've hunted in both regions, but unfortunately, I do not have intimate knowledge of them.

Some of this is due to access restrictions, and some of this is due to many hunters not wanting to use up vacation time for just a chance at a grizzly, etc.

I'd like to apply for an LEH somewhere that has reasonable odds, and has reasonable access. I don't mind hiking to hunt, dont' mind putting some effort into it.

Any suggestions for a starting point would be appreciated, and of course you can PM me if you want. I just would like to actualy get a tag and be able to get somewhere and hunt grizzlies...Killing one would be a bonus but not required. :)

X2 whats Gates said also applies to me, except I had a draw once!
Would love a chance to bag one!

Gateholio
01-18-2009, 03:58 PM
After the treatment and the threats made to one of the members of our club at Knight/Kingcome by the local Natives, I'm a little wary about applying for there.:razz:

srupp
01-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Clarke give me a call I have some ideas....no not K bay..however THAT is STILL a great place in the spring..

cheers

Steven

HD95
01-18-2009, 04:04 PM
After the treatment and the threats made to one of the members of our club at Knight/Kingcome by the local Natives, I'm a little wary about applying for there.:razz:
I've hunted both wakeman and kingcome.They are seperate tags.I prefer wakeman side.Never had any fn trouble.Home to some huge gbears.

Rackmastr
01-18-2009, 04:12 PM
I used to guide in either 7-38 or 7-39....I'd have to look at the exact land location of the zones.....

Both zones were very good and within a week of hunting you should have no problems finding a big grizz. Its a ways back on the dirt but some very good country up there....

If you want some more info feel free to PM me....if I had a map I could do a bit closer looking....

moosinaround
01-18-2009, 04:26 PM
I used to guide in either 7-38 or 7-39....I'd have to look at the exact land location of the zones.....

Both zones were very good and within a week of hunting you should have no problems finding a big grizz. Its a ways back on the dirt but some very good country up there....

If you want some more info feel free to PM me....if I had a map I could do a bit closer looking....
Have a buddy who hunted 7-39 for grizz last spring. Access is tough! Lots of hiking to get to the chutes and south slopes, not much for access with wheels!

3201 Omineca 7-38 Apr. 15-June 15 Adult only 34 0.4:1

3202 Omineca 7-39 Apr. 15-June 15 Adult only 41 0.2:1

3203 Omineca 7-40 Apr. 15-June 15 Adult only 35 0.1:1
3204 Omineca 7-41 Apr. 15-June 15 Adult only 26 0.5:1
I know access in 7-38, and 7-41 is pretty good! 7-40 is on the FT Ware side of the river, good access again but closer to the city! Odds are all some what similar. Beautiful thing is, it dont really matter where, everywhere is beautiful country!! Good luck Gatehouse!! Moosin

Rackmastr
01-18-2009, 04:36 PM
After lookin at the map online....it was 7-38 that I guided in......I have been up in 7-39 as well for sheep via horseback, etc, but the area that I am thinking of is 7-38.

Camp Cook
01-25-2009, 09:40 AM

If you apply in 7-38 I have a buddy that lives there year round that would love the company and it is great to have a home away from home when going to a new area.

I just put in my draws and our second choice is 7-38 I'll share our first choice after the draws are out... :D

There are some bears there but the problem with 7-38 is that the use of ATV's is not allowed so when I am in this area I am usually prospecting so I legally have my firearms with me for protection and use my ATV to my hearts content.

BCHunterFSJ
01-25-2009, 12:53 PM
I have also had good luck applying in 7-38. Been there 3 times now, with one real nice grizz to my credit.Not being able to use quads does make for a much tougher hunt. Be prepared to do a lot of hiking and climbing!