PDA

View Full Version : Tuchodi River

gone hunting
01-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Have any of you been up the Tuchodi River in the last few years? I've heard it's getting a little crowded. Any input would be appreciated.

BCRiverBoater
01-16-2009, 02:22 AM
It is always busy...if anything may be less traffic the last few years with lots of boats hitting the Kechika. Now the Turnagain is also open for the 10 day season so the Tuchodi pressure may be less.

It is a busy place but lots of areas to hunt and lots of game.

bridger
01-16-2009, 03:17 AM
We have been hunting the tuchodi since 1985 on a more or less regular basis. Early in the season we see few other hunters or boats. most traffic is as expected during the hot part of the rut. after that traffic dies down again. riverboater is correct when he says the elk seasons on the kechika and turnagin have taken some of the pressure off the tuchodi. those rivers are a little bigger and easier to run. the tuchodi can be tricky in low water. one thing I have noticed in recent years is that most of the elk seem to be further from the river during the season. expect a couple miles hike. lots of elk, but antler growth for tuchodi bulls is less than the kootenays or kechika or turnagin. biggest bull we have taken over the years was a 334 and only two or three others over 300 good luck

David Heitsman
01-17-2009, 12:34 AM
That cow hunt the last couple years has pushed the elk back even further from the river.

Gateholio
01-17-2009, 02:27 AM
Just a guess, but I bet the elk and moose have figured out that the river is like a road :)

Deaddog
01-17-2009, 08:40 AM
I have been up there for the past 10 years or so, the river is like a road and as a general rule the animals stay away, late season hunts will see them coming down closer to the river but water is a major concern for those boating on the river, if you are willing to do some hiking there is plenty of game to be found.