PDA

View Full Version : Buying GPS

Knobbies
01-16-2009, 05:35 PM
A friend is selling his Garmin 60CS, as he's upgrading to the 60csx. He wants $150 for the 60CS -- is that a fair price? It comes loaded with Garmin topography and Garmin Cities & Streets maps.

I've never used a GPS, this would be my first one. Thanks!

Steeleco
01-16-2009, 07:44 PM
It's a fair deal, especially since it's loaded with the maps. I'd worry about being to update the software if your not the original owner, but the maps in there will be all you'll need.

A real good unit to learn on if you the least bit computer savy!!!

husky30-06
01-16-2009, 10:06 PM
is that the "60CS" or the 60CX? I'll be ordering a 60CX very soon and am looking at about $300..... garmin has the map60 at $250 and the 60CX at $350. garmin does not list a "60CS"??????

BlacktailStalker
01-16-2009, 11:09 PM
I'd jump on it.
Why would he go to the Csx, thats not really an upgrade.
Maybe if he went to the Colorado, otherwards its kind of pointless...
Oh well score for you !

Knobbies
01-16-2009, 11:09 PM
It's a 60cs, a discontinued model. You can find it on Garmin's site trough a google search.

BlacktailStalker
01-16-2009, 11:11 PM
I have the cs knobbies, its an excellent gps, my bro has the csx, no "useful" differences imo.

husky30-06
01-16-2009, 11:17 PM
been looking them over for the past week or so, the CX and CSX really is not much, the CX has everything you need and cheaper. go for it as a replacement one would be pricey.

Stresd
01-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Good deal. The only major difference being that the CSX has electronic Compass and Barometric altimeter. Features I like.
http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/60seriescomparison.htm

zedex
01-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Thats a good deal. The CS is an excellent gps. I just sold my CS to a friend in Coquitlam with all the same maps etc for a CSX and i wish i hadn't. My CSX is a total POS and is in for repairs "again". Your friend wouldn't be Chris would it?

As a note. The CS has a limited memory for maps i think its 64k. So keep that in mind. You can still fit sh1t loads on it( i think about 1/8 of B.C) but not all of Canada like the CSX.

Knobbies
01-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all the info guys.

The reason he wants to upgrade is for better coverage (which he says is spotty in tall trees on the cs) and swappable memory cards. I'll probably want to upgrade at some point myself, but for now this should be an economical way to get into GPS-ing and figure out what features I need and don't need.

Stresd: it looks like the CS does have compass & altimeter; it looks like that model isn't on your comparison link. Here is the link to the 60cs on Garmin's site: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6447#featureTab. I think you were looking at the GPS60, which is not discontinued but has fewer features than the CS.

Zedex: no, his name's not Chris. :)

I think I'll probably pick it up this weekend. It's looking really like the question is whether to go with an older discontinued higher-end model, or a brand new lower end model... 60cs has all the bells & whitstles, whereas newer models would lack the compass and colour display but have better coverage and more memory, and still be a good $50 more at least.

Thanks again!

Phil
01-17-2009, 11:07 AM
I have garmin cs, my brother has a csx. Mine does everything his does and I spend a lot less time messing around with memory cards. I upload the maps for the areas that I am hunting plus a few around the perimiter just in case and have never needed the extra memory. I think your getting a hell of a deal. You'll won't need to upgrade as long a the unit works. The coverage or reception issue has rarely caused me any grief and always quickly resolves itself.

zedex
01-17-2009, 12:23 PM
The main difference between the CS and CSX are .
The Cs will acquire satellites in about 45 seconds where the CSX will acquire in about 15. Cs has in internal memory chip of IIRC 64k where the CSX has removable chip up to 2 gig. The screen refreshes a little quicker on the CSX. The CS has an alarm clock. The CSX doesn't. The CS will lose satellite reception in heavily treed areas or in buildings. The CSX will not.
Thats about it for differences.
I never had a problem with my CS as that thing was rock solid. Keep in mind Topo Canada is about $150 and metroguide is about $115. Thats a great deal on the CS.