PDA

View Full Version : snuck in close for a Buck Fawn pic

horshur
01-16-2009, 04:19 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_0360.jpg

he died in his sleep last night. Looks like starvation. Very hollow through the back and small...one the coyotes didn't get to yet. kinda early for this if you ask me...we do have brutal snow conditions

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_0364.jpg

and my hiking buddy
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_0365.jpg

MattB
01-16-2009, 04:24 PM
That sucks! Hopefully we get a fast melt in February/March!

Mr. Dean
01-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Poor buggar. You're right in saying the snow levels are crazy right now. We'll likely hear more of this.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks for sharing a little of the cruel side of Mother Nature with us, Andy.
She can be a mean beetch sometimes..

SSS

BlacktailStalker
01-16-2009, 04:30 PM
I've found one the same size as well as a doe in the last couple days.
It does seem early for these deaths.
Thats too bad.

We have almost have the same amount of snow at all elevations right now, definitely not the norm.
Low land deer are suffering the worst but maybe higher elevation deer will do better, time will tell.

houndogger
01-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Found a dead little one in my barn yesterday.

muley kid
01-16-2009, 05:21 PM
with the snow levels this year i suggest you guys stay home to put less pressure on the deer.. they already have enough problems let them be for a bit eh! just my thoughts tho

drakfero
01-16-2009, 05:32 PM
guys , everytime you go out , take some apples , potatoes , or something to feed them. when they die we will not have a to chase them by hunting

steelheadSABO
01-16-2009, 05:56 PM
throw some hay in the forest

Jetboater
01-16-2009, 05:59 PM
I found two like that this year already as well.. both blacktails in thaat cold spell we had... aslo found a doe at the bottom of a mud slide only thing sticking out was the head...

one-shot-wonder
01-16-2009, 06:06 PM
with the snow levels this year i suggest you guys stay home to put less pressure on the deer.. they already have enough problems let them be for a bit eh! just my thoughts tho

Maybe they were out looking for Cats or dogs??? :roll: If you ask me there is no better way to help the deer out then by doing some predator control.....:neutral:

Thanks for the pics!

Will
01-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Poor little bugger......:sad:

Oh well Dogs gotta eat too I suppose.

Interesting find Andy, thanks for the look.

Jelvis
01-16-2009, 07:18 PM
--This is January and the killing month is March so there will be lots of dead deer this spring. Feb and March are the snow months and will kill. Malnutrition from lowered food value and no strength to paw away the compacted snow and too short for the little ones to reach the limbs means death by mother nature.
Scavengers will profit from this.
Jel---Mother nature's cruel sometimes.

blackbart
01-16-2009, 11:19 PM
Andy, this particular fawn looks very small for this time of year. Perhaps a camera angle misjudgement or a late fawn? Late born fawns, and post rut mature bucks fairly poorly during deep snow years.

Apples and potatos are dubious food sources at best. If some person really wanted to try and feed Mule Deer during the winter providing some fresh douglas-fir bows would likely be a better technique to utilize. Just exactly how the needle ladden branches get to the ground is up to you:) Falling green trees is not welcomed by the forest service, pruning branches that are normally out of reach to the deer will likely not raise any concern.

It always amazes me to see the amount of deer feeding on freshly dropped douglas-fir foilage during the winter.

hunter1947
01-17-2009, 06:43 AM
Winter kill takes alot of animals ,and this is one of them ,to bad.

horshur
01-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Andy, this particular fawn looks very small for this time of year. Perhaps a camera angle misjudgement or a late fawn? Late born fawns, and post rut mature bucks fairly poorly during deep snow years.

yeh he is a little bugger....

knockturnal
01-17-2009, 05:46 PM
there was a calf moose that died here on the outskirts of kelowna the other day. lady found it in her yard and it buggered off and died in amidst of a bunch of houses.

hannibal
01-18-2009, 09:39 PM
better tell David Suzuki about this, he could make a plea to governments to warm up parts of the planet to prevent winter kill. Seriously it sucks but that's life.