PDA

View Full Version : BC Slam has anyone here done it?

riflebuilder
01-13-2009, 08:12 AM
I was just wondering if anyone here has shot one of all the species available in BC. That would be a great accomplishment and worthy of note.

The list to make it more of a challenge should include the major sub species as well the cats too.

So here is the list:

Shiras Moose :)
Canadian Moose
Rocky Mountain Elk :)
Rosevelt Elk
Columbian Black Tail :)
Sitka Black Tail
Whitetail Deer :)
Mule Deer :)
Fallow Deer :)
Black Bear (mainland) :)
Black Bear (QCI or VI) :)
Mountain Goat :)
Mountain caribou :)
Grizzly Bear :)
California Bighorn Sheep
Rocky Mnt. Bighorn Sheep
Stone's Sheep
Dahl's Sheep
Wolf
Cyotee :)
Cougar
Lynx
Bobcat

23 game animal in the slam I have 12 hmmmm..... next year it is Sitka Blacktails on the QCI's with maybe a trip for stone's again before the knees are gone.

BiG Boar
01-13-2009, 08:19 AM
pfff, the question should be...who hasnt. If you want this thread to go anywhere that is.

Gateholio
01-13-2009, 09:17 AM
The real question- WHo has done it all in one year?:biggrin:

I'd say a guy would have to be pretty well prepped to do it in one season!:biggrin:

Prowler
01-13-2009, 09:27 AM
do you think fallows should be on the list? An introduced species that now only live on private property. Could end up with a pretty unattainable list if we start including species like that
P.S. I have 9 on the list.....:grin:

7mag700
01-13-2009, 09:28 AM

I'd say a guy would have to be pretty well prepped to do it in one season!:biggrin:

Now THAT would be a feat. (Of course, if I was to pull off a 'BC slam' over the course of 20 years THAT would be a feat too lol).

7m7

Caveman
01-13-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm at 7 as well, but this has never been a goal of mine but maybe it could be

Everett
01-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Suprised to find I am sitting at 9:shock: with plans of knocking off two more this year. I agree fallow deer should not be on the list as a non native deer.

Prowler
01-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Are Island black bear a diff species from mainland blackbear?:shock:

Just looked it and yes they are....

stickbow
01-13-2009, 10:03 AM
What about the wolverine should he not be on the list as well?

hunter1947
01-13-2009, 10:07 AM
I have taken my fair share of the animals listed on the list over my hunting years.

Caveman
01-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Are Island black bear a diff species from mainland blackbear?:shock:

Yes, due to the ferry costs

bighornbob
01-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Whers bison???

BHB

Sitkaspruce
01-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Why are the BB's different?? Is it because of the Safari Club standards??

I am up to 12 on the list, but pretty sure that it will not go much higher. Any more sheep are pretty well out of the question, due to bad knees. Maybe a lynx or bobcat and maybe, just maybe a QCI trip for the deer., but that is about it.

Oh hell maybe even a cougar.....:shock::wink:

Cheers

SS

Stone Sheep Steve
01-13-2009, 10:21 AM
By the way it's "Dall's" not "Dahl's". Dahl's are another kind of sheep that don't live here in BC.

I'm at 12 since you used the term "shot" and not "tagged" (don't worry.....it did not involve any kind of poaching):wink:. If we're talking "tagged" then I'm at 11....but since we don't have to tag "dogs" I guess "shot" is more appropriate.

done
-muley
-whitey
-canada moose
-caribou
-RM elk
-mtn goat
-RM bighorn
-Cali bighorn
-Stone
-black bear(inland)
-yote
-grizz(put a couple of bullet holes in two of them..tag in my pocket but partners tagged them)

No cats yet or anything from the coastal areas.

SSS

PGK
01-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Bison, at least the ones we can hunt, are introduced as well.

BCHunterFSJ
01-13-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm also up to 12 species. Really need a California Bighorn to complete my BC Sheep Slam...

rocksteady
01-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Shiras Moose - Yep
Canadian Moose
Rocky Mountain Elk - Yep
Rosevelt Elk
Columbian Black Tail - Yep
Sitka Black Tail
Whitetail Deer - Yep
Mule Deer - Yep
Fallow Deer
Black Bear (mainland) -Yep
Black Bear (QCI or VI) - Yep
Mountain Goat -Yep
Mountain caribou
Grizzly Bear -Yep
California Bighorn Sheep
Rocky Mnt. Bighorn Sheep
Stone's Sheep
Dahl's Sheep
Wolf
Coyote -Yep
Cougar
Lynx
Bobcat

10 by my count...

Kody94
01-13-2009, 11:57 AM

Prepped for a large fine, loss of his hunting gear, rifle and vehicle, and maybe even some time at the crowbar hotel!

Kody94
01-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Shiras Moose :icon_frow
Canadian Moose :smile:
Rocky Mountain Elk :smile:
Rosevelt Elk :icon_frow
Columbian Black Tail :icon_frow
Sitka Black Tail :icon_frow
Whitetail Deer :smile:
Mule Deer :smile:

Black Bear (mainland) :smile:
Black Bear (QCI or VI) :icon_frow
Mountain Goat :smile:
Mountain caribou :icon_frow
Grizzly Bear :icon_frow:icon_frow
California Bighorn Sheep :icon_frow
Rocky Mnt. Bighorn Sheep :icon_frow
Stone's Sheep :biggrin:
Dall's Sheep :icon_frow
Wolf :icon_frow
Coyote :smile:
Cougar :icon_frow
Lynx :icon_frow
Bobcat :icon_frow

Caveman
01-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Bison, at least the ones we can hunt, are introduced as well.

But at least they are native to this continent

That would give 8 as a total

01-13-2009, 12:04 PM

It's impossible, one can only shoot one mountain sheep per year in BC.

Kody94
01-13-2009, 12:09 PM

Unless you get a Special Sheep Draw...then two, as one fella on this site did a couple years ago.

Still leaves a couple sheep, a moose, and an elk (maybe special elk draw?) that you'd have trouble getting within legal bag limits.

huntcoop
01-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Maybe a FN discussion will rear its evil head.

PGK
01-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Maybe a FN discussion will rear its evil head.

Maybe we should talk about your methamphetamine use at the same time

???????????????????????????????????????

:confused::confused::confused:

huntcoop
01-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Maybe we should talk about your methamphetamine use at the same time

???????????????????????????????????????

:confused::confused::confused:

That's a bold assumption.

tomahawk
01-13-2009, 02:37 PM
I have harvested 14 of the 23, of the 9 left to harvest, 4 of the species listed I have no desire to ever kill so that leaves me with 5 to go.

Mtnhunter
01-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Shiras Moose
Canadian Moose:smile:
Rocky Mountain Elk :smile:
Rosevelt Elk
Columbian Black Tail :smile:
Sitka Black Tail
Whitetail Deer :smile:
Mule Deer :smile:
Fallow Deer :smile:
Black Bear (mainland) :smile:
Black Bear (QCI or VI) :smile:
Mountain Goat
Mountain caribou :smile:
Grizzly Bear
California Bighorn Sheep
Rocky Mnt. Bighorn Sheep
Stone's Sheep :smile:
Dahl's Sheep
Wolf :smile:
Cyotee :smile:
Cougar :smile:
Lynx
Bobcat

13 and counting!!!!

riflebuilder
01-13-2009, 06:29 PM
I am sorry forgot the Bison if they are in the regs with a hunting season they should be on the list.

hunter1947
01-13-2009, 06:34 PM
I will never get to the GS because I adore the rest of them and will never shoot the rest that I have not got.

Will
01-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Hasn't Jim Shockey done this with a Muzzle Loader ? or was that North American game or ??? I dunno, I'm drunk agauiin:?

leadpillproductions
01-13-2009, 06:50 PM
im at 11 soon to get some sheep

tomahawk
01-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Hasn't Jim Shockey done this with a Muzzle Loader ? or was that North American game or ??? I dunno, I'm drunk agauiin:?

Jim is the only hunter, with a muzzle loader, to have harvested the "Ultimate Slam" which is the 30 big game animals of North America, all of which must make the record book.

Dirty
01-13-2009, 08:49 PM
How can this be considered a BC Slam? It includes introduced species and species that are not classified as Big Game Animals. Change it to how many people have legally harvested every species allowable under the BC Regulations. A BC Slam in my opinion, would be native species that are considered Big Game animals. However, I agree with the subcategories of native species organized by subspecies.

Gateholio
01-13-2009, 09:32 PM

I'd be impressed with just one type of sheep if the rest on the list was taken...:tongue:

mwj
01-13-2009, 10:00 PM
moose(shiras):biggrin:
moose(canada):biggrin:
elk(rky mtn):biggrin:
elk(rosie):biggrin:
columbian blacktail:biggrin:
sitka:(
whitetail:biggrin:
muledeer:biggrin:
fallow:biggrin:
black bear(mainland):biggrin:
black bear(island):(
goat:biggrin:
caribou:biggrin:
grizz:(
california:biggrin:
rocky:biggrin:
stone:biggrin:
dall:biggrin:
wolf:(
coyote:biggrin:
cougar:(
lynx:(
bobcat:(
bison:(
i'd like to win another grizzly tag, bison would be good too!

Will
01-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Jim is the only hunter, with a muzzle loader, to have harvested the "Ultimate Slam" which is the 30 big game animals of North America, all of which must make the record book.
Knew I was close....Thanks for the refresher :grin:

boxhitch
01-15-2009, 07:00 AM
What about the wolverine should he not be on the list as well? Agreed, it should be included.

Shockeys working on the North American 28. Maybe done ?

Stone Sheep Steve
01-15-2009, 07:09 AM
Agreed, it should be included.

Didn't he finish with his Rocky in the E Koots?? I remember reading a story somewhere but, of course, can't remember the details all that well.:roll:

SSS

Kody94
01-15-2009, 08:26 AM

All of which make "a" record book. ;)

proguide66
01-15-2009, 09:35 AM

When you get into ' checklist hunting' , the guy with the most $ wins......guided dozens of em....take note , Jim was guided to most of his animals.

I , personally , would have HUGE respect for the ' regular joe resident ' who had a regular job , pay , vacation time ,wife/kids and pulled off the 'list' of trophy's mentioned !!.......
Sadly , most the ' checklist hunters' I have guided over the years seem to have lost the passion for the ' whole deal' and mainly focus on the tape measure/ getting their ass's outta there after the kill to rush home and win the ' pissing contest' .:-|

riflebuilder
01-15-2009, 10:26 AM
I posted this to see if any regular guys have done this. I most likely will not do it but it is fun to think about. The killer for me will be the four sheep, buffallo and Rosies. If you add wolverine to the list not many guys will get it done I have only seen 1 in 30 years of hunting and it was shot by my cousin when we were sheep hunting. Mean little devils it took 20 minutes to die after being shot twice with a 243.

frodo
01-15-2009, 10:32 AM
I have 16 and still climbing

Tikka7mm
01-15-2009, 10:41 AM

Let's see some pics!:biggrin:

TIKA 300
01-15-2009, 07:25 PM
I HAVE 21
still to go

Kody94
01-15-2009, 08:12 PM

Not bad! Your world count must be over 25 eh? Still envious about your BC Ram Slam. :)

crazy ducker
01-15-2009, 09:03 PM
a guy in tsawassen I think has it. i know he's got it in turkeys and elk and maybe deer now too

happygilmore
01-16-2009, 07:30 AM
what about hybrids?:-P

BiG Boar
01-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Ya, you got to put Hybrids on the list.

riflebuilder
01-19-2009, 07:36 AM
no way on the Hybrids

trapperdan2061
01-19-2009, 09:18 AM
I think Turkey should be on the list they are hard to get at times.

I have 3 on the list hope to add 2 more this year.

boxhitch
01-19-2009, 08:29 PM
When you get into ' checklist hunting' , the guy with the most $ wins......guided dozens of em....take note , Jim was guided to most of his animals.
Sadly , most the ' checklist hunters' I have guided over the years seem to have lost the passion for the ' whole deal' and mainly focus on the tape measure/ getting their ass's outta there after the kill to rush home and win the ' pissing contest' .:-|Sad but true. Collectors, not hunters.

moose2
01-05-2010, 02:21 AM
14 so far for me

bison
mule deer
whitetail
c blacktail
canada moose
stone sheep
grizzly
wolf
caribou
rm elk
mountain goat
vi black bear
mainland bear
coyote

hunter1947
01-05-2010, 04:58 AM
The desert big horn is a hard grand slam to get ,you have to hunt in the states in order to get one and there on a draw system..

The Roosevelt elk are another hard one to get for the grand slam as well ,I have been putting in for 34 years and got picked one time ,have not got a draw sense 1988..

Manglinmike
01-05-2010, 05:09 PM
I have taken 12 of the animals listed and every one of them came from my own efforts and from the effort of friends, the way hunting should be! ( HOLY CR#P I'M STARTING TO SOUND LIKE MY OLD MAN!!!)

HailCall
01-05-2010, 05:23 PM
I am jealous of all of you. I cannot even complete a Nebraska slam due to unable to draw an Elk or antelope tag lol. I due have all but 3 duck species in the central flyway though lol. I am missing hooded meganser, goldeneye, and a cinnamon teal. Last has been showing up so I count em lol. I have had cracks at the other two it just happens everytime I get one soemthing stupid happend sling gets caught, duck gets knocked down we don't send dog wind is blowing it into other shore line duck get up lol. I am actually nicknamed fishduck because of my bad luck with goldeneyes and Hoodies.

yukon john
01-05-2010, 05:34 PM

I , personally , would have HUGE respect for the ' regular joe resident ' who had a regular job , pay , vacation time ,wife/kids and pulled off the 'list' of trophy's mentioned !!.......
Sadly , most the ' checklist hunters' I have guided over the years seem to have lost the passion for the ' whole deal' and mainly focus on the tape measure/ getting their ass's outta there after the kill to rush home and win the ' pissing contest' .:-|
amen to that pro guide sometimes I think we are just glorified babysitters least we get to spend 5 months a year in the bush.

yukon john
01-05-2010, 05:35 PM
I have got 7 with hopes and dreams of many more

BiG Boar
01-05-2010, 05:51 PM
I got a long way to go. 2 years of hunting and I have 4 species in BC. I have tried for many more but all attempts have been unsucceful. Maybe this year will be my lucky LEH year!

ChilliwackWinchester
01-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Agreed, it should be included.

I heard he's had some trouble getting the Bison due to all the "resident poachers"

f350ps
01-05-2010, 10:02 PM
a guy in tsawassen I think has it. i know he's got it in turkeys and elk and maybe deer now too
Rumour starter!!!! :-D K

crazy ducker
01-05-2010, 10:13 PM
is it you f350, it can't be i heard your truck is broken

redcomet
01-06-2010, 01:02 AM
Going from the first post, and off the hip, isn't there a difference from the Mountain caribou and Woodland caribou in BC? Although the Itcha-Ilgachuz herd may be caught in the middle somewhere?

Is there a recognized big game desigantion diffence between the southern and northern caribou in BC?

Darksith
01-06-2010, 01:40 PM
how can you legally shoot 2 moose in a year? Same with the sheep, sub species don't matter do they? Provincial bag limits still apply don't they?

Plus where can you hunt woodland cariboo anymore? The tweedsmuir herd doesn't have a LEH anymore.

srupp
01-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Hmmm

shiras moose
Canadian Moose
Rocky mt elk
columbia black tail
mule deer
whitetail deer
black bear
grizzly (coastal and interior :wink:)
Californian bighorn
Stone sheep..YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWW
wolf
coyote

hmmm 12...

with a cougar hunt coming up...:mrgreen:

none guided..all pretty much do it yourself hunts..even the stone hunt Scott nor I had ever been in there before...

Just a regular guy enjoying hunting in BC...:mrgreen:

sTEVEN

Been in on 3 more species that I let my partner had first "dibs" on shots and then didnt see another shootable animal...

BiG Boar
01-06-2010, 02:44 PM

sTEVEN

Regular my arse, more like kicking ass and cutting tags guy. :mrgreen:

By the time I am your age though....:)

BlacktailStalker
01-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Hmmm

shiras moose
Canadian Moose
Rocky mt elk
columbia black tail
mule deer
whitetail deer
black bear
grizzly (coastal and interior :wink:)
Californian bighorn
Stone sheep..YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWW
wolf
coyote

hmmm 12...

with a cougar hunt coming up...:mrgreen:

none guided..all pretty much do it yourself hunts..even the stone hunt Scott nor I had ever been in there before...

sTEVEN

Been in on 3 more species that I let my partner had first "dibs" on shots and then didnt see another shootable animal...

Thats a good list.
He scouted it and saw good rams I thought but you were the first guy he took in there no ?

BiG Boar
01-06-2010, 02:48 PM
The most you could do in one year is 13 on your own. Due to tags and what not. Now I have a goal for this year.:)

KB90
01-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Shiras Moose - :(
Canadian Moose - :(
Rocky Mountain Elk - :(
Rosevelt Elk - :(
Columbian Black Tail - :(
Sitka Black Tail - :(
Whitetail Deer - :(
Mule Deer - :mrgreen:
Fallow Deer - :(
Black Bear (mainland) - :(
Black Bear (QCI or VI) - :(
Mountain Goat - :(
Mountain caribou - :(
Grizzly Bear - :(
California Bighorn Sheep - :(
Rocky Mnt. Bighorn Sheep - :(
Stone's Sheep - :(
Dall's Sheep - :(
Wolf - :(
Cyotee - :mrgreen:
Cougar - :(
Lynx - :(
Bobcat - :(

Not much progress but I don't really have any interest in completing this list. Although I would like to try hunting an eating every species that I can.

srupp
01-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Blacktail stalker..nope..neither Scott nor I had ever been in there at all...and it was just the two of us..LOL we both worked for that ram.....

Dave you are indeed going to be far far beyond my reach in just a couple of years, your young full of pi$$ and vinegar, strong, determained. a GREAT learner who has NO FEAR,..oh ya one last attribute.....

you dont work as a Paramedic..so $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ isnt an issue:eek:..lol....you do make a much better living..yes you earn it and I couldnt do your job...\\

I dont measure myself against others..I am unique..in there are only 2 of me..(Im a twin ) and my physical limitations, time , finances ,knowlege, determanation and desires are so different than anyone else..

Yet to do??? Dall...rocky mtn bighorn.... and 60" Canadian moose one for the wall..

cheers
Steven

riflebuilder
01-07-2010, 07:01 AM
I was just wondering if anyone here has shot one of all the species available in BC. That would be a great accomplishment and worthy of note.

The list to make it more of a challenge should include the major sub species as well the cats too.

So here is the list:

Shiras Moose :)
Canadian Moose
Rocky Mountain Elk :)
Rosevelt Elk
Columbian Black Tail :)
Sitka Black Tail
Whitetail Deer :)
Mule Deer :)
Fallow Deer :)
Black Bear (mainland) :)
Black Bear (QCI or VI) :)
Mountain Goat :)
Mountain caribou :)
Grizzly Bear :)
California Bighorn Sheep
Rocky Mnt. Bighorn Sheep
Stone's Sheep
Dahl's Sheep
Wolf :mrgreen:
Cyotee :)
Cougar
Lynx
Bobcat

23 game animal in the slam I have 12 hmmmm..... next year it is Sitka Blacktails on the QCI's with maybe a trip for stone's again before the knees are gone.

I got a wolf this year the one that bit me....lol

Ruger4
01-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Shiras Moose
Canadian Moose :-D
Rocky Mountain Elk
Rosevelt Elk
Columbian Black Tail
Sitka Black Tail
Whitetail Deer :-D
Mule Deer :-D
Fallow Deer
Black Bear (mainland) :-D
Black Bear (QCI or VI) :-D
Mountain Goat :-D
Mountain caribou
Grizzly Bear
California Bighorn Sheep :-D
Rocky Mnt. Bighorn Sheep
Stone's Sheep
Dahl's Sheep
Wolf
Cyotee :-D
Cougar :-D
Lynx
Bobcat :-D

hopefully grizz and elk this year

hunter1947
01-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Its real hard to complete the slam when you might never get picked for LEH for Roosevelt ,I know someone that has all the slam except the Roosevelt elk ,when he comes over to see my Roosevelt elk he starts muttering and crying saying I hope I get a Roosevelt LEH draw before I am dead and berried..

BiG Boar
01-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Roosevelt and the bison for sure would be tricky. The Dall looks like it would have to be last on the list too. The cougar you pretty much need to hire a guide or live in serious cougar country. Its going to be a tough one. That is for sure!

boxhitch
01-07-2010, 08:39 AM
If the list is to include all huntable species, more could be added.
All the birds, bison, wolverine .......

Then there is the Big Game list ......

Is there an open season on seals yet ??? :wink:

riflebuilder
01-07-2010, 09:00 AM
I hopefully will get the chance to harvest a cougar this winter. I almost always buy a tag and the one year i don't I had two seperate times I could of shot one....I am breaking down and going on a guided hunt.

cavebear
01-13-2010, 08:27 PM
I just trying to get the island slam never mind all of bc,
cave bear
blacktail
cougar
wolf
got two so far bear and the blacktail

mainland only
mulies coyotes and one goat:mrgreen:

gibblewabble
01-13-2010, 08:57 PM
It would be something to aim for and I am going to set it as a goal, at 37 I will have to start this year.

threedhunter
01-14-2010, 12:40 AM
missing a moose , guys, 6-28/29 alaska yukon and dakota whitetail.

WoodOx
09-06-2010, 06:18 PM
about where in BC do moose transfer from shiras to canadian
and
about where on the coast do Columbian turn to Sitka?

BiG Boar
09-07-2010, 12:09 AM
One more checked off the list. Whitetail. Next week, moose, then elk and goat. Its go time.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-07-2010, 07:40 AM
One more checked off the list. Whitetail. Next week, moose, then elk and goat. Its go time.

Wasn't that part of your "Manitoba Slam"??:wink:

SSS

SHAKER
09-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Tall order......
Canada Moose
RM Elk
Colum. blk tail
Whitetail
Muley
Mainland blk Bear
Islnd. blk Bear
Cali Sheep
Yote
Cougar
Lynx
Bobcat

Goat will be attemped this year as well as Rocky's.

Mtn Wonderer
09-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Shiras Moose - Yep
Canadian Moose
Rocky Mountain Elk -
Rosevelt Elk
Columbian Black Tail - Yep
Sitka Black Tail
Whitetail Deer - Yep
Mule Deer - Yep
Fallow Deer
Black Bear (mainland) -Yep