PDA

View Full Version : new to hunting need some good advise

texasranger
01-16-2009, 11:58 PM
hello,
ive just been getting into this sport with my girlfriends dad (my dad wouldent ever bring me hunting) so heres the just of it. i live in the kamloops area and i have been doing reserch pretty steadly now for where to hunt and what guns are good for what etc. i just got a few questions on the core and firearms process. when i go to get my core ill be 19 so is the pal part of the core corse? what else do i need to own a rifle? (and buy one) and for all of you who own pistols i wouldent mind getting my restricted firearms licentce but is it really worth it with all the regulations in place to get a restricted licence. like gun club, and tranceportation of pistols? it seems like a huge hassle so for those of you who have one is it as bad as it seems? also Im looking at 2 guns to buy i want a 7mm and a 12ga in the 1000 dollar range for both any reccomandations for both? i am thinking a remmingtion rifle and winchester shotgun. I know i wont be able to get a decent scope for that price but something to start. my girlfriends dad has a 30-30 and a 306 wich i have had alot of experence with lightly. as for tranceportation of rifles, spsifically what are the rules reguarding that. i imagne the bolts have to be out or something or in a case but what do the regs say? when your hunting with people olther than the obvious like dont point guns at people and yelling and screaming :razz: what are some good habits when your out hunting with people? ill be getting my core in the summer so im doing all the reserch i can now. i know how to sight guns and good gun care all of that and i have alot of experence out on the range its just the hunting part. oh one more question how does the "draw" work for certian animals? and who regulates it thats all thanks

kebes
01-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Tex, The core and the pal are two different courses. Once you take the pal course you'll have to send some stuff off to the government and they'll send you a card, I can't remember for sure but I believe that you need the card before you can buy or carry a rifle (opposed to just once you finish the course). As far as the restricted goes, it's not much more of a hassle to get that on top of your normal pal so I would suggest doing it regardlessly of weather you will use it or not. Apparently, the more licensing you have the better if they decide to put further restrictions on firearms. As for the rifle, I picked up a Remington model 7 7mm for under 500 (used) and I've been incredibly happy with it. If you're not opposed to buying used then you can also put a decent scope on it (I put an Elite 4200 on mine). When you're tansporting a firearm, make sure it isn't seen, and it's a good idea to have the bolt apart from the rifle. One thing to make sure of is that if you're out of the vehicle the firearm can't be seen...you can get in big trouble for that...but you'll learn more about that kind of thing in the course. Along those lines the Core course will teach some basic courtesies and that kind of thing, and you'll learn as you go. The draw is run by the govt. You can buy "tickets" at different places (most places that sell a liscence) Anyways, Good luck!!!!!!

scallywag
01-17-2009, 01:18 AM
i would suggest trying to find the core book and start reading right now.. it is not a bad read. Maybe even try to get your core a little early too.. you don;t have to be 19 to get a hunter number.. you can put in for LEH this year if you get on it.

ROM
01-17-2009, 02:29 AM
Tex:

1) good choices on guns for beginning and advanced hunting. a 7mm would be the absolute max I would recommend for a beginner.
2) I would get a Leopold scope 3X9 right off the hop and the best rifle I could afford with it. Probably a savage which would last a lifetime. Its going to kick so be ready with a rifle that has some weight.
3) I borrowed shotguns from those I hunted with until I figured out what kind of hunting I would be doing with it. If you did that you could spend more on the rest.
4)I strongly recommend a limbsaver as well.
5) check out chuck hawks' website.

Enjoy!

R

FlyingHigh
01-17-2009, 03:37 PM
i second that 7mm should be the max for a new shooter. 7mm is my main gun. it was also my first gun. after 20 rounds in a row, it starts to get real punishing on the shoulder.

i'd say a good caliber to start with would be a .243, .270 or a 30/06.

texasranger
01-17-2009, 04:02 PM
hey thanks for the input, ill probaly be using the shotgun for skeet shooting but i want a good all pourpose one as well so i can get into duck hunting later on, im going to pick up my vcore book today as for the 7mm im not exactlly new to shooting just new to hunting ive been using a 306 for a while now and ive had some experence with smaller calibures and want to find a good gun thats useful for just about everything (not that a 306 isnt) just a change i guess thanks

FlyingHigh
01-17-2009, 04:24 PM
if you want a good all around shotgun, i'd go with the Mossberg Maverick 88. it comes with 2 barrels. an 18" defender barrel for fun blasting and bear defence and a 28" barrel for you target and bird shooting. i love mine.

if you think you can hande the boot of a 7mm, go for it. it's a great calibre and it'll drop anything in north america. i would suggest trying one out beforehand though, just so you know what it's like. a .308 is another good choice.

Shermdog
01-17-2009, 07:32 PM
For transporting non restricted firearms (most hunting rifles and shotguns), they just need to be unloaded, bolt can be attached and closed. Its a good idea to keep it somewhat hidden untill your out in hunting grounds. I would get a 30-06 over a 7mm for your first rifle. It is a great calibre, which has taken the most game in canada, lots of used good 30-06 available, and if you want new there are tons of them too. I would try to get a remington 700 sps or something like that, they are relatively cheap and great rifles, even look at the new marlin xl7 they are great, dirt cheap and perform top notch!!! I would spend atleast 200 on a scope, otherwise you will end up having to spend it later. Vortex diamond backs are great, bushnell elite 3200 or leupold vx-I. Or if you wanna spend a lil more for better stuff, look at vortex viper, bushnell elite 4200 or leupold vx-III. For a shotgun Id look at mossberg 500 or remington 870. Good luck!!

Dirty
01-17-2009, 07:54 PM
i second that 7mm should be the max for a new shooter. 7mm is my main gun. it was also my first gun. after 20 rounds in a row, it starts to get real punishing on the shoulder.

i'd say a good caliber to start with would be a .243, .270 or a 30/06.

I didn't know they made youth guns in 7mm magnum? :D

kshort
01-17-2009, 09:56 PM
I own a Remington 870 and it is a shotgun that will last for ever i would put a vote for it for sure relatively cheap aswell

FlyingHigh
01-17-2009, 11:37 PM
I didn't know they made youth guns in 7mm magnum? :D

it's my legs that are short. my arms are fine. :D

kyleklassen
01-18-2009, 01:25 AM
i've introduced several young people to shooting and if there is one piece of advice its familiarity.buy an 870 express. you don't need the supermag, as some would leave you too believe.then buy a 7600 in 30/06. they are identical guns, triggers, safteys, actions and are good on anything from moose to teal.

MichelD
01-18-2009, 11:30 AM
When you take the PAL and CORE many of your questions will be answered.

And yes, research. Lots.

One of my all time favourite hunting books is:

The art of hunting big game in North America (Hardcover)

by Jack O'Connor (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Jack%20O%27Connor) (Author)

If your library doesn't have it, get them to order in on an inter-library loan. It's old now, but not dated really. Hunting is hunting.

And yes don't ever point a gun at anyone and keep your finger out of the trigger guard at all times until you intend to shoot something.

duckhunt
01-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Get a 30-06, it's good for most big game, wouldn't reccomend it for grizzlys though. Once your good with that and you want more power get a 300 win mag it is good for any north American animal and it helps for longer distances shots. keep the 30-06 for a back up rifle.

moosehunter21
01-28-2009, 01:41 PM
You Might wanna look into getting a Benelli Supernova pump shotgun for a good shotgun that will last a lifetime. I really love mine for shooting trap and its great for ducks and turkeys. It can shoot 2 3/4" 3" and 3 1/2". Very Versatile.

brian
01-28-2009, 04:56 PM
The CORE does not give you PAL, but you need to demonstrate safe firearm handling skills as part of the CORE. You'll need your PAL to carry firearms and If you already have your PAL, then you don't need to do that part of the CORE course. So I would say get your PAL and then do your CORE. Saves a day or so on the CORE and you'll need the PAL anyways.

Restricted vs non restricted.... the courses cover mostly the same stuff. The course I did combined them so I got both right off the bat. I don't own any restricted firearms, but at least if I ever did fancy getting into pistol shooting or wanted something like an AR-15 I could pick one up. Good to have options.

Transportation of non-restricted firearms, transport them unloaded. That's it legally speaking. You'll cover this in the PAL.

The appropriate PAL is all you need to legally own firearms (and to carry your non restricted firearms around).

Good habits when hunting with other people, depends on the people but a few good habits... Always control your muzzle direction. NEVER point your muzzle at anyone no matter the terrain you are going over. Try to know where everybody is at all times. You need to know where it is safe to shoot and not safe (ie your buddy is back there somewhere). If somebody gets lost then a hunt can be ruined looking for them. When you take your safety off and unload your rifle always turn away from your vehicle and hunting partners (I learned this one first hand when my hunting partners 300magnum went boom one time when he flicked his safety off. Faulty trigger job was the reason but still... if he wasn't turned away from us, one of us could have been dead or a good sized hole could have been blown into my uncles truck.) Pack it in pack it out. Respect the hunt. It goes on.

The draw is managed by the same regulatory body that gives out hunting licenses. Wherever you can buy licenses you can also put in for certain draws for certain animals in certain regions. Then the draw is made and you'll certainly be informed by mail about which certain animals you'll be able to put certain holes in.

Hope it helps answer a few questions.

Lorne
01-31-2009, 02:28 AM
Definatly get your restricted firearms stuff.. you are already out getting your non-restricted you midas well get both just in case.. shooting pistols is a blast but definatly a pain with the carry pirmit stuff. Get the .270 win perfect gun for starting out. its nice and flat shooting so you don't have to worry all that much about balistics although a 7mm is flat aslo.. for a shotgun save your money and buy a decent autoloading shotgun that way there is very little recoil and alows for quick follow up shots aswell as you can shoot all day. opt for the 28" barrel make and sure it can handle both light trap loads and heavy game loads.. then you will be ready to take on anything