PDA

View Full Version : Moose in Region 3

Sooke Hunter
01-13-2009, 12:59 AM
I've hunted lots for mulies in region 3 for the last 20 years in November. We have drawn LEH bull moose authorizations in this region many times and have never scored. This year I want to get a moose. Where in region 3 should I focus (LEH or regular season regs)......enough mule deer.....time for a moose!!!!!!!! Cow, calf bull.....really doesn't matter. Bull would be my preference but whichever!:-D

hunter1947
01-13-2009, 06:31 AM
I would not depend on an LEH authorization tag for moose ,the population for moose in region 3 don't carry many moose ,there are some places that do have some numbers to be found ,but there far and few between..

Why not go and hunt a bull moose where it is GOS as for other different species that will be open at the same time ???.

Rob
01-13-2009, 06:45 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if we see some changes in reg 3 in regards to Moose, maybe not so much the LEH, but in the Immature season. The co's havent been impressed by the amount of abandoned moose kills, guess people arent taking the time, to count tines. Sorry to go off topic. Lac Le juene is a good spot to look at. Rob

3kills
01-13-2009, 08:36 AM
i would like to see the immature season closed and go all leh and maybe hand out a few extra leh's

cariboobill
01-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Hello:

I hunt Region 3 for the open season moose when I do not have a LEH for my moose honey hole. But the problem is hunters without a LEH hunting the open season immature. Some pull the trigger on what they think is a immature and find it is not when it is down. SO they leave it and then the CO's have a decision to make. Close to LEH or???

So where ever you go make sure you are 100% sure of the immature of a Bull. The look very different than a deer and lay flatter to the head.

LEH works well. But for us folks who live on wild meat, having an open season close to home when one cannot get an LEH is nice. Region 5 experieced the problem of left moose during the last open season for immatures. I has not been opened sinced and is recoverying from that experiment of opening for immatures.

Regards

Bill

Dirty
01-13-2009, 09:12 AM
There are better Regions to hunt than Region 3 if you are after moose. The LEH odds are high, the moose populations are not as dense, and the hunting pressure is as intense or more intense than other regions. I assume you are choosing Region 3 because it is close, and not because you live there. You are probably road hunting and want to keep things as cheap as possible. After you factor in driving a million miles to look for a moose in Region 3, you would be better off to go to Region 7.

Rob
01-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Dirty is right, there are better regions to go to for moose. I put in for my moose LEH here, only because I live here and mulies are my animal of choice. If I was serious on a moose hunt I would look north. Rob

Woodpile
01-13-2009, 09:43 AM
We got an LEH last year in region 3 for a cow and we didn't see a thing. The problem was that the gov't lets farmers let their cows graze all over the place pushing the moose out. It even snowed for us at the end and we saw no tracks whatsoever.

Rob
01-13-2009, 10:17 AM
We also had an LEH for Nov. 3 years ago, it either snowed(wet) or rained every day. The weather stayed right around 0 degrees. The only thing we saw in 5 days was a lynx. Post rut hunting sucks!:mad: Rob

Stillhunting
01-13-2009, 11:01 AM
I have to agree with what most people have said regarding moose in region 3. There are better places to go, if a moose is all you are after. That being said the highest density of moose that I have ever seen is in a little spot in region 3. The largest moose we ever shot was also in region 3 (695lbs dressed), so they're around and they can grow to some impressive sizes in high quality habitat. I wouldn't be surprised if the GOS for spike-forks gets cancelled though because of the inability of some ignorant hunters to count tines, or just the lack of respect they have for game, and other hunters. I've heard of several more cases this year of mature bulls being left to rot in region 3. COs where I live had a lot of people report themselves the previous year and only ended up fining one person, but hardly anyone self reported this year, and I doubt it's because there was no one shooting illegal animals. I really hope that these bad apples don't spoil this hunting opportunity for the rest of us hunters who respect the regs, but my experience in life has been that this is not the case. I think Clearwater is the place to put in for the LEH, though.

3kills
01-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Hello:

I hunt Region 3 for the open season moose when I do not have a LEH for my moose honey hole. But the problem is hunters without a LEH hunting the open season immature. Some pull the trigger on what they think is a immature and find it is not when it is down. SO they leave it and then the CO's have a decision to make. Close to LEH or???

So where ever you go make sure you are 100% sure of the immature of a Bull. The look very different than a deer and lay flatter to the head.

LEH works well. But for us folks who live on wild meat, having an open season close to home when one cannot get an LEH is nice. Region 5 experieced the problem of left moose during the last open season for immatures. I has not been opened sinced and is recoverying from that experiment of opening for immatures.

Regards

Bill

region 5 immature season wasnt closed cuz of people shooting illegal animals andleavin them...it was closed to due the protests of the season..

Rob
01-13-2009, 12:18 PM
IIRC it was the natives protesting that shut down the Moose in reg#5

Sooke Hunter
01-13-2009, 09:55 PM
There are better Regions to hunt than Region 3 if you are after moose. The LEH odds are high, the moose populations are not as dense, and the hunting pressure is as intense or more intense than other regions. I assume you are choosing Region 3 because it is close, and not because you live there. You are probably road hunting and want to keep things as cheap as possible. After you factor in driving a million miles to look for a moose in Region 3, you would be better off to go to Region 7.
That makes sense.....where might you suggest (approx) to try up there? Are there mulies there as well? Thanks for your info!

Dirty
01-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Sooke Hunter,

Do you want to hunt moose in Region 7? Anywhere up near Vanderhoof is good. I had family that used to live up near there and there were tons of moose. Try and coordinate things with calf season, so as to give your hunting partners opportunities too.

Jelvis
01-13-2009, 10:12 PM
If you hunt moose early up to nov you'll need a cooler to hang it otherwise too warm out in October. So plan for that too. Leh is later I think in nov so that might be your only hope.

Caveman
01-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Moose being shot and left is nothing new in region 3. It happens every year. I hunt only a very small part of region 3 for spike/fork bulls and on an average year will come across or hear of four or five. Moose populations will be the major factor that leads to LEH only. Naturally, moose shot first identified later, will eventually factor into that. The ministry has factored a number of these into the formula of what will be an acceptable number of harvested animals each year, or killed the predators. As long as the population stays stable or increases moderately you will not likely see any changes except in the number of available LEH

If I was you I'd rather plan a trip to a region with a open bull or even a mature/10 point - spike/fork season. You're odds are better than the elusive spike/fork. You're probably going for a week anyways. Drive a little further and further guarantee your success rate