PDA

View Full Version : Pack essentials for sheep

kebes
01-16-2009, 11:49 PM
I've been watching the discussion started for sheep hunting rookies, I'm wondering what some of you who are more experienced would pack when you go on a backpacking trip for sheep. So far my pack consists of, Down sleeping bag (to -10) a North Face Vario tent (2 man), a small propane camp stove (along with two bottles), first aid kit, sleeping mat, fire paste, a couple of lighters, Buck knife, two small sharpening stones, a small pot for cooking, a couple hand warmers, bug spray, garbage bag, matches, flares, water purifying kit, nikon binoculars 10x50, bushnell spotting scope (it's not an expensive one, I will upgrade at some point but can't afford to right now), A good amount of rope, A shirt and pants that are under armor style (base layer). That is what I have so far so I am interested to here what some more experienced hunters would carry with them. Thanks.

Krico
01-17-2009, 12:09 AM
I would suggest adding a gun to your list:-P. It may help if you find a good ram!

Seriously though I would start with a site search on the subject - it has been discussed several times, with a few experienced members taking the time to write up a detailed list of every item in their pack. You could use one of them as a starter, and add/subtract items as you see fit. Be warned: Upgrading to ultralight gear is an expensive excercise!

Good luck!

kebes
01-17-2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks a lot!!!

Gateholio
01-17-2009, 12:46 AM
Lots of whiskey...

And yeah, numerous threads in the gear section about this topic

kootenayelkslayer
01-17-2009, 01:10 AM
You better go with atleast 2 extra pairs of socks, and a change of under shirts and underwear. A rangefinder might help too... what else? I'm sure I can think of a few more things when its not so late at night.

Nimrod
01-17-2009, 08:31 AM
go with atleast 2 extra pairs of socks
Take care of your feet, if they are not happy your in big trouble!!!!! moleskin, good boots ( well broken in) extra socks.
put weight on your back this summer, hike steep hill no trails ,side hills no trails...get those feet ready for anything.

Deaddog
01-17-2009, 08:32 AM
There is a well written article on the WSSoBC website under stu's news regarding what to take etc, written by a very experienced sheep hunter

whitetailsheds
01-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Salt, salt, salt. 2 - one litre bottles per shoulder cape. Not sure how much more for lifesize?

30-378-magnum
01-17-2009, 09:44 AM
some good gore tex rain gear also bring some food and map of area

d6dan
01-17-2009, 11:26 AM
and don't forget a waterproofed map and compass.Or a gps....

bigwhiteys
01-17-2009, 11:45 AM
It will only take 1 or 2 days into your sheep hunt for you to realize if you've gone overkill on gear. The gear list will usually tighten right up after you've lugged around a pile of un-needed stuff on a hunt... Especially sheep.

Aside from your pack here is a list of the items I currently pack along…
I have updated this list with some newer gear, replacements, etc...

It's an expensive sport, there is over $10,000 worth of gear in this list, when you factor in the major items such as boots, pack, optics, rifle, camera eqp... etc..

Clothing
- 6 Pair Thorlo Level III hiking socks. (expensive but worth every penny)
- 1 mid-weight polartec fleece pullover.
- 1 lightweight Merino Wool Icebreaker (wear t-shirt underneath).
- 1 pair North Face Paramount Convertible Pants (2 pairs including the ones I wear)
- 1 pair light-weight thermal underwear. (use these for sleeping in or on colder days)
- 2 pair "Willy Wickers" boxer shorts. (including the one I wear)
- 1 light weight North Face wick away t-shirt.
- 1 pair lightweight rainpants. (rockwater designs)
- 1 lightweight rain jacket. (Helly Hansen)
- 1 pair uninsulated leather gloves.

Sleeping/Shelter
- 1 Lightweight backpacking sleeping bag. (good to about -5c - I will upgrade this bag soon)
- 1 Silcoat packcover (essential for keeping your pack bone dry)
- Prolite 4 Thermarest. (I own 3 thermarests. This one is nice & light and compacts very small)
- 1 Sil-Tarp II 8′x10′. (These lightweight tarps are awesome for a fast light weight shelter)
- 1 Integral Designs MK-3 Expedition Tent (4 season tent)
- 2 HUSKY heavy duty garbage bags (use for groundsheet under tent)

Equipment/Optics/Misc.
- 1 roll of asswipe.
- 2 packs of 15 baby wipes.
- 1 small can of penetan (diaper rash cream)
- 2 Hiking Poles (Chinook)
- SPOT emergeny satellite locator
- Petzl Myo Xp Headlamp. (very bright - runs on 3 AA batteries.)
- Handmade Hunting Knife (could shave weight here with a smaller buck or puma knife.)
- 1 scalpal handle with 3 extra blades (forget size sorry)
- 1 pair Swarovski 8×30 Binoculars.
- 1 Zeiss 85mm Spotting Scope.
- 1 Manfrotto 718 SHB Tripod (okay but there is better)
- First Aid Kit (Tylenol,Ibuprofen,Antiseptic,Bandaids,Bandages,Ga uze,blister kit)
- 1 Tube firepaste (this stuff is the best firestarter I have used yet - Perfect for backpacking)
- 2 or 3 bic lighters stashed in different places on my person or pack.
- 6 AA batteries. (I could probably get away with only 3 but just in case…)
- 1 TrailBlazer Buck Saw (This handy unit breaks down into a light aluminum tube. Makes getting wood for your fire much easier. - We use this lots)
- 12 Federal 130 Grn .270 Rounds (3 in my magazine and 9 on the butt of my rifle)
- 100′ Poly Rope. (Maybe a little overkill but I like to make a good camp)
- Tikka Lite S/S .270 W/Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope. (Great Gun - Accurate & Light!)
- 1 Sony Handycam Video Camera (20x Optical Zoom W/Zeiss Lenses)
- 1 Sony DSC-W50 6.0 MP Digital Camera (Great Small Compact Camera)
- 1 Garmix 60Csx GPS pre-programmed with maps of area.
- 1 printed and laminated copy of Google Map image for area.

Food & Cooking.
- Jetboil Stove (w/2 Canisters fuel - Good for 10 days of boiling water for drinks and meals)
- 2 Liter Soft Plastic Water Container (In case you need to pack extra water)
- 1 1.5 liter Nalgene bottle (Strap to outside of my pack)
- 1 4.85lb bag of salt.
- Pristine water drops (water treatment)

Breakfast
- 4 MountainHouse Granola W/Blueberries (Great Filling Breakfast)
- 3 Packets of Maple & Brown Sugar Oatmeal (Great Light Breakfast)

Lunches/Snacks (I don’t eat much throughout the day)
- 1 Clif Protein Bar for each day. (These are great snacks)
- 2 small bags of Grimms beef jerky
- 1 Ritter Sport Almonds Chocolate Bar. (eat a few squares per serving.)
- 1 Ritter Sport Hazlenut Chocolate Bar. (eat a few squares per serving.)
- 2 Nut & Raisin Chocolate Bars. (eat a few squares per serving.)
- 1 small ziplock with instant coffee
- 1 small ziplock with some sugar
- 2 packages of Emergen-C drink mix for each day.

Dinners. (all mountainhouse)
- 1 Chicken Teriyaki W/Rice.
- 1 Turkey Tettrazinni.
- 1 Chicken Breast w/mashed potatoes.
- 1 Beef Stew (Really Good)
- 1 Chili Mac W/Beef.
- 1 Noodles W/Chicken.
- 4 Pasta Primavera (Really Good)

Total Pack Weight = approx. 58 lbs W/Rifle.

One of the biggest challenges when getting your pack ready is how to efficiently pack everything so it’s going to be easy to locate and repack should you need to. As you can see in the photo below there is a lot of gear here!

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/packspread.jpg

(All Of My Gear For 7 Days Sheep Hunting In The Mountains)

One of the best things I have found is to use those thin mesh draw string bags that so many camping/backpacking supply stores now carry. I can organize all of my gear into the mesh bags and it keeps everything together and packed as tightly as possible. The less volume your pack has the easier it is to navigate through heavy brush or tricky situations.

Here is a another photo of all the same gear but now I have reorganized my Clothes, Socks, and Food into the mesh bags. Look at the difference. It’s much more organized and makes it so much easier to handle when you are out in the field. The last thing you want to do is tear apart your bag and repack the mess while your out hunting or on your way to camp. When I am hiking I go non-stop until I reach where I am going.

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/packcondensed.jpg

When packing my pack I lay the food in the big mesh bag to your right on the bottom of my pack. I then put my clothes on top of them trying to keep the heavier items towards the center of the pack. I make sure everything is strapped down and the zippers are all closed, nothings hanging out anywhere.

Here are some photos of all of my gear packed up and ready to go. This backpack has some handy straps on the side that work excellent for carrying my rifle around. Usually I prefer to carry my rifle in my hands but sometimes when you are going up a steep climb or side hilling along a mountain creek it’s nice to have free hands. (My tent will be attached near the bottom via 2 large buckled straps)

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/packloaded.jpghttp://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/packloaded2.jpg

(Here is all my gear fully packed up and ready to hit the hills)

Carl

BCRiverBoater
01-17-2009, 12:33 PM
From the first post I would look at your stove. Is it pure propane? If so there are a ton of other stoves that are smaller and burn hotter with a propane/butane mix. Just a thought. Feet are your most important part of a mountain hunt. I wear a liner sock and good quality hiking sock like smart wool or something along those lines. I bring a few pairs of hiking socks and several pairs of the light liners. When my feet heat up and start to sweat I stop and change my liners. They dry fast so 3 pairs gets me through a day. I also pack a small bottle of New skin. If I get a hot spot, I stop, cool my feet, dry them and put on some new skin on the hot spot. Works for me but maybe not for everyone. But taking care of your feet is key to an enjoyable hunt. Know when they start to feel funny and you are getting a hot spot. Stop no matter what and take care of your feet. A bad blister will end your hunt.

I pack 2 base layers as they get damp but dry fast. Then one warmer layer and some rain gear. That id it for my clothes along with an extra pair of underwear and 3-4 liners and 3 pairs of hiking socks.

gbear
01-17-2009, 04:33 PM
What folks are saying about taking really good care of your feet is very important. There is a product called body glide. I know, it sounds funny, but It's made for runners doing long distances to prevent chaffing and blisters. I use it on all my long runs and it really works.

So, 2 years ago when we went sheep hunting I figured I would try it on a hunt. I started every day with rubbing some on my feet before putting my boots on. It worked, no blisters, and no hot spots the whole trip. Used it again last year, and same thing.

BCRiverBoater
01-17-2009, 05:05 PM
What folks are saying about taking really good care of your feet is very important. There is a product called body glide. I know, it sounds funny, but It's made for runners doing long distances to prevent chaffing and blisters. I use it on all my long runs and it really works.

So, 2 years ago when we went sheep hunting I figured I would try it on a hunt. I started every day with rubbing some on my feet before putting my boots on. It worked, no blisters, and no hot spots the whole trip. Used it again last year, and same thing.

Will surely look into this. Anything to help out ones feet. I have never had real problems but I pay close attention to my feet. Every break I take off my socks and cool my feet down and dry them off. If I ever feel a hot spot I stop immediately.

I will still take the bottle of new skin as it is only an inch and half tall and half an inch across. It is also good for any cuts you get as this is what it is truly intended for. My hands look like burger after a 10 day hunt.

d6dan
01-17-2009, 06:17 PM
BigWhiteys got it all covered. Now, for all who don't know. Thats the way sheep or goat hunting is...Oh ya I almost forgot...don't forget salt.

BCRiverBoater
01-18-2009, 12:46 AM
BigWhiteys

Almost an exact duplicate of my gear besides name brand etc. I only pack the video camera and use it for pics. I miss the camera sometimes but find it alright to use the video for stills. Clothing slightly different but same in weight. I use the bags as well. I use waterproof compression sack for all my clothes. The food goes in a light weight back as well. I just bought a jetboil so not sure how much fuel to bring but I was told by several that 2 small canister (the ones that fit in the cup) is plenty for 7-10 days for 2 people.

I do not pack a tarp but have thought I should for the nights I am to tired to set up tent. Would also come in handy for really bad weather.

What I like about your pack is 58 lbs with rifle is great because if you were with two people then you would shed some weight. You have the cameras, shelter, and stove/pots for two people. If a second was along you would shed almost 5 lbs most likely.

bigwhiteys
01-18-2009, 09:39 AM
What I like about your pack is 58 lbs with rifle is great because if you were with two people then you would shed some weight. You have the cameras, shelter, and stove/pots for two people. If a second was along you would shed almost 5 lbs most likely.

Sorry, forgot to factor in the weight of the Salt. It's actually approx. 62lbs, which is still very manageable. My partner and I don't split up much gear, as he's right around the same pack weight. He packs the vestibule for the tent, food, water, fuel.

This year I took two hiking poles instead of one... Made an amazing difference for me as I have knee problems from several years of playing Rugby.

I just bought a jetboil so not sure how much fuel to bring but I was told by several that 2 small canister (the ones that fit in the cup) is plenty for 7-10 days for 2 people.

I've had my Jetboil since they were first introduced several years ago... The little canisters are great, but I'd take one little one, and then one of the larger size cans. If the weather is cold, you'll go through more fuel. I try to keep the canisters underneath the foot of my sleeping bag so they stay warm. Performance wise for cooking freeze dries, there is nothing I've seen that works better, faster or easier then the Jetboil. Cool little piece of gear!

Carl

budismyhorse
01-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Salt, salt, salt. 2 - one litre bottles per shoulder cape. Not sure how much more for lifesize?

Sorry for the hijack.....maybe I should PM this.

Whitetailsheds,

That seems like a tremendous amount of salt to me.....maybe I'm way off, but do you mind going through your procedure to use this much salt? Are you applying it, washing it off, then re-ap? Or do you just continually hammer salt to it.

I used just over 1 pound of salt for my shoulder cape this year in early august and things were just fine. Am I risking it?

whitetailsheds
01-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Hey bud, last year I did get away with 2 - 500ml bottles for a sheep cape, but she was close. Another 500ml would do it. It was drained off and reapplied after being shaken onto a garbage bag. Like I say, it was tight and that extra 500 would have done that cape comfortably.
That 2 - 1 litre thing is alot.

SHACK
01-19-2009, 07:35 PM
I found a neet little space saver for last years sheep hunt that wound up being super usefull for other things as well.
They are called "TOWTABS"
Basically a compressed towelete! Comes in a roll like mento's or rollo's!! Just get em wet and whamo you have a STRONG, STURDY towel for your washing, or "wiping" needs, and as I said...total space saver! These things are tough too, you would be hard pressed to tear one, and they are realy absorbent, heck I used a few of them in a stack to get water daily from the little spring that weeped over a rock on the mountain I hunted (let em soak, then wrung out into my nalogene bottle)
You can pick em up at London drugs in the travel section where you buy the mini toothpaste, pit stick ect.
www.towtabs.com (http://www.towtabs.com)

Another space saver is TUFFLINE, this fishing line is unbelievably strong for its diameter, and wieghs nothing. I had 300' of 150lb. test wrapped arround a fuel bottle and it took no space at all! Just wrapped it between my black tape and duct tape that I had on the bottle already and I was good to go with tonnes of cord for camp and misc. uses.

Ziploc's were good for keeping & catching rain water in as well!

So many little things and pointers I got from people that made my hunt awsome, I hope these help

BCRiverBoater
01-19-2009, 11:44 PM
I found a neet little space saver for last years sheep hunt that wound up being super usefull for other things as well.
They are called "TOWTABS"
Basically a compressed towelete! Comes in a roll like mento's or rollo's!! Just get em wet and whamo you have a STRONG, STURDY towel for your washing, or "wiping" needs, and as I said...total space saver! These things are tough too, you would be hard pressed to tear one, and they are realy absorbent, heck I used a few of them in a stack to get water daily from the little spring that weeped over a rock on the mountain I hunted (let em soak, then wrung out into my nalogene bottle)
You can pick em up at London drugs in the travel section where you buy the mini toothpaste, pit stick ect.
www.towtabs.com (http://www.towtabs.com)

Another space saver is TUFFLINE, this fishing line is unbelievably strong for its diameter, and wieghs nothing. I had 300' of 150lb. test wrapped arround a fuel bottle and it took no space at all! Just wrapped it between my black tape and duct tape that I had on the bottle already and I was good to go with tonnes of cord for camp and misc. uses.

Ziploc's were good for keeping & catching rain water in as well!

So many little things and pointers I got from people that made my hunt awsome, I hope these help

May need to look into the line. 150lb test will tie anything to pack and most tarps if need be.

Funny how you mention tape on bottle. Me and a buddy buy a small can of foot deodorant and use it for feet at night and pits and crotch etc. Surprising how good it feels and how friendly it is for the tent. Feels like a shower. Anyways we have the can and take a few wraps of duct tape, white hockey tape (awesome bandage tape or skin tape) and a some electrical tape. You would be surprised how useful and well used that tape is. We have repaired tenst, rain gear, boots, cuts...you name it...priceless for the extra 10 ounces.

branthunter
01-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Get your doctor to give you a prescription for a broad spectrum antibiotic and a good strong painkiller (Tylenol with codeine, not just regular tylenol, is what I carried). A cut contaminated can send you home in a hurry if it gets infected and pain control for a variety of traumas and afflictions can make your recovery (or trip out if warranted) a lot more manageable.

Rob
01-20-2009, 11:17 AM
What is the best for water purifing?

PGK
01-20-2009, 02:01 PM
I like the drops. The pumps make the nicest water cause they don't distort the flavour, but I hate pumping water through those things for 10mins to get half a litre.

Stupid question, are you guys using sea salt or just regular old table salt?

whitetailsheds
01-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Regular old table salt.

bigwhiteys
01-21-2009, 10:50 AM

I sort of go by the rule that if it's high in the mountains, clear, and moving fairly quickly it's safe for me to drink. Others may experience different results!

If the water is stagnant, slow, murky, lots of floaties etc... Then I will treat it with the Pristine water drop system. It's light, it's cheap and it seems to work. It takes like a 1/2 hour to work though and they recommend you double the dosage if the water is really cold. I can definitely taste/smell the chemicals in the water when the dosage is doubled. Even though it's "safe" I still prefer drinking my water the way mother nature intended when available.

There are a number of cool gadgets on the market to filter water, I've looked into the MSR models, the "UV Pen" and some of the Katadyne filters as well and have yet to pull the trigger on something. The drops seem to work for now.

Carl

reddog888
01-21-2009, 11:02 AM
I stiil take a chance when im out. I do carry a prescription for Giardiasis ("beaver fever") that I got from my Dr.

BCrams
01-21-2009, 11:08 AM

I've been using this for years. Its great for backpacking vs water filters.

http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/expedition.asp

http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/images/miox_large.jpg

Rob
01-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Ive been looking at the Katadyn Hiker, but not sure if this is a slow process(pumping) compared to other products on the market. Rob

Brambles
01-21-2009, 12:30 PM
msr sweetwater, lightweight and one of the faster ones

Kody94
01-21-2009, 01:00 PM

I picked up one of these last year. It is BLAZING fast. Threw my old Sweetwater in the garbage.

http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/hyperflow.asp

http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/images/hyperflow_large.jpg (http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/images/hyperflow_xl.jpg)

Kody94
01-21-2009, 01:10 PM
If you are over 35 (or not in as good of condition as you should be), make sure to take some good anti-inflammatories (Advil Extra Strength is what I prefer). Makes a huge difference for little muscle or joint flare ups, or a stiff back, etc.

Pains me to be old enough to consider giving this advice. :)

Salty
01-21-2009, 01:40 PM
If you are over 35 (or not in as good of condition as you should be), make sure to take some good anti-inflammatories (Advil Extra Strength is what I prefer). Makes a huge difference for little muscle or joint flare ups, or a stiff back, etc.

Pains me to be old enough to consider giving this advice. :)

Good advice SSSter. Another issue that can screw up a trip big time is muscle cramping. This was never an issue for me but now in my tall 40s instead of plain old pain from hard hiking, sometimes I get muscle cramps - usually a couple of hours after the hike ends. This can get so bad a guy can hardly move for a while. ..

I learned a simple and effective treatment for this from an old tree planter. Take a small jar of Tums tablets with you. They're loaded with calcium carbonate which your muscles are craving when cramped up. I find a couple 3 tums will get rid of bad cramping within a half an hour. Or better yet chew a couple every morning before you go hiking if your are prone to cramping and it won't even happen. :smile:

Brambles
01-21-2009, 01:57 PM
I picked up one of these last year. It is BLAZING fast. Threw my old Sweetwater in the garbage.

http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/images/hyperflow_large.jpg (http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/images/hyperflow_xl.jpg)

WOW gotta check that one out for sure, great weight and flow specs

kootenayelkslayer
01-21-2009, 02:07 PM

Hmm I'll have to look into this too. I picked up some kind of parasite this summer and have never been the same since :s

Kody94
01-21-2009, 03:19 PM
WOW gotta check that one out for sure, great weight and flow specs

It fills my 1L nalgene bottle in less than 30 seconds, including deploying the filter!

Stone Sheep Steve
01-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Hmm I'll have to look into this too. I picked up some kind of parasite this summer and have never been the same since :s

Got to be careful when you cough or sneeze, eh??:redface:

Getting something like that "once" is too many times.

SSS