PDA

View Full Version : Ling fishin

rocksteady
01-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Went out last night for a few hours, ice fishing for ling.....Never done it before...

Met up with a couple of old timers who had a couple 3 pounders and a nice 7 lber...

They left and we (3 of us) each caught a ling...

MIne was the largest, a hair under 5 pounds

another was bang on 4 and the third was just under 3....

Big ole fish and chips feed tonite....:smile::smile::smile:

Got pics, but not sure if any of them are acceptable to post...Took the pics after bleeding the fish out...

huntergirl270
01-16-2009, 01:07 PM
NICE!

My grampa has a cabin up in Egmont and as a kid I fished like crazy and caught tons of ling/blue ling, rock cod and unfortunately dogfish. We had a certain spot we went to near the skukumchuk (sp?) up there. Our old indian friend who lives up there would take us out and show us how to line up the islands with the point by the rapids and EVERY time we pulled huge lings.
He also gave us a recipe for sweet and sour cod that was great. I prefer good ol' fish and chips with beer batter myself though

Your post has brought back some great memories. My grampa is getting on in years and spends most of his time in Palm Desert at one of his other places so we don't see him as much. I think I will call him tonite.
Thanks for your post ! Maybe I'll be able to plan a trip up to his cabin with him sometime this year :)

BiG Boar
01-16-2009, 01:11 PM
SHOW US PICS!!! please?

Stone Sheep Steve
01-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Got pics, but not sure if any of them are acceptable to post...Took the pics after bleeding the fish out...

Cut the vein at the base of the tail?? That's what we used to do. Makes for nice white meat.
Need to get my kids out there trying that.....maybe when it warms up.....in 6 months:-(.

SSS

rocksteady
01-16-2009, 01:26 PM
IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY THE SITE OF BLOOD, DO NOT PROCEED ANY FURTHER.....

I was told to humanely kill the ling, you use a knife to rupture the heart (between teh front fins), as well as by bleeding them out, the meat tastes better (not sure if this is true).....

Bottom to top - 3, 4 and 5 lber approx....5 lber was 33" in length...from nose to tail

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/rocksteadyrifle/fishin/Picture007.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/rocksteadyrifle/fishin/DSC00689.jpg

huntergirl270
01-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Those look different than what I have caught. Are they freshwater?

Ddog
01-16-2009, 01:38 PM
yes huntergirl270,,they are the freshwater ling also called BURBOT

huntergirl270
01-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Do they taste the same as the ugly buggers that we catch in saltwater?

rocksteady
01-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Do they taste the same as the ugly buggers that we catch in saltwater?

Yes, very bland white fish.....Thats the reason I love them, easier to flavour something up (ling) as compared to trying to cover up the flavour (trout and salmon)....

BiG Boar
01-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Ice fishing then! Sweet.

PGK
01-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Nice fish dude. A better way to bleed them, for the best meat, is to whack off the last 2'' of the tail

Stone Sheep Steve
01-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Nice fish dude. A better way to bleed them, for the best meat, is to whack off the last 2'' of the tail

Did that and caught another one 1/2 hour later with the tail in his mouth. Must have just sucked it up.

SSS

rocksteady
01-17-2009, 02:08 PM

The guy who is teaching me the ropes told me that both ways will bleed them out, however, in his opinion, there is less suffering by slicing the heart wide open.....

I don't know which is better, for quality of meat or less suffering, just going by what my Ling Mentor is teaching me...

goatdancer
01-17-2009, 02:50 PM
rocksteady

Where are you catching these things? I'm not looking to poach your spot because it's way too far to drive for a few fish, just curious. We used to ice fish for them in Christina Lake many years ago. It was very productive then. The best area was at Balfour fishing off an anchored boat. Used to have to be careful of the ferry. The burbot there got really wacked by overfishing, especially by the non-residents, and was basically ruined for everybody. Used to get them up to 10 - 12 lbs.

Chuck
01-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Next to Walleye, these are great, provided your taste buds are dormant!