PDA

View Full Version : Now an archer

Prowler
01-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Got a bow for Xmas from a friend that had to switch to a lefty because of an accident. My first bow. havin fun with it. Am able to put 6 arrows in about a 2 " circle at 10 yards, and about a 4 " at 20 yards...
Allready lookin at all the latest gizmos.... (Thanks Joanne:???:)
Man there is way more toys for bow hunting, than there is for gun hunting.:-D

farside
01-15-2009, 12:44 PM
yep. Big fun. Lots more opportunity to spend money. Like I need an excuse lol.

OOBuck
01-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Got a bow for Xmas from a friend that had to switch to a lefty because of an accident. My first bow. havin fun with it. Am able to put 6 arrows in about a 2 " circle at 10 yards, and about a 4 " at 20 yards...
Allready lookin at all the latest gizmos.... (Thanks Joanne:???:)
Man there is way more toys for bow hunting, than there is for gun hunting.:-D

Next you need to try 3D shoots.. One this weekend in Parksville

BlacktailStalker
01-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Big blacktails with a bow now eh Prowler ? Nice work.
I love bow hunting.
The best part is it gives you an excuse to scout all year (runways) and hunt 2 weeks ealier than anyone else :)
By fall you'll easily have it dialed in!

jrjonesy
01-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Good to hear you're enjoying it and seem to have the knack. Lots of experienced archers on this site to draw on. You'll love the 3d shoots.

Prowler
01-16-2009, 12:28 AM
sounds kool, I will have to look in to it. I picked up a small bow for my daughter as well. A Lil, Banshee. She loves it... Nice to be able to go out in the back yard and practice....

Prowler
01-16-2009, 05:44 PM
As I said, I a newby to the game. How much speed/power does a bow loose if you crank it down from 70 lbs to 50 lbs.?

Dragginbait
01-16-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm shooting mine at 57 #s and I dare anything in the deer family to walk away from a properly placed shot. It'll poke holes in anything you want it to.
Come try out the 3D on sunday, it's basically "redneck golf".

Prowler
01-17-2009, 08:46 AM
"Redneck Golf":-D:-D I dont care who you are, thats funny right there!!!
Where is it at?

jrjonesy
01-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Before cranking your bow down too much, check the manual. There are bows out there with a good range of draw weight adjustments but most of them are set for about 10 lbs adjustment. You may get a 70 lb bow down to around 57 lbs safely. I think the manufacturers usually warn that you don't do more than about 4 full turns of the limb screws from their tightened down position.

From the same bow, 20 lbs in draw weight adjustment will make a pretty significant change in the speed. That being said, 50 lbs draw weight is PLENTY for big game animals. I personally shoot more draw weight (68 lbs) because more speed means a flatter arrow trajectory which means if I make a 5 yard error in distance judgement it has little effect.

Dragginbait
01-17-2009, 10:14 AM
"Redneck Golf":-D:-D I dont care who you are, thats funny right there!!!
Where is it at?
It's an indoor shoot at the pentcostal hall in Nanoose. Sign in is at 8:30 and OObuck and myself are heading up from Victoria to take a stab at it. It's from 5- 20 yards, so you should be fine. It doesn't matter if your experienced at it, it's all for fun. I've only been to a couple of them so far and plan on a lot more.

I just hope I can get the golf cart through the front door.:wink:

Prowler
01-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Had to go to my daughters hockey game this morning. How was it?