PDA

View Full Version : sechelt elk leh increase

fowl language
01-17-2009, 06:51 PM
welll gang the bcwf has signed off on an increase for leh elk increase in sechelt areas and it went forward to the ministry for signing off yesterday,one more signature and it will be. the in crease will be 6 bulls and 7 cows in increased areas.these will start oct 10 2009 and will be both rifle and bow i understand.the question was asked about moving the date closer to the rut and he said that he would have to decease oppurtunity with increased success rate but he also said there was a second rut in oct that was for the unbred cows.having said that the rifle success rate is about 90% and the bow rate about 25% .i dont think this is out of line with regular hunting for bow and well above average for rifle. he also said with the success of all the transplants that even more oppurtunitys in the future.i think we all owe a huge thanks for all the hard work the sechelt and powell river clubs have put forward as well as all the independants that helped out.they hope to transplant another 50 animals this year with i think around 10 have already been done.good job gang....fowl

Elkhound
01-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Those elk are amazing....I wish I still lived over there to continue helping the elk transplants....will miss that. But other guys will do the job and the elk will continue to flourish. Some of those guys are here on HBC...some as members and some as lurkers. Thanks for all the hard work and time guys.

Fisher-Dude
01-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Good to hear! Lots of hard work by the clubs goes unnoticed. It's good to see it pay off!

I hope our bios are as receptive to loosening the strings a bit when we have FHAC this spring!

cwocarsten
01-18-2009, 12:20 AM
Our Chilliwack RMEF group were able to attend the Pitt Lake Elk transplant and it was an eye opener on how much work is involved to make it a success. I still have the pictures.