PDA

View Full Version : Black Creek Packs

358mag
01-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Was at Grouse River Outfitters store in Kelowna last weekend < great place lots of super nice stuff>
Looking at the Black Creek "Jim Sockey Yukon" Pack nice looking hard core frame + bag anyone used one yet or ????

reddog888
01-14-2009, 09:52 PM
What's the price? Ive been looking at them online..

BlacktailStalker
01-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Shockey uses an argo in the yukon :biggrin:

358mag
01-15-2009, 07:03 PM
What's the price? Ive been looking at them online..
$399.00 frame with the pack
Grouse River just had a frame in stock very nice looking super strong welded aluim frame real nice shoulder-hip belt harrness system the only down side is that the frame with pack is 11.5 lbs

gbear
01-15-2009, 07:31 PM
I looked at one of those last year. They look well built and very large capacity. I was looking for a new pack for a backpack sheep hunt, so the 11.5 pound when empty caused me to not buy it in the end.

kebes
01-15-2009, 07:42 PM
are those the ones made out of Kamloops???

Bow Walker
01-15-2009, 08:16 PM
I just ordered a Diablo Day Pack by Badlands....I hope it lives up to its billing..........or, I may be following in your footsteps.

todbartell
01-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Diablo's are awesome, you will love it

reddog888
01-15-2009, 08:30 PM
No there out of the US. The wilderness wonderer in from the loops?

kebes
01-15-2009, 08:46 PM
The wilderness wanderer sounds right....I looked at one of those, it was a pretty dandy pack, $500.00 I believe.

325 wsm
01-15-2009, 09:36 PM
The wilderness wanderer packs are awesome, especially when you have a heavy load. Shockey's packs look like they have the same frame. When you sit down the bars hold up the pack instead of pulling you over backwards like other packs so you can actually relax without taking the pack off. Only ever guided 1 moose where the hind quarter wouldn't slide into the bag.

reddog888
01-15-2009, 09:38 PM
What would be the better choice? My internal frame isnt going to cut it anymore....

GrouseRiver
01-15-2009, 09:52 PM
The Yukon is an excellent and very sturdy pack, the Black's Creek gear is of outstanding quality. Depending on how soon you need the pack, and without letting the cat out of the bag so to speak, you may wish to hold on just a short while. If a 1 lb. 9 oz. ergonomic and collapsible frame combined with a swivelling gun holder that allows retrieval of your firearm without removing your pack sound appealing to you... then read on. The combination of a T6 eliptical frame, titanium quick release assembly, and 3500 ci bag will redefine the way you look at frame packs.

Of course the incredible combination of the Grouse River GRantee and the Badlands warranty ensure a lifetime of service. Watch GrouseRiver.com over the next month or so. Of course like anything good there will be a wait as we anticipate a mid-year release. Backorders will be accepted as soon as the product hits our site.

Dirty
01-15-2009, 10:00 PM
I heard from the owner of a reputable store that he had some of the Shockey packs come back with broken welds in the frame. The owner had no reason to lie to me. I was casually looking at the pack and he told me to stay away from it. I like Badlands, they have a great warranty. I just picked up a Tatonka frame, I couldn't lose for the price I paid for it. I have an Eberlestock J107, it is a very dynamic and comfortable pack. To each his own though.

GoatGuy
01-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Was at Grouse River Outfitters store in Kelowna last weekend < great place lots of super nice stuff>
Looking at the Black Creek "Jim Sockey Yukon" Pack nice looking hard core frame + bag anyone used one yet or ????

Quad rack?

358mag
01-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Quad rack?
No strut rack for the Super Cub !!!!

GoatGuy
01-17-2009, 06:39 PM
No strut rack for the Super Cub !!!!

right on....

BCRiverBoater
01-18-2009, 12:52 AM
The wilderness wanderer sounds right....I looked at one of those, it was a pretty dandy pack, $500.00 I believe.

Great pack but if you look at all the threads on here over the years there is one MAJOR FLAW. They break down fast and repairs in the mountains become the norm. Most users say they have needed to reinforce the straps, clips and zippers. Other than that a very comfortable pack.

Dirty
01-20-2009, 05:34 PM
There are lots of good threads on here about all different kinds of packs. Just do a search. Shack, how long of a trip did you use your 4500 on? To me, they are just too small for an extended trip (10-14 days in the backcountry). With all the gear, they don't leave that much extra room for cape and meat. Talked to an experiece goat and sheep hunter that used one and said he really had to cut back on gear and minimize to make it work.

reddog888
01-20-2009, 05:39 PM
There are lots of good threads on here about all different kinds of packs. Just do a search. Shack, how long of a trip did you use your 4500 on? To me, they are just too small for an extended trip (10-14 days in the backcountry). With all the gear, they don't leave that much extra room for cape and meat. Talked to an experiece goat and sheep hunter that used one and said he really had to cut back on gear and minimize to make it work.

I guess that would be one way of cutting back on wieght....:idea:

SHACK
01-20-2009, 05:45 PM
I wound up packing for 9 days, but was prep'd for 11. I probably could have stayed for 14 with what I packed up. Yes, its not a monster pack, but with everything thought out well, and purchased with space and wieght in mind there was lots of extra room. Thats with nothing on the exterior of the pack as well. There was lots of extras that went in even after this pic was taken

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s304/sachaszymczak/DSC_0012.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s304/sachaszymczak/DSC_0017.jpg

BCbillies
01-20-2009, 06:18 PM
I wound up packing for 9 days, but was prep'd for 11. I probably could have stayed for 14 with what I packed up. Yes, its not a monster pack, but with everything thought out well, and purchased with space and wieght in mind there was lots of extra room. Thats with nothing on the exterior of the pack as well. There was lots of extras that went in even after this pic was taken

Did you pack out with a load of meat and cape or just your gear? Did you have a partner on the trip to share the gear? I've had partners with smaller packs but guess who ends up with the heavy pack! ;-)

SHACK
01-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Yup, I had a partner on the hunt....my wife!! So you can full well guess who carried the brunt of the gear. I will tip my hat to the wife though, she packed a WW that weighed in right at 45lbs even.
I packed all essentials, and she took care of her own gear, food, clothing, sleeping bag, thermarest, and SLR camera.

Nope, although I saw plenty of sheep and some great rams, my shooting had something left to be desired! Clean misses at 120yrds! I would have had plenty of room for cape, horns, and meet should I have downed an animal after my food was done and stashed, as well as putting a couple of items on the exterior of the bag.
What you don't see is that the bag actually stands about 8-10 inches taller if you don't roll the top down underneath the cap.

BTW,

Sorry 358, not trying to highjack your thread, but thats the way it goes.

Sitkaspruce
01-20-2009, 08:14 PM
I have the "Canadian" it is an amazing pack for day trip to weekend trips. It is compressable from 2200 ci to 3800ci. It packed out my elk, including the bone in rear quarters with no problem. Lots of storage and compartments.

Well made, very comfortable and easy to adjust.

http://www.blacks-creek.com/jimhorn-canadian.php

Not sure about the Shockey stuff though.

Cheers

SS

Caveman
01-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Yup, I had a partner on the hunt....my wife!! So you can full well guess who carried the brunt of the gear. I will tip my hat to the wife though, she packed a WW that weighed in right at 45lbs even.
I packed all essentials, and she took care of her own gear, food, clothing, sleeping bag, thermarest, and SLR camera.

Nope, although I saw plenty of sheep and some great rams, my shooting had something left to be desired! Clean misses at 120yrds! I would have had plenty of room for cape, horns, and meet should I have downed an animal after my food was done and stashed, as well as putting a couple of items on the exterior of the bag.
What you don't see is that the bag actually stands about 8-10 inches taller if you don't roll the top down underneath the cap.

BTW,

Sorry 358, not trying to highjack your thread, but thats the way it goes.

Care to PM me where you were!! :wink: